• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It would be great if you could at least cover the events up to the relative Roman-Sassanian detente of mid 5th century.

But seriously, your series is fantastic and you should think about publishing it.

It would be great if you could at least cover the events up to the relative Roman-Sassanian detente of mid 5th century.

But seriously, your series is fantastic and you should think about publishing it.

Thank you for your appreciation. I think that if I continue, I will divide the whole thing into four or maybe five threads, as it would make sense chronologically. "The Rise of the Sasanians" should cover events until no later than the 299 CE Peace of Nisibis or the end of Narsē’s reign three years later. The following thread should cover the events in the IV century CE, centered around the long reign of Šābuhr II, which is considered the first "golden age" of Sasanian Iran. The third thread should cover the deep crisis of the Sasanian empire in the V century CE, beginning with the reign of Yazdgird I until the end of the reign of Kavad I. The fourth thread could cover the second "golden age" of Sasanian Iran under Khusrō I and maybe his successor Hormazd IV. And the last thread could cover the reign of Khusrō II and the fall of the Sasanian empire.

At least, this is the idea I’m toying around now with.

Thank you for your appreciation. I think that if I continue, I will divide the whole thing into four or maybe five threads, as it would make sense chronologically. "The Rise of the Sasanians" should cover events until no later than the 299 CE Peace of Nisibis or the end of Narsē’s reign three years later. The following thread should cover the events in the IV century CE, centered around the long reign of Šābuhr II, which is considered the first "golden age" of Sasanian Iran. The third thread should cover the deep crisis of the Sasanian empire in the V century CE, beginning with the reign of Yazdgird I until the end of the reign of Kavad I. The fourth thread could cover the second "golden age" of Sasanian Iran under Khusrō I and maybe his successor Hormazd IV. And the last thread could cover the reign of Khusrō II and the fall of the Sasanian empire.

At least, this is the idea I’m toying around now with.
So much goodness! I would love to read all that.

If I were your editor, I might nitpick about the balance between Persian and Roman chapters. Not that the latter aren't interesting (they are, and always well-written) but in a series about the Sasanians their main point is to show why Rome didn't have time and resources to devote to its eastern borders, and that can be done without going into such detail on each and every short-lived emperor. Alternatively, you might just retitle the first volume to reflect where the focus really is.

So much goodness! I would love to read all that.

If I were your editor, I might nitpick about the balance between Persian and Roman chapters. Not that the latter aren't interesting (they are, and always well-written) but in a series about the Sasanians their main point is to show why Rome didn't have time and resources to devote to its eastern borders, and that can be done without going into such detail on each and every short-lived emperor. Alternatively, you might just retitle the first volume to reflect where the focus really is.

Yes, I do realize that I get a bit carried away with the Roman stuff; I think it’s mainly due to the sheer amount of information available about Roman history compared to the much scarcer amount of books and papers available about Sasanian history (and it’s even worse about Arsacid Iran).

24.5 EVENTS IN THE SASANIAN EMPIRE AFTER ŠĀBUHR I’S DEATH. THE REIGN OF CARUS.
24.5 EVENTS IN THE SASANIAN EMPIRE AFTER ŠĀBUHR I’S DEATH. THE REIGN OF CARUS.

The history of the Sasanian empire in the three decades between the death of Šābuhr I and the end of the III century CE is poorly documented in ancient records, and archaeology and numismatics offer very little help. The uncertainty begins with the death date of Šābuhr I himself. According to Manichean traditions, he ruled for thirty-one years, but scholars dispute if these thirty-one years should be counted from the date of his coronation as Ardaxšir I’s co-ruler in 240 CE or from the start of his reign as sole king in 242 CE. And then there are the vagaries of the different calendars used: Julian calendar, Seleucid era (used in many Manichaean accounts), regnal years of Sasanian kings, Roman calendar (dating according to consulships), Greek calendar (dating according to Olympiads), regnal years of Roman emperors ... As a result, different scholars offer two different dates for Šābuhr I’s death: May 270 CE or May 272 CE (as I wrote in a previous post).

As you can imagine, I’m not a scholar and I’m beyond confused by all this, but to give some sense of chronological coherence to this thread, I’m going to assume (if I don’t say explicitly otherwise) that Šābuhr I died in May 270 CE, following the 2002 article by the Iranian scholar Shapur Shahbazi in the Encyclopaedia Iranica. This is important because otherwise it’s difficult to ascertain which Sasanian king coincided in time with which Roman emperor.

Of Šābuhr I’s four male sons, Šābuhr king of Mesān is considered by scholars to have died before his father, so Šābuhr I was survived by three male sons, which were (ordered according to age):
  • Bahrām, king of Gēlān.
  • Hormazd-Ardaxšīr, Great King of Armenia.
  • Narsē, king of India, Sakestān and Turān “to the seashore”.
In Iranian society, the customary order of succession was not by age in the male line, instead agnatic primogeniture was preferred. In the case of Šābuhr I’s succession, the crown went not to the eldest male heir (Bahrām, king of Gēlān) but to the second eldest son Hormazd-Ardaxšīr, Great King of Armenia, who as we’ve seen in a previous post was honored above all his brothers in Šābuhr I’ great inscription at Naqš-e Rostam. Thus, he became the new šāhān šāh and is known by modern historians as Hormazd I.

Hormazd-I-02.jpg

Silver drahm of Hormazd I.

As for the territorial situation in the Middle East after the death of Šābuhr I, it’s very difficult to ascertain what was the exact border between the two empires, because the sources are contradictory, and this time epigraphy and numismatics offer little help (as I stated before).

The main point of contention of course is the status of Upper Mesopotamia. Modern scholars consider quite probable that after Valerian´s defeat at Edessa, the Sasanians seized control over this Roman province, or at least over its central and eastern parts, including the capital Nisibis, and that these areas remained under Sasanian control until the reign of Narsē. But let’s see what the sources say. According to Zosimus:

The Scythians had laid waste to Greece and had even taken Athens by siege, when Gallienus advanced against those who were already in possession of Thrace, and ordered Odaenathus of Palmyra, a person whose ancestors had always been highly respected by the emperors, to assist in the east which was then in a very desperate condition. Accordingly, having joined to the remnants of the legions in the east the maximum number of his own troops, he attacked Šābuhr with great vigor; and having taken several cities belonging to the Persians, he also retook Nisibis, which Šābuhr had formerly taken and which favored the Persian cause, by a first assault and ravaged it.

According to Jordanes’ Historia romana:

Before him (i.e. Aurelian), Odaenathus the Palmyrene with a band of rustics had expelled the Persians from Mesopotamia and had occupied it.

According to Eutropius:

But while these events were taking place in Gaul (i.e. the usurpation of Tetricus), the Persians in the East were overthrown by Odaenathus, who, having defended Syria and recovered Mesopotamia, went into (enemy) territory as far as Ctesiphon.

According to the SHA:

In the consulship of Gallienus and Saturninus, Odaenathus, king of the Palmyrenes, held the rule over the entire East, chiefly for the reason that by his brave deeds he had shown himself worthy of the insignia of such great majesty, whereas Gallienus was doing nothing at all or else only what was extravagant, or foolish and deserving of ridicule. Now at once he proclaimed a war on the Persians to exact for Valerian the vengeance neglected by Valerian’s son. He immediately occupied Nisibis and Carrhae, the people of which surrendered, reviling Gallienus.

And according to Orosius’ Adversus paganos:

But in the east, Odaenathus gathered a band of peasants and overcame and repulsed the Persians, defended Syria, recovered Mesopotamia, and the Syrian peasants with their leader, Odaenathus, went as far as Ctesiphon.

The problem is that all the remaining sources say nothing of the sort, that there’s no epigraphic or numismatic evidence available (the Roman mint at Nisibis ceased its minting before 260 CE) and that according to all extant sources Diocletian seized Upper Mesopotamia (including Nisibis) from the Sasanians in the First Peace Treaty of Nisibis in 299 CE, which automatically implies that before this time it had been under Sasanian control.

Some scholars make an educated guess and hypothesize that perhaps Nisibis was temporarily recovered by Odaenathus, then lost again sometime later (perhaps after the fall of Palmyra), then perhaps recovered again by Probus or Carus (more about this in a short while) and perhaps lost again after Probus’ murder or Carus’ death. But as you can see, it’s all very hazy.

Practically nothing is known about the short reign of Hormazd I. According to the X-XI century CE Islamic scholar Abu Manşūr Al-Tha'ālibī, he “ruled with justice”, built several new cities and campaigned against “the Sogdians” in Central Asia; he was victorious in this campaign, settled the borders to the Sasanians’ advantage and imposed tribute on the vanquished foes. He then returned to Staķr in Pārs, where he died after a reign that lasted only one year. His warlike character is confirmed by the ŠKZ and Greek and Roman chroniclers (he was an accomplished commander in the Roman campaigns of his father) and also by Manichaean texts in Sogdian and Pahlavi, and in the Arabic tradition; in both of these traditions he’s called “Hormazd the Brave” or “Hormazd the Courageous”. Manichaean texts are extraordinarily positive towards this king, and according to these accounts Hormazd stopped the persecution against Manichaeans (that his father Šābuhr I probably started during the last years of his reign) and opened again the doors of the royal court to Mani. According to some Manichaean texts, Hormazd I even converted to Manicheism and paid homage to Mani as the true prophet, but the historicity of such accounts is extremely dubious (and totally unsupported outside the Manichean tradition).

Hormazd I died at Staķr in Pārs in June 271 (according to Shapur Shahbazi). He had one son called Hormozdak, but for some reason (perhaps he was too young?) he was instead succeeded by his elder brother Bahrām king of Gēlān, known in modern historiography as Bahrām I. The reason why he succeeded his deceased brother instead of his other brother Narsē is a puzzle to historians. In the ŠKZ, Šābuhr I clearly favored Narsē above Bahrām, and he held titles that were much more important than Bahrām’s (“king of India, Sakestān and Turān” vs. the relatively insignificant title of “king of Gēlān”). Scholars have been unable to discover if there was some sort of powerful lobby behind Bahrām’s rise to the throne, other than the support of Kirdēr the hērbed, who at the time of Bahrām I’s accession was still not such an important figure. Precisely, his steady rise to the highest echelons of the society of Ērānšāhr began under Bahrām I and reached its zenith under his son and successor Bahrām II. According to V. Lukonin, H. Humbach and and P. O. Skjærvø, Narsē must’ve seen Bahrām I’s accession as an usurpation, and it’s probably at this time that in order to mollify his brother Bahrām I bestowed on him the prestigious title of Great King of Armenia; apparently though this was conditioned to Narsē’s abdication from his eastern titles, or at least from that of king of Sakestān, as later events during Bahrām II’s reign will show. In Manichean sources, Bahrām I is depicted in a negative way, because he was the king who ordered the arrest and “martyrdom” of Mani at Gundešapur in 274 CE; according to these sources Bahrām I was a dissolute monarch who devoted all his time to hunting, drinking and feasting. Iranian sources (mainly transmitted via later Islamic authors) give an opposite view and depict him as a benevolent, just and worthy king. Other than Mani’s death, there are no further events recorded for his reign. He was the ruling šāhān šāh during the war between Zenobia and Aurelian, and some scholars speculate about some sort of intervention by Bahrām I in the conflict (based mostly on the fact that Zenobia was captured by Aurelian’s soldiers while trying to escape into the Sasanian empire), but there’s no historical evidence to corroborate this hypothesis in extant sources.

Bahram-I-02.jpg

Investiture relief of Bahrām I (right) who is receiving the "diadem of power" from Ohrmazd.

Bahrām I died apparently due to natural causes in September 274 CE and was succeeded by his son Bahrām II, in what seems to have been a mostly peaceful but still controversial succession. Bahrām II’s reign was to be quite longer than the ones of his two immediate predecessors (he ruled from September 274 CE until late 291 CE). The great figure of his reign was the mowbedān mowbed Kirdēr, who rose to unprecedented heights for a priest: not only does he appear in several of Bahrām II’s great rock reliefs, but he got to carve four great rock inscriptions boasting of his own accomplishments, two of them next to royal rock reliefs (at Naqš-e Rostam and Naqš-e Rajab). There’s no record that this ever happened again during all the remaining existence of the Sasanian empire. According to Kirdēr’s own account in his four rock inscriptions, Bahrām II regarded the high priest Kirdēr as his mentor and bestowed on him many honors and the title “savior of Bahrām’s soul”, promoted him to the rank of noble (wuzurg), appointed him the custodian of the dynastic shrine of Ādur Anāhīd at Staķr in Pārs, and made him the supreme judge of the empire. According to Kirdēr’s inscriptions, under his own influence and leadership the consolidation of the state religion continued and non-Zoroastrians, such as the Manicheans and Christians, were persecuted, although this point has been put into question by modern scholars. Manichean writings record indeed a persecution, but there’s no extant evidence in Christian or Jewish texts.

Bahram-II-02-Naqsh-ERustam.jpg

Bahrām II’s rock relief at Naqsh-e Rostam surrounded by the grandees of his empire. The bearless figure to the left is Kirdēr.

Apart from religious affairs and the growing influence of Kirdēr, Bahrām II’s reign was much less calm than his father’s one. As we’ve seen, Probus took in the Fall of 279 CE the title Persicus Maximus, but scholars don’t know why. The only ancient source that hints at some sort of conflict in the Middle East during Probus’ reign is the HA, with its customary problems of reliability:

Having finally established peace in all parts of Pamphylia and the other provinces adjacent to Isauria, he turned his course to the East. He also subdued the Blemmyae, and the captives taken from them he sent back to Rome and thereby created a wondrous impression upon the amazed Roman people. Besides this, he rescued from servitude to the barbarians the cities of Coptos and Ptolemais and restored them to Roman laws. By this he achieved such fame that the Parthians (sic) sent envoys to him, confessing their fear and arrogance and then went back to their homes in greater fear than before. The letter, moreover, which he wrote to Narseus (sic), rejecting the gifts which the king had sent, is said to have been as follows: “I marvel that you have sent us so few of the riches, all of which will shortly be ours. For the time being, keep all those things in which you take such pleasure. If ever we wish to have them, we know how we ought to get them”. On the receipt of this letter Narseus was greatly frightened, the more so because he had learned that Coptos and Ptolemais had been set free from the Blemmyae, who had previously held them, and that they, who had once been the terror of nations, had been put to the sword.

There are several problems with this text. The first one is that the SHA are wrong with the name of the ruling šāhān šāh: at that time it was Bahrām II who ruled over the Sasanian empire, not Narsē. And the second one is that the SHA greatly exaggerate the power of the Blemmyes: they were a nomadic people who launched raids on upper Egypt from time to time, but the Egyptian garrison was usually more than enough to keep them at bay (and keep it mind that the 20,000 men garrisoned in Egypt were kept mostly in the north near Alexandria, for fear of uprisings or rioting in the city, only a tiny fraction of these forces was posted in upper Egypt). Gerald Kreucher speculated that perhaps Probus’ envoys (because as we’ve seen the emperor was probably in the Balkans or in Rome by this time) struck some sort of diplomatic deal directly with Narsē in the latter’s capacity of Great King of Armenia, a deal that was perceived as advantageous to Rome, but there’s no evidence supporting this, or an open war at this time between both empires. The SHA also attribute to Probus the intention of launching a war against the Sasanians at the time of his murder, although again there’s no further substantiation for this claim outside of the HA.

But things would heat up soon enough between Rome and Ērānšāhr. According to the eighth of the twelve Panegyrici Latini written during the Tetrarchy, at the time of Probus’ death Bahrām II had to face a great internal revolt in his empire:

Ormias (i.e. Hormazd), with the support of the Sakas and the Rufii and the Geli, attacked the Persians themselves and their king whom he did not respect as sovereign for the sake of majesty nor as a brother for the sake of piety.

The tale by Claudius Mamertinus (the author of this Panegyric) is supported by the SHA, who also state that Carus attacked the Sasanians while they were engaged in civil war:

And so (not to include what is of little importance or what can be found in other writers) as soon as he (i.e. Carus) received the imperial power by the unanimous wish of all the soldiers, he took up the war against the Persians for which Probus had been preparing (…) With a vast array and all the forces of Probus, he set out against the Persians after finishing the greater part of the Sarmatian war, in which he had been engaged, and without opposition he conquered Mesopotamia and advanced as far as Ctesiphon; and while the Persians were busied with internal strife he won the name of Conqueror of Persia.

The identity of the Hormazd who rebelled against Bahrām II is not clear. The name is one used by the Sasanian royal family, and so he was probably a member of the royal family, and according to Mamertinus he was Bahrām II’s brother. Mamertinus writes also that he was supported by the Sakas, the Geli (the Gilani, an Iranian people who lived in Gēlān in northeastern Iran) and the mysterious “Rufii”. J. Markwart proposed an alternate spelling for the word, arguing that the original spelling would have been “Cussis” (corrupted during textual transmissions) which was the Roman name for the Kušan. Could this Hormizd have been Bahram’s brother, who would have been king of the Sakas, Gēlān and Kušanšahr? Opinions are divided among scholars. In the numismatic record appears a certain Hormazd Kušan Šāh, but his chronology is uncertain, and some scholars place him firmly in the IV century CE during Šābuhr II’s reign. Some others like Shapur Shahbazi in his article about Hormazd Kušan Šāh in the Encyclopaedia Iranica, identify him without doubt with the Hormazd who rebelled against Bahrām II. Also, whatever the identity of Hormizd may have been, this also implies that by this date Narsē (now Great King of Armenia) was by this time no longer king in any of the eastern territories (or at least in Sakestān, he could still have kept the titles of king of India and Turān).

Hormizd-I-Kushanshah-Merv-mint.jpg

Silver drahm of Hormazd 1 Kušan Šāh, from the Marv mint.

The latest trends about this issue are summed up by Khodadad Rezakhani in his 2017 book ReOrienting the Sasanians; East Iran in Late Antiquity. In it, Rezakhani proposes a chronology for the Kushano-Sasanian kings and sets firmly at the third Kušan Šāh a certain Hormazd 1 (to avoid confusions with the “imperial” Sasanians, Arabic numerals are used for Kushano-Sasanian kings) who ruled between 275 and 300 CE, but he also refuses firmly the identification of this Hormazd with the “Ormias” of Mamertinus. Although it’s interesting to note that in his coins Hormazd 1 seems to follow a visible tendency towards self-promotion and a greater assertion in front of the “central government”. His early gold issues from Balkh call him “Hormizd, the Great Kušan King” while later issues of gold dinars call him “Hormazd, the Great Kušan King of Kings”. The latest scholarship has rebuilt the genealogical tree of the Sasanian family in the second half of the III century and identifies the rebel with Hormazd Sakān Šāh, son of Šābuhr Mesān Šāh, third son of Šābuhr I. Thus, he was not the brother but a cousin of Bahrām II, but he would have been his brother-in-law as his sister Šāpūrduxtak was married to Bahrām II.

Both the rebellion itself and this growing self-assertion of the cadet branch of the Kushano-Sasanians seem to indicate in many scholars' opinion that Bahrām II was incapable of exerting the same kind of authority and tight control over the nobility and the vassal kings that Ardaxšir I and Šābuhr I had enforced, and as a result the power of the crown declined considerably (a recurring theme in ancient Iranian history, as we’ve seen for the Arsacid period) in front of the wuzurgān and the vassal kings.

A sign of this relative weakness of Bahrām II could be both his willingness to allow Kirdēr to use means of publicity until then strictly reserved for Sasanian kings and their immediate family, and the prominent place in which his wife Šāpūrduxtak was displayed in royal images (although it could also be the case that Bahrām II was exceptionally fond of his wife): she appears in some coins together with her husband and their son and heir (the future Bahrām III) and she appears also (both in image and in the inscription) in several of the rock reliefs engraved by order of her husband. This could be a sign that Bahrām II felt insecure enough on his throne that he felt the need to display very publicly the royal ancestry of her wife, and how their son was a great-grandson of Šābuhr I on both sides.

Bahram-II-01.jpg

Silver drahm of Bahrām II with his wife and son.

The rebellion of Hormazd Sakān Šāh offered a golden opportunity to the Romans to pounce on Ērānšāhr: a civil war of such magnitude had not happened since Ardaxšir I’s uprising against Ardawān V sixty years before. As we saw in the previous post, M. Aurelius Carus had risen to the purple in September or October 282 CE in Pannonia. Carus seems to have been a relative outsider in the tightly knotted group of Illyrian military officers who had enjoyed almost a monopoly on imperial power after Gallienus’ death, as he was a native of Narbo (modern Narbonne) in Gallia Narbonensis. He was also the first emperor since Gallienus to have male heirs; he had two sons old enough to succeed him. The eldest was M. Aurelius Carinus (born in 250 CE) and the youngest was M. Aurelius Numerius Numerianus (born in 253 CE). His first act of government in November 282 CE was to raise them both to the rank of caesar, signaling thus his intention to start a dynasty.

The situation that Carus found himself in during the late Fall of 282 CE was a singular one that had not happened in decades: there were no immediate threats in any of the empire’s frontiers, the Sasanian empire was engulfed in civil war and the emperor had just been raised to the purple and felt insecure in his post. The solution was an obvious one: grasp the opportunity and launch a campaign against the Sasanians in which the emperor could win prestige and secure his grasp on power. According to IV century CE Latin sources (especially the SHA), all Roman emperors after Gallienus had planned a reprisal campaign against the Sasanians to avenge the great shame of Valerian’s defeat at Edessa. The veracity of these sources in this respect is dubious to say the least according to contemporary scholars, but Carus clearly jumped at the opportunity.

Carus-I-I.jpg

Aureus of Carus. On the obverse, IMP(erator) C(aesar) M(arcus?) AVR(elius) CARVS P(Ius) F(elix) AVG(gustus). On the reverse, SPES PVBLICA (hope of the people).

First of all, Carus and his sons travelled to Rome, where at the start of the new consular year in January 283 CE Carus and Carinus were appointed ordinary consuls by the Senate. But very soon after the necessary ceremonies, Carus and Numerian left Rome to join their army in the Balkans and marched towards the East. Carus left his eldest son Carinus behind to act as his regent in the West. By the Spring they were at Antioch and from there they proceeded at full speed towards the Euphrates. They followed this river downstream and entered the Sasanian empire meeting no serious resistance until they reached Seleucia, which put up a stiff resistance and had to be stormed. After the fall of Seleucia, the Roman army followed its triumphal march and stormed the nearby Sasanian capital of Ctesiphon (Carus and his two sons all took the title of Persicus Maximus). And at this point, the accounts of ancient sources which until now are quite straightforward and don’t contradict each other in important points, become quite strange and contradictory. Let’s see what the ancient sources say about the fate of Carus after the fall of Ctesiphon:

Aurelius Victor, Liber de Caesaribus:

Because all the barbarians, informed of Probus’ death, had, at this opportune moment, invaded the empire, Carus (having first sent his eldest son to protect Gaul) immediately left for Mesopotamia, accompanied by Numerianus, for that country is exposed, as it were, to perennial invasions by the Persians. There he routed the enemy but while passing immodestly and vaingloriously beyond Ctesiphon, the famous city of Parthia, he was consumed by a thunderbolt. Indeed, they report that it deservedly happened to him: for when the oracles had informed him that he could advance in victory as far as the above-mentioned city, he had proceeded further and paid the penalty. Accordingly, it is difficult to change destiny, and for that reason a knowledge of the future is redundant.

Festus, Breviarium:

The victory over the Persians of the emperor Carus seemed to be too mighty in the eyes of divine power. For it undoubtedly incurred divine displeasure and indignation. For when he entered Persia, he devastated it as if no one was defending it, and captured Coche and Ctesiphon, the most distinguished cities of Persia. When in victory he had his camp above the Tigris, he died after being struck by a bolt of lightning.

Flavius Eutropius:

While he (i.e. Carus) was engaged in a war with the Sarmatians, news was brought of an insurrection among the Persians. He set out for the East and achieved some noble exploits against that race of people; he routed them in the field, and took Seleucia and Ctesiphon, their noblest cities, but, while he was encamped on the Tigris, he was killed by lightning.

Jerome, Chronicon:

Carus of Narbo, after laying waste to the entire territory of the Parthians (sic), captured Coche and Ctesiphon, the most famous cities of the enemy. After establishing camp on the Tigris, he was killed by a bolt of lightning.

SHA, Vita Cari:

And so (not to include what is of little importance or what can be found in other writers) as soon as he (i.e. Carus) received the imperial power by the unanimous wish of all the soldiers, he took up the war against the Persians for which Probus had been preparing (…) With a vast array and all the forces of Probus, he set out against the Persians after finishing the greater part of the Sarmatian war, in which he had been engaged, and without opposition he conquered Mesopotamia and advanced as far as Ctesiphon; and while the Persians were busied with internal strife he won the name of Conqueror of Persia. But when he advanced still further, desirous himself of glory and urged on most of all by his prefect, who in his wish to rule was seeking the destruction of both Carus and his sons as well, he met his death, according to some, by disease, according to others, through a stroke of lightning. Indeed, it cannot be denied that at the time of his death there suddenly occurred such violent thunder that many, it is said, died of sheer fright. And so, while he was ill and lying in his tent, there came up a mighty storm with terrible lightning, and, as I have said, still more terrible thunder, and during this he expired. Julius Calpurnius, who used to dictate for the imperial memoranda, wrote the following letter about Carus’ death to the prefect of the city, saying among other things: “When Carus, our prince for whom we truly care, was lying ill, there suddenly arose a storm of such violence that all things grew black and none could recognize another; then continuous flashes of lightning and peals of thunder, like bolts from a fiery sky, took from us all the power of knowing what truly befell. For suddenly, after an especially violent peal which had terrified all, it was shouted out that the emperor was dead. It came to pass, in addition, that the chamberlains, grieving for the death of their prince, fired his tent; and the rumor arose, whatever its source, that he had been killed by the lightning, whereas, as far as we can tell, it seems sure that he died of his illness”. This letter I have inserted for the reason that many declare that there is a certain decree of fate that no Roman emperor may advance beyond Ctesiphon, and that Carus was struck by lightning because he desired to pass beyond the bounds which Fate has set up. But let cowardice, on which courage should set its heel, keep its devices for itself.

Anoymous, Epitome de Caesaribus:

Carus, born in Narbo, ruled for two years. He immediately made Carinus and Numerianus Caesars. He was killed near Ctesiphon by a bolt of lightning.

Orosius, Adversus paganos:

When he (i.e. Carus) had made his sons, Carinus and Numerianus, colleagues in his rule and after he had captured two very famous cities, Coche and Ctesiphon, in a war against the Parthians (sic), in a camp upon the Tigris he was struck by lightning and killed.

Jordanes, Historia Romana:

Carus, who reigned with his sons Carinus and Numerianus, was a native of Gallia Narbonensis. In an admirable fashion he occupied Coche and Ctesiphon, the most noble cities of the Persians, after nearly the whole of Persia had been devastated (…) This same Carus, while laying out camp on (the banks of the) Tigris river, was struck down by a bolt of lightning.

Syncellus:

And, making war on the Persians, he (i.e. Carus) captured Ctesiphon. While he was encamped by the river Tigris, he was killed in his tent by a sudden bolt of lightning.

Cedrenus:

Carus and Carinus and Numerianus reigned for two years. This Carus occupied Persia and Ctesiphon: this is the fourth time that this city had suffered the same fate. (It had been captured before) by Trajan, by Verus, by Severus and by Carus. Carus was killed by plague (…)

Zonaras:

When Carus gained the emperorship, he crowned his sons Carinus and Numerianus with the imperial diadem. And presently he campaigned against the Persians with one of his sons, Numerianus, and he gained Ctesiphon and Seleucia. But the Roman army almost came into dire peril; for they encamped in a hollow. The Persians saw this and through a canal led into that hollow the river which at that point flowed nearby. But Carus was successful in attacking the Persians and put them to flight. And he returned to Rome with a multitude of prisoners and much plunder. Then when the Sarmatian nation rose in revolt he joined battle with them and defeated them and brought their nation under his control. By race he was a Gaul, brave and adept in warfare. But there is no agreed version of his death among our records. For some say that he campaigned against the Huns and was killed there, while others say that he was encamped by the river Tigris, and that there his army had formed an entrenched camp. His tent was hit by a thunderbolt and they relate that he perished in it.

Almost all sources except two state that he was killed by a bolt of lightning. Specifically, all Latin sources except one simply say that he was struck by lightning. Greek sources are more nuanced and say that his tent was struck by lightning. And the SHA openly deride this tale and explain that Carus was lying ill on his bend in his tent, and that the tent was set on fire by “the chamberlains, grieving for the death of their prince” during a thunderstorm, and that Carus was either already dead or died otherwise during the fire (which is implicit in the text). To some extent, this story finds support in Cedrenus’ account, as according to him Carus died due to an illness.

So, the alternatives for Carus´death are:
  • Struck by lightning, possibly in his tent.
  • Death by illness.
  • Death in the fire that consumed his tent, possibly while he was lying ill inside.
The first and third options imply that the tent burnt down and so any traces of what could’ve happened within it would have conveniently disappeared without a trace (the SHA clearly seem to hint at this).

The German historian Gerald Kreucher clearly inclines himself towards the option of a murder conveniently disguised as a lightning stroke and a burning tent. According to Egyptian papyri, the last legal text issued jointly by Carus and Numerian is dated to August 28, 283 CE, and the first one only in Numerian’s name to September 15 of the same year, so Carus’ death probably happened between these two dates or immediately before the first one if we take into accout the time needed for news to travel from Mesopotamia to Egypt.

After Carus’ death Numerian was acclaimed as augustus by the armies in Mesopotamia, while his brother Carinus had been raised to the rank of augustus already between the beginning of March and the middle of May 283 CE, after some successes fighting against Germanic incursions in Gaul.

Numerian-02.jpg

Silver aurelianus of Numerian. On the obverse, IMP NVMERIANVS P(ius) F(elix) AVG(ustus). On the reverse, PROVIDENTIA AVGG (generosity of the augusti).

Western sources say nothing about the return trip of the Roman army to Roman territory, but Kreucher argues (convincingly, in my opinion) that it was not another triumphal march. In a rock relief at Naqš-e Rostam Bahrām II is depicted engaging in horse combat and defeating two enemies. In the upper part of the relief, he appears victorious against a horseman wearing distinctive Roman armor, and in the lower part he dismounts an adversary dressed in Iranian armor, that historians identify with the rebel Hormazd Sakān Šāh. Numerian’s army began is return trip north in early 284 CE and it followed again the Euphrates route. These are not god signs of a Roman victory; as we saw for the retreat of Gordian III’s army, winter and early spring is a bad time of the year to campaign in Mesopotamia, due to the risk of sudden flooding. And retreating along the same Euphrates route they had used in its advance meant that the Roman army was crossing devastated lands, instead of following the much more plentiful route along the east bank of the Tigris like Septimius Severus had done.

Bahram-II-03.jpg

"Victory" relief of Bahrām II at Naqš-e Rostam. In the "jousting" scene on the top, the šāhān šāh is depicted unsaddling an enemy knight dressed in Roman garb. In the lower part of the relief, Bahrām II is about to do the same with another foe dressed in Iranian attire.

These telltale signs may be an indication that perhaps Bahrām II had time to defeat the rebels in the eastern part of his empire and then turn against the Romans before they had time to leave Mesopotamia, and that the Romans had to retreat perhaps while being shadowed at close distance by the army of the šāhān šāh. Scholars are unsure of what happened immediately before the Romans began their retreat: did they have to fight an indecisive battle against the Sasanian army, or did they engage in negotiations with Bahrām II? And what’s more puzzling, if this campaign was such a resounding victory, as western sources state, why doesn’t any one of them address the issues of Armenia and Mesopotamia? Again, there’s no hint at any kind of territorial exchange between the two empires, and at the First peace of Nisibis sixteen years later, it’s stated that the Sasanians were forced to cede Armenia and Mesopotamia to the Romans.

Carinus-02.jpg

Aureus of Carinus while still caesar. On the obverse, M(arcus?) AVR(relius) CARINVS P(ius) F(elix) NOB(ilissimus) CAES(ar). On the reverse, VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM ("victory of the augusti," with Carinus receiving its embodiement from his father Carus).

When news of his father’s death reached him in Gaul, Carinus quickly travelled to Rome, and ensured his grip on the western part of the empire, while the army that Carus had led to the East marched sluggishly westwards under Numerian’s command; by March 284 CE he’d reached only Emesa in Syria, and by November they were still in Bithynia. At an unclear point between these two places though the trip became a strange one, because the emperor literally “became invisible”; he travelled in an enclosed coach and never left his tent. Numerian’s Praetorian Prefect Lucius Flavius Aper (who was also Numerian’s father-in-law), supported by the imperial household, told the army that Numerian suffered from an eye condition and had to avoid exposing his eyes to sunlight. But as time went by, the soldiers became increasingly uneasy with the situation. When the army reached Nicomedia, the army mutinied and asked to see the emperor with their own eyes; after Aper refused they broke anyway into the imperial tent (other versions say that they pulled back the curtains and drapes of the imperial coach) and found Numerian’s corpse. The soldiers quickly accused Aper of murder and arrested him. The army was now leaderless, with Numerian dead and Aper under arrest; but instead of accepting Carinus as the sole ruling augustus, the generals and officers of the imperial comitatus met in a council for the succession and elected as new augustus the commander of the elite cavalry unit of the protectores domestici, the Illyrian general Valerius Diocles, who took the full regnal name of Imperator Caesar Gaius Aurelius Valerius Diocletianus Augustus.

Diocletian-01.jpg

Marble head of Diocletian found during excavations at Iznik (ancient Nicomedia), now in the Archaeological Museum of Istanbul.

The final act of the play took place in a very dramatic manner. On 20 November 284, the army of the east gathered on a hill 5 kilometres outside Nicomedia. The army unanimously acclaimed Diocletian as their new augustus, and he accepted the purple imperial vestments. He raised his sword to the light of the sun and swore an oath disclaiming responsibility for Numerian's death. He asserted that Aper had killed Numerian and concealed it. In full view of the army, Diocletian drew his sword and killed Aper on the spot. According to the HA, he quoted from Virgil while doing so. There was still though the unresolved issue of Carinus, who of course did not accept Diocletian’s elevation to the purple.

Last edited:
24.6 THE REORGANIZATION OF THE ROMAN DEFENSES IN THE EAST BY DIOCLETIAN.
24.6 THE REORGANIZATION OF THE ROMAN DEFENSES IN THE EAST BY DIOCLETIAN.

The death of Numerian and the proclamation of Diocletian as augustus by the imperial comitatus at Nicomedia was received by Carinus who was then at Rome as a usurpation. After deifying his late brother, Carinus gathered his army and marched quickly towards the Balkans. Diocletian was not the only usurper who had appeared after the deaths of Carus and Numerian. In Pannonia, a certain Marcus Aurelius Sabinus Iulianus (governor of one of the two Pannonian provinces or perhaps imperial corrector in the area) was acclaimed as augustus by the Pannonian army and quickly crossed the Alps into Italy; the armies of Carinus and Iulianus fought a battle at Verona in orthern Italy (the exact date is unclear) in which Iulianus was defeated and killed. There’s much confusion around this figure, there’s also the possibility that there were indeed two revolts by two officials with similar names, a certain Sabinus Iulianus in Italy (who would have been an imperial corrector) who would have been defeated at Verona by Carinus, and another evolt by the Praetorian Prefect Sabinus Iulianus who would have revolted also in Italy but who would have been finally defeated in Illyricum. There’s also the possibility that they were one and the same person, and that Iulianus was defeated in two battles, first in Verona and later in Illyricum.

Aureus-Iulianus-Siscia.jpg

Aureus of Sabinus Iulianus, from the Siscia mint. On the obverse, IMP(erator) C(aesar) IVLIANVS P(ius) F(elix) AVG(ustus). On the reverse, LIBERTAS PVBLICA.

After this victory, Carinus resumed his advance eastwards while Diocletian crossed the Bosporus into Europe. The two armies met at the river Margus (the Greater Morava river) in a location that modern scholars have located between Smederevo and Belgrade in Serbia. Carinus seems to have had a popularity problem among his high officers (either that, or Diocletian was just too good at plotting) because not only did the Illyrian governor Flavius Constantius (the future Tetrarch Constantius Chlorus, the father of Constantine the Great) defect to Diocletian’s side just before the battle started, but despite having won the upper hand during the battle, Carinus was murdered by his Praetorian Prefect Titus Claudius Marcus Aurelius Aristobulus who had probably reached a secret agreement with Diocletian beforehand. Diocletian confirmed Aristobulus as Praetorian Prefect and later appointed him as Urban Prefect of Rome.

Diocletian-2.jpg

Aureus of Diocletian. On the obverse, IMP(erator) C(aesar) C(aius) VAL(erius) DIOCLETIANVS P(ius) F(elix) AVG(ustus). On the reverse, the warlike motto MARS VICTOR.

For the sake of brevity, I will skip here a detailed account of Diocletian’s exploits and successes as emperor and will try to limit myself to the deep reorganization of the military and its impact in the defenses of the Roman East. The Diocletianic reforms of the Roman army are a disputed issue which still today is far from clear. Diocletian was not a great reformer in military matters but rather a reorganizer who organized the trends which had developed during the preceding century and gave them a more thorough and permanent basis. The great reforms would have to wait until the reign of Constantine the Great. The most important issue, and perhaps the one which has caused more controversy is the overall size of the Roman army under Diocletian. There are two estimates furnished by ancient authors which differ seriously between them and which have caused scholars to divide into “high counters” and low counters”.

The first source is John Lydus, a bureaucrat who lived under Justinian I (ca. 490 – after 557 CE) and who gave in his work De mensibus (the original was written in Greek) a grand total of 389,704 men for Diocletian’s armies (excluding the fleets). The second source is John Lydus’ contemporary Agathias (530 – 582/594 CE) another Eastern Roman author who in his work On the reign of Justinian wrote that “in earlier times” the army was said to have numbered 645,000 soldiers. As I’ve said before, scholars are still deeply divided about the matter. The “low counters” argue that Lydus’ number is more credible because it’s not a rounded number and is attributed specifically to the reign of Diocletian, and so it could very well have been obtained from an official document. It also aligns itself quite closely to the estimated strength of the Roman army in the II century CE under Hadrian, although it would still fall well below the maximum of the Principate under the Severans (440,000 men). Some historians have tried to reconcile both numbers by suggesting that Agathias’ number was the theoretical maximum strength, but that according to some historical evidence Roman units in the late empire were usually kept at around two thirds of their strength in peacetime, which would mean that Lydus’ number would be the real strength of the army. There’s also the famous quote by the Christian author Lactantius in his De mortibus persecutorum, who wrote that Diocletian increased the army by a factor of four; today this quote is largely discredited because Lactantius hated Diocletian (the last great persecutor of Christians) and his sentence was probably just an attempt to put a negative twist on the fact that the old imperial comitatus of the previous emperors now had to be divided in four smaller ones, one for each augustus and each caesar.

There seems to be consensus in the academia though that Diocletian did increase army numbers, but the problem is quantifying it. The total number of Roman legions increased during the III century during the so-called “military anarchy”, from 33 legions under Septimius Severus to 37-38 legions under Aurelian. The problem is that it’s not clear if these “new legions” were still following the old organization scheme of 5,000 soldiers/legion (aprox.) or if they were smaller units, created from vexillationes of older, larger old model legions which had become permanently unlinked from their “mother unit”. The new legions that are attested during the III century (before 284 CE) in the East are:
  • Legio I Illyricorum, based at Palmyra. Probably created by Aurelian to act as a permanent garrison of the city and control any future uprisings. As its name says, it was formed with soldiers recruited in Aurelian’s homeland.
  • Legio II Isaura and Legio III Isaura, created by Probus to control the rebellious Isaurians in Anatolia. They were most probably small legions, as they were basically a police force.
  • Legio IV Martia, raised by Aurelian to man the limes arabicus. Alternatively, this legion could have been raised ex novo (or perhaps reformed) by Galerius and Diocletian in 293 CE.
By the end of Aurelian’s reign there were 37/38 legions active. Things changed under Diocletian; he raised more legions than any other Roman emperor except Augustus; under him the total number of legions skyrocketed to 53/56. If we take the number of 53/58 legions and multiply it for 5,000 men/legion, we arrive at the staggering amount of 265,000/280,000 legionaries in Diocletian’s army. This was the number proposed by A.H. Jones in 1964 (this is the highest estimate of the “high counters”), to which we could add 250,000 auxiliaries (following the old thumb rule of equal numbers of auxiliaries as legionaries), 24,000 men for the Roman garrison (as proposed by Yann Le Bohec, there seems to be general agreement about this number) and 45,500 men in the fleets. The total numbers serving under arms during Diocletian’s reign would be an impressive 584,000/599,500 men.

The problems with these high estimates are obvious. Apart from the disagreement with Lydus’ (apparently accurate) number, this would mean that under Diocletian the Roman army’s numbers doubled those of Augustus’ army, while the III century had been a century of massive economic loss, sharp demographic contraction and continuous and devastating wars with high levels of material destruction and massive losses in the ranks of the army. Is it credible that Diocletian, skilled administrator as he was, was able of obtaining (and maintaining) such a herculean military and fiscal effort from an exhausted empire? To me, this is the most credible argument of the “low counters”, together with archaeology and some evidence from Egyptian papyri (and some “common sense”, although I hate that expression).

Agathias was a Christian with a pagan background. His quote comes from a work in which he criticized sternly the late emperor Justinian (the work was written under Justinian’s successors, either Justin II or Tiberius I), accusing him of having weakened the Roman army by reducing it to only 150,000 effectives, while “in the past, when the Roman empire was still united”, the army fielded 645,000 men. This data is extremely imprecise and what’s worse is that’s embedded in the kind of polemical work that does not lend itself to historical accuracy.

On the contrary, the data by Lydus is striking by its extreme precision, Lydus was an imperial functionary working in Constantinople during Justinian’s reign, and among other works he wrote erudite treaties about traditional Roman festivities (De mensibus) and Roman magistracies (De magistratibus) not only thanks to his own erudition, but also to his free access to the state’s archives. This adds to the credibility of his data; 389,704 men in the land forces, and 45,562 in the navy, for a grand total of 435,266 men under arms. Many scholars consider this data to be the most reliable one that we have for the numbers of Diocletian’s army, even if there’s the possibility that they only list the numbers when Diocletian rose to the purple, before he began increasing the army’s numbers.

Baths-Diocletian-01.png

On top of all his other achievements, Diocletian was also one of the greatest builder emperors of Rome. His magnum opus was the gigantic Baths of Diocletian in Rome, the largest Roman baths ever built in Antiquity. Here you can see a reconstruction of the façade to the open air swimming pool of the frigidarium.

A further point of contention is the one raised by Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus (active during the reigns of Gratian and Theodosius I) who in his work Epitoma rei militaris wrote that the antiqua legio had a full strength of 6,000 infantrymen and 700 cavalrymen, and scholars consider that with antiqua legio he referred to the legions of Diocletian’s time as Vegetius refers specifically to the legions known as Ioviani and Herculiani, raised during the Tetrarchy. John Lydus and Isidore of Seville also confirm Vegetius’ numbers. Epigraphy seems to confirm this to a point, as Legio II Herculia sent his VII and X cohorts to the North African campaign of Maximian, and this confirms without a doubt that at least this newly raised legion kept the traditional structure of 10 cohorts.

According to the Notitia Dignitatum, by the early V century CE the riverine Danubian legions still kept their structure of ten cohorts per legion, and this has been confirmed by the excavations at Galerius’ palace at Romuliana (Gamzigrad, Serbia).

But on the other side, there’s other data provided by archaeology. The excavations in Egypt and other places along the Danubian border have revealed something different: that the legionary encampments of some of the new legions raised by the Tetrarchy were much smaller than traditional legionary camps, and far too small to lodge a legion of 6,000 infantrymen and 700 cavalrymen. At the most, they would have contained between 1,000 and 1,500 men. So, how can we make some sense out of this mess?

In his PhD thesis L’esercito romano tardoantico: Persistenze e cesure dai Severi a Teodosio I, the Italian scholar Marco Rocco offers the following explanation.

Between 284 and 293 CE, Diocletian and his colleagues raised new legions, following the template of the antiqua legio described by Vegetius, probably by melting together ancient auxiliary units. The number of auxiliary units experienced a drop of more than 50% between the Severans and the Notitia Dignitatum, and Rocco considers that probably it was the Tetrarchs who used these units as the building blocks for their new legions. This would also explain an increase in the number of legions without experiencing a drastic increase in the overall number of soldiers in the army. These legions would have been immediately posted in the borders, especially along the Danube, which during these years was the most problematic border of the empire. These new legions were:
  • Legio I Iovia Scythica.
  • Legio I Martia (or Martiorum).
  • Legio I Noricorum.
  • Legio I Pontica (based at Trapezus in Pontus).
  • Legio II Herculia.
  • Legio V Iovia.
  • Legio VI Herculia.
Between 293 and 299 CE, the Tetrarchs began raising in the West new legions of reduced strength (around 1,000-2,000 men per legion). Also, during this time Galerius and Diocletian created new legions in the East and Egypt by breaking up old legions or from vexillationes of old legions (many of them from Danubian legions) Also at this time, legionary vexillationes from older larger legions were attached to the comitatus of each Tetrarch. The legions raised by these means during this period are:
  • Legio I Armeniaca (based in eastern Anatolia).
  • Legio II Armeniaca (based in eastern Anatolia).
  • Legio I Flavia Constantia.
  • Legio II Flavia Constantia.
  • Legio I Iulia Alpina.
  • Legio II Iulia Alpina.
  • Legio III Iulia Alpina.
  • Legio I Maximiana.
  • Legio I Maximiana Thebaeorum (based in upper Egypt).
  • Legio III Diocletiana (based in Egypt).
  • Legio III Diocletiana Thebaeorum (based in upper Egypt).
  • Legio III Herculia.
  • Legio V Parthica (based in Mesopotamia).
  • Legio VI Parthica (based in Mesopotamia).
  • Legio Tzanni (based in eastern Anatolia).
And finally, between 299 and 306 CE the Tetrarchs kept raising new “small” legions of 1,000 men each, from ancient auxiliary units or from vexillationes of ancient larger legions; these new legions were posted in the borders of the empire. The equites promote were separated definitely from the legions and incorporated into the comitatus of the Tetrarchs, and the vexillationes that had been added into these comitatus during the preceding period were transformed into new, small model legions. There was also a change in the nomenclature of the new legions created during this period:
  • Legio Salutis.
  • Legio Fortenses.
  • Legio Herculiani.
  • Legio Ioviani.
  • Legio Lancearii.
  • Legio Martenses.
  • Legio Mattiarii.
  • Legio Moesiaca.
  • Legio Pannonica.
  • Legio Solenses.
Thus, the overall process could be summoned up as:
  • An ncrease in the overall number of effectives (old model legions seem to have been maintained at their nominal strength of 10 cohorts each even after having vexillationes of 1,000 – 2,000 men permanently detached from them).
  • An ncrease of the numbers of the imperial comitatus, and consolidation of its units as permanent ones (from provisory vexillationes to permanent legions in their own right).
  • An ncrease in the numbers of troops in the borders (many of the new units were immediately detached to the borders) and rationalization of their distribution along them. This goes in hand with Diocletian’s complete reorganization of the administrative system, especially the increase in the number of provinces. The objective seems to have been having two legions in each menaced border province.
  • Diminishment of the number of auxiliary units, and probably also of the use of mercenary foreign contingents, in parallel with Diocletian’s reform of recruitment for the army. For the first time since the times of Marius, Diocletian reintroduced compulsory military service for Roman citizens, and one of the objectives of this measure could have been to increase the “Roman-ness” of the army. This measure would show itself to be a failure as time went by.
  • A massive program of fortress building along the menaced borders. In the east, this translated into the building of the massive system known as Strata Diocletiana, which covered the desert border from the gulf of Aqaba to the Euphrates with a military road and a series of small forts built in the oasis and water wells along the road; this defensive system effectively blocked incursions and encroachment by the nomadic Arabian tribes and allowed an unprecedented flourishment of agriculture and an expansion of inhabited settlements and irrigation works in the Middle East until the late VI century CE. In the northern part of the border, Diocletian also ordered the building of large numbers of defensive works, both new ones and rebuilding of older city walls. This impressive program of fortification and defense in depth changed permanently the nature of warfare in the Middle East between Rome and the Sasanians until the VII century CE.
Most of these reforms were not a thoroughly planned affair enforced with a clear long-term goal in mind, but following the time-honored Roman tradition, they were just haphazard, ad-hoc solutions adopted in the heat of the moment; hence the abrupt change between the two models of legion during the reign, or the sudden increase of the number of legions in Egypt (linked probably to the rebellion of Domitius Domitianus there, which we will see in a later post). One of the results of all this reorganization was the loss of meaning of the very term “legion”. From this time onwards, “legion” could refer to any kind of combined arms unit centered around a core of heavy infantry numbering anywhere between 1,000 and 6,000 men, and which could either be a part of the border defensive system or of one of the imperial comitatus. Also, a process began (although it would not gain momentum and become enshrined for good until Constantine I’s reign) of slow but steady differentiation between the units permanently posted along the border and those permanently attached to the imperial comitatus, although as we’ve seen during the Tetrarchy vexillationes from older larger legions were still being detached from their mother units and attached to the comitatus.

fortaleza-legionaria-de-lux.jpg

The great temple of Amon Ra at Luxor had been abandoned during the III century. When Diocletian and Galerius reorganized the defenses of Egypt, it was turned into a legionary fort surrounded by newly built walls.

Roman-Frescoes-Luxor.png

The soldiers of the Tetrarchy. What you see above are the remains of the Diocletianic era frescoes that covered the chamber of the imperial cult at the legionary fortress of Luxor (which had been previously a chapel dedicated to the Egyptian goddess Mut).

Finally, to gain an idea of how all of this looked like in practice, we can have a look at the only hard data contemporary to Diocletian’s time that had remained. As usual, it comes from Egypt. First, there’s a papyrus from Panopolis which list the military units garrisoned in upper Egypt:
  • Ca. 1,000 men between infantrymen and cavalrymen in two old auxilia units (cohors I Apamenorum equitata and cohors XI Chamavorum).
  • Ca. 1,600 cavalrymen in two newly raised auxiliary units, ala II Herculia dromedariorum and ala I Hiberorum (600 men total), in the equites promote detached from Legio II Traiana (700 men), and a unit of equites sagitarii (cavalry archers, 300 men).
  • At least 6,000 legionaries from vexillationes of Legio III Diocletiana and Legio II Traiana.
  • At least 1,000 legionaries from vexillationes of several eastern legions.
The total adds up to 9,600 men. The old garrison of Egypt during the Principate remained stable around 20,000 men at all times, so in this case what the numbers seem to suggest is that the overall numbers of soldiers in the Egyptian garrison remained stable, but Diocletian distributed them more uniformly across the territory (before, they were overwhelmingly concentrated around Alexandria), with half its number in upper Egypt and the rest in lower Egypt.

The other interesting document from Egypt is a papyrus from Oxyrrhincus which lists the troops that formed part of Galerius’ comitatus in 295 CE when he and Diocletian had to come to Egypt to deal with the rebellion of Domitius Domitianus and incursions by desert tribes.
  • Ca. 10,000 men from the old unitary sacer comitatus, including the elite cavalry units of the comites domini, equites promoti dominorum nostrorum and protectores;
  • Ca 1,000 legionaries each from several Danubian vexillationes: as it’s probable that they were 18 in total, this adds up to a force of 18,000 legionaries. Another possibility has been put forward by Schmitt who defended that the legiones comitatanses of the IV century CE had around 750-850 men each; if we apply this number to the vexillationes included in the comitatus during the Tetrarchy, this would add up to 14,000-15,000 legionaries.
  • Other cavalry forces: the ala II Hispanorum (an ala quingenaria of 480 men), and at least another mounted unit formed by dromedarii: around 1,000 mounted men.
Thus, depending of which number of men we consider for the legionary vexillationes included in Galerius’ comitatus, the total number of forces in it oscillates between 25,000 and 29,000 men. This coincides almost perfectly with the numbers given by Festus and Eutropius; according to them Galerius commanded a field army of 25,000 men during the war against the Sasanian king Narsē.

Babylon-Egypt-03.jpg

One of the largest fortresses built by Diocletian was the great fortress of Babylon in Egypt, built where Trajan's canal joined the Nile, at the limit between lower and upper Egypt. The parts colored in red are the only parts still standing today.

Babylon-Egypt-01.jpg

Reconstruction of the two large round towers that guarded the entry to Trajan's canal at the fortress of Babylon in Egypt.

If we extrapolate these data, this means that the four imperial comitatus would amount together to a little more than 100,000 men, and the rest of Roman forces would have been posted at the borders. Rocco considers that the total number of forces in the border armies could have stood at 300,000 men, which would have been the same number of men the Roman army had at the death of Augustus. So, the borders received the same level of protection as before (the same number of soldiers) but with the added benefit that now the Roman army had a strategical reserve of 100,000 men in four field armies (two in the West, two in the East) which offered an added degree of flexibility and depth to the defense of the empire. An added benefit was that these comitatus and their respective commanding augustus or caesar were not quartered at Rome, far away from the war theaters, but in locations much near to the menaced borders. In the East, Diocletian took residence at Nicomedia and Galerius at Thessalonica.

Last edited:
Diminishment of the number of auxiliary units, and probably also of the use of mercenary foreign contingents, in parallel with Diocletian’s reform of recruitment for the army. For the first time since the times of Marius, Diocletian reintroduced compulsory military service for Roman citizens, and one of the objectives of this measure could have been to increase the “Roman-ness” of the army. This measure would show itself to be a failure as time went by.

An interesting post as always and fantastic work, but this is the part that stood out the most for me. Can you expand on this? I had read a bit of Ammianus Marcellinus (obviously past this timeframe) where he talks about the irony of how the Gallic legions always had willing recruits while Italians would cut off their own thumbs to avoid military service, but I thought this was in reference to the practice of enrolling the sons of existing soldiers into military service and didn't realize it was (meant to be) applied universally. Especially given the changes in relationship between the Roman state and Roman citizens since the times of Marius, it intrigues me to no end to hear why this failed, how it was applied, etc.

An interesting post as always and fantastic work, but this is the part that stood out the most for me. Can you expand on this? I had read a bit of Ammianus Marcellinus (obviously past this timeframe) where he talks about the irony of how the Gallic legions always had willing recruits while Italians would cut off their own thumbs to avoid military service, but I thought this was in reference to the practice of enrolling the sons of existing soldiers into military service and didn't realize it was (meant to be) applied universally. Especially given the changes in relationship between the Roman state and Roman citizens since the times of Marius, it intrigues me to no end to hear why this failed, how it was applied, etc.

It's not an easy subject. No legal texts regarding military recruitment have survived from the times of the Tetrarchy, and so scholars have been forced to use later texts, with the risk of falling into anachronisms. The text that has showed itself most useful to understand the recruitment of soldiers for the Roman army during the Tetrarchy and the IV century is the Codex Theodosianus, a legal code compiled in the Eastern Roman empire during the first half of the V century CE. In 1947 Guido Gigli proposed a conceptual classification of the several recruitment cathegories that appear in the Codex Theodosianus, which was further refined by Yann Le Bohec in 1998. Gigli divided the sources of recruitment into two larger cathegories which he then subdivided into smaller ones:

1. Direct (or inconditional) recruitment:
  • The sons of veteran soldiers (hereditary burden).
  • As a collective burden for non-Roman "barbarian" populations settled within the empire (as the price for allowing them to live in Roman lands); these communities were called in Roman legal texts laeti or gentiles.
  • As a non-hereditary burden all Roman citizens without properties, without a fixed residence and/or an employment (in Roman legal terms, vagi et vacantes) could be recruited at any given time by force (this affected particularly the urban unemployed populations of Rome and Constantinople who lived from the public dole).
2. Indirect (or conditional) recruitment:
  • Para-fiscal recruitment among agricultural populations of Roman citizens. Great landowners had to contribute an amount of recruits from their estates as a form of tax (praebitio tironum) which could include slaves (provided they'd been previously freed) and smaller free landowners had to associate together and provide recruits for the army from among their numbers. In both cases, this was treated as a fiscal burden, a form of "human tax" which could be avoided if the landowners or peasant communities could instead pay a fixed amount of money for each recruit which the state could use to pay a mercenary soldier instead.
  • Forced (more or less) enlistment of war prisoners (dediticii).
  • The signing of a foedus pact with a barbarian tribe living inside or outside the empire by which said tribe became a Roman ally and received Roman subsidies in exchange for providing recruits for the Roman army.
Apart from all these forced recruitment sources, there were still the traditional sources of manpower: voluntary enlistment of Roman citizens or foreign mercenaries from beyond the imperial border.

24.7 THE REIGN OF NARSĒ AND THE ROAD TO WAR.
24.7 THE REIGN OF NARSĒ AND THE ROAD TO WAR.

The internal situation in the Sasanian empire after the retreat of the Roman army does not seem to have calmed down significantly, and probably the lackluster performance of Bahrām II against the Roman invaders did not help at all in this respect. In 287 CE, due to reasons that remain far from clear, delegates of Bahrām II signed a peace treaty with envoys of Diocletian that seems to have been very favorable to Rome. It could be the result of an unrecorded war between Diocletian and Bahrām II, or perhaps the conclusion of the war started by Carus. The issue is extremely confusing because the only written sources dealing with it are the Panegyrici Latini, which are far from ideal sources:

Panegyrici Latini II/10, 7, 5-6 (attributed to Claudius Mamertinus, and read before Maximian in 291 CE at Trier, on occasion of the emperor’s birthday):

In my view, the Euphrates in like manner held the rich and fertile land of Syria in a protective embrace before the Persian Kingdom voluntarily surrendered to Diocletian. But he gained this in the fashion of Jupiter his patron through that paternal nod of command which causes everything to tremble, and through the grandeur of your (i.e. Maximian’s) name. You, however, invincible Emperor, have tamed those wild and uncontrollable peoples (i.e. German tribes) through devastation, battles, massacres, the sword and the fire.

Panegyrici Latini II/9, 1–2 (attributed also to Claudius Mamertinus, and read before Maximian on occasion of the founding day of the city of Rome):

He (i.e. Diocletian) has recently invaded that part of Germany which lies opposite to Rhaetia and with a courage similar to yours he has victoriously advanced the Roman frontier, so much have you in plain and loving fashion attributed to his divinity what measures you had taken for [the defenses of] the territories, when you came together from different parts of the globe and joined together your invincible right hands, so full of trust and brotherly feeling was that conference. In it you provided for yourselves reciprocated examples of all the virtues and in turn you increased your stature, something which did not seem possible, Diocletian by showing to you the gifts of the Persians and you by displaying spoils from the Germans.

Panegyrici Latini II/10, 6:

In this same manner that king of Persia, who had never before deigned to admit that he was a mere man, was a suppliant before your brother (i.e. Diocletian) and laid open his whole kingdom to him, if he thought it right to enter it. In the meantime, he offered him varying wonders, he sent wild animals of remarkable beauty; being content to win the name of friend, he earned it through his submission.

This meager evidence has been used by scholars to propose that in 287 CE Bahram II and Diocletian signed a peace treaty in which the Sasanian king ceded to the Romans Mesopotamia and Armenia. Additional support for this thesis can be found in the texts by Armenian historians:

Agathangelos, History of the Armenians:

But there escaped from the raid one of the sons of Khosrov king of Armenia, an infant called Trdat; his tutors took him and fled to the emperor’s court in Greek territory. Then the Persian king came and imposed his own name on Armenia, and set the Greek army to flight, pursuing it to the borders of Greece. He had ditches dug to fix the frontier and called the place ‘the gate of ditches’ instead of the earlier title ‘the Pit' (…).

Then the emperor greatly honored Trdat and bestowed handsome gifts on him. He crowned his head with a diadem and decorated him with the purple and the imperial insignia. And he entrusted to him a great army for his support, and sent him to his own land of Armenia.

So, after his victorious show of strength, Trdat, king of Greater Armenia, returned from Greek territory. The king hastened to Armenia; upon his arrival he found there a great army of Persians, because they had subdued the country for themselves. Many he slaughtered and many he threw back in flight to Persia. And he brought under his own sway his ancestral kingdom and ruled over its borders (…).

King Trdat spent the whole period of his reign devastating the land of the Persian kingdom and the land of Asorestan. He plundered and caused terrible distress. Therefore, this saying was adopted among the proverbial sayings: ‘Like the haughty Trdat, who in his pride devastated the dykes of rivers and in his arrogance dried up the currents of seas.’ For truly he was haughty in dress and endowed with great strength and vigor; he had solid bones and an enormous body, he was incredibly brave and warlike, tall and broad of stature. He spent his whole life in war and gained triumphs in combat. He acquired a great renown for bravery and extended throughout the whole world the glorious splendor of his victories. He threw his enemies into disarray and revenged his ancestors. He devastated many of the regions of Syria and took a great amount of booty from them. He put to the sword the armies of the Persians and acquired enormous booty. He became commander of the cavalry of the Greek army and handed over to them the camps (of the enemy). He expelled the armies of the Huns by force and subjected the regions of Persia.

Moses Khorenats’i, History of the Armenians:

Carus then reigned with his sons, Carinus and Numerian. Gathering an army, he gave battle to the Persian king, and after gaining the victory he returned to Rome. Therefore Artashir, bringing many nations to his support and having the desert [peoples] of Tachikastan on his side, gave battle a second time to the Roman army on both sides of the Euphrates. In the battle Carus was killed at ¿R…inon? Similarly, Carinus, who had marched into the desert against Kornak in the company of Trdat, was slaughtered with his army; those who survived turned in flight. At this point Trdat’s horse was wounded so he did not gallop away with the fugitives. But he picked up his arms and the horse’s accoutrements and swam across the wide and deep Euphrates to his own army, where Licinius was. In those days Numerian was killed in Thrace, and Diocletian succeeded to the throne. But Agathangelos informs you of Trdat’s various deeds in his time.

Because there is no true history without chronology, therefore we made a detailed investigation and found that Trdat gained the throne in the third year of Diocletian and that he came here with a large army. When he arrived at Caesarea, most of the princes went to meet him. And arriving in this country he found that Awtay had raised his sister Khosrovidukht and had guarded the treasures in his fortress with great constancy. He was a just and persevering man, reliable and very wise; for although he did not know the truth about God, yet he realized the falsity of the idols. Similarly, his protégée Khosrovidukht was a modest maiden, like a nun, and did not at all have an open mouth like other women.

Thus, according to Agathangelos and Moses Khorenats’i, “in the third year of Diocletian” (i.e. 287 CE) Tirdat the Arsacid, exiled from Armenia since the 250s when Šābuhr I annexed Armenia to the Sasanian empire, could return to Armenia. Many western historians have hurried to “marry” this news with the texts of the Panegyrici Latini to arrive to the conclusion that the Romans managed to grab the whole of Armenia and northern Mesopotamia from the Sasanians. But as we will see soon, there’s one contemporary Sasanian source that adds some nuance to this.

Just a peremptory look at the overall situation of the Roman empire in 287 CE makes it very dubious that Diocletian was in any position to start a campaign against such a dangerous enemy as the Sasanian empire. As soon as Diocletian won the battle of the Margus against Carinus, he hurried to Rome where he received news that once more the Roman borders were under assault at multiple places due to the retreat of troops from the borders to fight the civil war between Diocletian and Carinus. The situation was particularly serious in Gaul where Carinus had probably taken with him large numbers of troops from the Rhenish garrisons: a huge revolt by the Bagaudae had taken place and was led by a couple of men named Amandus and Aelianus, who had been acclaimed as augusti by their followers. The Alamanni and Burgundi had broken through the upper Rhine, while in the lower Rhine and the Channel coast of Gaul and Britain the Chaibones, Eruli, Franks and Saxons were once more ravaging the Roman provinces. At the other extreme of the empire, the Sarmatians of the Bosporan kingdom had invaded across the lower Danube and had taken advantage of the naval resources of the Bosporans to launch a seaborne invasion against the Pontic coast of Asia Minor (probably, the situation here was similar to the one in Gaul, as Diocletian would probably have taken troops with him to campaign against Carinus. In this critical situation, the childless Diocletian took the drastic decision of appointing his fellow and trusted Illyrian general Maximian (M. Aurelius Valerius Maximianus) as caesar and his adopted son (filius augusti) and successor in a public ceremony held at Mediolanum probably on 21 July 285 CE.

Maximian-Bust-01.jpg

M. Aurelius Valerius Maximianus.

Maximian departed immediately towards Gaul, where he campaigned brilliantly against the Bagaudae and the Germanic invaders; the campaign was well led by Maximian, but it would take him five years to clear Gaul from invaders. Meanwhile, in the Fall of 286 CE the commander of the Litus Saxonicus M. Aurelius Mausaeus Valerius Carausius revolted against Maximian and Diocletian, and seceded Britain and parts of northern Gaul from the empire, creating a serious problem for Diocletian and Maximian that took several years and massive efforts to solve. To make things worse, the Alamanni invaded Gaul again in 287 CE. Diocletian now had a problem, because Carausius was an augustus while Maximian was merely a caesar, so on 1 April 286 CE Diocletian raised Maximian to the rank of augustus; from now on Diocletian and Maximian would no longer be father and son, but brothers.

Immediately after proclaiming Maximian as caesar, Diocletian returned to the East, advancing slowly along the Danube, reinforcing the defenses elsewhere, recruiting new forces and fighting the Sarmatian Iazyges that had also attacked Pannonia in late 285 CE. In the meanwhile, Diocletian’s able subordinate Constantius (the ex-governor of Dalmatia) fought the invading Sarmatians in Asia Minor; it’s probably in the context of this campaign that the first of the new legiones antiquae, Legio I Pontica, was raised and based at Trapezunt. The war against the Bosporan Sarmatians must’ve been ended by 288 CE at the latest, because this year Diocletian transferred Constantius to Gaul to help Maximian with the serious situation there. The creation of the new Legio I Iovia Scythica, based at Noviodunum in Moesia was probably enacted in the frame of the fight against the Bosporan Sarmatians. Diocletian is attested to have returned to Nicomedia by January 286 CE and stayed there until 3 March 286 CE, probably to supervise the Roman counteroffensive that took Roman forces and their Chersonite allies to the northern coast of the Black Sea to attack the Sarmatian homeland at the shores of the sea of Azov.

The removal of forces from the Levant (either for the war against Carausius or for the campaign against the Sarmatians in Asia Minor) seems to have been behind some sort of revolt or disturbance in Syria and probably also in Palestine; Diocletian visited these provinces in the summer of 286 CE. The revolt seems to have been caused by the nomadic Arabic tribes (Saraceni) that crossed periodically the Roman border during their seasonal migration looking for pastures for their herds. But whatever their aim was, the only result was to have the revolt crushed by Diocletian, who then deported them in large numbers to depopulated lands in Thrace. Ilkka Syvänne speculates that perhaps the Lakhmid king of Hira 'Amr ibn Adi could have been behind the revolt. During Aurelian’s time he’s been an ally of Rome, but some time afterwards he changed sides again and became a Sasanian vassal (he’s acknowledged as such in the Paikuli inscription of Narsē). If this was the case, that would help to explain why in 287 CE some sort of peace treaty or arrangement was signed between both empires, as Diocletian would have perceived 'Amr’s actions as a Sasanian aggression.

After 287 CE, Diocletian began the construction of the Strata Diocletiana, which would put a stop to Arabic raids in the Levant. It included the refortification of important cities and towns like Damascus and Palmyra, and especially the building of large walls at Circesium on the Euphrates, where the road ended. In the winter of 287-288 CE Diocletian met Maximian at Moguntiacum to discuss the next summer campaign, in which the two augusti collaborated against the Alamanni and finally expelled them from Gaul.

Qasr-Bshir.jpg

Qasr Bshir, one of the forts built by Diocletian along the limes arabicus.

As you can see, Diocletian did not have much time left to campaign against the Sasanians, so it’s unclear what happened. A hypothetical explanation could be that, in retaliation for the Lakhmid raids against Syria and Palestine the Romans provided the exiled Armenian prince Tirdat with an army with which he achieved some sort of success against the Sasanians. The big problem though is that there’s a contemporary Iranian document that makes clear that Tirdat did not manage to recover Armenia. This document is the Paikuli inscription, dated to the very start of Narsē’s reign, in which he still calls himself Great King of Armenia, but lists Tirdat as one of his vassal kings. So, probably what happened was that Tirdat, with Roman help, managed to grab a part of Armenia (most probably in the west) and the Sasanians and Diocletian reached an agreement by which Tirdat would keep this territory, but as Narsē’s vassal. In other words, it’s unclear if this treaty was arranged between Diocletian and Narsē or between Diocletian and Bahrām II; if the latter was the case this would have only helped to infuriate Narsē even more against his nephew.

Paikuli-Tower.jpg

Remains of the Paikuli tower.

Paikuli-Tower-01.jpg

Hypothetical reconstruction of the Paikuli tower.

Bahrām II died in 293 CE, and he was succeeded by his son Bahrām Sakān šāh, known to historians as Bahrām III. However, his reign would be a short one; he reigned only for four months until he was dethroned by his great-uncle Narsē, Great King of Armenia. The events that surrounded Narsē’s coup are recorded in detail in the bilingual inscription of Paikuli (written in Middle Persian and Parthian, in what is now Iraqi Kurdistan). The inscription was affixed originally to a tower (now in ruins) built by Narsē at the precise location where he and his followers left the kingdom of Armenia and met with the Iranian grandees that supported him as king instead of Bahrām III. Obviously, the text is unashamedly propagandistic but provides invaluable information about the internal situation in the Sasanian empire at the time. In it, Narsē depicts his bid for the throne in characteristically Iranian terms, that are still reminiscent of the ones used 800 years before by Darius I in his Bisotun inscription: a perfidious nobleman called Wahnām, son of Tatrus, under the evil auspices of Ahrimān, had placed the crown unlawfully upon the head of Bahrām Sakān šāh, and Narsē was called upon to restore order and justice in Ērānšāhr:

I am the Mazdaean Majesty Narsē King of Kings of Erān and Anerān, whose origin is from the gods, son of the Mazdaean Majesty Šābuhr King of Kings of Erān and Anerān, whose origin is from the gods, grandson of the Majesty Ardaxšir King of Kings (…).

I am/was the King of Armenia. And we dwelt in Armenia until Bahrām, King of Kings, son of Bahrām passed away.

And Wahnām, son of Tatrus, through his own falsehood and with the help of Ahrimān and the devils, attached the Diadem to the head of Bahrām Sakān šāh. And he did not inform me of that matter. Nor did he inform the princes.

And later the princes and grandees and nobles and Persians and Parthians were informed that:

“I, Wahnām, son of Tatrus have attached the Diadem to the head of Bahrām Sakān šāh. And I wish to establish myself in an exalted position. And of this I am capable, to kill the princes and grandees and nobles and to give their possessions/estates to the Garamaeans. And from/of my own family and the Garamaeans I shall make […my own?] property. And when I have firmly established it as my own property, then I shall destroy the enemies of the King of Sakas (…)”.

And the Persians and Parthians and others who were at the border watch-post at Asōrestān, they made a council and said that (Note: the passages that follow are heavily damaged and are very fragmentary, so I will skip them).

Thereafter Šābuhr the Hargbed, and Narsē the Prince, son of Sāsān, and Pābag the Bidaxš, and Ardaxšir the Hazārbed, and Raxš the General, and Ardaxšir Surēn, and Ohrmazd Warāz, and Warhāndād Lord of Andēgān, and the remaining princes and grandees and householders and nobles and Persians and Parthians who were the greatest and the best and the noblest subjects in my possessions – as was fitting – took the advice of the gods and myself and sent messengers to me.

And when I had graciously admitted them, then the messengers from the princes and the hargbed and the Grandees and the Nobles came to me saying that:

“May the King of Kings graciously move from Armenia hither to Ērānšahr. And as for the glory and the realm and his own thrown and honor, which his ancestors received from the gods, may he take them back from the evildoers who are against gods and men. And may he keep Ērānšahr safe until the last!”

And when I saw that letter, then in the name of Ohrmazd and all the gods and Anāhīd, the Lady, we moved from Armenia towards Ērānšahr (NOTE: now follows another very damaged, long passage that I will skip which describes the military campaign and preparations of Narsē’s supporters to secure Asōrestān for the arrival of Narsē).

And when I arrived [in] Asōrestān at this place where this monument has been made, Šabuhr the Hargbed, and Pērōz the Prince, and Narsē the Prince, son of Sāsān, and Pābag the Bidaxš, and Ardaxšir the Hazārbed, and Ardaxšir Surēn, and Ohrmazd Warāz, and Warhāndād Lord of Andegān, and Kirdēr the Mowbed of Ohrmazd, and […]z-narsē Kāren, and […] the first (?) [of the…?], and Raxš the General, and Ardaxšir Tahmšabūhr, […, and …] Secretary of Finance, and Žōygird the Cup-bearer, and likewise the princes and grandees and nobles and householders and satraps and accountants and storekeepers (...?) and the remaining Persians and Parthians who were in Asōrestān and Xūzestān and Garamaea and Syārzūr, all together they came to Xāyān ī Nīkatrā to meet me. And here they came into my presence where this monument has been made.

Narseh-coin-0o1.jpg

Narsē, king of kings of Iran and Non-Iran.

The Paikuli inscription is a very long one, and its state of preservation is very poor, which has turned its interpretation by scholars into a daunting task. The fragments quoted above are just the introduction, and they offer juicy information about the events. Basically, Narsē revolted against Bahrām III with the help of a very wide array of plotters that included key members of the government, administration and upper nobility. As you can see, in the list of Narsē’s supporters appear the hargbed (one of the chief commanders of the army), the bidāxš (the royal lieutenant), the hazārbed (another high-ranking army commander), members of the great noble houses of Surēn, Kārin, Andēgān and Warāz, and no other than the great priest Kirdēr himself, who had been the staunchest supporter of Bahram II (this is something that still puzzles historians). The obvious question is; what did Bahrām III do to create such a widespread opposition against his rule? If we are to believe the Paikuli inscription, it was all a plot hatched by the evil Wahnām, but that’s obviously not true. In the text, Narsē is always careful to call Bahrām just “the king of the Sakas”, never acknowledging him the title of šāhān šāh, which hints at the real cause for the revolt: Narsē’s bitterness over having been passed over for three times for the royal succession.

Stone-block-with-Paikuli-inscription.jpg

The inscription of Paikuli has arrived to us broken in tens of fragments and with many missing parts, which has turned its interpretation into a very arduous task for scholars. This is one of the blocks that were part of the inscription.

ricostruzione-iscrizione-bilingue-di-narseh.jpg

Reconstruction of the Paikuli inscription according to Hulmbach and Skjaervo (1980).

The inscription then goes on to describe the civil war between Narsē and Bahrām III, although there again great lacunae in the preserved text:

And Bahrām Sakān šāh and Wahnām, son of Tartus, and the bad ones and those who were Wahnām’s partisans and helpers – when they heard that I had set out from Armenia towards Ērānšahr and had mobilized an army of Ērānšahr – then they (…).

Wahnām by his sorcery (…) Ādurfarrōbay Mēšān šāh (…) called to his assistance. And he sent a message to the King of Mēšān saying that (…). And Ādurfarrōbay Mēšān šāh, how the bad lie had been given out, that he said, since (?) Wahnām was rebellious (…). And he crossed the Mēšānian (?) Tigris to this side, and with horses and men he went forth to the support of Bahrām Sakān šāh, and Wahnām.

In other words, in the civil war that ensued Ādurfarrōbay king of Mēšān (a coastal kingdom on the Mesopotamian coast of the Persian Gulf, known to Greeks and Romans as Mesene) who was probably also a member of the Sasanian royal family sided with Bahrām III and Wahnām. The rest of this part of the inscription is barely legible, but in general terms it states that finally Narsē won the fight and Bahrām III surrendered and abdicated of his own will. As for Wahnām, he was publicly humiliated and executed by Narsē.

The text then moves one to describe the deliberations between the wuzurgān to elect Narsē as šāhān šāh and his acceptance of the title. According to the inscription, Narsē called for an assembly of the princes and the nobility which elected him unanimously as the one best fitted to be king, and Narsē thus accepted the post with the assent of the grandees. The conclusion of the inscription is better preserved than its middle parts and again contains valuable tidbits:

And Caesar and the Romans were in gratitude and peace and friendship with me. And the King of Kušān, and (…) Aspnay(…?), and the King of Xwārizm, and Zāmadīgp(…?) the (…)bed of Kwšd’n … and Pgrymbk (…), and Sēd(…?) the Šyk’n of Harēw, and Pāk Mehmān, and Birwān Spandwardān, and the King of Pāradān, and King Rāzgurd, and King Pndplnk, and the King of Makurān, and the King of Tūrān, and the King (…) and the King of Gurgān and Balāsagān, and the King of Mskyt’n, and the King of Iberia, and the King of Sigān, and King Tirdād, and Amru King of the Lakhmids, and Amru [King of] the Abgars (?), (…) and Nāhubed of Dahestān, and Razmāgōy Šambīdagān, and (…) Satārap of Dumbāwand, and (…)āgōy Lord of Sāxwal(…?), and Porāsman Lord of Mūgān, and Bād Lord of Zōrād(…?), and Mihrxwāst Lord of Borsip(…?), and Zanāygān [Lord?] of (…), and Kwl’(…), …, and Bahrām Lord of Mošk, and Narsē lord of Antioch, and the Lord of Lāšom, and Wld.y Lord of Čš, and the Lord of (…), and Xradžoy Lord of Lāk(…?), and Mālux King of Aštbwn’n, and the remaining landholders (…) stayed by my advice and counsel.

I have underlined in the previous text the names of king Tirdat of Armenia and of 'Amr ibn Adi, who until 295 CE was king of the Lakhmids of Hira. In this list, Narsē states that the Romans were “in peace and friendship” with him, and then enumerates all the vassal kings and lords of the Sasanian empire who acknowledged him as šāhān šāh, beginning with the most important of them all, the Kušān šāh. It’s also clear, from the text of this inscription, that in 293 CE Narse was still Great King of Armenia, and that Tirdat was some sort of vassal king, probably subjected to him even before he became šāhān šāh. What’s more intriguing is that the text does not name anywhere neither upper Mesopotamia nor Nisibis. As a matter of fact, in his trip from Armenia to Asōrestān, Narsē took a very easterly route that led him directly from the Armenian highlands to the eastern bank of the Tigris, avoiding completely the northern Mesopotamian plan. Could this be a hint that by this time the Romans were in control again of upper Mesopotamia? The 2016 article about Narsē in the Encyclopaedia Iranica by Ursula Weber is categorical in this respect, and states emphatically that by this time northern Mesopotamia and Armenia were still under Sasanian rule.

narseh-invest-01.jpg

Investiture rock relief of Narsē at Naqsh-e Rostam. Narsē is receiving the diadem of kingship from the goddess Anāhīd.

Bust-of-the-Sassanian-king-Narseh.jpg

3D model of one of the monumental busts of Narsē at the Paikuli tower.

The creation of the new legions I and II Armeniacae (posted in eastern Anatolia) and V and VI Parthicae (posted in Mesopotamia) are dated to the 293-299 CE period, which seems to suggest that these territories did not come under Roman control until after Narsē’s accession to power. He’d become king at an advanced age (he was by then between 60 and 65 years old) and was probably bitter about having been bypassed thrice in the succession, and he did not hesitate to take reprisals; archaeologists have discovered that many of Narsē’s statues, inscriptions and reliefs were carved over ones originally made by Bahrām I and Bahrām II, and that Narsē purposefully ordered their names to be erased systematically, in a sort of Iranian damnatio memoriae.

Also, in his coins and inscriptions Narsē seems to have made a clear break from the immediate past, hinting to a return to the customs and attitudes of the reign of his father Šābuhr I. He began calling himself again in coins and inscriptions “he whose seed is from gods” (like Šābuhr I had done, a practice dropped by Bahrām I and Bahrām II) and instead of Ohrmazd, Mihr and Anāhīd (the “patron godess” of the House of Sāsān) won a prominent place in royal texts. Some historians believe that this virtual return to the “good old times” of the great Šābuhr I was bad news for the Romans, because one of the cornerstones of Šābuhr I’s policy had been his implacable hostility towards Rome, and that Narsē intended to follow in his father’s footsteps, in a further attempt to distance himself from the “feeble” exterior policies of his despised brother and nephew. It could also be because of this that Narsē made a new 180º turn in Sasanian policies towards the Manichaeans. As I explained in a previous post, Manichaeism was a strongly proselytizing religion that expanded quickly beyond the borders of the Sasanian empire in all directions, including into the Roman empire. And Diocletian reacted violently to this renewed expansion of Manicheism. In an edict issued on 31 March 302 CE in Alexandria, he decreed against the Manichaeans:

We order that their organizers and leaders be subject to the final penalties and condemned to the fire with their abominable scriptures.

This decree was far more severe than the ones he published against the Christians a year late. In it, he also ordered declared that low-status Manicheans must be executed by the blade, and high-status Manicheans must be sent to work in the quarries of Proconnesus (Marmara Island, Turkey) or the mines of Phaeno in southern Palestine. All Manichean property was to be seized and deposited in the imperial treasury. Amongst the reasons quoted in this Diocletianic edict, there was an interesting one: that Manicheism was a foreign religion and that its high-ranking members were Persian spies. As for the more traditional reasons for his decision (which he explained in a letter sent to the proconsul of Africa in late March 302 CE), he wrote:

(The Manichaeans) have set up new and hitherto unheard-of sects in opposition to the older creeds so that they might cast out the doctrines vouchsafed to us in the past by divine favor, for the benefit of their own depraved doctrine (…)

… our fear is that with the passage of time, they will endeavor...to infect...our whole empire...as with the poison of a malignant serpent.

Ancient religion ought not to be criticized by a new-fangled one (…).

This slide of Narsē towards an aggressive exterior anti-Roman policy must have taken place gradually, because as he himself states in the Paikuli inscription he was “in peace and friendship with Caesar and the Romans” at the moment of his accession. Ursula Weber and other scholars disagree with the notion that it was just an increase in Sasanian aggression and expansionism that caused the war between the two empires, but rather the strengthening of the Roman empire under Diocletian, and especially the establishment of the Strata Diocletiana and the building of new fortresses along the Euphrates. The injured party with Diocletian’s new policies at the limes arabicus were the Arab tribes of the Syrian and Arabic deserts, who were mostly under control of the Lakhmid kings of Hira, who in turn were Sasanian vassals. Also, whatever it was that happened in Armenia with Tirdat, it probably implied some sort of Roman meddling, which couldn’t have been well received by Narsē, who was Great King of Armenia at the time.

The Saracen incursions had continued in the Roman East, and in 290 CE Diocletian had needed to organize yet another campaign against them. There were also Berber incursions in Mauretania and Numidia, nomadic raids in Upper Egypt, continued unrest among the Sarmatians in the middle Danube and the still unresolved issue of Carausius’ Imperium Britanniarum (Maximian had suffered a costly failure in 289 CE when trying to launch a seaborne invasion of Britain). Given the multiplication of threats, Diocletian took the decision to expand the imperial collegium. On 1 March 293 CE at Milan, Maximian bestowed the purple cloak and title of nobilissimus caesar on M. Flavius Constantius, his Praetorian Prefect, formerly governor of Dalmatia under Carus, and a key supporter of Diocletian in 284-5 CE. Simultaneously at Sirmium, Diocletian gave the identical title to Gaius Galerius, an experienced military commander and colleague, said to have risen under Aurelian and Probus. Both men divorced their wives to marry into the imperial families: Constantius married Maximian's daughter Theodora, and Galerius, Diocletian's daughter Valeria; and both adopted the family name Valerius. Both Constantius and Galerius were Illyrian, like Diocletian and Maximian, and all of them were men with a military background with relatively obscure social origins.

Constantius-Bust.jpg

M. Flavius Valerius Constantius. He was nicknamed "chlorus" because of his pale complexion.

Immediately, the new imperial collegium began its task. Constantius was tasked with the difficult task of ending the British rebellion, and in 296 CE he finally succeeded. In 297-298 CE Maximian led a difficult and costly campaign in which he thoroughly defeated the north African tribes that had been encroaching upon the Roman provinces in the area. In the eastern part of the empire, in 293-294 CE Diocletian and Galerius launched a massive offensive in the middle Danube aimed at stabilizing the situation there for the foreseeable future, crossing the river into barbaricum with large forces. The campaign was combined with a total reorganization of the defenses of the middle Danube into a new defensive system known as the Ripa Sarmatica, which included the building of forts and watchtowers on the left shore of the river, the deportation and settlement of large numbers of Sarmatians into the empire as laeti (and their forceful recruitment into the Roman army; as they were excellent horsemen this was a much welcomed addition) and the transformation of the Sarmatian territories into a Roman vassal kingdom. It was probably at this time that the extensive system of earthworks in northeastern Hungary now known as the Devil's Dyke was built. Even if this was not viable as a fortification, it comprised a distinct boundary line against wandering peoples which they might be persuaded to respect if it was backed by a Roman guarantee to the Sarmatians.

Galerius-Bust.jpg

Gaius Valerius Galerius Maximianus; during his tenure as caesar he was usually referred to as Maximiamus Caesar or Galerius Maximianus in coins and contemporary documents.

During 294-295 CE Diocletian continued the inspection and reorganization of the defenses, travelling from Sirmium to Ratiaria, then east to Durostorum, before returning to Nicomedia. The lower Danube defenses seem to have held for as long as seven or eight years under increasing pressure since the start of Diocletian’s reign, but eventually unknown reasons in barbaricum propelled virtually the whole peoples of the Carpi and Bastarnae to cross the Danube in strength, temporarily causing great damage and sacking the city of Tropaeum Traiani (modern Adamclisi in southeastern Romania). It took Galerius a series of repeated campaigns over several years to break their power. Eventually the surviving Carpi were settled in depopulated lands to the west of their original homeland in the newly created Pannonian province of Valeria (named after Diocletian's daughter), while the Bastarnae were settled in Thrace, in both cases as laeti, forced by treaty to furnish recruits to the Roman army.

It was at this moment that bad news arrived from the East: in the autumn of 294 CE or spring of 295 CE (I'm following Illka Syvänne's chronology here because I think it makes more sense than the ones by Barnes and Williams or Ress) and Narsē attacked Tirdat, who was a client king of Rome, and expelled him from Armenia. Diocletian and Galerius found themselves at open war against the Sasanian empire, as they had to defend their client Tirdat.

Last edited:
Have I mentioned how much this thread makes me want to go play Total War: Attila? :p Because it does.

Have I mentioned how much this thread makes me want to go play Total War: Attila? :p Because it does.

Please, don't suppress your urges on my behalf, go ahead :p

Tetrarchy is go! Interesting really that it took hundreds of years for legions to STOP being an easy shorthand for a specific number of soldiers.

Excellent work, as always.

I know you have touched on the demographics of the Roman empire a bit, but I have some questions:

• How were the barbarian tribes able to keep up the manpower for all these invasions, year after year, decade after decade? Even Rome, an urbanised polity, got depleted by these wars, yet the germanic, sarmatian, and arab tribes seem to bounce back easily
  • Likewise, what numbers are these invasions? A few pages back, there was a massive germanic incursion into Greece, that required a lot of roman power to defeat. How did these tribes get so many people under arms and supply them with food?
  • When you talk about these deportations of tribes, how many people get moved? Are we talking 10k+ people uprooted totally from one end of the empire to another? How did the Romans force this upon the tribes, as both seem to be very depleted

Thanks!

I know you have touched on the demographics of the Roman empire a bit, but I have some questions:

• How were the barbarian tribes able to keep up the manpower for all these invasions, year after year, decade after decade? Even Rome, an urbanised polity, got depleted by these wars, yet the germanic, sarmatian, and arab tribes seem to bounce back easily
  • Likewise, what numbers are these invasions? A few pages back, there was a massive germanic incursion into Greece, that required a lot of roman power to defeat. How did these tribes get so many people under arms and supply them with food?
  • When you talk about these deportations of tribes, how many people get moved? Are we talking 10k+ people uprooted totally from one end of the empire to another? How did the Romans force this upon the tribes, as both seem to be very depleted
Thanks!

Those questions you ask are exactly the ones most difficult to answer. Scholars are still today in disagreement (by a wide margin) about the demography of a sedentary, relatively well documented polity like the Roman empire, and so enquiries about the demography of their neighbors who were in some cases only semi sedentary peoples and who have not left any kind of written documents are practically hopeless. The most that I can offer (not being a scholar myself) are some generalizations and educated guesses.

Your first point is the easiest one to address. It’s not that the “barbarian” peoples who bordered the Roman empire were some sort of demographic juggernaut, but that they and the Roman empire were radically different societies, this was joined in the III century by a concentration of circumstances that together hit very badly the Roman empire while leaving its “barbarian” neighbors relatively unscathed.

From the start of the Roman expansion, the great advantage of the Romans against their northern neighbors had been their political organization; the Romans were able to present a united front with an ever-expanding empire behind them while their enemies were systematically numerically weaker and disunited. The Roman saying divide et impera sums this up very well. Against Rome, the isolated Gaulish, Celtiberian, Iberian, British or Germanic tribes had little hope of winning a protracted war, just by the sheer force of numbers. When the Roman expansion in Europe stopped under Augustus (with some exceptions, like the conquests of Britain and Dacia), what bordered the Roman limes from the mouths of the Rhine to the mouths of the Danube was a wild array of tribes which were more often than not quarreling among themselves as much as against Rome. And the Romans exploited this situation to the fullest, because Roman diplomacy constantly played one tribe against another by means of subsidies, bribes and limited military interventions. In continental Europe there were only two polities that could pose a danger to Rome: the Marcomannic kingdom of Maroboduus and the Dacian kingdom. The Marcomannic kingdom collapsed shortly after Augustus’ death, but the Marcomanni remained a powerful people, and the Dacian kingdom was eventually annihilated by Trajan.

Germanic societies were societies centered around war. All free men were warriors, and for a youth of free standing to be acknowledged as an adult, he had to take part in a war or in an act of bravery during a hunt; the most extreme examples in this respect were the eastern Germanic peoples of the Taifali according to Ammianus Marcellinus:

It is said that this nation of the Taifali was so profligate, and so immersed in the foulest obscenities of life, that they indulged in all kinds of unnatural lusts, exhausting the vigor both of youth and manhood in the most polluted defilements of debauchery. But if any adult caught a boar or slew a bear single-handed, he was then exempted from all compulsion of submitting to such ignominious pollution.

Procopius wrote something along the same lines about another eastern Germanic people, the Heruli. In many cases, war was the only way in which a young man could gather the dowry necessary to achieve a socially prestigious marriage, which added even more reasons for violence in an already violent society. As can be expected, such societies revolved around war and around constant raiding and plundering against the neighboring groups. But what’s important to remember is that this conduct was expected from all free men, which included most adult males in each tribe. Ancient Germanic societies endorsed serfdom and slavery, but as the ancient writers wrote and archaeology has confirmed these societies had very low levels of social stratification, so large accumulations of wealth and slaves were rare.

By contrast, the Roman empire was a civilian society, and politically it could be described as a tributary empire. Gaius Marius began a process that culminated with Augustus, by which Roman society was mostly demilitarized. The Roman army was a professional one, a decision that had been taken by Marius and other late Republican politicians because iy was impossible to defend the empire with the old citizen army. If the Romans wanted to keep permanent garrisons overseas, the army had to be a professional one. In parallel to this professionalization, the Romans increased the military value of each legionary by means of extensive training, a rigid discipline and the promotion of a vigorous esprit the corps within each legion. The results were impressive from a purely military standpoint, but it had other unforeseen consequences, in that this professional army soon became an instrument of internal instability. Augustus stopped the deadly succession of civil wars of the late Republic by means of an astute combination of pragmatism, propaganda and carefully hidden reforms. And one of the measures he took was the drastic reduction of the army numbers. After Actium, there were 40 or more active legions; by Augustus’ death this number had dropped to 25. This allowed Augustus to keep the active soldiers well paid (in other words, he created a sustainable army that was no longer forced to accept the bribes of power-hungry generals to survive) and stabilize the empire. If the Roman empire of the Principate lasted as long as it did and achieved as much as it did in all the fields of human life, it was precisely because the demilitarization of the society and keeping the army at a minimum allowed internal peace in the empire and sustainable public finances without destabilizing the established social order.

At its height before the Antonine Plague, the Roman empire had perhaps 75 million inhabitants, but an army of only 380,000 men (excluding the navy, the Praetorian Guard and other imperial guard units posted in Rome) at the time of Hadrian’s death (which would increase to 440,000 men under the Severans). With these forces, the Roman empire had to cover a border that stretched from the mouths of the Rhine to the mouths of the Danube, and from the Black to the Red seas, while significant forces were stationed in other provinces (Egypt, North Africa, Spain and Britain). During Hadrian’s reign, the distribution of effectives was as follows:
  • Britannia: 52,000 men (yes, the island had a huge garrison).
  • Rhenish border (upper and lower Germanies): 49,000 men.
  • Danubian border (Raetia, Noricum, the two Pannonias, Dacia and the two Moesias): 127,000 men.
  • Eastern border (Cappadocia, Syria and Palestine): 87,000 men.
  • Egypt: 20,000 men.
  • Africa, Numidia and the two Mauretanias: 28,000 men.
  • Hispania and other internal provinces: 15,000 men.
If you consider the length of the borders to defend, these numbers are not very impressive (except for Britain). The Rhine stretched for 1,233 km from the Alps to the Netherlands, and that means that the border was covered by roughly 39 men per km. The length of the Danube river is 2,850 km so the Romans had roughly 44 men per km in the area. And in the East, there are 2,215 km between Trabzon and Suez, and the Romans had there 39 men per km of border.

The totals were impressive, but the army was very thinly stretched. I’ve already posted the numbers that the Arsacids and Sasanians were able to mobilize. And in my opinion, it would be perfectly possible that all the tribes along (and the ones immediately behind them) could match the 176,000 men that the Roman army had posted along its European borders. Remember, among these tribes each free man was an experienced warrior, while the Romans had to rely exclusively on their small professional army. Probably, on a man-to-man basis Rome’s professional soldiers were superior to their foes, but in a time when technological disparity was almost non-existent, numerical superiority was extremely important. Even worse, if the Romans wanted to recruit new soldiers, they had to enlist volunteers (who in times of high military losses and scarcity of labor within the empire would become increasingly rare) and spend a considerable amount of time and resources on every recruit in order to turn him into a full fledged professional able to perform to the high standards of the Roman army.

The true Roman advantage was that they kept the strategic initiative for three centuries; they were able to concentrate their armies leaving other borders ungarrisoned with impunity for a long time and concentrate overwhelming force against a single enemy at a time. But if they had to fight in two fronts, things began to go downhill quickly. An example of this latest situation was the Pannonian and Illyrian revolt under Augustus, that prevented the emperor from sending reinforcements to Germany after the Teutoburg disaster. The opposite example is the Dacian campaign of Trajan, when the Romans were able to amass a juggernaut of more than 100,000 men against the Dacians (the Parthian campaigns of Lucius Verus and Septimius Severus are also good examples).

This advantage was lost at the start of the III century CE, and this development was an unmitigated disaster for Rome. A first warning had come with the Marcomannic war of Marcus Aurelius, when a mass of peoples (Marcomanni, Quadi, Sarmatians and other allied peoples) crossed en masse the middle Danube in Pannonia, destroyed a Roman legion in open battle, and proceeded to ravage the Pannonias and Noricum and even managed to cross the Alps and reach Aquileia (where they managed to defeat another Roman army led by the Praetorian prefect who died during the encounter). It took Marcus Aurelius more than 10 years to stem the tide through Herculian efforts.

But in 213 CE the Alamanni appear in Roman chronicles for the first time. Where before them existed a series of Suebian tribes, (ironically, probably their emergence was the result of the destruction of the Marcomanni by Marcus Aurelius, as the Marcomanni had been a Suebian people) suddenly there was a large tribal confederation able to mobilize thousands of warriors and overwhelm the Roman defenses immediately in front of them (the garrisons of Upper Germania and Raetia). The appearance of the Alamanni was followed by the rise of Ardaxšir I to the throne of Iran in 225 CE, and the first appearance of the Goths in 238 CE. The Iuthungi (another Suebian confederation, perhaps a branch of the Alamanni) appear in 259/260 CE, the Franks were probably first attested in 260 CE, the Vandals in 271 CE (although they were already quoted during the Marcomannic wars as allies of Rome), the Burgundians in 278 CE and the Saxons in 356 CE. Now, instead of a fragmented puzzle of smaller tribes that the border Roman governors could manipulate at will with some coins and trinkets, the Romans had to deal with massive confederations that launched large-scale attacks against the Roman provinces. And if that wasn’t enough, all of it happened at the same time everywhere, which led to a political collapse of the old Augustan order and to a new wave of civil wars between Roman warlords that diminished still more the ability of the empire to defend itself. It was a vicious circle from which it seemed impossible to escape, until the Illyrian emperors managed to stabilize somehow the military situation and finally Diocletian tried to reform the political and military structures of the empire that had showed themselves inadequate for the new era.

From the III century CE onwards, the Romans were on the defensive because they were simply outnumbered, and they were almost never at war only on one front, so they could rarely afford the luxury of concentrating overwhelming forces against a single adversary. These confederations did not cover just the stretch of land immediately in front of the Roman border, but they could cover large territories deep into the barbaricum. Perhaps the most clear example of this is the Gothic empire which included an enormous land area, including most of Ukraine, parts of Russia, Belarus, Poland and Romania, with the Goths acting (as the Rus several centuries after them) as the ruling people who ruled over and went on campaign with a vast array of allied and subject peoples, not all of whom were Germanic speakers. As for the Vandals, the Saxons or the Burgundians, their lands were not even adjacent to the Roman empire, but still they managed to mount looting expeditions against it, crossing the lands of the border peoples (who had to let them pass, willingly or not).

It’s an accepted fact today that the III century CE saw also the first critical point of the cooling period that followed the Roman Climate Optimum (RCO) and which had begun in the second half of the II century CE. If the Roman empire, a relative warm land area around a balmy interior sea was badly hit by this climate change, one can only suppose that the effects in northern and eastern Europe must have been much worse, although here archaeological digs in Germany, Poland, Ukraine and Scandinavia don’t seem to support some sort of cataclysmic mass migration (other than perhaps the hypothetical migration of the proto-Goths from southern Sweden to the lower Vistula and from there into Ukraine). But ancient texts do hint at it. Specifically, Jordanes wrote that the Vandals who dwelled in Silesia and the middle Vistula were defeated by the Goths and forced to move to the west and south-west, and that they in turn defeated the Burgundians who were forced to migrate west. Jordanes’ tale coincides more or less with the sequence and areas in which the Vandals and Burgundians appeared at the Roman border; the Vandals in Pannonia during Aurelian’s reign, and the Burgundians at the Rhine under Probus.

This is important to consider, because this means that the Roman border was not only under pressure of the “barbarian” peoples immediately adjacent to it, but also from groups located far deep into the barbaricum. An added factor was the very nature of these Germanic confederations. They were not based on language, ethnicity or religion, but merely on following a warlord (or warlords) who was/were successful in war and could reward his followers with booty. They were extremely fluid and open entities (some of them like the Iuthungi disappeared after the III century CE without a trace) and everybody could join as long as they were willing to follow the rules of the group and take part in their wars. This could be probably one of the key factors behind the very quick “recovery times” between invasions, and their always plentiful numbers.

I’m not very fond of offering numbers for the demography or military forces of these ancient peoples, because as I said before, things are hazy enough for the much better documented Romans. But as you asked for it, I will offer here the numbers given by Ilkka Syvänne in his book Military History of Late Rome 284-361 (beware that I’m not convinced at all by many of professor Syvänne’s conclusions):
  • Picts: between 30,000 and 40,000 warriors.
  • Franks: 75,000 – 100,000 warriors (based on VI century data, in my opinion an exaggeration for the III and IV centuries CE).
  • Alamanni: 35,000 warriors (based on the forces deployed at Argentorate against Julian).
  • Vandals (both Silingi and Hasdingi): 50,000 warriors.
  • Gothic confederation:
    • Greuthungi Goths: 100,000 cavalrymen and 50,000 infantrymen.
    • Tervingi Goths: 80,000 – 100,000 warriors, most of whom would have been cavalrymen.
    • Taifali: 30,000 horsemen.
    • Heruli: 40,000 horsemen.
    • Sarmatians and Alans: 40,000 horsemen.
I must repeat here my skepticism about some of these numbers, but I guess that’s better than nothing. At least, Syvänne states that although these would have been the great totals of men available for each confederation, it would have been impossible, for logistical reasons, to put together such enormous armies in the field. And this was another key Roman advantage, as their superior logistics enabled them to concentrate better their forces than their Germanic foes. A typical attack against the Roman border would have entailed an initial onslaught by some thousands of men against the border watchtowers and forts (at the very most, 20,000 men for one such large scale attack according to Syvänne, and most probably the numbers would have oscillated between 4,000 and 5,000 warriors). Once the border defenses were breached though, what ancient texts repeat once and again is that (with some exceptions, like the Goths under Kniva) the “barbarian” forces quickly dispersed into smaller groups (some hundreds of men each) to pillage and plunder far and wide. Obviously, they lived from the land they ravaged.

I don’t know if my overly long rant has answered any of your questions, but I’ve tried :D.

Last edited:

Thanks!
I'm not Semper Victor but what I heard is that Rome wasn't actually a society with high demographic growth. Quite the contrary actually, the social and economic conditions were such that population growth was lower than in the barbarian regions around it.

Reasons being
- maxed out agriculture, no more fallow lands that could readily be turned into fields (this goes hand in hand with technological stagnation)

- high urbanization, with cities being economically better off that the province but still functioning as population sinks (negative growth, i.e. more deaths than births) due to them being cesspits of disease, and having many unwed women working rather than having families (economic opportunities make for changed gender roles)

- endemic civil wars and generally unstable political conditions, leading to abandonment of cities as explained in past chapters by Semper, and ravaging of the countryside

- harsh and exploitative fiscal policies that basically ran parts of society into the ground

Basically Rome had passed its "peak" and had reached the apex of economic and social development that was possible with the technology and mindsets of the time. And just like the apex species in biological systems is often the most vulnerable to changes in environmental conditions, he who sits on top of a big pile will fall first when the pile becomes unstable.

The barbarian lands around Rome profited from a steady spread of technology, material wealth, and improved agricultural practices, while also having big waves of migration coming in from eastern Europe.

Rome had had a good run but failed to make the sort of transitions in mindsets and the leaps in technology that it would have required to endure (as an empire encompassing the whole mediterranean world). For example, the imperial system of governance remained ramshackle and unstable throughout the imperial era, with the role of the Emperor never really clearly defined or brought into agreement with a coherent philosophical system and world view. The administration had an improvised and traditional firm of organization, not a systematic organization. Roman philosophers had no understanding of economic theory, and cared very little about the practical aspects of statecraft. Lots of things where Roman ways of thinking had, in my view, stagnated in the imperial era, and didn't change until long after the whole edifice started to collapse on itself from outside pressures.

Amazing updates as always! On the question of Roman innovation, it's interesting that in a period of demilitarization and relative peace, they would've stagnated so much in terms of technological and societal development. I know it's repeated often that the massive use of slaves discouraged innovation but by these times, the influx of slaves from new captured lands would've dried up, no?

Last edited:
24.8 THE WAR BETWEEN NARSĒ AND DIOCLETIAN AND THE FIRST PEACE TREATY OF NISIBIS.
24.8 THE WAR BETWEEN NARSĒ AND DIOCLETIAN AND THE FIRST PEACE TREATY OF NISIBIS.

The chronology of the war between Narsē and Diocletian is quite hazy, and scholars have proposed different timelines for it. In parallel to the first stage of the war there was also a huge revolt in Egypt that became tightly interwoven with the campaign. In my previous post I finished stating that Narsē attacked Tirdad in Armenia in 294-295 CE; that’s the chronology proposed by Ilkka Syvänne. But other historians like Stephen Williams (author of a biography of Diocletian) dated Narsē’s attack against Tirdad to the Fall of 296 CE. In any case, the Georgian Chronicle states that the king of Iberia joined forces with Narsē to oust Tirdad from Armenia. The Armenian chronicle attributed to Faustus of Byzantium also supports this description of events; under this massive assault on two fronts Tirdad’s resistance was hopeless and could not have lasted long.

There are few fixed dates around which we can anchor the events chronologically. One of them is the publication of Diocletian’s tax reform edict in Egypt by its Prefect Aristius Optatius in March 297 CE, and the other one is the signing of the First Peace of Nisibis during the initial months of 299 CE. This edict extended Diocletian’s sweeping reform of the entire empire’s administrative and territorial system into Egypt, which had a fiscal different that was different from any other part of the empire and was a relic from Ptolemaic times.

Twenty years earlier Egypt had not opposed much resistance to the Palmyrene invasion, and since then the imperial hold on Egypt had been experienced as both oppressive and uncertain. Taxes in kind had squeezed the villages mercilessly, while they suffered the added trouble of differential inflation: in 293 CE at Oxyrhynchus in the Fayum the price of a donkey or camel was 60 times what it had been in 250 CE, while an artaba of wheat fetched only 12 times the old price. At the same time the central government, distracted by wars elsewhere, failed to provide security from desert raiders. During the period when the Mauri and Berber tribes were attacking the Roman settlements in North Africa, the Blemmyes were incessantly raiding the caravan routes from the Red Sea ports across the desert to Coptos on the Nile valley. Such cities depended on this trade to survive and pay their taxes, but were unable to prevent these raids, and received only occasional help from the Roman Prefect. Finally, in 293-95 CE Galerius seems to have mounted a successful military expedition against the Blemmyes, but it did not lighten the tax burden: rather, it added to it the cost of maintaining Galerius’ comitatus.

Coin-Galerius-01.jpg

Aureus of Galerius as caesar. On the obverse, (Galerius) MAXIMIANUS NOB(ilissimus) CAES(ar). On the reverse, IOVI CONS(ervatori) CAES(aris), with a full bodied portrait of Jupiter.

It is difficult to say how far the Manichean influence was also working on the feelings of the Nile communities in the following tense years. There are intriguing fragments of letters from a certain Paniskos, writing from Coptos in the Thebaid to his wife at Philadelphia in the Fayum to the north, who talks of gathering arms and equipment, and persuading others to come and join the company of the “Good Men”. As this was one of the names by which Manichaean Elects were called by their followers, some scholars think that perhaps Paniskos was a Manichean, but the evidence is inconclusive.

By this time Diocletian had begun his monumental reform of the Empire's tax system, and he now began to apply its procedures and rules to Egypt, which had always been an anomalous province fiscally, and even enjoyed its own independent coinage in parallel with Rome's. The old tax system (a relic from Ptolemaic times) deliberately favored the Greek urban gentry against the Egyptian peasantry; the former had a far lower poll tax and tax on their private lands, while the private lands of Alexandrians were not taxed at all. All these privileges were now to be abolished: the tax on each unit of land of whatever kind was to be assessed on the uniform, equal standard of its productive capacity alone (same as elsewhere in the empire). To accomplish this a new census of land and people was planned for all Egypt, to begin in 297 CE. In Williams’ view, this egalitarian measure should have been welcomed by the peasantry. But either it came too late, or they simply saw the census as a preliminary to yet more exactions. At any event it failed to counterbalance the already deep resentments of the Greek upper classes, especially the Alexandrians, who feared their city was to lose its special status of royal political capital, which it had enjoyed since the Ptolemies. Thus, according to Williams, March 297 CE would have been the date of the start of the Egyptian rebellion. But Ilkka Syvänne proposes another alternative: that the edict of March 297 CE was published to help calming down the heated situation in Egypt, and so it would have marked the end, rather than the beginning of the rebellion.

Coin-Diocletian-01.jpg

Gold medallion of Diocletian. On the obverse, DIOCLETIANVS P(ius) F(elix) AVG(ustus) COS VIII (i.e. "consul for the eight time"). On the reverse, FELICITAS TEMPORVM with Diocletian and Maximian offering a sacrifice to the gods.

For the reconstruction of the military events, I will follow Syvänne’s account, which is the most detailed one that I’ve been able to find. As I said before, in 293-95 CE, while Diocletian wrapped things up in the Balkans and embarked in his sweeping program of administrative reforms, Galerius was sent to upper Egypt to deal with the disturbances there, which included some sort of local rebellion caused (or helped) by raids of the Blemmyes, and perhaps also with some sort of involvement by the Axumite and Hymiarite kingdoms (which at this point in time were hostile to the Romans). While Galerius was busy in Egypt, in 294 CE Diocletian launched a large offensive against the Sarmatians in Pannonia which ended in a resounding victory (the four Tetrarchs took the title Sarmaticus Maximus as a result). He later followed the Danube downstream and fought the Carpi; by late 295 CE he was in Nicomedia where he spent the winter. The following year saw heavy fighting in every border of the Roman empire. In Gaul, Constantius launched finally his naval assault against the imperium Britanniarum of Allectus (Carausius’ successor), who was allied with the Franks and so the fighting extended to all the lower Rhenish border. Meanwhile Maximian travelled from Gaul to Spain, crossed the strait of Gibraltar to North Africa and fought there an extremely hard and costly campaign against the Berber tribal confederations of the Bavares, Quinquegentiani and Austuriani.

After defeating Tirdad and expelling him from Armenia in 294-95 CE, Narsē would have been ready to attack the latter’s Roman allies. Consequently, in 295 CE Galerius would have travelled in haste from Egypt to Syria to oppose Narsē’s invasion of Roman territory. He scored an initial success against Narsē and all four Tetrarchs took the title Persicus Maximus, but the situation in Egypt had not yet been fully pacified and Narsē was not about to give up. The Sasanian king renewed his offensive against Syria in the early summer of 296 CE and things started to go from bad to worse. According to Orosius (the only author who stated so, see below), Galerius, heavily outnumbered, fought two inconclusive battles, the first of which must refer to the year 295 CE and the latter to the early summer of 296 CE. According to Syvänne, after the second battle the Persians were able to push Galerius’ force aside and conquer some Roman fortresses, which in turn led Galerius to ask for help from Diocletian. Let’s see how the ancient sources describe the events that followed between the Romans and Narsē:

Aurelius Victor, Liber de caesaribus:
In the meantime, after Jovius (i.e. Diocletian) had departed for Alexandria, the caesar Maximianus (i.e. Galerius) received his assignment to cross the borders, and advanced into Mesopotamia in order to stem the tide of the Persian advance. Gravely defeated by them at first (…)

Festus, Breviarium rerum gestarum populi romani:
Maximianus caesar (i.e. Galerius), in the first engagement, having attacked vigorously an innumerable body of enemies with a handful of men, withdrew defeated, and Diocletian received him with such indignation that he had to run for a few miles before his carriage, garbed in his purple.

Flavius Eutropius, Breviarium historiae romanae:
Galerius Maximianus in acting against Narses fought, on the first occasion, a battle far from successful, meeting him between Callinicum and Carrhae, and engaging in the combat rather with rashness than want of courage; for he contended with a small army against a very numerous enemy. Being in consequence defeated, and going to join Diocletian, he was received by him, when he met him on the road, with such extreme haughtiness, that he is said to have run by his chariot for several miles in his scarlet robes.

Ammianus Marcellinus, Res gestae:
On one occasion in Syria, Galerius, clad in purple, had to march on foot for nearly a mile before the carriage of an enraged Augustus (i.e. Diocletian).

Orosius, Adversus paganos:
Besides, Galerius Maximianus, after he had fought Narses in two battles, in a third battle somewhere between Callinicum and Carrhae, met Narses and was conquered, and after losing his troops fled to Diocletian. He was received by him very arrogantly, so that he is reported, though clad in purple, to have been made to run before his carriage, but he used this insult as whetstone to valor, as a result of which, after the rust of royal pride had rubbed off, he developed a sharpness of mind.

John Malalas, Chronographia:
When the Persians again stirred up trouble, Diocletian took up arms and campaigned against them with Maximianus (i.e. Galerius). When they reached Antioch the Great, the same Diocletian sent Maximianus Caesar (i.e. Galerius) against the Persians and waited himself in Antioch.

Theophanes, Chronicon:
In this year Maximianus Galerius was dispatched by Diocletian against Narses, the king of Persia, who at that time had overrun Syria and was ravaging it. Meeting him (i.e. Narsē) in battle, he (i.e. Galerius) lost the first encounter at the area of Callinicum and Carrhae. While withdrawing from battle, he met Diocletian riding in a chariot. He did not welcome the caesar (accompanied as he was by his own show of pomp) and left him alone to run along for a considerable distance and precede his chariot.

Zonaras, Extracts of History:
(…) while this Narses was then ravaging Syria, Diocletian, while passing through Egypt against the Ethiopians, sent his own son-in-law Galerius Maximianus with enough strength to fight with him. He clashed with the Persians, was defeated and fled.

Syvänne’s version of the events is as follows: when Diocletian received news Galerius’ difficulties, he was still in the Balkans. Now he had no other choice than to march to Antioch, arriving there in late 296 CE. In Syvänne’s estimation, he probably brought with him five new legions (30,000 men) that would be subsequently garrisoned in the East. Diocletian then gave Galerius a force which he deemed large enough for the task at hand (according to Zonaras, because Festus and Eutropius wrote that Galerius was badly outnumbered). In the following spring of 297 CE Galerius advanced against the dreaded Iranian cavalry on the plain between Carrhae and Callinicum (the same place where Crassus and Valerian had been defeated) with predictable results. He suffered a humiliating defeat in which he appears to have lost most of his troops. Syvänne thinks that considering Diocletian’s reaction to the defeat Galerius had been probably in charge of a cavalry vanguard and had engaged the enemy prematurely without waiting for the arrival of Diocletian (hence Diocletian’s furious reaction). Whatever the cause of the defeat it is still clear in Syvänne’s opinion that the presence of Diocletian’s sizable comitatus plus the reinforcements from the Balkans denied Narsē the possibility to exploit their victory and they retreated.

Harran-01.jpg

Part of the plain of Harran (ancient Carrhae) lies now in Turkey and has been turned into irrigated farmland using water from the Euphrates dams. This aerial photograph gives a good idea of the completely flat and open nature of this tract of land.

Diocletian was furious with the poor performance of Galerius and when the defeated commander came into his presence he made Galerius feel his displeasure in public by making the overly proud caesar run on foot in front of Diocletian’s chariot. The public humiliation was meant to chastise the failed commander and make him the scapegoat. It was not Diocletian who had failed but his caesar. Nevertheless, it’s worth mentioning that Lactantius, who was the only author strictly contemporary to these events, wrote nothing of the sort, and that given his hatred for Diocletian and Galerius (the two great persecutors of Christians) he wouldn’t have missed the opportunity to further tarnished their reputation.

Coin-Narseh-02.jpg

Gold dinar of Narsē.

Diocletian dispatched Galerius to the Balkans to gather a new army while he secured the borders. However, there followed another piece of bad news. Egypt had revolted again after troops had been transferred to Syria. If the tax edict of the Prefect of Egypt Aristius Optatius is dated to March 296 CE as Williams and Barnes do, then it is possible that the cause of the revolt was the new uniform tax system introduced by Diocletian, but if it is to be dated to March 297 CE as Roger Rees does then the purpose of the new tax edict would have been to reconcile the locals to the government. The edict actually claims that it corrects injustice so it is possible that the revolt was just a continuation of the previous one of 293-95 CE. It is in fact probable that Galerius had failed to pacify Egypt before having to march to Syria in 295 CE. Revolts overthrew Roman authority almost everywhere: in the Thebaid, centered on the trading cities of Coptos and Ptolemais, in the Fayum and the Delta, at Busiris, Caranis, Theadelphia, and finally the great metropolis of Alexandria itself. The population rose, overpowered the Prefect and magistrates and what forces they had, and probably massacred them.

Consequently, when the military situation had stabilized with the onset of winter and the arrival of new reinforcements from the Danubian frontier, Diocletian marched to Egypt to crush the revolt. Two new legions, Legio II Flavia Constantia, and Legio III Diocletiana Thebaeorum are attested for the first time in 296 CE, but in Syvänne’s opinion it is likelier that these had already been created by Diocletian well before this for Galerius’ Egyptian campaign and that the legions just become visible in the historical record when they are garrisoned for the first time. Another possibility is that these were indeed created by Diocletian for his Egyptian campaign so that he would not have to withdraw any more troops from the eastern frontier than was necessary. It would have been wiser to take the new legions (probably formed with a core of veterans) against the Egyptian militias rather than use those against the dreaded Sasanians.

It should not come as a surprise that the senior augustus chose to march with the bulk of the forces to Egypt at a time when Narsē held the upper hand. Romans emperors always saw usurpations as more serious threats than foreign invasions. Egyptian grain undoubtedly played its role too. Therefore, in practice, the division of the army meant that Galerius was once again left with too few men to deal with the Sasanians, but this time Galerius opted to engage the enemy through subterfuge. He did not have enough men to engage them in the open.

The Egyptian insurgents proclaimed allegiance to a new augustus, Lucius Domitius Domitianus. His coinage claimed imperial partnership with the Diocletian and Maximian, just as Carausius and Allectus had done at the other end of the empire in the imperium Britanniarum. He also struck coins of the old Ptolemaic pattern which were popular among the Alexandrians, reasserting the essentially Hellenic character of his regime. Beyond this we nothing is known about Domitianus, but he seems in any case to have been largely a figurehead in the revolt. The real power was a character called Achilleus who took the title corrector Aegypti and combined supreme civil and military power in his hands.

Coin-Domitius-Domitianus-01.jpg

Silver argenteus of Domitius Domitianus. On the obverse, IMP(erator) C(aesar) L(ucius) DOMITIVS DOMITIANVS AVG(ustus). On the reverse, GENIVS POPVLI ROMANI.

Despite Galerius' defeat, the Sasanians had made only limited headway: their initial thrust had been blunted and fallen a long way short of taking Antioch. In the breathing space imposed by summer, Galerius strained all his resources to summoning and organizing a fresh army with troops withdrawn from the Danubian border, while Diocletian detached a proportion of the existing forces in the East and led them in rapid marches to Egypt. Some Roman forces still seem to have remained there, and with the arrival of the Emperor and a new army, the systematic isolation and reduction of the Thebaid and Fayum cities began. They were besieged and fell one by one during the autumn and early winter of 297 CE: Coptos sometime after September, Theadelphia in October, Caranis after November, Tebtunis after December. Diocletian had meanwhile begun the major task of besieging Alexandria itself.

Alexandria-01.jpg

Restitution of the Via Canopica (the main street) of ancient Alexandria looking west, by the French architect and archaeologist Jean-Claude Golvin.

The great metropolis of Egypt, second only to Rome in size among the cities of the empire, was well prepared for a siege: the inhabitants had all the resources for producing weapons and artillery to resist. Achilleus took command and dismissed all thoughts of surrender. Though Diocletian's forces were superior in open battle, he had been forced to divide them to sever communications and subdue the rest of the country and preferred a slow strangulation to a costly assault. He therefore invested Alexandria closely, cutting off the channel that brought fresh water from the Nile to feed the underground cisterns from which the Alexandrians got their drinking water.

Alexandria-Map-01.gif

Map of ancient Alexandria. Along its southern walls, you can see the Canal of Alexandria, that brought fresh water to the city from the Canopic branch of the Nile. This was the only source of drinkable water for the city.

The defenders held out with stubborn determination. Perhaps they hoped for relief from the Sasanians, if only in the form of a fresh campaign that might force Diocletian to lift the siege. One account suggests that Achilleus may have attempted to break out, unsuccessfully. At all events, no help came. Galerius was holding Syria and steadily strengthening his position, and meanwhile the revolt in the rest of Egypt was being stamped out. After an unexpectedly prolonged and dogged resistance of eight months, the exhausted Alexandrians finally capitulated in March of 298 CE. Diocletian, enraged by their treachery and the length of their defiance, and perhaps fearful for the future security of the East, was in no mood for clemency. A terrible example was to be made of the turbulent Alexandrians that would end their separatist yearnings for a long time to come: all those who had actively supported the rebellion were to be put to the sword. According to one story Diocletian, deaf to all pleas for mercy, vowed that the slaughter would not stop until the blood reached his horses' knees. But his horse unexpectedly collapsed so that its knees were on the ground: at this sign, he finally ordered a halt to the killing. According to Malalas, the wry humor of the Alexandrians later caused them to erect in gratitude a bronze statue of Diocletian's horse:

John Malalas, Chronographia:
At that time, the Egyptians held a tyranny and slaughtered their leaders. Diocletian marched against them, and waged war in Alexandria. He besieged them and dug a trench around the city. He then cut off the aqueduct and diverted it away from Canopus, as it had been of some use to the city. When he took Alexandria, he set it ablaze. He came into it mounted on his horse, which trotted about on the corpses. He ordered one of his officers not to desist from slaughter until the blood of the slain reached the knee of the horse upon which he sat. It happened, in accordance with this order, that as he approached close to the gate, the horse upon which he was riding tripped over the corpse of a man and collapsing upon it had its knee covered in blood. This gave a pretense for indulgence, and the soldiers ceased killing the citizens of Alexandria. The Alexandrians erected a bronze statue to the horse out of gratitude. Up to this day, this spot is called the “Horse of Diocletian”.

Diocletians-Column-01.jpg

Very few remains of classical Alexandria can be seen at street level today. One of them is the column known as "Pompey's pillar", which was actually a triumphal column raised in honor of Diocletian after his crushing of the Egyptian revolt. It stood within the precinct of the Serapeum, the most famed monument of the city.

Serapeum-01.jpg

Restitution of the Serapeum (with Diocletian's column) alongside the hippodrome of Alexandria (the Lageion) at the southwestern corner of ancient Alexandria by the French architect and archaeologist Jean-Claude Golvin.

In the rest of Egypt Roman authority was reasserted with an iron hand. According to Eusebius the cities of Coptos and Busiris, which had been at the center of the revolt, were destroyed in reprisal for their alleged treachery. Two new settlements in Upper Egypt were named Diocletianopolis and Maximianopolis, one of which was probably the former Coptos. The new tax laws and land census went ahead under the direct eye of the Emperor; Egypt lost its traditional right to a separate coinage and was administratively subdivided. Lower Egypt, the Delta and the Fayum, were formally separated from the new southern province of Thebaid, although a unified fiscal control was retained. As elsewhere in the Empire, civil and military lines of authority were completely separated.

But Syvänne points out that this was probably not the end of the Egyptian campaign. Zonaras and Aurelius Victor both claimed that Diocletian was fighting against the “Ethiopians” in Egypt when Narsē invaded Syria. So Syvänne thinks that Diocletian still needed to punish the allies of the rebels, the “Ethiopians” (that he views as Aksumites) and their clients the Blemmyes, and probably also the Himyarites (the kingdom of Hymiar was located in what’s today Yemen). The inclusion of the “Ethiopians” and “Indians” (probably a poetic license for the Himyarites, as both Hymiar and India lay beyond the Red Sea) as enemies in one of the Panegyrici Latini (Pan.Lat. 8.5.2) implies this in Syvänne’s opinion. To Syvänne, it’s probable that the Meroites were also clients of the Aksumites and thereby enemies of Rome, but this is not known with certainty. Diocletian’s solution to this problem showed once again his political skill. In 298 CE he concluded a treaty with the Nobatae (the Nubians, another people who inhabited in what’s currently Sudan) against the Blemmyes, and then also another treaty with the Blemmyes. Both treaties included payments of money in return for peace. In addition to this, in return for their help, the Nobatae received the Dodekaschoinos (south of Egypt) which was to serve as a buffer zone between Roman Egypt and the Blemmyes and Meroites, and their overlords the Aksumites. Diocletian’s decision to use the Nubians against the Blemmyes and Aksumites further undermined the relative position of the Kingdom of Meroe among the kingdoms of the area. Henceforth, the Meroites would be surrounded by the Nubians on three sides. If they were to survive, they needed help from their overlords, the Aksumites, who were not wholly friendly towards them either. Syvänne also suggests that he conclusion of the treaty with the Blemmyes in turn may have signified Roman support for the Blemmyes against the Aksumites with the result that the relative power of the latter diminished, but this is less certain because it is possible that the treaty could also have included the overlords of the Blemmyes (the Aksumites) as well.

In addition, Diocletian fortified and garrisoned the island of Philae close to the city of Elephantine and built temples and altars on it to serve as common places of worship for the Nobatae, Blemmyes and Romans. These sanctuaries remained in use until the reign of Justinian, who tore them down. In other words, Diocletian used religion successfully to connect the Roman and tribal interests in the area and thereby set a precedent for the Christian emperors to emulate.

Diocletian-Gate-of-Philae.jpg

The Gate of Diocletian at Philae in Upper Egypt.

The official attitude to the Manicheans underwent a change as a result of their perceived connections with the Sasanian empire and Diocletian’s suspicion about their involvement in the Egyptian revolt (Manicheans were particularly numerous in this country). The distinctive features of the religion (its closed communities, exclusiveness and hostility to Hellenic and Roman official gods), were now all seen in a highly suspicious light, as a subversive foreign influence which had to be eradicated. The radical change of policy from normal toleration to outright repression is expressed a few years later in Diocletian's ferocious instructions in a letter to Iulianus, proconsul of Africa, concerning the Manicheans in his province:

We note that these men (…) have set up new and unheard-of sects in opposition to the old established creeds, with the intention of replacing what was formerly our divine heritage, by their own depraved doctrines. We learn that these men have only recently sprung up, and spread like unexpected portents from our enemy, the Persian nation, to our own part of the world, perpetrating outrages, disturbing the peace and causing the gravest harm to communities. We fear they may try, in the accursed manner of the Persians, to infect men of a more innocent nature among the tranquil and moderate Roman people, indeed infect the entire Empire with what can only be called their malevolent poison (…).
Therefore, we order that their founders and leaders be subject to most severe punishment: they are to be burnt in the flames, together with their abominable writings. Their followers, and especially the fanatics, shall suffer capital penalty and their goods confiscated to our treasury. And if any officials or persons of rank or distinction have gone over to some outlandish, disgraceful and infamous sect, especially this creed of the Persians, you shall confiscate their estates and deport the persons themselves to the Phaenensian or Proconnensian mines (…).

It is thought that this letter clarified a formal imperial edict against the Manicheans which scholars have dated to 302 CE, although the text of the edict itself has not survived. Though prompted by fear of the Sasanians, the persecution of the Manicheans may have played its part in the changing official attitude towards Christianity also, as the edict against the Christians followed only a year later.

Satala-01.jpg

Remains of a Roman aquesduct at Satala (modern Sadak, eastern Turkey).

In 298 CE Galerius decided to use the reinforcements, which included Gothic foederati cavalry (if Jordanes his right in his Getica) that he had brought from the Danube frontier to make an invasion of the Armenian territory held by the Sasanians. Syvänne hypothesizes that it may actually have been Narsē’s plan to advance through Armenia to the legionary base of Satala in Cappadocia and from there either towards Syria or deeper into Asia Minor aiming at Nicomedia, because according to the Armenian chronicler Faustus of Byzantium (who misplaced the event by ca. 40–50 years) Narsē’s camp was at Oschay in the district of Basean, in the Armenian southwest near the modern Turkish city of Erzurum. This would mean that Galerius merely reacted to Narsē’s actions. What followed was the greatest victory ever achieved by the Romans against the Iranians since the rise of the House of Sāsān to the throne of Iran.

Galerius’ army was composed of first-class troops from the Danube, supported by Gothic and Sarmatian mercenaries (which were probably heavy cavalry lancers, helping the Romans balance the Sasanians’ cavalry advantage), and according to some sources amounted to 25,000 men. The growing success of the Tetrarchy's defense policies is demonstrated by the fact that such large forces could now be drawn off the Danube without sectors of that frontier giving way under renewed external pressure, as had happened so often before.

Erzurum-01.jpg

Mountain landscape near Erzurum in eastern Turkey.

Araxes-01.jpg

View of the valley of the upper Aras river (ancient Araxes) in eastern Turkey.

This time the terrain favored Galerius as the Sasanian army avoided the open plains of Mesopotamia, so favorable to its cavalry, and moved north-east through the mountains of Armenia. Joined by Tirdad, Galerius was able to add to his strength with new Armenian forces, especially its famed cavalry. Taking full advantage of the terrain, his scouts carefully shadowed the unwieldy bulk of the Persian army as it moved through the valley of the upper Araxes river (modern Aras). Then, near modern Erzerum (and near the ancient city of Satala), he launched a surprise attack allegedly at dawn against the Sasanian camp, taking the enemy completely by surprise. It caused maximum confusion in the cramped Persian army, who were never able to construct their battle order. Tirdad’s horses dealt with the Sasanian cavalry, and Galerius turned the ensuing conflict into a bloody and absolutely crushing victory. The šāhān šāh was wounded and barely escaped with a bodyguard, but all his tents, treasures, his accompanying family and harem were captured. The booty was so great that it became legendary. Its transport posed a respectable logistic problem, as the long processions of pack animals on the triumphal arch of Galerius at Salonica illustrate.

Arch-of-Galerius-01.jpg

Depiction of the battle of Satala on the triumphal Arch of Galerius in Thessalonica.

Here was revenge at last for the humiliating captivity of a Roman Emperor thirty-five years earlier. Narsē fled Armenia into Media, perhaps in fear that the Romans could attempt to take over the central core of his empire in the Iranian plateau. Meanwhile, Galerius exploited his victory to the tilt and advanced from Armenia into Media Atropatene and then to Adiabene and defeated the Sasanians in two pitched battles after which he captured Nisibis before October 298 CE. Narsē had sent an envoy (Affarbān the Hazārbed) very soon after his disastrous defeat to negotiate the release of his family but had gotten a stern refusal. In response Galerius noted to Affarbān how Šābuhr I had treated Valerian and had then skinned and stuffed him for public display. The only ancient text that has survived describing this encounter and the later diplomatic negotiations that led to the First Peace of Nisibis is the VI century CE East Roman author (and imperial diplomat) Petrus Patricius. His full work has been lost, but these two fragments hace arrived to us preserved in quotations by later authors:

Apharban, who was particularly dear to Narses, king of Persia, was sent on an embassy and came before Galerius in supplication. When he had received license to speak, he said, “It is clear to the race of men that the Roman and Persian Empires are, as it were, two lamps; as with (two) eyes, each one should be adorned by the brightness of the other and not for ever be angry seeking the destruction of each other. For this is not considered virtue but rather levity or weakness. Because men think that later generations cannot help them, they are eager to destroy those who are opposed to them. However, it should not be thought that Narses is weaker than all the other kings; rather that Galerius so surpasses all other kings that to him alone does Narses himself justly yield and yet does not become lower than his forebears’ worth”. In addition to this, Apharban said that he had been commanded by Narses to entrust the rights of his Empire to the clemency of the Romans, since they were reasonable. For that reason, he did not bring the terms on which the treaty would be based but gave it all to the judgement of the Emperor. He (Narses) only begged that just (his) children and wives be returned to him, saying that through their return he would remain bound by acts of kindness rather than by arms. He could not give adequate thanks that those in captivity had not experienced any outrage there but had been treated in such a way as if they would soon be returned to their own rank. With this he brought to memory the changeable nature of human affairs.
Galerius seemed to grow angry at this, shaking his body. In reply he said that he did not deem the Persians very worthy to remind others of the variation in human affairs, since they themselves, when they got the opportunity, did not cease to impose misfortunes on men. “Indeed, you observed the rule of victory towards Valerian in a fine way, you who deceived him through stratagems and took him, and did not release him until his extreme old age and dishonorable death. Then, after his death, by some loathsome art you preserved his skin and brought an immortal outrage to the mortal body”. The Emperor went through these things and said that he was not moved by what the Persians suggested through the embassy, that one ought to consider human fortunes; indeed, it was more fitting to be moved to anger on this account, if one took notice of what the Persians had done. However, he followed the footsteps
of his own forebears, whose custom it was to spare subjects but to wage war against those who opposed them; then he instructed the ambassador to make known to his own king the nobility and goodness of the Romans whose kindness he had put to the test, and that he should hope also that before long, by the resolve of the Emperor, they (i.e. the captives) would return to him.

When Diocletian returned from Egypt in the spring of 299 CE and met Galerius at Nisibis he took command of events and serious negotiations began. Diocletian sent his Magister Memoriae (chief secretary) Sicorius Probus to present the following terms to Narsē’s envoys:
  • Persia was to hand over territory so that the Tigris was to be the border between the empires.
  • Armenia was to become again a Roman protectorate and Tirdad was to be restored as the king of Greater Armenia.
  • Iberia was to become a Roman protectorate and its king was to be nominated by Rome.
  • Five Armenian satrapies on the eastern bank of the Tigris were to be handed over to the Romans; Tirdad was to be compensated at the expense of the Sasanians by annexing territory on his eastern border up to the fortress of Zintha in Media.
  • Nisibis was to be the only place for commercial transactions (this limited the possibilities of spies posing as traders and secured the collection of customs duties).
The negotiations were conducted in somewhere in Media between Sicorius Probus (who kept in constant contact with Diocletian, who was at Nisibis with Galerius) and Narsē, with Affarbān the Hazārbed and Burz-Šābuhr the Hargbed (probably the same one as the Šābuhr the Hargbed listed in the Paikuli inscription) present in the meeting alongside the king. Again, a detailed account of these talks has been preserved in the work of Petrus Patricius:

Galerius and Diocletian met at Nisibis, where they took counsel and by common consent sent an ambassador to Persia, Sicorius Probus, an archival clerk. Narses received him cordially because of the hope inspired by the proclamation he made. Narses also contrived some delay. As if he wanted the envoys who came with Sicorius to recover from their weariness, he took Sicorius, who was not ignorant of what was happening, as far as near the Asproudas, a river of Media, until those who had been scattered around because of the war had assembled. Then, in the inner room of the palace, when he had sent out everyone else and required only the presence of Apharban as well as Archapet and Bar(a)sabor, of whom the one was praetorian prefect and the other was chief secretary, he ordered Probus to give an account of his embassy. The principal points of the embassy were these: that in the eastern region the Romans should have Intelene along with Sophene, and Arzanene along with Cordyene and Zabdicene, that the river Tigris should be the boundary between each state, that the fortress Zintha, which lies on the border of Media, should mark the edge of Armenia, that the king of Iberia should pay to the Romans the insignia of his kingdom and that the city of Nisibis, which lies on the Tigris, should be the place for transactions.
Narses heard these things and since the present fortune did not allow him to refuse any of them, he agreed to them all, except, in order not to seem to do everything under constraint, he refused only that Nisibis should be the place of transactions. Sicorius, however, said, “This point must be yielded. Moreover, the embassy has no power of its own and has received no instructions on this point from the emperors”. Therefore, when these things were agreed on, his wives and children were returned to Narses, for through the emperor’s love of honor, pure discretion had been maintained towards them.

The treaty of 299 CE, which was entirely Diocletian's work just as surely as the military victory was Galerius', was a piece of far-sighted construction centered in the interests of more economically defensible frontiers for the Roman East. The new frontier ran in a north-easterly wedge through Mesopotamia, from Singara across the Tigris to its apex near lake Van, then due west again, skirting the Armenian mountains in the North and the Syrian desert in the South. Tirdad of course was restored to Armenia. To provide the straight north-easterly line to lake Van, five small satrapies of Armenia were now annexed to Rome: Ingilene, Sophene, Arzanene, Zabdicene and Corduene. Armenia was well compensated at Persian expense by a large part of Media Atropatene. On the north-east flank of Armenia itself the Roman position was carefully buttressed by taking from Persia formal overlordship of the client state of Iberia in the Caucasus, and installing there a new king, Mirham. His function was to control the Caucasus passes for Rome, cutting off the Sasanians from contact with the “Scythians”, and close Asia Minor off to new migrations of Goths, whose movements towards the Caucasus Diocletian and Tirdad had been anxiously watching for some years.

In mere territorial terms Narses had come off lightly. But everywhere along his new, withdrawn western frontiers, points of vulnerability which might be profitably exploited by the Sasanians to encroach on the Roman East were all firmly closed. The peace of 299 CE was to last another forty years.

But it was not without very heavy Roman investment in security. Though Diocletian, like all Emperors before him, made maximum use of client kings to take over the costly burden of policing distant frontiers, his whole new line was heavily fortified according to the dictates of the terrain. From the lake Van highlands, south across the Tigris to the Jebel Sinjar ridge, to Circesium on the Euphrates, to Dura, Palmyra, Damascus and Bostra, new defensive works were created. To the other main support establishments for the army (garrison towns, mints, supply depots) Diocletian added the important features of central armament factories (fabricae) at Edessa, Antioch, Damascus, Caesarea as well as Nicomedia. They were entirely under state control, managed along military lines and integrated into the overall army commands.

A hero's welcome was arranged for Galerius at Antioch. He was officially hailed in the panegyrics as “conqueror of Persia”, and commemorative medallion shows him on horseback crowned by Victory, charging a group of eastern foes. He perhaps expected the full ceremony of an individual triumph at Rome, and by all conventional standards his victory certainly merited it. If so he was disappointed, for when the triumph was finally celebrated at Rome, his eastern victory was swallowed in a huge combined festival to all the Tetrarchs, their victories and anniversaries, a few reliefs of which are still in the Roman Forum near the Arch of Septimius Severus.

Thessalonica-02.jpg

Galerius rebuilt and embellished the city of Thessalonica (his main residence as a Tetrach) on a grandiose manner. The imperial complex that he built covered a qyuarter of the surface of the early IV century CE city, and included his mausoleum (the great domed building at the lower left side of the image) and his palace right next to the new and massive circus. Alongside the northern side of the palace ran a colonnaded street that was the new monumental entryway to the city, and in the middle of this colonnaded street stood the Arch of Galerius, built in the form of a tetrapylon. Under it stood the main ceremonial entry to the palace and circus, and opposite to this entrance, another colonnaded street led to his mausoleum.

Arch-of-Galerius-07.jpg

Reconstruction of the Arch of Galerius on the colonnaded street, as it would have looked flike to someone entering the city. The palace and circus stood to the left.

Arch-of-Galerius-09.jpg

Remains of the Arch of Galerius.

Arch-of-Galerius-10.jpg

Reconstruction of the view of Galerius' mausoleum as seen from under the Arch of Galerius (standing right at the entry of the palace).

But at his own imperial residence of Thessalonica (modern Salonica in northern Greece) he was accorded celebrations, and a triumphal arch built, which still stands today. The surviving reliefs tell the story of his victory and set it in the context of the Tetrarchy's special theology. Galerius is shown addressing his mail-clad cavalry troops in a mountainous region; in battle with elephants in the background; on horseback in the thick of the fighting, with Sasanian soldiers being slain and trampled all around; then receiving the surrender of a city; finally, dictating peace terms to the suppliant Narsē. The more damaged lower panels show Galerius in battle dress accompanied by Peace, sacrificing at an altar on which are reliefs of Jove and Hercules. Nearby stands Diocletian in a non-military cloak, graciously conceding that he is not the actual victor. He is, rather, the architect of order, accompanied by Jove whose universal rule is symbolized by a zodiac. Then on a base panel, the four Tetrarchs are surrounded by gods, the two central augusti enthroned over a heavenly vault, with their caesares standing to either side.

Arch-of-Galerius-03.jpg

Relief from the Arch of Galerius, with Diocletian and Galerius offering a sacrifice. Galerius stands to the right of the image in full military gear while Diocletian stands to the left dressed in civilian clothes.

Narsē lived three years more after the signing of the First Peace of Nisibis, and after his death the Sasanian empire fell into a period of instability and internal turmoil that witnessed a comeback of the old habits of the wuzurgān as it had happened in Arsacid times, with nobiliary revolts and dethronement and crowning of kings from the House of Sāsān by opposed nobiliary factions. Ērānsahr would not get back from the internecine infighting until the young Šābuhr II came of age and reasserted royal authority with an iron hand.

For Diocletian, the new annexations and protectorates in the East were purely defensive measures which provided the Roman empire with buffer zones that protected the rich provinces of the Roman East in Anatolia, Syria and Egypt from further devastating Sasanian invasions. But the Iranians saw them in another light. For them, the client Roman kingdoms of Armenia and Iberia and the new Roman province of Mesopotamia (especially the five satrapies beyond the Tigris) were nothing more than a dagger permanently pointed to the throat of Ērānsahr, as in them the Romans could assemble invasion armies and launch invasions against the Iranian empire from advantage points: control over upper Mesopotamia allowed the Romans to launch invasions against Asorēstān and Ctesiphon from an alarmingly close departing point, and with two convenient invasion routes open to them (the Euphrates and Tigris valleys). But the Roman control over Armenia, Iberia and especially the five satrapies east of the Tigris was much worse, because they offered the Romans easy access to the passes across the Zagros and into Media and the Iranian plateau. No self-respecting šāhān šāh could allow such a situation to exist for long, and so when Šābuhr II secured his personal rule over Ērānsahr, the next round of large-scale wars between the two empires began.

Last edited:
And with the former post, this thread has finally come to its end. The events concerning the IV century will be posted on a new thread. Thanks to everyone who has followed it :).

Amazing updates as always! On the question of Roman innovation, it's interesting that in a period of demilitarization and relative peace, they would've stagnated so much in terms of technological and societal development. I know it's repeated often that the massive use of slaves discouraged innovation but by these times, the influx of slaves from new captured lands would've dried up, no?

Technological advances in ancient societies were rarely significant enough to really make a change in the larger political and economic state of affairs, and I wouldn't blame it entirely on ancient Rome being a slave-driven economy. Archaeology has shown that large latifundia worked by slaves only existed in some very specific areas of the empire, especially in southern Italy and Sicily. But for example the great latifundia of North Africa seem to have employed a free workforce (well, as "free" as it could be given the circumstances, think of jornaleros in southern Spain or former black slaves and their descendants in the American South, Brazil or Cuba), and the same seems to have been the case in Aquitaine and Baetica. As for other areas of the empire, archeaology hasn’t found practically any examples of large agrarian latifundia on the same scale. In the eastern part of the empire (its richest part), latifundia and even large luxurious country residences are unknown of in the archaeological register. As a matter of fact, Europe, the Mediterranean and the Near East lagged painfully behind India and China in such key technological areas as textiles and metallurgy until the Modern Era. Under the Han dynasty, the Chinese were already producing steel on a large scale and under the Gupta dynasty Indian metal workers were able to produce steel alloys extremely resistant to rust; while the maximum that Greeks, Romans and the rest of western cultures could aspire to was to produce expensive wrought iron, and in small amounts.

Last edited: