• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm thinking that you will win the war to put Anna on the throne of Croatia(Kingdom), Xavier will die making Fritz III have Erlangen back(Barony), and then Fritz III will die and all of his Counties as well as Erlangen will go to his eldest daughter, I believe that is Konstanze(Barony and County).

Etzel got the easy one -- Kingdom of Croatia. The others are still up for grabs.

Etzel's proposition sounds reasonable - too reasonable for something that we've been told should be unexpected.
Mmh. Croatia is conquered, the queen dies and her son inherits. Xavier also dies from illness or excess of knives in the back. And since I'm on a roll, Fritz dies too! from depression! The grandson takes all and swears fealty to the HRE to avoid being bullied by either empire.
I don't see you winning a crusade anytime soon, and Croatia won't be part of the HRE so you won't be able to enact revenge on the Wittelbachs. So those are the only Ducal and Royal titles that are accessible to you and we've been told there are three of different ranks that change hands.. wait.. Avindian.. you haven't been elected Emperor have you ? That would certainly make the "changes hands twice" requirement easier. If you've been elected emperor, I maintain that Xavier dies and you conquer the kingdom.

EDIT: Are you still going for Prussia at all ?
PPS: The emperor factor messes everything up! the Wittelbachs could be emperors and grant you the duchy you've been longing for! That's more likely than Fritz getting elected, as I'm pretty sure indirect vassals cannot be candidates.

I'm not eligible for Kaiser. :(

I'd love to go for Prussia, but the stupid crown authority is too high in the HRE. It'll get to Absolute in this next update.

All other guesses are wrong.

Technically, all three titles will change hands twice, since none of them are created.

Finally, let's stick to one title per guess, please.

I´m only going to guess for the pleasure of making films :D

Duke of Bavaria dies and your wife (or you, I´m not sure how that works) inherits the title. Next you or your wife die and Xavier becomes Duke. Last, he discovers that the poison his mother was given him has turned him gay (I´m sure something like this is going to happens to this guy, he has a chosen name...:sad:)
Finally, Xavier also gets the county he is claiming in the image (I do not know its name)
PD: Fourth he looks how a new Emperor is crowned (the third title that involves a Hohenzollern :laugh::laugh:)

I'll add it to the front page. :)

I completely forgot there's a fourth title as well (which varetta reminded me of), so that's part of the contest now too!

The duchies of Tyrol, Slovenia, Bosnia or Dalmatia could all reasonably change hands, I think.

To give you guys a hint:

There are two Counties and one Barony. One of the Counties is pretty far away; the others all make sense.

To give you guys a hint:

There are two Counties and one Barony. One of the Counties is pretty far away; the others all make sense.

Well in a previous screenshot your chancellor was fabricating claims In Bruges (as memorably played by F**k "Colin" Farrell in the recent movie). Therefore I submit that the County of Brugge gets hostilely taken over by Freddy, and passed onto his son.

The other two, IDK.

Well, I would guess that Xavier dies, letting the count take back the Barony of Erlangen. Then he dies, and leaves it to his next heir.

Well in a previous screenshot your chancellor was fabricating claims In Bruges (as memorably played by F**k "Colin" Farrell in the recent movie). Therefore I submit that the County of Brugge gets hostilely taken over by Freddy, and passed onto his son.

The other two, IDK.

It's not Bruges. (I think I said that in the original contest post.)

Well, I would guess that Xavier dies, letting the count take back the Barony of Erlangen. Then he dies, and leaves it to his next heir.

Nope!

It seems I may have made this one more difficult than I intended. :) I'm going to declare the contest closed and as for the actual titles earned? Well, you'll find out tonight when I update. ;)

Never fear, I'll have another contest soon. I'm going to play either tonight or tomorrow, which will give me quality material for more contests.

Chapter 15: A Hohenzollern century

24 June 1281, just outside Pressburg, Kingdom of Croatia

The stage was set for a confrontation that would win the Hohenzollerns the crown they so richly deserved.

warvscroatia.jpg

Croatia was hardly a superpower, but its annexation would mean that Xavier would be the husband of the Queen of Croatia; therefore, their children would inherit that crown as well as the Hohenzollern realms. Best of all, Friedrich III's revenue and personal levies would be sufficient to defeat Croatia. The other nobles of the realm could keep their soldiers at home in case the Herzog von Bayern decided to launch a sneak attack against them.

The plan was simple: assault the main Croatian defenses at Pressburg. The Croatian relief force was simply too small to do much against a concerted attack.

For once, the Hohenzollerns would have an easy war.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19 August 1282, Nürnberg

Udo Aleramicci, at the age of 18, had already seen a difficult life. He was an only child, yet his mother refused to let him stay at the family estate in Monferrato. Udo's intelligence and diplomatic skill were completely outweighed by his never ending lust for wealth. Set adrift by his family, Udo found a home in Nürnberg.

udothenewchancellor.jpg

The Graf needed a new Chancellor. Berengar had died and Thietmar was just barely competent; Udo was an excellent replacement. He was already given an important assignment within mere days of his arrival: negotiate the surrender of King Frigyes II of Croatia. He did exactly that, attaining not only the Royal Crown of Croatia for Anna, Xavier's wife, but the County of Pressburg as well.

xavierisking.jpg

Udo was rewarded handsomely for his service, as Friedrich III understood the importance of keeping one's courtiers happy. Even his mother seemed pleased at his apparent skill.

What role that would have for the Hohenzollerns remained to be seen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 May 1283, Schloss von Hohenzollern, Nürnberg

Friedrich III looked with some distaste as the celebrations for his birthday continued. 50 years old. I've been alive for a half century!, the Graf thought with some dismay.

friedrichis50.jpg

By all accounts, Friedrich III had accomplished much for the Hohenzollerns, yet at the same time, very little. Yes, his son was King of Croatia, but with his son's monkish attitudes towards his husbandly duties, Xavier had produced no sons, or daughters, for that matter. Meanwhile, Friedrich himself continued to produce children. His newest son was named Klaus. [1]

thisonesformrc.jpg

While Friedrich was delighted as always with a new child, there was the possibility that the squirming infant in his lap might one day rise up against his uncle. If Xavier didn't produce a proper heir, that would almost certainly come to pass. It was Friedrich's biggest concern, now that the Duchy of Bayern seemed forever out of reach. The Graf had tried to strike against Berthold II, but none of his courtiers had the courage to oppose the Wittelsbachs. Friedrich had all but abandoned hope that he'd ever achieve his grandfather's dying wish. He would keep trying, of course, but there was no guarantee he'd ever be successful.

The one joy in his life, apart from his children, was the hunt. His daughter Konstanze had shown a surprising aptitude with the arms of war, bagging a large boar her first time out. If only she were born a man, Friedrich sighed. She would be a fine heir. Xavier is virtually perfect, but without children...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 October 1285, Wien, Österreich

Anna von Hohenzollern -- no, Anna Askanien, now -- was touring the realm of her new husband. Her father accompanied her, to her great joy, along with her baby brother, Ludolf.

ludolfisborn.jpg

Other women might have resented being used as a trading chip for influence, but Anna understood how the game was played. If she were a man, she would be Chancellor of Nürnberg, and one of the most brilliant the world had ever seen.

annasuperdiplomat.jpg

Instead, Anna's life would be both more fascinating and more dull: she was the new wife of Kaiser Udo I. Her father had intended the marriage to, perhaps, raise the Kaiser's opinion of the Hohenzollerns. Without powerful allies, Friedrich III would never seize Bayern, and the Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation was as powerful a man in Europe as they came. Of course, Udo was still a child, so it was at the moment only a betrothal: it still created a formal alliance between the Kaiser and the Hohenzollerns.

Anna turned to her father, handing Ludolf back to him. "So, Father, what shall you do now?"

Friedrich III's eyes moistened slightly. "With Mother's death, I am now Baron von Hohenburg. I believe I shall keep the title for myself, at least until Klaus is old enough. I can spend our family fortune on improving its defenses, as I have the rest of my realm."

anewtitle.jpg

Anna nodded. "The new keep in Waging is very nice, Father."

Friedrich snorted. "It had better be, for 400 thalers." He handed Ludolf off to a servant, then put his arm around his daughter. "I know I should not have asked you to marry Udo. You were fond of that one Duke's boy, weren't you?"

Now it was Anna's turn to get a bit misty-eyed. "I was. However, no matter who my husband is, I will now and forever be a Hohenzollern. You need not worry. I will do my very best to convince Udo to support your claim for independence."

"Thank you, Anna. You are a good daughter."

"How is Xavier handling his new duties as King?"

Friedrich chuckled. "As well as can be expected. He's also still Baron of Erlangen, you know, and he's ever riding back and forth."

"Poor Brother."

"Anna is a good woman, though. She will watch over your brother, make no mistakes about that."

Anna smiled. "She has an excellent name."

"That she does, my dear. That she does."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 January 1288, Monferrato

Udo Aleramicci, ex-Chancellor of Nürnberg, had just a few years been the man who'd gotten Nürnberg into this war.

aninterestingclaim.jpg

That Friedrich III had eyes on Udo's patrimony was, initially, somewhat unsettling. Then again, Udo expected to be formally disinherited. Unfortunately, when his mother died, there'd been no one else, and so Udo was now Count of Monferrato, and desperately trying to hang onto his new title. The armies of Nürnberg were much larger than his, their leaders more potent. His replacement as Chancellor, Luitpold, was a Hohenzollern (a cousin to Friedrich III) and every bit as cunning as Udo. King Xavier was Marshal. The court that had adopted him as their own was now his mortal enemy, but what could he do?

Surrender meant imprisonment. Success meant a bitter nemesis for the rest of his days. The fact that his mother had declared independence from the Kaiser -- successfully, it must be said -- did not endear Udo I to him either. He was, quite literally, in a no-win situation. Yet fight he must.

Such were the realities of medieval Germany.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 December 1288, Nürnberg

While his daughter was officially being crowned as Kaiserin, his son stood at the gates of Monferrato, and his wife was looking after Klaus and Ludolf, Friedrich III found himself bored and a little depressed. A few years ago, Friedrich himself would have been leading the siege of Monferrato, but instead, he was sitting in his study and brooding. He was examining the plans for Waging's new Castle City. Waging itself had actually become his most lucrative property. His Steward was collecting taxes there, which helped a great deal, but he'd raised a mighty Barony on par with the Barony of Nürnberg.

Friedrich's greatest fear was that Anna would hate her new husband. She would do her duties, as she was a loyal daughter, but he loved all his children and simply couldn't bear the thought of any of them being unhappy. At the same time, without the Kaiser, he was doomed to servitude under the wretched Wittelsbachs. That was more terrible than anything else; even more terrible than death itself. Xavier was almost certainly going to lose the crown as King of Croatia; one of Anna's siblings was pregnant with a son, and he would inherit both the County of Pressburg and the Kingdom of Croatia. Friedrich really wanted to smack some sense into his son and heir. Chastity was a virtue for priests, not for rulers. What else could he do?

Pray. Friedrich the Crusader could only pray.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 January 1292, Nürnberg

Friedrich III couldn't help but feel some of the villagers' enthusiasm. A 100 year reign for any family was cause for celebration, especially one which had faced the challenges the Hohenzollerns had. Things would only become more difficult, as the Kaiser had issued a proclamation forbidding all war between his vassals and forbidding any titles to leave the Holy Roman Empire.

absoluteca.jpg

Friedrich could still declare independence, but if he did become Herzog von Bayern, he would have no serious opportunity to expand. Unless he became Kaiser. That was a fascinating thought: Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire. Could the Hohenzollerns dare dream so big? He already held five Counties. Imprisoning his old friend Udo made him feel a bit guilty, but what choice did he have? Udo surrendered.

countofmonferrato.jpg

In gratitude for his victory, Friedrich gave the Barony of Hohenburg to the Knights Templar. [2] Grandmaster Simon was a good man that Friedrich had become close friends with during the Crusade to Jerusalem. Simon and his men might be needed in the days to come, for not all was great in Europe.

Only Hungary stood between the Holy Roman Empire and the Mongolian hordes.

mapofeurope.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] That one's for you, Mr. Capiatlist :)
[2] In reality, I was over my demense limit. I could have made Xavier a dual Baron I suppose, but don't I get some kind of lasting benefit from helping the Knights?

So the four titles were: King of Croatia, Count of Monferrato, Count of Pressburg, and Baron of Hohenburg.

I'm sorry this update was a bit short, but I'll now have an opportunity to play again. Could a more experienced CKII player verify that I can call on the Kaiser as my ally if I declare independence?

If you declare independence from the Kaiser, I doubt you can call him into the war as an ally :)

Bwuhahahaha. I hope that my name-sake grows to take over the lands of the Hohenzollerns. But I assume poor little Klaus is low on the totem-pole.

Honestly, I'd try to get yourself a claim to a Kingdom, then call the Kaiser to help win it. Then give all your old German lands away to a "cadet" branch (i.e. younger sibling) and focus on your new lands. Then you can edit the save file or something to make the German lands go back to under the Kaiser. Probably more doable and realistic.

Sorry cap but everybody knows that fritz iii is going to die and Xavier will take over. He will then knock up Anna and bam all hail King Burkhard, First of his name King of all of Croatia, Hungary, and Kaier of the Roman Empire.

If you declare independence from the Kaiser, I doubt you can call him into the war as an ally :)

I'm declaring independence from the Duke, which would make the Kaiser's direct vassal (as it was in the beginning of the game).

That would indeed make no sense at all.
But if you could, it's surely because of Anna. :D The girl seems to have become more influential than I have thought... too bad she isn't a man.

Indeed!

Bwuhahahaha. I hope that my name-sake grows to take over the lands of the Hohenzollerns. But I assume poor little Klaus is low on the totem-pole.

Honestly, I'd try to get yourself a claim to a Kingdom, then call the Kaiser to help win it. Then give all your old German lands away to a "cadet" branch (i.e. younger sibling) and focus on your new lands. Then you can edit the save file or something to make the German lands go back to under the Kaiser. Probably more doable and realistic.

That's not a bad idea -- the trouble is finding an appropriate kingdom.

Sorry cap but everybody knows that fritz iii is going to die and Xavier will take over. He will then knock up Anna and bam all hail King Burkhard, First of his name King of all of Croatia, Hungary, and Kaier of the Roman Empire.

I suppose it's possible -- except the Kingdom of Croatia is already gone at this point :) Sorry.

Okay. Well either way I'm loving the AAR.

It's a great read and each character feels like a different person. If you don't mind me asking on here, what do you think of my new one? Any good? I know it doesn't compare to this.

Okay. Well either way I'm loving the AAR.

It's a great read and each character feels like a different person. If you don't mind me asking on here, what do you think of my new one? Any good? I know it doesn't compare to this.

Don't sell yourself short -- I actually quite enjoy your AAR! It's different than mine, but we're different people (unless I'm schizophrenic, which I don't think I am), so that's perfectly fine. :)