• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Naming contest is fine, just hope we hit the lottery and its the heir! Or, some awesome person that isn't of questionable morals.

Picky, picky. :)

Unfortunately, Eugen had his own problems.

Hmm, I'm interested. What problems would they be?

This character is a drooling imbecile.

:rofl: Too bad, Prince of Savoy!

I really liked this chapter. About 3/4th through the update I was genuinely feeling sorry for Friedrich II, when after accomplishing so much his family more or less abandons him. Let's hope he lives long enough to see the Hohenzollerns prosper again.

No Avindian, it's fine, if rather funny. I think these... Exotic characters we are getting to name is actually better than getting to name the heir or whatever. I kind of hope we get to see a little bit of adult Eugene. ;)

Hmm, I'm interested. What problems would they be?

:rofl: Too bad, Prince of Savoy!

I really liked this chapter. About 3/4th through the update I was genuinely feeling sorry for Friedrich II, when after accomplishing so much his family more or less abandons him. Let's hope he lives long enough to see the Hohenzollerns prosper again.

It honestly wasn't intentional. I promise! :)

No Avindian, it's fine, if rather funny. I think these... Exotic characters we are getting to name is actually better than getting to name the heir or whatever. I kind of hope we get to see a little bit of adult Eugene. ;)

You will, in the next update.

You can't kill that baroness, but could you marry her ? Might want a betrothal just to be safe.

She might not accept. Especially if she the last of her line, they probably want matrilineal marriage instead.

Marriage is out of the question, but I have other ways of making her give up her barony!

Chapter 10: The lost journal of Friedrich II

30 May 18xx, a bookseller, Paris, France

David Zimmerman was a British student at the Sorbonne, working on a paper for his medieval history course. He hadn't really come up with a quality topic yet, but sometimes found inspiration by simply wandering around old bookstores. He'd been through three already and was ready to give up for the day when he spotted an unusual bookstore he'd never noticed before. The sign read "Die Alte Buchhandlung." Even with David's lousy German, he knew that meant "The Old Bookstore." Finding a German bookstore in Paris was unusual, but not decidedly so. After all, hadn't German troops occupied Paris? They needed something to read too, he supposed. David's family was German, but he wasn't sure where from. There's a good topic! My family origins!, he excitedly thought, and entered.

The bored looking clerk nodded to his newest (and thus far only) customer. "Can I help you, monsieur?"

"Er, yes. Have you any books on medieval Germany? I want to see if you've got anything on my family."

The clerk raised an eyebrow; such requests were relatively rare. "Do you know which part?"

David shook his head. "My last name's Zimmerman, if that helps."

The clerk snorted derisively. "Like that's an unusual name. You'll need to give me more than that."

David's shoulders sagged. "I'm afraid I don't have anything."

"Medieval German histories are in the back. I don't have much, but you're welcome to look."

David nodded glumly and walked to the back of the store. A quick glance at titles showed nothing of interest, but he saw one very old volume with no title. He opened it and examined the title. "Der Journal von Friedrich II, Graf von Nürnberg, Passau, Salzburg, und Ulm." The publication date made him whistle. 1275?! How on earth is this book here? David knew a bargain when he saw one, and a German student owed him a favor; maybe he could translate it? The British student nonchalantly approached the clerk with his new treasure. "Found something useful, did you?"

David tried to look casual. "It's interesting. All in German, though, so I'll need to get it translated."

The clerk eyed David suspiciously for a few moments, then nodded. "Fair enough. Is there a price on it?"

"No."

"Price is 30 francs."

"Deal."

David grabbed his book and hurried out of the store to track down Ulrich. He found him at the student lounge. "Good afternoon, Ulrich!"

Ulrich smiled at his British friend. "David, it is good to see you. How are things?"

"Oh, fine. Remember when I helped you move?"

"Ach, ja. Is there something you need?"

"Can you translate this?" David pushed his book hopefully towards the young German. He frowned as Ulrich read through a couple of phrases.

"This German is old, David. Very old. Where did you get this?"

"Some old bookstore."

"You should really have a professor look at this, but I think I can help on these last few pages. Give me a couple of hours and I'll bring it to you."

David nodded and turned to his homework for his math class. Three hours later, Ulrich returned. "Here you are, David. Very interesting stuff!"

"Thanks, Ulrich. I'll see Professor de Lange tomorrow, but this will be a great start." Ulrich left and David began to read.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19 April 1249, Castle Nürnberg

It feels so wrong to be doing this so soon. I just buried my beloved Adelheid, yet for the good of the realm I must marry again. Since an alliance with Bohemia might be advantageous, Svein, my Chancellor, advised I marry Princess Pribyslava. It makes me uneasy -- I'm so old and she isn't even 16 yet -- but it must be done. I must continue.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 May 1249, Castle Nürnberg

My heir turned 16 today, a rare moment of joy.

theheirgrowsup.jpg

Fritz (it's funny how I hated that nickname as a lad, but had no problems bestowing it on my grandson) is a strong lad, adept in combat and the subtler side of war. He is brave and hardworking, but has a lust for gold that may prove his undoing. Fritz is also very angry at life, perhaps because his own countenance is so undesirable. I'm beginning to fear ugliness is a Hohenzollern trait; it hasn't affected our ability to attract mates yet, but who's to say it won't in the future?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 June 1249, Castle Nürnberg

I'm not feeling too well. The doctors say I'll be fine in a few days, but any man in his sixties must expect the Good Lord to take him when he is good and ready. I have so much left to do, but so little time left. I pray everyday that God gives me strength.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 May 1250, Castle Nürnberg

I've recovered fully from my illness, only in time to witness another tragedy.

mombitesthebigone.jpg

Mother was 80 years old, and lived a full and wonderful life. This death feels less bitter than Adelheid's did. It just felt... like it was time. Does that make sense? As much as Father was the first Graf von Nürnberg, it was Mother who really made sure the realm grew. I owe a lot to both of them.

Mother certainly wouldn't have been so eager to dispose of that annoying Baroness.

moreassassinfail.jpg

impatiencepayspoorly.jpg

I've never seen one woman show so much resilience. It would be admirable if it weren't the one woman I need to be rid of. I briefly considered marriage with the young lady, but to be honest, marrying a Baroness is beneath me, beneath the Hohenzollerns. I shall have to hire more competent help, it seems. It is difficult to do from here in Domazlice -- Herzog Ludwig has me trying to fabricate a claim for Bayern to these lands. I should be Herzog.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 November 1250, Wien

I'm still in Vienna after approving the Kaiser's latest extension of authority. If we are to resist these Mongols, should they come farther east, the Holy Roman Empire must be united!

mediumcrownlaw.jpg

Eugen came of age a few weeks ago. He is a sweet child, diligent and patient. He miraculously learned to read, something I thank God for every day.

eugengrowsup.jpg

To show my gratitude, I've appointed Eugen to succeed Bishop Martin as the Bishop of Zweifalten.

eugenbecomesabishop.jpg

Although I love all my children, I've grown more fond of Eugen in my old age; I've never seen so much determination in one lad. If I had half his strength, I'd be Kaiser by now, let alone mere Herzog von Bayern.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 September 1251, Salzburg

In one fell swoop, I solved one of my most irritating problems and strengthened my dynasty at the same time. Svein found that the Baroness of Waging had never technically come to Nürnberg to receive my blessing as her liege lord; while these grounds were thin, and some of my vassals now hate me, I was able to remove the Barony from her.

titlerevoked.jpg

I've made Emelrich the new Bishop of Salzburg; he's a fine lad, but there are those in Nürnberg who would see him claim my throne. Fritz is the better candidate, of that I've no doubt.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 February 1254, Castle Nürnberg

This scheming is difficult work, to be sure, but if I cannot seize the Duchy of Bayern myself, perhaps I can at least disrupt their unity. If I could only claim Kempten, I would have a strong enough claim to go to the Kaiser. That means Ludwig I has to die.

killingtheboss.jpg

I've asked Ordulf to accompany Emelrich on this dangerous mission, to gather support among Ludwig's closest companions. He's grown up to be a superb soldier and diplomat, a rare combination but one which should serve our family well.

ordulfsoldierdiplomat.jpg

I do think Ordulf is a bit too suspicious that somebody is out to get him or his family; curious, isn't it? He's honest and charitable, but simply doesn't trust anybody. I'm not even certain he trusts me very much. I've asked Fritz to name Ordulf Heir if something happens to me, but I do hope he overcomes this... character flaw.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17 December 1255, Salzburg

I don't understand it. Now even my grandsons return to the Lord before I do? Emelrich was only 24, and a fine Spymaster. My son Norbert will take his job, but it is probably only a matter of time before he also passes on to his reward. We've had an impossible time finding individuals willing to help us deal with Ludwig. The Kaiser's own hand is even stronger, almost to the point where I'm growing nervous.

hihghcalaw.jpg

Must I lead an outright rebellion against Ludwig before I can claim my true right as Herzog von Bayern? Do I have that many years left in me? I have a permanent army of 2000 mighty warriors, along with my personal levies and those of my allies. Yet Ludwig is not only Herzog, but Graf in as many realms as I. I must build up a sizable war chest, in case additional reserves are required. I do not think 340 thalers is enough; perhaps 500?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18 January 1257, Oberbayern

I have never been so humiliated in all my life. I send Norbert to learn about some new war engine Ludwig is developing, and what does he do? Get arrested almost immediately.

norbertarrested.jpg

I would kill for a competent Spymaster. What if Norbert had been tortured and revealed our plans for Ludwig? Fortunately, in a show of misguided mercy, Ludwig did not even demand ransom; he released Norbert only a few days later.

norbertfree.jpg

Ludwig shall not survive the year. I swear this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 October 1257, München

My new liege, Ludwig II, is a strange fellow indeed. First, he employs me as Chancellor, despite knowing what I did to his father.

thedukeisdead.jpg

stupidfarmer.jpg

Second, even more strangely, he even hires Mayor Donau to be his Spymaster -- the same Spymaster who joined our plot to kill his father!

Despite my plan's relative success, it did not succeed in its ultimate objective. There was no civil war. There was no rebellion. It was simply more of the same. I am losing any hope that a diplomatic solution, or even a relatively bloodless solution, will take the Duchy from the hated Wittelsbachs. It will require the force of arms and I... I do not know if I can do it. I simply don't have enough time. I shall spend the remaining years of my life marshaling our resources. It is the only possible way to do what must be done.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27 November 1258, Castle Nürnberg

David sees a little note attached to the translation:

Ulrich said:
David,

This last entry isn't Friedrich II's -- the handwriting is different. I think it's his grandson, who he called Fritz, but who you might know as Friedrich III. I really feel kind of sorry for Friedrich II; he tried so hard to do things simply. I admire him more than I did learning about him as a child. It's amazing how these kinds of sources give a person a character you might not otherwise glean from the history books.

Let me know if you need anything. Are we on for dinner tomorrow evening?

Ulrich

I... I am the Graf von Nürnberg, Passau, Salzburg, und Ulm. It strikes me as odd to say that, but it is true. I will begin my own journal soon, but I must finish the story of Father first. I went to his room this morning to wake him for breakfast. He did not answer. The doctors tell me he died in his sleep, peacefully. That is a welcome thought, if true.

friedrichisdeadlonglive.jpg

There is no shame, no sorrow, in a great man living to great age and dying peacefully. 70 years is a long time for any man to walk this Earth. I am comforted that he is with God now, smiling down on me, with Grandmother and Grandfather and Uncle Konrad.

Yet at the same time, Father gave me one final task. To complete his life's work, to get the Hohenzollerns the respect they deserve.

I must declare our Independence and seize the Duchy of Bayern through force of arms. I can't right away. My vassals do not trust me, but given time, they will.

They must.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That pretty much catches me up to where I stopped playing. I can certainly use some advice in winning my independence; I'm pretty sure he'll outnumber me, but I've got 409 gold to hire mercenaries if I need to. Any tips or tricks? Is there anyway to find out if he's got allies or not?

I probably won't play until after Thanksgiving (Thursday for the non-Americans), so I'm eager to hear what you folks have to say.

Last edited:
David grabbed his book and hurried out of the store to track down Ulrich. He found him at the student lounge. "Good afternoon, Ulrike!"

Ulrike smiled at her British friend. "David, it is good to see you. How are things?"

"Oh, fine. Remember when I helped you move?"

"Ach, ja. Is there something you need?"

"Can you translate this?" David pushed his book hopefully towards the young German. He frowned as she read through a couple of phrases.

I am sorry, but what? :confused: Did you on purpose change gender mid-sentence? :blink:

As for his allies, you could simply go to his character screen, and look at where his family is displayed. You should be able to change the tabs there to show allies :)

Last edited:
I love this, I tried my hand at a Hohenzollern campaign, it's hilariously funny. Somehow, the Papacy turned into an Agnatic Primogeniture system, and the von Hohenzollerns now govern it entirely. Also, The Teutonic Order rules about historical borders. They started in Finland, which is now ruled by a King Amadeus, who is German and has Germanized the entire Kingdom. o.o

Anyway, good update! :3

Do you possible have the plot to fabricate a claim on the realm? That way you won't have to fight to bring the de-jure vassals under your thumb.

Otherwise marrying a female claimant or daughter of the current holder will result in her getting a weak claim that you can use against children, regencies and realms where the main title is contested. When she's landed she will rule in her own right, but the title will pass on to your son.

A stronger method is having a female dynasty member marry a strong male claimant matrillineary (only really possible if you can invite them to your court) and then pushing his claims against anyone, then elect their heir as your successor.

Edit: I forgot to add, even with a weak claim, you can start a faction for a claimant (both you, your wife, your sons wife, anyone) to the duchy. This will also allow you to try and call in all de facto vassals.

Last edited:
All hail Friedrich II -
Long live Friedrich III!

That's the third Friedrich in a row now... Time for a new naming contest to fill the Thanksgiving gap?
I had no idea the old Sofie was still alive. She almost outlived Friedrich (2). But then again, these women in the Medieval ages were so terribly young when they married, it shouldn't have been a surprise.

I am sorry, but what? :confused: Did you on purpose change gender mid-sentence? :blink:

As for his allies, you could simply go to his character screen, and look at where his family is displayed. You should be able to change the tabs there to show allies :)

Thanks for the tip, and originally the character was supposed to be female. Then I remembered it was relatively rare for women to attend college in the nineteenth century; I thought I'd cleaned up all the references to it, but I guess not. :rolleyes:

I love this, I tried my hand at a Hohenzollern campaign, it's hilariously funny. Somehow, the Papacy turned into an Agnatic Primogeniture system, and the von Hohenzollerns now govern it entirely. Also, The Teutonic Order rules about historical borders. They started in Finland, which is now ruled by a King Amadeus, who is German and has Germanized the entire Kingdom. o.o

Anyway, good update! :3

Nice work!

Do you possible have the plot to fabricate a claim on the realm? That way you won't have to fight to bring the de-jure vassals under your thumb.

Otherwise marrying a female claimant or daughter of the current holder will result in her getting a weak claim that you can use against children, regencies and realms where the main title is contested. When she's landed she will rule in her own right, but the title will pass on to your son.

A stronger method is having a female dynasty member marry a strong male claimant matrillineary (only really possible if you can invite them to your court) and then pushing his claims against anyone, then elect their heir as your successor.

Edit: I forgot to add, even with a weak claim, you can start a faction for a claimant (both you, your wife, your sons wife, anyone) to the duchy. This will also allow you to try and call in all de facto vassals.

See, for some reason, I can't make a faction for myself. I also can't plot to take his title. Marriage might work, I suppose. I wonder if for some reason factions are bugged since this was a pre-LOR saved game?

All hail Friedrich II -
Long live Friedrich III!

That's the third Friedrich in a row now... Time for a new naming contest to fill the Thanksgiving gap?
I had no idea the old Sofie was still alive. She almost outlived Friedrich (2). But then again, these women in the Medieval ages were so terribly young when they married, it shouldn't have been a surprise.

I've already got two names in the hopper, but a new naming contest might be fun. Let's go with an easy one:

Who is Friedrich III's heir?

I don't imagine this will take long, so I'll set a deadline of tonight. Remember, if you've already won, you can't participate (for now.)

You cannot make a faction for yourself without a claim ("This duchy belongs to me because I'm related to../My parent held this title/made some BS up along with some other vassals") , which can be obtained by one of three ways:

- Marriage as mentioned will travel down a generation or two or more depending on how strong it is, and if it is ever pushed in a war.
- Fabricating a claim as a vassal by plot (there seems to be limits to when one can do this, I know that being content is one of the traits that remove this plot)
- Fabricating by a chancellor (who is more likely to make claims for counties instead)

If you do wage war for independence with the aim of usurping the title, keep in mind that you cannot do this before the 10 year truce with your former liege expires.

Another way is to marrying into another duchy - push a claimant married to your kinsman to that duchy, elect their child heir - and your held counties will pass on to that heir along with that child inheriting the duchy. Since a duke cannot be the vassal of another duke, you will retain dominance of your former counties and become independent of your former liege.

I think that Eugene is the heir. He looks as prepared as the typical politician... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You cannot make a faction for yourself without a claim ("This duchy belongs to me because I'm related to../My parent held this title/made some BS up along with some other vassals") , which can be obtained by one of three ways:

- Marriage as mentioned will travel down a generation or two or more depending on how strong it is, and if it is ever pushed in a war.
- Fabricating a claim as a vassal by plot (there seems to be limits to when one can do this, I know that being content is one of the traits that remove this plot)
- Fabricating by a chancellor (who is more likely to make claims for counties instead)

If you do wage war for independence with the aim of usurping the title, keep in mind that you cannot do this before the 10 year truce with your former liege expires.

Another way is to marrying into another duchy - push a claimant married to your kinsman to that duchy, elect their child heir - and your held counties will pass on to that heir along with that child inheriting the duchy. Since a duke cannot be the vassal of another duke, you will retain dominance of your former counties and become independent of your former liege.

That's a very sneaky idea; I like it! Thanks for clarifying how factions work -- I really wish they'd released a manual for Legacy of Rome.

Well, since you said it was going to be easy I think Ordulf is his heir.

Congratulations! Send me your two names as soon as you like.

I think that Eugene is the heir. He looks as prepared as the typical politician... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Indeed. ;)

Watch out for alliances. You killed the old man, but the son probably has brothers and sisters and one of them is probably married to somebody important.

Very true; it's what I'm most terrified of. Can I call in alliances too?