• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll join in the shamfurrity expressed by Comm Cody. I was going to congratulate you with your 4th place in the ACAs, but never mind now ;)

In the 1192 start of CK2, you lose the Barony of Zollern to another person in the Hohenzollern dynasty when Count Friedrich dies.

Right, Gavelkind. I forgot about that.

Really need to become a duke and try to shift to Primogeniture.

Congratulations for winning 4th place in the AARland Choice Awards in the CK category!

You gave Zollern to a non-Holhenzollern?

SHAMFUR DISPRAY.

I'll join in the shamfurrity expressed by Comm Cody. I was going to congratulate you with your 4th place in the ACAs, but never mind now ;)

In the 1192 start of CK2, you lose the Barony of Zollern to another person in the Hohenzollern dynasty when Count Friedrich dies.

Right, Gavelkind. I forgot about that.

Really need to become a duke and try to shift to Primogeniture.

Trust me, the Barony stays in the family, just not with me. :)

Thanks for the congratulations! I really think it's a shame that Dovahkiing's own AAR didn't win, but I'm certain it will. Seriously. It's that good.

Keep trying on the four titles! I'm going to update tomorrow or Saturday, so if you don't have it by then, too bad. :)

Thanks for the congratulations! I really think it's a shame that Dovahkiing's own AAR didn't win, but I'm certain it will. Seriously. It's that good.

Keep trying on the four titles! I'm going to update tomorrow or Saturday, so if you don't have it by then, too bad. :)
Ah well, the tides of fate are cruel to all at some point. Thanks again for the praise, we'll see about that in the next round in January!
As for the titles, I really don't know which exactly, but it's pretty obvious they'll all be Duchies.

Ah well, the tides of fate are cruel to all at some point. Thanks again for the praise, we'll see about that in the next round in January!
As for the titles, I really don't know which exactly, but it's pretty obvious they'll all be Duchies.

Counties of Ulm, Kempten, Munich and Nuremberg?

As a reminder, there is no County of Munich. :) Nobody's got it yet, but keep trying! You can guess more than once, but don't spam the thread. If nobody has "won" by the end of tomorrow, I'll change it to the first person who gets three of four.

Alright, let's take this one nice and easy, then.

I'm pretty sure you'll keep Nürnberg - You might have given it away, but if so nobody will guess it anyway.
You've already stated that you'll try to take Ulm - I think you'll get it.

You've already taken Salzburg and (if I understood correctly) gave the title to a vassal.
That leaves "two more Counties of [Salzburg], Kempten, Niederbayern, or Oberbayern."
The last two fit together quite nicely, don't they? Both are owned by the same lord, so if you'd have one I guess you'd take the other too.
So, I'll go for Nürnberg, Ulm, Niederbayern and Oberbayern.

Alright, let's take this one nice and easy, then.

I'm pretty sure you'll keep Nürnberg - You might have given it away, but if so nobody will guess it anyway.
You've already stated that you'll try to take Ulm - I think you'll get it.

You've already taken Salzburg and (if I understood correctly) gave the title to a vassal.
That leaves "two more Counties of [Salzburg], Kempten, Niederbayern, or Oberbayern."
The last two fit together quite nicely, don't they? Both are owned by the same lord, so if you'd have one I guess you'd take the other too.
So, I'll go for Nürnberg, Ulm, Niederbayern and Oberbayern.

Your logic is inescapable.

It's also wrong. ;)

Keep trying!

Ill take a shot as well: Nürnberg, Ulm, Passau and Kempten

Ill take a shot as well: Nürnberg, Ulm, Passau and Kempten

Since you've gotten three out of the four, and since I'd like to update again before the end of the time, I'm going to declare you the second winner! (The fourth was Salzburg, instead of Kempten.)

Send me male/female names at your convenience; I might not update until next week anyway.

Sent the names, at the same time looking forward to the next update. :)

Sent the names, at the same time looking forward to the next update. :)

Received. I edited the screenshots last night, so I plan on updating tonight.

EDIT: Sorry, it'll have to be tomorrow. Too late to do it tonight. :(

Last edited:
Chapter 6: The power of self-improvement

Author's note: I've upgraded to 1.07 and purchased Legacy of Rome; if something isn't clear, please let me know.

16 February 1222, the training fields of Nürnberg

Ludolf was an unlikely hero, to say the least.

ludolfthecommander.jpg

He grew up in a tiny village near München; his father was a peasant, and exceptionally poor even for that social status. At the age of 12 -- he was big for his age -- he joined a mercenary company; four years later, he was second-in-command. He would have been a fine Captain, but a chance meeting with one Friedrich von Hohenzollern changed that. When Fritz was a lad, he met Ludolf in a gaming hall. Since the future Graf von Nürnberg couldn't very well be seen in a house of ill-repute, he always traveled in disguise. On occasion, therefore, he'd be accosted by locals. Ludolf was drinking that month's pay when he saw Fritz attacked by a ruffian and his friends; thinking quickly, Ludolf tripped one of them and then joined the fray. Without Ludolf, Fritz might have died; with Ludolf, it was no contest. After nursing their wounds, Ludolf and Fritz shared their life stories, and Fritz offered Ludolf a post as the Captain of the Zollern Guard, which the now ex-mercenary accepted. When Fritz became Friedrich II, Ludolf went along as well as the Captain of the Nürnberg Guard. Still, Ludolf wanted more challenges in his life, and he got them when Friedrich II offered him a new post.

retinue1.jpg

He was to lead 500 of the finest cavalry in Passau or Nürnberg into battle. Ludolf instantly became one of the most feared commanders in the entire Holy Roman Empire, certainly in Bayern. With his new retinue well led, Friedrich II could focus his time on improving his stewardship, when he wasn't spending time with his sick wife.

fritzeswife.jpg

Gunhilda was even more hopeless with money than her husband, and coupled with that an almost insatiable lust for wealth. Friedrich had married her as a lad, despite his father's wishes, and already regretted the decision. She was 40 years old, her father a mere baker, and incredibly severe. That didn't even compare to the horrible rumors Friedrich had heard about her... visits to the dungeon.

Friedrich had to do something to keep his line strong and produce more children, but what?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24 August 1222, Castle Nürnberg

Friedrich II looked upon his heir with a mixture of pride and respect. Friedrich von Hohenzollern, the heir to the throne, exhibited none of his mother's personality quirks. In fact, he was a kind and gentle soul, always willing to give to charity, yet an exemplary soldier. Many in the county thought of him very kindly. Some of the less charitable often joked that "the family hair had passed from father to son" as Friedrich II was now completely bald, whereas his son had a luxurious beard.

theheirtothethrone.jpg

He was betrothed to Countess Maria of Lüneburg, in the hopes that their children might some day inherit the county. The heir was often called "Captain von Hohenzollern" and his military skill was widely respected. To further increase the power of his army, Friedrich II appointed his friend Ludolf as Marshal, instructing him to further train Captain Friedrich in all things military.

The Graf had his own concerns, personally imposing a hefty fine on the so-called "Band 'o Brothers." He continued to be praised for his sense of justice and decency, even by Herzog Ludwig.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24 March 1223, The "Bottomless Tankard", outside Nürnberg

In his never-ending quest to become a better Graf for his subjects, Friedrich II decided to devote some time and funds to a worthy cause: an abandoned little inn not far from the Castle Nürnberg.

thestoryofaninn.jpg

50 thalers was a reasonable sum, he felt, particularly since he'd already devoted 400 thalers to expanding the keep. The new keep would have thicker walls and quarters for more soldiers, and he was employing only local workers in its construction. He'd earned an opportunity to take a gamble and show he'd taken the lessons from his Steward to heart. He immediately named his new inn the "Bottomless Tankard."

innpart2.jpg

When discussing the fare for his little inn, Friedrich II insisted every turnip be covered in salt, as that was his own favorite style. The bartender he employed also hinted that sales of ale and mead would be much higher, but for Friedrich, it was all about his own personal tastes.

innpart3.jpg

The entertainment was a hotly debated topic. Friedrich II was a man of extraordinarily simple tastes, and had spent enough time in taverns to know that nobody would like a clergyman or singer. It came down to the ass or the bard, and Friedrich II just couldn't resist the possibility of an actual speaking ass.

innpart4.jpg

To say that Friedrich's choices were not inspired is something of an understatement.

innfail.jpg

Nevertheless, the "Bottomless Tankard", simply by being owned by Friedrich II, became quite the attractive property, and was turned over at a bit of a profit. The Graf's insistence that they keep the ass, just on the off chance he was having a bad night, was not met with much enthusiasm.

innissold.jpg

Still, Friedrich had gained some valuable knowledge, and decided to turn his attention to working with his Marshal, that he might do better in the next tournament.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24 September 1223, Rome

Friedrich II had mistrusted his wife for some time, but the last straw was her incredibly brutal proclivities to impale Friedrich's prisoners, whether their crimes were big or small. His first instinct was to have her removed from this earth. He knew he'd have supporters around the county, whether it was the loyal soldier Gottfried (whom Friedrich had given permission to duel a rival) or his Steward Folkhard (who'd just proven his loyalty with a very nice tithe -- 40 thalers!). However, there just wasn't anybody in a position to properly aid him, and despite her lust for gore and blood (or perhaps because of it), nobody really disliked her. Out of ideas, Friedrich turned to his Court Chaplain, Michael, who'd returned from a mission to Pope Marinus I. The Pope was impressed with Friedrich's piety and offered to grant him a divorce, provided he made a pilgrimage to Rome. Friedrich happily did exactly that, having wanted to visit the Vatican for some time.

divorcingtheimpaler.jpg

Free from his wife -- nobody knew where she disappeared to, and Friedrich didn't care -- he immediately arranged a betrothal with the 14 year old heir to the County of Kleve, Adelheid. With only one son, Friedrich II knew he needed to extend his bloodline, and planned to do exactly that when the girl was old enough to marry.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 July 1224, Ulm

Friedrich II slammed his fist into the table in frustration. The war with Graf von Ulm was supposed to prove the potency of the Hohenzollern claim to the Duchy of Bayern; instead, it only showed how foolish Friedrich could be.

His first mistake was in beginning the war. Otto was not merely Graf von Ulm; he was also Graf von Kempten. Friedrich was out on a grand hunt at the time, and had given very vague orders to Chancellor Engelbrecht. Thus, when the war began, the Nürnberger troops were completely out of position, and when Marshal Ludolf ordered the attack on Kempten, he was caught alone without the other armies of Nürnberg. The other armies arrived, but very slowly.

ulmfailcaughtoffguard.jpg

As a result, while Ludolf and his men fought bravely, their piecemeal reinforcements simply could not match the single unified command of Ulm. At the battle of Donauwörth, not only were nearly two-thirds of all Nürnberg's soldiers killed or captured, but Ludolf himself was slain. Gottfried von Naumburg was appointed Marshal in his place, but the Nürnberg Guard was without a qualified commander. As if the battle itself were not damaging enough, Graf Otto called upon his cousin, the Graf von Krain, giving him three times as many soldiers as Nürnberg. After another defeat at Zweifalten, Chancellor Engelbrecht's heart gave out. At 64, the doctors claimed the death was caused by old age, but Friedrich suspect that his loyal courtier had not been eating ever since the war began. Depression seemed a more likely candidate than simple old age. Nevertheless, Friedrich II needed a loyal and trustworthy Chancellor to take Engelbrecht's place -- he found no better candidate than his heir and oldest son. The new Chancellor Friedrich immediately departed for Salzburg to correct his father's mistake there.

salzburgclaims.jpg

A few days later, with no army to speak of, Friedrich II was forced to sue for peace.

lossatulm.jpg

Yet as he signed the peace treaty, a fire burned within the Graf von Nürnberg und Passau; a fire that would immolate Otto, Graf von Kempten und Ulm, if Friedrich II had his way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should update again this weekend; maybe sooner, although I do have some things to work on this week. For now, enjoy!

Friedrich von Hohenzollern, the heir to the throne

The names are truly original.... This is the 3rd Friedrich von Hohenzollern, isn't it? It's a shame no children were born, now we'll have to wait one more update for the prize names.

Some of the less charitable often joked that "the family hair had passed from father to son" as Friedrich II was now completely bald, whereas his son had a luxurious beard.

(...)

The entertainment was a hotly debated topic. Friedrich II was a man of extraordinarily simple tastes, and had spent enough time in taverns to know that nobody would like a clergyman or singer. It came down to the ass or the bard, and Friedrich II just couldn't resist the possibility of an actual speaking ass.

Ahahaha.... Love these little jokes. I'm going to assume an "ass" is also an animal, though. My English is not good enough to be sure ;).

Ahahaha.... Love these little jokes. I'm going to assume an "ass" is also an animal, though. My English is not good enough to be sure ;).

Yeah, it is the same as a donkey!

The names are truly original.... This is the 3rd Friedrich von Hohenzollern, isn't it? It's a shame no children were born, now we'll have to wait one more update for the prize names.

Yeah, it is the same as a donkey!

Exactly right.

Gen. Marshall, it's another name for a donkey.

I've never seen that inn event before, that's pretty cool!

It's a new one with 1.07.

It happens when you have the ambition to improve stewardship. (You can do this for any skill <8)

Indeed you can!