• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Such a shame about Konrad. His mother will be sorely disappointed; his death ruined her carefully wrought plans.

Beautiful story, I'll follow.

1.07 shouldn't screw anything up, and since LoR deals mostly with the Byzzies, I don't think it'll affect you unless you decide to become the ERE. XD

Only thing that may prove problematic is (if you are not on 1.07) the faction system or the Patriarch system for the Orthodoxes. Your fellow vassals may act weirdly as a result of the faction system.

And oh, if you get 1.07, depressed characters actually do get to commit suicide. >.> So that would have been appropriate if you waited for LoR. :p

Good stuff to know; I've heard people complaining a time or two, but mostly people with huge Empires, a problem I do not currently have, for better or worse.

Such a shame about Konrad. His mother will be sorely disappointed; his death ruined her carefully wrought plans.

Beautiful story, I'll follow.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Chapter 5: The patrimony expands

Note: I've combined the original chapter 5 and chapter 6 into a new mega-chapter 5, which means that I'll have to play before I can update again. I think this pattern works; playing 25 years at a time gives me enough story to foreshadow but not so much that I get bored.

25 February 1210, Castle Nürnberg

Friedrich II, Graf von Nürnberg and Baron von Zollern, had expected to eventually become the head of the Hohenzollerns, but not like that. His brother's suicide was still very difficult to deal with, particularly since nobody could ever know exactly how he'd died. Friedrich's wife, Gunhilda, did her best to console her husband, and raising their son Friedrich (now, of course, named Fritz) took some of his mind off of the family tragedy, but not all of it.

fritzisthewnewcount.jpg

Friedrich II, despite his earlier childhood fascination with war, had become even more of a scholar than his elder brother. His gift for languages and diplomacy caused many to proclaim him a Charismatic Negotiator, a trait that would prove very useful for Nürnberg in the years to come. He was supremely confident, imbued with the patience of a saint and the humility of Job, content with the world as it was. However, there was a powerful urge within him, something he'd spent most of his life fighting. In his younger years in Zollern, Friedrich II had frequented gaming halls, not for the money, but for the sheer chaos in it. He reveled in all games of chance, whether he won or lost, and that imp of the perverse occasionally affected his decisions when ruling. He tried not to be cruel about it, but he had a very difficult time containing this horrible vice. Once, in Zollern, he forced all of his servants to dress in ridiculous bright red garb because it amused him.

What this habit might mean for the people of Nürnberg, he couldn't say.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 February 1213, München, Bayern

Friedrich II leaned back in his chair, completely stuffed. As always, Herzog Ludwig II's meal was exquisite. Although the actual feast had finished a week ago, he and Ludwig had returned from Wien a day ago to vote on the newest extension of authority for the Kaiser.

crownlawchange.jpg

For Nürnberg, this decision meant that Friedrich was no longer obligated to lead troops into battle, but could rely upon his Marshal to do so. He would not, hopefully, fall into the same traps Konrad had, should war come. The Graf von Nürnberg preferred to extend his realm through peaceful means, but if that were not possible, war would be the only alternative.

Konrad's passing remained painful, but the past three years had been very peaceful and bountiful for the Hohenzollerns. His sister Elizabeth had married Aymar the Just, King of France, in a beautiful ceremony in Paris in 1211. His son was old enough to be educated, but Friedrich wanted young Fritz to be educated closer to home, hiring a courtier named Karlotte to tutor him. His son also had a new baby sister, with the birth of Gertrude on 18 December 1212.

gertrudej.jpg

Friedrich felt a little better about the Hohenzollerns, but knew that two heirs would probably not suffice to ensure his realm continued. Gunhilda would just have to perform her womanly duties more frequently.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 April 1214, Castle Nürnberg

Friedrich held his third child, another daughter, in his arms and beamed. This girl, named Sofie after her mother, was already beautiful, at least to him.

anotherdaughter.jpg

His wife had become pregnant shortly before he left for the Grand Hunt.

grandhunt.jpg

While he knew it was his duty to stay, something else pulled him away. After all, the thaler showed his father's head, not the seal of Nürnberg. It must be God's will, right? To the Hohenzollerns, the only thing more manly than impregnating a woman was killing something, and Friedrich felt himself overcome by blood lust. The young Graf killed a large bear and a boar by himself, with no help from his servants.

killingabear.jpg

boarissoscrewed.jpg

All in all, his prowess in combat was increased significantly, and some of the tarnished reputation of the Hohenzollerns was polished away. He'd heard rumors that a Grand Tournament was being called by the Kaiser. Perhaps that could be a way to prove himself?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27 December 1214, Wien, Österreich

When rumors spread that the Kaiser was planning to hold a Grand Tournament to celebrate his win over the rebellious peasants of Bamberg (a victory in which the armies of Nürnberg played a pivotal role), Friedrich II knew that he had to participate. He spent hours each day training with the Marshal and the Captain of the Guard. Although the joust was the most prestigious of events at the tournament, Friedrich's poor horsemanship virtually guaranteed a defeat. Instead, Friedrich chose to emphasize his own strengths -- a large frame and tremendous reach -- in the fencing competition. When the call for the tournament came, he eagerly answered.

grandtourneyforfritz.jpg

Friedrich's opponent was Berthold, Graf von Passau. Berthold was an old man, with a long droopy mustache, and couldn't even walk without the assistance of a walking stick. Friedrich smirked. This should be easy!

Within three seconds, Berthold had scored three points while Friedrich's guard was down. Although the Graf von Nürnberg fought to reclaim the lead, the initial flurry was so demoralizing that Friedrich von Hohenzollern was defeated handily, and by the widest margin in the entire tournament.

fritzysucksattourneys.jpg

Outwardly, Friedrich showed the humility he'd learned from his father.

Inwardly, he seethed, and prepared for revenge.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 October 1215, the archives at Passau

Engelbrecht, Mayor of Fürth and Chancellor of Nürnberg, might be getting long of beard and of tooth, but was still one of the best diplomats in the Holy Roman Empire. Finally, he had a liege who appreciated that. Sometimes his beloved Graf could show a temper, as he did when he fired the Captain of the Guard and two-thirds of the castle servants over his loss, but Friedrich II did not hold grudges against his own people.

Against others? Well, that was different.

Engelbrecht thought that Friedrich's passion for vengeance would be slaked with the birth of his second son, Norbert.

norbert.jpg

The Chancellor's primary goal after Norbert's birth was finding a suitable husband for Wulfhilde, who'd come of age in September. Fernando, Prince of Navarra, was a handsome and dashing young rogue, not to mention second in the line of succession for the County of Salamanca. Even better, Fernando agreed to a matrilineal marriage, ensuring that the Hohenzollern line would continue even if something were to happen to young Fritz or Norbert.

Two hours after seeing his daughter happily married, Friedrich II turned to the Chancellor and muttered, "Passau. Now."

That was why Engelbrecht had spent the last month in Passau. With a little bit of gold collected from a Church tithe, the Chancellor bribed an assistant archivist to "discover" the will of family friend Dietpold, who'd conveniently left his County to the Hohenzollerns after his death.

passauclaim.jpg

Friedrich would have his revenge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 August 1217, Passau

Friedrich II -- called by some Friedrich the Brave, for while he did not lead the armies into battle, he nonetheless fought as his blood demanded -- was victorious where his father and brother had not been. It was not easy, but Burchard had won many impressive victories. Berthold had tried to distract Friedrich by calling for unity against some sort of Khan in the East, but the Graf von Nürnberg simply laughed. Who cared about these Mongols? They were in Rus', let the Rurikovichi deal with them.

sweetvictory.jpg

Now Graf von Nürnberg und Passau, his thoughts turned back to his family. His second daughter, Gertrude, had proven to be especially diligent in her studies. Friedrich's children were growing up, and he himself had attained a level of maturity that his brother had not. Perhaps if Konrad had won at Kempten, he would still be alive today. Friedrich's eyes moistened for a few moments, but he wiped them and turned to his former rival, Berthold von Passau. With dignity, he accepted the instruments of surrender, but privately wanted to run the cur through himself.

Nobody makes a fool of the Hohenzollerns, thought Friedrich II. Nobody.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 June 1221, Salzburg

Full of glory and vigor, Friedrich felt powerful enough to do what his father had always planned to do but had never succeeded; become Herzog von Bayern. To do that, he would need at least two more Counties of Salzburg, Kempten, Niederbayern, or Oberbayern. Since the latter two belonged to Ludwig II, Friedrich first set his sights on Salzburg.

salzburgclaim.jpg

In 1219, he declared war, again leaving his troops in the hands of Burchard. He remained at home, encouraging his children -- Sofie following her older sister's lead in becoming more diligent -- while discovering in himself a passion for justice after sorting out a curious matter with a bishop.

fritzisjust.jpg

Even more impressively, Friedrich's victory in Passau had convinced Ludwig II to make him Marshal of Bayern.

frtizismarshal.jpg

Armed with the blessing of his liege lord, Friedrich had no problem overrunning the Prince-Bishop's pitiful armies.

gotsalzburg.jpg

The Hohenzollerns were unstoppable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
31 January 1222, München, Bayern

Friedrich II sat quietly after the feast was finished. He looked at Norbert playing with his governess, Karlotte, who was his tutor as well. He'd amassed considerable wealth, since he needed no mercenaries to defeat Passau or Salzburg, and knew he should be happy.

wealthamassed.jpg

He wasn't. For one, he was no longer Prince-Bishop of Salzburg, as Herzog Ludwig II had forced him to surrender the title to a Bishop. Friedrich didn't know whether or not the Herzog had figured out his plan or not, but in any case, he was back where he started. He still needed two more counties to seize the title of Herzog von Bayern. The Bishop of Schaumberg was a good man, one of Friedrich's new vassals from Passau, and he knew that Bishop Kuno would be an able administrator. He also needed a new Court Chaplain; Michael, the Mayor of Ortenburg, was an idiot, yet no new candidates proposed themselves.

thecourt1222.jpg

He was full of doubt about his legacy, too. By the ancient customs of Germanic law, his lands would be split between his two sons. While Friedrich was still young, he had no way of knowing if he'd be able to capture the title he most coveted before he passed on. That troubled him. He shook his head to clear his thoughts, as Ludwig was proposing a toast. Friedrich drank the wine.

His eyes never left the Herzog von Bayern.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all we've got for now. I'll need to play before I can update, but I thought it would be fun to have another contest before I do! I also have two other questions, but the only prize for those is enlightening your authAAR. :)

The contest question:

Which county is my next target?

The other questions:

1. Should I have kept the Prince-Bishopric of Salzburg? I know there's a penalty to opinion (which worries me) as well as income (which doesn't). Who would the opinion penalty apply to?
2. Is the current Prince-Bishop of Salzburg still technically my vassal, as Bishop of Schaumberg, or my equal?

Kempten

About the other two questions:
1. I am of the opinion that yes, because at this moment you only have one county so a second county would give you the strength you need for getting another more and claim for Bayern.
2. I am not very experienced in the mechanic of the game, but by what I know of programming and real life heraldry, he cannot be you vassal given that he is from the same tier than you so the computer understand that you cannot be his liege. But I am not sure about this.

1: You should have kept Salzburg. You could have revoked the existing or built another Barony there, which would automatically make that Barony capital of the province.
2: He is no longer your vassal because, as said, he is on the same tier as you.You need the duchy to have counties as vassals, else you have to own all counties yourself.

I'm going to say your next target is Niederbayern, if only because you'll probably want to get either that or Oberbayern and it looks better having both :p

Looks like you're having O.K. luck with those claim fabrications. 14-skill Chancellor? Nice if you can get it ;)

I think you are probablly going after Kampten, as it is not owned by the emperor.

2. I believe that he is an equal to you and he stole the control of Shaumberg so it is under his control even though it lies inside your demesne.

Alright - Another prize question!

My first guess was Kempten, but since that's already guessed twice, I'll be bold. I say you're going for Salzburg again. No idea if it's even possible, but it's worth the try ;). Oh, one thing about the count. I am amazed at how ugly he is... up to the point where I'm hoping he dies soon...

Kempten

About the other two questions:
1. I am of the opinion that yes, because at this moment you only have one county so a second county would give you the strength you need for getting another more and claim for Bayern.
2. I am not very experienced in the mechanic of the game, but by what I know of programming and real life heraldry, he cannot be you vassal given that he is from the same tier than you so the computer understand that you cannot be his liege. But I am not sure about this.

1: You should have kept Salzburg. You could have revoked the existing or built another Barony there, which would automatically make that Barony capital of the province.
2: He is no longer your vassal because, as said, he is on the same tier as you.You need the duchy to have counties as vassals, else you have to own all counties yourself.

Thanks for the answers, folks; that makes a lot of sense! I really hadn't thought of building a new holding.

I'm going to say your next target is Niederbayern, if only because you'll probably want to get either that or Oberbayern and it looks better having both :p

Looks like you're having O.K. luck with those claim fabrications. 14-skill Chancellor? Nice if you can get it ;)

I think you are probablly going after Kampten, as it is not owned by the emperor.

Ulm. Your Chancellor is fabricating a claim there.

XD

The only one to guess it right! Congratulations!

2. I believe that he is an equal to you and he stole the control of Shaumberg so it is under his control even though it lies inside your demesne.

Alright - Another prize question!

My first guess was Kempten, but since that's already guessed twice, I'll be bold. I say you're going for Salzburg again. No idea if it's even possible, but it's worth the try ;). Oh, one thing about the count. I am amazed at how ugly he is... up to the point where I'm hoping he dies soon...

Nice tries, everybody, but the winner is Prince of Savoy. I wondered who would be the first to spot the screenshot.

It is the Council screenshot... Fool of me! :confused:

*Does the happy dance.*

Do I win the chance to name the next child? Or is it a different prize this time?