• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's your long term plan, if you do not want to be emperor, Independence or continued vassalage?

Being in the HRE, or just in general the vassal of anyone, tends to get quite restrictive and unfulfilling in my experience. Besides as long as you're not occitan or Italian (and thus not part of de jure HRE so you cant be elected or even vote) you will almost unavoidably be elected at some point.

You cannot destroy your primary title, and your highest tier title is always your primary title (unless you've got two empire titles, in which case the HRE will simply merge with the other title).

Pissing your vassals off royally is just as likely to spark revolts to overthrow you, as it is to spark revolutions for independence. You could help things along by creating and handing out kingdom titles and then *encouraging* them to revolt one by one.

What's your long term plan, if you do not want to be emperor, Independence or continued vassalage?

Being in the HRE, or just in general the vassal of anyone, tends to get quite restrictive and unfulfilling in my experience. Besides as long as you're not occitan or Italian (and thus not part of de jure HRE so you cant be elected or even vote) you will almost unavoidably be elected at some point.

Prehaps when/if you are elected Emperor, you could destory/disband the HRE? That could make for intresting gameplay

You cannot destroy your primary title, and your highest tier title is always your primary title (unless you've got two empire titles, in which case the HRE will simply merge with the other title).

Pissing your vassals off royally is just as likely to spark revolts to overthrow you, as it is to spark revolutions for independence. You could help things along by creating and handing out kingdom titles and then *encouraging* them to revolt one by one.

If become powerful enough, I might go for independence; if I get elected Emperor, I'll just deal with that as I can. I'd kind of like to see the HRE make it into EU3, I'm just concerned about managing the Imperial crown, if I get it.

Long time lurker here of your Roman AAR (way back to EU3 Tuscany!). Subscribed.

Glad to have you and receive your first post!

Still no first update? C'mon Avindian, I can't wait forever! :)

Patience, my friend. I promise this -- if I finish grading my exams tomorrow, which I well might, I will update this weekend. Even if I don't, I'll still probably update this weekend. ;)

Ah, I thank you, because I did not realise that you cannot destroy your primary title. Twas just an idea :) Ofc if it had worked then he would have reverted back to his dukedom so the other pissed off vassals wouldn't be his vassals. Alas, my idea is in vain :p

If become powerful enough, I might go for independence; if I get elected Emperor, I'll just deal with that as I can. I'd kind of like to see the HRE make it into EU3, I'm just concerned about managing the Imperial crown, if I get it.
(...)

Do you plan on gaining independence straight away or do you plan on gaining a Royal Crown first? And depending on what type of game, vanilla or mod, do you have any preferences? :)

thank you, I am quite proud to be setting a trend:) this reminds me of Wiz's AAR too... that one and the legendary KoJ LP inspired me.

I'd study Wiz's campaign in more detail if I understood three of the four games he uses. ;)

Ah, I thank you, because I did not realise that you cannot destroy your primary title. Twas just an idea :) Ofc if it had worked then he would have reverted back to his dukedom so the other pissed off vassals wouldn't be his vassals. Alas, my idea is in vain :p

No worries!

Do you plan on gaining independence straight away or do you plan on gaining a Royal Crown first? And depending on what type of game, vanilla or mod, do you have any preferences? :)

The HRE does offer a certain amount of protection. I would say, until I'm a Duke, I won't even begin to consider independence. I'll be playing with vanilla; I don't touch mods for games I don't know extremely well.

You've all been extremely patient, and I want to tell you that your wait is (nearly) at an end! I should have the Prologue up tomorrow or Saturday evening, with our first proper Chapter to come early next week. It may take me a while to work out exactly how I'm going to write this AAR. First person narrative works extremely well for CK2, and I think I will do the same. I'm leaning towards shorter updates than fans of NRI may be used to, but until I actually sit down and start writing, I don't know where exactly I'll end up. I've only played until 1228, but I have that thirty years (or so) divided into about six chapters. We'll just have to see.

Prologue: Defender of the Empire?

My name, as I am certain you all know, is Friedrich von Hohenzollern, Baron of Zollern and Graf von Nürnberg. Feast upon my lands!

My family have held Zollern for generations, and have toiled to see that the Empire grows strong. We have been loyal vassals to the Hohenstaufens, and I count the Kaiser as one of my closest friends. It therefore comes as no surprise that I was named Graf von Nürnberg late last year.

I do not recall the precise date of my birth -- who, indeed, does? -- but I knew, even as a boy, that I wanted to be a soldier in the Kaiser's armies. As the oldest son of the Hohenzollerns, my father was somewhat reluctant to grant me my wish, but in time, he realized how brave I had become and eager I was to prove myself a man. When I am not in battle or improving my skills, I rely upon the word of God to guide me. I work at being a better soldier and a better Christian every day. Without constant improvement, my enemies may strike at me. My soldier's instincts will protect me, I am certain, but I worry for my young sons. I have already lived a good and long life, and I know the Lord will likely call me back into His arms soon.

This is Sofie von Raabs, my young wife. Although she is very beautiful, I do not entirely trust her. There are rumors that she, the only daughter of the last Graf von Nürnberg, was not pleased with marrying an old man such as myself. Even darker rumors suggest a... proficiency with things women ought not be proficient in. I cannot help but suspect that she intends to hasten my departure from this world in order to gain authority through my sons. It is a constant worry, but I must endure. I do not believe she would act against me herself, but she has a way with words and would join others to defy me.

Here is my family. I have two strong, strapping boys, Konrad and Fritz, as I call him. My daughter Elizabeth shall surely bring a fine husband into our family and raise many children. I am about as blessed as any man has a right to be.

My rule is tough but firm. Prior to my attaining this exalted status, the nobility in Nürnberg enjoyed exemption from taxes. That shall not last long; a man who cannot contribute to the defense and glory of his realm is a man I do not wish to know.

My people are industrious, as you can see.

I am well pleased with my armies. I can call upon nearly 3000 loyal soldiers from my own lands in Zollern and Nürnberg; my vassals, particularly the Baron of Hohenburg, command sizable forces of their own.

My fondest wish, if God saw fit to grant me such a boon, would be to become the Kaiser's shining knight, the leader of his forces. I know I am not worthy, but if I were selected to this prestigious office, I would do my best to prove my valor and bravery in battle.

Here is my court. I have done my best to place my vassals in positions of power, where I can keep an eye on them. The other two positions in my court are filled by my cousins, Friedrich and Burchard.

As I look upon the winter snow, I dream of the glory I shall surely bring my Kaiser and, perhaps, my family. Who knows where the Hohenzollerns could be in another generation or two?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't investigate my court for traits as closely as I probably should have; they will likely be a small part of the story for the time being.

I hope you've enjoyed this small taste of what's to come! As I've mentioned, I'm not the very best CKII player, and welcome any advice. In particular, I'd love to know exactly how techs work. I just cannot figure that out for some reason. Also, if somebody knows how to get my Marshal to lead my forces, that would also be welcome. (That'll be a problem later, but not now.)

Looks like Popcorn will indeed be needed for this one... :)

You will want a better council fast. Particularly having a very good chancellor (20+ preferably) will really help fabricating claims.

One way to get this is to open the person finder and looking at the people in your realm sorted by diplomacy. Non-landed courtiers who hate their lieges or have claims are very likely to say yes to an invitation. If the person is one (-) from wanting to join you, they can almost always be bribed enough to change their mind, it is an investment you will not regret. You can also look up other counties and click their banner, then claimants, to look up potential councilmen to add to your courtiers.

Never, EVER, make someone who hates you (such as your wife) your spymaster.

Gravelkind is evil. Elective or primogeniture are much more potent to avoid splitting up your lands.

Last edited:
What is the actual year?

Also, if you want your marshal to lead your forces, he cannot be assigned any tasks.

Looks like Popcorn will indeed be needed for this one... :)

I hope so!

You will want a better council fast. Particularly having a very good chancellor (20+ preferably) will really help fabricating claims.

One way to get this is to open the person finder and looking at the people in your realm sorted by diplomacy. Non-landed courtiers who hate their lieges or have claims are very likely to say yes to an invitation. If the person is one (-) from wanting to join you, they can almost always be bribed enough to change their mind, it is an investment you will not regret. You can also look up other counties and click their banner, then claimants, to look up potential councilmen to add to your courtiers.

Never, EVER, make someone who hates you (such as your wife) your spymaster.

Gravelkind is evil. Elective or primogeniture are much more potent to avoid splitting up your lands.

I am not a fan of gavelkind either. I should caution that I've already played a bit past this, so advice based on this update won't be terribly helpful. :)

What is the actual year?

Also, if you want your marshal to lead your forces, he cannot be assigned any tasks.

It's 1/1/1192.

I know that much, but even with an idle Marshal, I can't get him to lead my armies, particularly over a king that stinks (not this one.)

You know, Gavelkind isn't actually so bad if you're large and rich. Just build a new Temple holding for every extra son and it acts like Primo eith extra demesne spaces. ;)

This is looking great so far, incidentally. Can't wait to see more. :)