• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ja, Herzogin ist richtig, mein Herr ;).

Wow, that's really been a twist in the story! I am curious about the world map - HRE/ERE?!

For once Google translate is right :)
very good aar btw. been reading it for quite some time now. helps to get over boring days at work :D

Glad you're enjoying it!

Ja, Herzogin ist richtig, mein Herr ;).

Wow, that's really been a twist in the story! I am curious about the world map - HRE/ERE?!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't last -- I did put out the dude's eye, after all. :D

Well it's certainly getting exciting near the end. Like everyone else, I'm curious to see the world map when you swap over to EUIII.

Well it's certainly getting exciting near the end. Like everyone else, I'm curious to see the world map when you swap over to EUIII.

It should definitely be different. :)

Epilogue: The woes of a bishop

4 October 1399, Schloss von Hohenzollern

Friedrich, the Bishop of Zweifalten, regent for Barbara I von Hohenzollern, Königin von Bayern, stared sadly at the court portrait that had been commissioned in his honor.

thenewregent.jpg

Although the Bishop was one of the most honorable men in the realm, he couldn't help but worry himself about the family he served. The Hohenzollerns had been "persons of relevance" for more than 200 years. He gazed up at the family crest -- Pro deo et familia -- with both reverence and shame. The Hohenzollerns, ever since the death of Reinhard II (privately called Reinhard the Bloody by some of the less scrupulous court historians), were less respected than objects of some concern. Once they had been the lions of Nürnberg; now, they were treated as rabid dogs everywhere they went. Barbara's own court hated her, both for being a woman and being foreigner. Her own regent wasn't terribly fond of her either.

everybodyhatesher.jpg

Not one noble offered to ransom her from Kaiser Lothar IV; that was Friedrich's job, and one that consumed much of the personal finances of the Bavarian realm.

barbaralockedup.jpg

barbaraisfree.jpg

Yes, the Hohenzollerns had a crown; they were the only Kings in the entire Holy Roman Empire. But at what cost was that crown attained? Nobody trusted anybody else in the Bavarian court. Assassinations were so commonplace that the more brazen assassins advertised their services on street corners. Reinhard II had betrayed the Kaiser; perhaps if he'd won, history would see him more kindly, but he didn't. As he gazed at the child Queen Barbara, he wondered what sort of fate the Hohenzollerns would have in the 15th century.

A dark note, but it can't all be sunshine and flowers, can it? Here are some extra screenshots, offered for your enjoyment without my commentary.

endingmap.jpg

familytreept1.jpg

(For orientation, the Friedrich in the top left is Friedrich I. Every player character chosen is here too, apart from Cassandra and Eugen, the first two.)

familytreept2.jpg

gameoverman.jpg

I will post the link for the new thread -- for part 2 of this megacampaign -- here shortly. I hope you've enjoyed reading this at least as much as I did writing it! Another CKII AAR is certainly a possibility later on; obviously, with two running now, I'm not starting another (yet... a March of the Eagles AAR does intrigue me). Thanks for commenting and participating, and I'll see you again soon!

AW MY GOSH!
Let me be among the first to congratulate you to your EXTREMELY well written AAR. I learned so much and got really inspired. I liked this last post a lot and am looking forward to the EU-conversion (to hopefully learn a bit how to play, too).

On a sidenote: I am a student in the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, so I liked that little part a lot. :)

Very, very well done!

Stayed as a lurker for ages but now i need to come in and congratulate you for that, loved every bit of that AAR and will look foward to its EUIII continuation!

It's just a shame that the world will look quite insane, maybe the Hohenzollerns will help fix Europe? ;)

AW MY GOSH!
Let me be among the first to congratulate you to your EXTREMELY well written AAR. I learned so much and got really inspired. I liked this last post a lot and am looking forward to the EU-conversion (to hopefully learn a bit how to play, too).

On a sidenote: I am a student in the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, so I liked that little part a lot. :)

Very nice! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Here's a link to the new AAR: Click me! It's in my signature too, as always.

Very, very well done!

Stayed as a lurker for ages but now i need to come in and congratulate you for that, loved every bit of that AAR and will look foward to its EUIII continuation!

It's just a shame that the world will look quite insane, maybe the Hohenzollerns will help fix Europe? ;)

Glad you dropped me a line, and I definitely plan on fixing Europe whether it likes it or not. :D

That one fractured and crazy world there at the end. It will be interesting to see how it goes in the EU3 era. It was nice to see the story end on such a dramatic note. I assume that the fragmentation in England, Hungary, and south-western France are temporary revolts and not permanent independence.

Great AAR - looking forward to EU3.

The map of Europe is a bit ugly...and so much for the united Empires thing...

Xavier is the best ruler - quite expected though.

I'm both sad and happy this part of the AAR came to an end: sad because it was an amazing CKII AAR, but happy because I love EUIII and will certainly enjoy the next part. :)

That map is certainly interesting. The hordes look like they'll be as strong as they usually are in EUIII. I also noticed that the HRE lost its possessions in England, which I remember occurring earlier in your AAR. And if I'm not mistaken, is that France in Iberia? If it is, it looks like the HRE is going to have the Big Blue Blob to contend with.

That one fractured and crazy world there at the end. It will be interesting to see how it goes in the EU3 era. It was nice to see the story end on such a dramatic note. I assume that the fragmentation in England, Hungary, and south-western France are temporary revolts and not permanent independence.

I'm not certain -- I don't have EU3 on this PC -- but a world map or three will be a major part of the first update.

Great AAR - looking forward to EU3.

The map of Europe is a bit ugly...and so much for the united Empires thing...

Xavier is the best ruler - quite expected though.

That is why I decided to call him Xavier the Great, after all. :)

I'm both sad and happy this part of the AAR came to an end: sad because it was an amazing CKII AAR, but happy because I love EUIII and will certainly enjoy the next part. :)

That map is certainly interesting. The hordes look like they'll be as strong as they usually are in EUIII. I also noticed that the HRE lost its possessions in England, which I remember occurring earlier in your AAR. And if I'm not mistaken, is that France in Iberia? If it is, it looks like the HRE is going to have the Big Blue Blob to contend with.

I think so; I'm not certain it's there though. I now think I should include an HRE map so you know exactly who is in and who is out.

Are you planning on doing some consolidating of land in between AARs?

That would spoil the fun of consolidating it a bit more... violently. :D

Great AAR, can't wait for the EU3 iteration.