• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, your now one step closer to uniting Iberia.

Yeah, although this next mission is super sketchy...Carthage has been on the down but Egypt is exceptionally strong. The army tab tells me that Egypt's army is around 2600% more than us. How the f*** they are able to have such a huge army is beyond me....this is going to be suicide unless I can figure something out. They are fighting a war against Catharge, but I think they will destroy Carthage. The world power now is between the Romans, Seleucids, and the Egyptians. Carthage is becoming a shell of its former self (though still more than a match for me had I not shut off their army access).

How do you, still a newly civilized nation, have more tech than Carthage?!

@DKM: Very good question. Although to be honest after I started my expansion I have only gone up two levels since, slightly slower than the average pace of 1 level per 10 years. I am not an expert in the game mechanic but it was essentially my sole focus from the beginning of the game. For the first 80 some years until becoming a republic I had the citizenship idea which made Gallaicoi a fairly high percentage of citizen ratio (and low manpower, etc). Every year my omen was on + research because I didn't think anything else is that viable. By now Gallaicoi has more than 62% Civilization, which is decently high, and 2 other provinces has more than 50% civilization.

Here are my screencaps in the latest situation. I have also built academies in all provinces and my provinces trade with papyrus whenever I can. I am at 2.4 research a month to Carthage's 6.2, but Carthage is also much more than three times larger than me. Seleucid has 25 times more invested in research but we are on par. I just assumed that it's because of my focus and how small I am relative to amount of research I pour in.

That's my interpretation anyways.

3e6046.png
921e40.png

Thanks for the explanation!

Another question, where are those Roman Rebels I spied on the list?

The Romans haven't been part of the story much since majority of the actions right now are centred on the peninsula. There are some rebel forces in the Gallic provinces but they wont last long. I find the Rebels rarely post any threat. Dont know how the rebel mechanics work but seems like they can get their territories recaptured pretty easily.

Just an update on current state of things...the game is temporary on hold for the last couple of days because of emotional hurdles. I should advance the story by tonight...

Emotional hurdle being that I don't think there's a way out of this. I have said at the start that I will strive to complete every mission. This next mission is pure suicide. I need to conquer Olissipo to save the Celt-Iberians there.

Problem #1: Egypt's tech is the same as mine

Problem #2: Their army is about 27 times mine.

I am staring at this really, really hard...and I feel that I am gonna get conquered for starting a stupid war.

You could wait till Egypt is involved in a lot of wars and maybe try to secure an alliance with one of the major powers like the Selucids or the Romans.

Last edited:
You never said that would do them immediately, just that you would work to that goal when you could.

Perhaps that could become the rallying cry of the Republic, so just grow and strengthen and then as DKM said wait till they are busy and drop the hammer.

JuniorNC- Please don't give up on this AAR. You were bringing new life to this forum.

Chapter 13: Upon the Gates to Duat

Sincere apologies on the delay. Just got a new computer and had to transfer a lot of the files over since the old laptop is on the verge of dying (6 years old!). This will be a short update but stayed tuned! I envision this to be a long-ish war, so it's not going to be just one update

The senate of Gallaeci is tasked with a very very difficult task ahead: the liberation of their brethren in Olissipo.

There are several difficulties to this task:

1. Egyptian army outnumbers them, severely.
2. If they hope to conquer and force the Egyptians to make concessions, they will most likely need to invade mainland Africa

Unlike their previous engagement with the Carthaginians, they lack the technological edge that they had utilized to their greatest advantage. Despite that, there may be some saving graces:

1. The Egyptians are busy with Carthage
2. They have an otherworldly general in the form of Luxinius Leukid

Failure can only mean certain death. They knew that. But they also know there is no turning back at this point. Time is running out for the Olissipoans.

The Gallaeci spent the next year to assemble their army and navy, as well as the building of infrastructures and defensive elements. While the Egyptians engage in a war against Carthage, they will bid their time and strengthen themselves.

2872c7.png
b8dead.png
72352b.png

At the turn of the year 586 AUC, it became obvious that Carthage is on the losing end of their war and is losing grounds steadily to the Egyptians. Seeing their chance slipping away, the Gallaeci mobilized their plan. They sent out assassins to kill the most capable of the Egyptian generals and succeeded. The Egyptians executed the assassin in retaliation, as expected, and gave the Gallaeci the perfect excuse to mobilize their plan into action.

1267a2.png
4795c4.png
c7e8f0.png

The Gallaeci battle plan is simple: to take the Egyptians by surprise and try to seize control of Egyptian Iberia territories before they can respond and ward off counterattacks long enough to hopefully force a truce. They have the preemptive surprise and familiarity of the geography in their favour. It's nothing elaborate...but the best plan they can come up with such overwhelming odds.

With that, they began their march towards Olissipo

7390d1.png

The army, led by the national hero Luxinius, laid siege to Olissipo. The Egyptian vanguard swiftly turned their attention toward them and advanced back upon them to lift the siege. Luxinius is a military genius and used the terrain around them to their full advantage, confronting an army one a half times his size.

806d54.png

The fact they were prepared for this assault served them well and they repel the attack. Employing the tactic he had came up with in the previous war, he led the calvary ahead to intercept the enemy to gain upper hand on the terrain.

da0bbc.png
b7d2e1.png

The battle had gone off to a wonderful start for them. His army was able to intercept the Egyptians at Cynetes and won a decisive battle at a very minimal cost.

aec17d.png

This is one major victory for the Gallaeci. But they know that they may have just waken a slumbering beast...

How are you going to deal with the naval aspect of the war?

Honest answer: No idea. Their navy is scary...I have seen it when it sailed by.

But I do not have the resources to build a navy capable of competing. I realized that was really my main reason of winning the last war. I am having a good start with this bashing of their army (I am really lucky I have such a good general and the goal is to always try to put them on the offensive to run into my army while I retain the terrain bonus).

Having said that, in the end I decided to jump into this war anyways. Stupid decisions are made throughout history for dumb reasons. Napoleon invaded Russia for reasons less than this. I am going to go out in a ball of fire protecting my people. What makes these fun, right?

Are you going to eventually ally with a major power like the Selucids or Romans?

Maybe if you beat egypt it might put you on their radar.

Good luck, off to a great start anyway.

Chapter 13.1: The Early Triumph and the Awakening of the Beast

Gallaeci had a taste of victory. The triumph at Cynetes had an enormously positive effect on the people of the new republic. Stories of how Luxinius was able to slaughter tens and thousands of men while losing little less than a thousand spread like wildfire and undoubtedly, stroked fear into the minds of the Egyptians. Siege was laid on Cynetes as the Gallaecian plan of quickly overwhelming and establish stronghold in Iberia moved into place. Luxinius left a small rearguard to continue the siege and pursued the fleeing Egyptians, scoring an important victory at Turduli and forcing their enemy to flee into barbarian territory. For their plan to succeed, they must exterminate Egypt's Army Group Iberia.

0f0b1e.png

This setback had enormous implications back home in Alexandria. The Egyptians erupted into a full out civil war as the populists demanded an answer for such a disaster in Iberia. Luggones, on the other hand, quietly annexed some Carthaginian lands in Iberia amid the chaos and consolidated itself as a rising power in Iberia.

cab8f7.png

Gallaecians rejoiced at the news and they smelled victory. This, coupled with more victories against the Egyptians and news of them getting ambushed by barbarians in their flight, sent the people in the streets. They are winning against a near-invincible world power. This small, small republic in the corner of the world. Egyptians has three enemies to deal with: Carthage, Gallaeci, and now themselves. Perhaps luck had smiled upon them after-all.

The celebration was short, however. Egypt, now desperate to regain the balance of power, called upon the help of their ally: Pontus, to join the war against their enemy. It was a domino effect and soon, declarations of war came from all over as the Seleucids, Macedonians, and Bosporan Kingdom jumped upon this new crusade against the little upstart. Gallaeci is in trouble...they have woken a host of sleeping lions.

6300cf.png
13066f.png

In June of 587 AUC, the first of Seleucid's scouting ship was spotted off the coast of Atlantic. It was a small fleet of only four ships and the Gallaeci quickly mobilized their navy in hopes of destroying them before reinforcements arrive. They captured Cynetes that same month and the army now quickly to capture the coveted Olissipo.

32ef2d.png
087dc9.png

The navy was able to score a quick victory with an element of surprise but the appearance of a large Egyptian fleet forced them to retreat for the time being. Seleucids continue to send scouting fleets which prompted hit and run tactics by the navy.

e810ab.png
dd9818.png
e729dd.png

Hoping for a repeat of collaborations that had proved successful against the Carthaginians, Gallaeci called upon the help of Cantabri again, but was soundly refused against the face of an impossible enemy.

IBvR6S.png

Things are starting to look dire for the Gallaeci and they began a massive build-up in the face of possible invasion. Meanwhile, they were finally able to corner and eradicate Egypt's Army Group Iberia that September and secure the peninsula. Olissipo was captured November of that year and Gallaeci had dominion over the peninsula.

6lchSr.png
6fACpl.png

The navy, however, was beginning to see setbacks despite the initial success. The hit and run tactic was successful at first but more scouting ships have shown up since and in a crucial mistake made by the admiral, they were caught and unable to retreat in time. The number is starting to overwhelm the small Gallaeci army and by the end of that year, they were forced to retreat into the safety of their harbour.

30GKoV.png
OvJFs9.png
Abt4Rp.png

Gallaeci had a very successful start to their Olissipo campaign and by the start of 588 AUC, merely 2 years into the war, they were able to secure their objectives and successfully completing their goal of securing Iberia and eradicating Egyptian presence. But looking forward, this may only be the calm before the storm as great powers have been drawn into this conflict, alarmed by the tiny republic's success. Had Gallaeci stopped now, they may stand a chance. But the military-centric senate is too proud to even comtemplate suing for peace and may be to the detriment of Gallaeci. Only time can tell whether this tiny republic will be able to weather the storm when the big leagues show up and play in the remote corner of the world.

Apologies to everyone for the slow updates lately. I try to play real time while updating but it does take a significant amount of time to do it for a sitting. Just been busy with work/personal stuff lately. We are still here though! :)

Apologies to everyone for the slow updates lately. I try to play real time while updating but it does take a significant amount of time to do it for a sitting. Just been busy with work/personal stuff lately. We are still here though! :)
That is okay. Better this than you burning out.