• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Petty kingdom.... ha ha ha, ha ha. I got a kick when I saw that!

Fb-fb:

I am not surprised Eadger has found fault, and it all fits into the pattern of these later years. Everything is focused on Uhtræd. Everything. And everything perceived as a threat to Uhtræd's future reign is to be sacrificed.

As for Eadwerd, this is a life lesson.
Excellent call on Eadgar's motivation there. At this age, there is not a thing that occurs that is not run through the prism of what it may mean for the crown and Uhtræd in the years to come. And yes, a life lesson for Eadward, to be sure.

You know, I'm not a fan of Eadgar here. For all his moralizing here, this is a man who plotted to, and successfully, murdered a child to gain the throne. Eadward potentially siring a bastard with Madrun is small potatoes compared to that. It's funny because here Eadward's relative youth and lack of first hand experience of the wars hurts him - I doubt Uthread would have let his father talk to him like that, knowing what he knows.

That said, if Eadgar's goal is to stabilize the realm for Uthread, then I can't help but feel this threat is empty or at least shortsighted. In fact, I'd argue if Eadgar thinks on it, he would realize the opposite would likely occur if he took such a drastic action - it would potentially make for a testier rival claimant who is more inclined to cause trouble. Just ask Richard II how disinheriting uncles and cousins worked out for him.
I will not deny that Eadgar did some moralizing there and will surely not argue that he has any great right do so given his own past actions. That may be considered his dichotomy - others are to be far more harshly treated for lessor actions than he himself did even while he considers his own crimes quite heavy. Though I might argue that he finds more fault with himself mostly due to the outcome as regards Uhtræd than anything it may have meant for his own mortal soul. I would not call his threat to Eadward empty but you may very well be right in that it would be short-sighted. A very good point.

And no, Uhtræd would not have stood for that type of conversation.

I'm getting a bit of a different read on that conversation than JabberJock here. I don't think it's Eadgar's intent to "moralize" to Eadward or threaten him; otherwise he would have just told him to stop seeing Madrun at all. Instead, I think Eadgar's trying to clue him in to the fact that he might not be as clever as he thinks he is, on two counts:

1. Eadgar has been playing this game for decades longer than Eadward has; therefore, the idea that he can hide anything from his father is folly.
2. If Eadgar can find out about Madrun so easily despite all the precautions Eadward (thinks he) has taken, then so can someone who might try to use that knowledge to do real damage.
Very well said. While there was some "moralizing" going on, Eadgar was really more concerned with Eadward's seeming lack of discretion as he went about his actions. Everything is for the crown and anything that may speak poorly of the crown would speak poorly of him and possibly to his heir when the time comes. And given the troubles he is having with Robert of Normandy - the last thing the King wants is the Norman Duke using this to his advantage in any way.

Ok I have just caught up and here's my take:

• 1st would a Saxon King at that time really have had issue with his son having a mistress? I think not. That said the further I read the more it seems the issue that the king has is the choice of mistress-fair enough but it did come across in the early exchanges that the king was moralising when in that day and age it was not an uncommon thing (nay even expected) that great lords would take mistresses to their beds.
  • Why is Edward also allied with Skuli in his war with Due Robert? `Did I miss something?
  • Good call by the king in his usurpation by the way-the higher the demesne the better
  • Why is there always a cup of ale to hand? :p I am slightly tongue in cheek with that one but it is something to consider

I do love the exchanges by the way and another question did the rules on rude words suddenly get relaxed as I note the site no longer seems to try and alter them?
I will take them one by one (and good to see you caught up!)

1. I think you have the right read on it there - it is not so much that he has a mistress but that he has this mistress and that he seems to have been so cavalier about it. Notice, Eadgar even tells his son to keep seeing her at the end - just be smarter about it. The King is more worried about Robert getting any leverage of any kind more than his son bedding down some wench. And Madrun is no tavern wench.
2. You may have but it is no fault of yours as I only mentioned it briefly in passing when Uhtræd came home. It is such a small and meager force, it barely merited a mention. I will say a bit more about it in a scene or two. But yes, Eadward allied with Skuli almost imediately after gaining his lands.
3. I thought so. It will make the eventual play for Gwynedd that much easier and indeed, a higher demesne means more prestige every day. Eadgar has become a bit prestige hungry in his old age and it shows in his numbers, I think. Well done him. :D
4. Ha! Yes, my characters do like their drink. Not as much as Morcar did, but you may notice Eadgar drinking more and more as he has grown older. But a fair enough point. I may use it as an easy movement choice and thus have fallen into a poor habit by using it as a crutch. You know I dislike using "he said" "she said" etc. more than is needed, so I usually try and use an action prior to or just after a line. The ale (or wine) has been handy in that regard. ;)

Finally, I believe that they have been slightly relaxed, though I don't believe anything I used above would immediately be flagged due to their old school use or use in other fashions. I have tried to use euphemisms as much as possible if for no other reason, than to be creative and not right on the nose. This scene called for a little of the latter but I still tried to be...specific with my choices.

Petty kingdom.... ha ha ha, ha ha. I got a kick when I saw that!
Frankly, I found it rather petty that she still found the need to call herself such when all she has left is a county on the edge of the island. And that...likely not for long. :D

To all - some great discussion about Eadward/Eadgar/Madrun! I love it. One of the very specific joys I get out of writing in this place is seeing the different takes on each scene and you folks are the very best at it! The next scene will arrive tomorrow and we will get our first look at the new spymaster. I've been having some fun there. :)

Thank you all so much for your excellent comments!

Why is there always a cup of ale to hand? :p I am slightly tongue in cheek with that one but it is something to consider

For an inuniverse explanation, I would say it was because ale was used by many as a way to partially clean water and make it more palatable to drink in cities and large towns, because the local water supply was often horrifically contaminated by whatever waste the people produced and threw in it. I would say that...but it might be a bit too early. Generally speaking river water was beginning to get dirty around settlements and downstream of them but there were still many places where water in this period was clean-very clean in fact.

Saxons and their diet generally was in many ways superior to the modern one (from a certain perspective of course. All this depends on them having enough to eat).They ate foods that could not destroy their teeth or internal organs and drank mead (depending on how you make it, a not particularly harmful substance either) and with increasing popularity ale; the water was getting increasingly dirty and wine was an expensive import. The ale in this period though would have generally been weak, even weaker than in the 14th and 15th centuries, the golden age of ale drinking for this specific reason. With the disruption in trade with the continent (because France is being torn apart and a Burgundian equivalent of safe trading corridors haven't been made yet) ale and mead are pretty much the only alcohol the saxons can get (unless you want to break history and give them whiskey from Ireland a few hundred years early).

So saxons would drink this stuff like it was water, because for an increasing number of them it practically was their water supply.

-Professor M

Small beer was already used by the late Saxon period in our timeline I believe. I don't think anyone knows for sure when it began.

For an inuniverse explanation, I would say it was because ale was used by many as a way to partially clean water and make it more palatable to drink in cities and large towns, because the local water supply was often horrifically contaminated by whatever waste the people produced and threw in it. I would say that...but it might be a bit too early. Generally speaking river water was beginning to get dirty around settlements and downstream of them but there were still many places where water in this period was clean-very clean in fact.

Saxons and their diet generally was in many ways superior to the modern one (from a certain perspective of course. All this depends on them having enough to eat).They ate foods that could not destroy their teeth or internal organs and drank mead (depending on how you make it, a not particularly harmful substance either) and with increasing popularity ale; the water was getting increasingly dirty and wine was an expensive import. The ale in this period though would have generally been weak, even weaker than in the 14th and 15th centuries, the golden age of ale drinking for this specific reason. With the disruption in trade with the continent (because France is being torn apart and a Burgundian equivalent of safe trading corridors haven't been made yet) ale and mead are pretty much the only alcohol the saxons can get (unless you want to break history and give them whiskey from Ireland a few hundred years early).

So saxons would drink this stuff like it was water, because for an increasing number of them it practically was their water supply.

-Professor M

Small beer was already used by the late Saxon period in our timeline I believe. I don't think anyone knows for sure when it began.
That and Eadgar just likes his ale. Not as much as Morcar before him, but he does enjoy a fine cup. :D

To all - the next scene follows after a typo pass. Thanks again for reading and commenting!

The Rightful King

Gainsborough, England - September 1108

The Mayor of Penrith and new master of spies to the King made his way down the halls of the keep at Gainsborough with a spring in his step that belied his advanced age. Few could truly tell that he was nearing eighty and he was not one to try and change their opinion. His morning ritual was always a dip in the cold waters of any nearby stream and a full meal to prepare him for the day. A small tipple of a local brew from his home in Penrith gave him the spirit to begin anew each day and kept him as alert and agile as any man thirty years his junior. He smiled at a chamber maid as she left the King’s room and knocked at the door, waiting for King Eadgar to give him leave to enter. Upon hearing the words, Mayor Brice moved into the room to find the King still abed and quite pale.

“Your Grace,” Brice offered a bow, “Do you still find yourself unwell? I have heard that you woke before the crow of the cock.”

Eadgar looked up at his new man with tired eyes, “And I did this very day but find my body weak. My lady wife has called for some small tincture and I think that I shall take it for I abhor lazing about.”

Brice offered a nod, “Your recent progress may have caused you disease, Your Grace. You may do well to hear the Queen’s advice if she thinks bedrest warranted.”

“Bah!” Eadgar exclaimed as he tried to sit up but found it difficult.

“You should not tax yourself, Your Grace,” Brice moved to the bed and found a soft pillow to help prop up the King, “Please take my word for it. Age does take its toll and it is well to see all of the signs.”

Eadgar allowed a grin, “You do not seem to suffer from it, my Lord Mayor.”

Brice smiled, “And yet I have and do every day. I simply do not wish others to see my infirmity.”

“Neither do I,” Eadgar laid his head back on the pillow, “I cannot afford to do so in any ways.”

The new master of spies moved to pull a parchment from his robe, “I be certain that you will be in top form in no time, Your Grace. It is but an ailment and no thing more. I have here the report that you desired, but if you are too tired, I may certainly return at a later hour.”

The King waived his hand, “I would not let some sniffle keep me from my duty, sir. Tell me what you have found.”

“Part the first concerns my predecessor in many ways, Your Grace,” Brice looked to his scroll as he consulted his notes.

“Oh?” Eadgar questioned with a smirk, “What has the Lord of Normandy found these days?”

Brice returned the grin, “It is not so much the what of his finding as it is the finding itself…he still sees some claim to the Emperor’s chair. It appears that he would find that one way or the other had he his desires.”

“Does Lord Robert have any legitimate position in which to do so?” Eadgar scowled in his question.

“I do not see it for myself,” Brice was quick to answer, “But I must admit that my knowledge of that German realm too little at this time.”

“Then you shall need to learn quickly, my Lord,” Eadgar suggested with firmness.

Brice nodded with certainty, “I quite agree and have done my best in this short time to seek out such knowledge. It appears that another contender is out there in Duke Siegmund of Brunswick. He be a man of thirty with four strapping young lads to call his own and his holdings are vast in the north of Germany.”

Eadgar wrinkled his brow, “Is this Duke the only other candidate? I would have assumed another of the Salian branch more palatable to these peoples.”

“Heinrich IV has only a daughter, Your Grace,” the master of spies continued to read from his notes, “Though his father and grandfather before him were both so called Kaisers of this realm, this man does have no kin in which to pass it off to, I am afraid. And besides…the chair is an elective one. They may choose whom they wish, regardless of familial affinity.”

“So there is no other candidate at the now?” Eadgar asked again.

Brice shook his head, “There is not, though I may say that this Duke Siegmund of Brunswick holds the vast majority of opinion in his favor. Our Duke of Normandy has only his own and a dream of the future. Nothing more.”

The King sat back with a sigh, “It is a shame that my son could not be considered for such a position given his great role in Meissen.”

“All things are possible, Your Grace,” Brice offered a slight bow, “But these Germans do tend to choose from their own. One more reason why I think it no great thing that our Norman Duke wishes such a lofty goal. However…there is always your grandson who is in line to inherit the Duchy of Meissen from his mother.”

“He will not be German,” Eadgar looked to the ceiling as he answered, “And I would not wish such on any man. England be enough for any ruler. I know it too well.”

The Mayor gave nod, “A fair assessment, Your Grace. I may also say that our Duke Robert may have his share of trouble as the current man in the seat does not let up in his pursuit of claims. Heinrich IV continues his campaign for Poitou by claim of his own mother and I be certain that he does not take kindly to the seizing of Flanders.”

Eadgar looked to his master of spies with sadness, “It is a tangled web, sir. I many times wonder if Lord Robert’s worth and that of Normandy is just too much trouble for this realm.”

“They are the gains of the past,” Brice answered quickly, “And you benefit in every way, Your Grace. A strong presence on the continent would always make those having future designs on your throne consider their position well. France is and will be in turmoil for many years and so this does provide a fine buffer between you and these Germans. I may also say that it is in your favor and good judgment that you have altered the state of succession in this realm and in so doing, you have provided a guiding light for all others to see and seek to find.”

“Do you wish to lick my boots as well?” Eadgar said in his fever.

Brice made a full bow, “I would serve you in all ways, Your Grace. I remain ever grateful to you and Prince Eadward for this position and would do all I can to be as helpful as I may.”

The King gave a nod of his head as he looked to Brice with more kindness, “I am tired, my Lord. I speak out of turn. You did say that there was more than one part, did you not?”

“I did, Your Grace,” Brice stood tall, “The perfidy of Lord Robert’s efforts do not stop at the water’s edge. It seems that he has attempted to use his wife, the Lady Maud, in some scheme to work towards controlling our Duchess of Mercia.”

Eadgar sighed, “Has he found any success?”

The Mayor smiled, “You will be pleased to know that Duchess Wulfrun has no wish to have any doings with her mother at this time and loves you in every way, Your Grace.”

“She is but twelve summers,” Eadgar looked again to the ceiling, “That will change.”

“I do not think that this should be your worry,” Brice looked back to his notes, “Mercia remains strong and it is in your weaker Lords that you may find issue. Namely, your Lord Cearl.”

“My head swims, my Lord,” Eadgar looked back to his new master of spies with some pain, “Speak your words clearly if you are able.”

Brice read from his notes, “The Lord Cearl does still contact the Lord Robert on a near constant basis. It is my belief that he wishes some favor from the Norman Duke and would follow him into any place. The Lord Cearl is a weak man, both in health still and in his nature. He would be easily led.”

Eadgar allowed a smile in his weakness, “That is well assessed, my Lord.”

“I would do my diligence, Your Grace,” Brice nodded.

The King tried to close his eyes to sleep but did his best to stay alert, “What may we do about it?”

Brice offered a brief bow, “I do know that your son, the Chancellor, has been in Somerset for some time. He still finds no way to gain you any favor with those peoples. I would suggest a plot to place Duke Cearl in poor light with them such that they may wish your direct ruling and not his. It may serve two purposes, both of which would be beneficial to Your Grace.”

Eadgar looked to his new man with a stern eye, “Do you think that my son does poor work?”

“Not in the least,” Brice made a brief bow, “But there is more to be done that has not yet been tried, Your Grace.”

“I do not care for plotting,” Eadgar rested his head on the pillow with exhaustion.

Brice offered a smile, “You need not push yourself in any way, Your Grace. I would see to it.”

Eadgar closed his eyes to find some sleep but still found words to answer, “Do not see my son harmed.”

“There be no chance of that,” Brice replied as he began to back from the room, “If there be plot, he will have no part of it. It may serve you both.”

The King was close to falling asleep and yet still tried to answer, “He has…worked hard in that place.”

The master of spies was at the door when he replied, “That he has, Your Grace. I be certain that the Prince will find success.”

“That is good…good…” Eadgar suggested as he drifted off to sleep.

Mayor Brice exited the room and then exhaled. He had much work to do and the first was to make contact with his people in Somerset before he left again for Rouen. He would most assuredly prove himself to this King. Sick or no, his future depended upon it.

I like that in this post, in the long years of his life, there is still the stubbornness from the short years. Even if, in this instance, it is a stubbornness overcome by tiredness.

The new spymaster reminds me of my grandparents. My Gran used to deliver meals on wheels into her 80s to folk more than twenty years her junior. She used to tell me about the "old dears". There something of that here.

Lord Brice is truly an inspiration to us all. Far too many -- even in this day and age -- would simply allow the burdens of time and age to overwhelm them without a fight.

I do have this sneaking suspicion that Eadgar's insistence on involving himself in the day-to-day business of rule even in his present infirmity will lead to no good end. The man really should allow himself some rest; he's certainly earned it at this point.

...Though if it inspires another fever dream where Beorhtmaer shows up, it won't be all bad, granted ;)

What a great post! In one fell swoop you have appraised all of us of the goings on within the realm and you've used an audience with your spymaster as the device: bravo! Duly noted!

So the game's afoot! Revoke Somerset through plotting and look at maybe increasing your holdings in continental Francia. Ambitious! I look forward to seeing how that plays out.

Fb-fb:

I like that in this post, in the long years of his life, there is still the stubbornness from the short years. Even if, in this instance, it is a stubbornness overcome by tiredness.

The new spymaster reminds me of my grandparents. My Gran used to deliver meals on wheels into her 80s to folk more than twenty years her junior. She used to tell me about the "old dears". There something of that here.
Eadgar is and always has been a soldier so he will not stop fighting if he has breath in his body. I am very pleased that this comes across in the scene. As for Lord Brice, he is an interesting one. I did not really pay much attention to his age when I hired him in-game because I mostly wanted the stat number. But once it came time to write for him...well, he most certainly thinks of those younger than him as "old dears." :D

Lord Brice is truly an inspiration to us all. Far too many -- even in this day and age -- would simply allow the burdens of time and age to overwhelm them without a fight.

I do have this sneaking suspicion that Eadgar's insistence on involving himself in the day-to-day business of rule even in his present infirmity will lead to no good end. The man really should allow himself some rest; he's certainly earned it at this point.

...Though if it inspires another fever dream where Beorhtmaer shows up, it won't be all bad, granted ;)
The King remains ever vigilant when it comes to what he may be leaving to his son. He does likely deserve a rest, but he will not see it. As he said in post, Eadgar "abhors lazing about." As for Lord Brice, look above to my comment to stnylan. He is an interesting one to write for because we do not see too many of this age in this game (or even at that time.) Here I have been talking about how old the King is and here comes the new spymaster that has a good twenty years on him. :p

What a great post! In one fell swoop you have appraised all of us of the goings on within the realm and you've used an audience with your spymaster as the device: bravo! Duly noted!

So the game's afoot! Revoke Somerset through plotting and look at maybe increasing your holdings in continental Francia. Ambitious! I look forward to seeing how that plays out.
Thank you, sir, and you may notice Eadgar has no ale in the scene. :p That won't last. ;)

It was an aside, but indeed, I have had my spymaster in Rouen trying to dig up something...anything...against Robert since Brice was hired. I was not sure what I could find, but it never hurts to try, right? As for Somerset, look the the next scene for more on that, but indeed, I have been trying to dig up a claim for years now. I decided to try a different approach at this time in the game.

To all - the next scene will follow tomorrow, likely late in the day as I have a rather long weekend ahead of me. I hope to get the next few out in the regular time as always, but it may be a day more in some cases. I will say that I have officially completed the writing and I am itching to get it out there. But as I have also said...fear not, for there is plenty left to come. :D

Plotting, politcking, scheming, murders in chapels and churches, I guess what goes on in Washing... er, 12th century England is nothing new to note of. :p

Talk about waiting a long time for a reward - Lord Brice getting the spymaster gig at his age. But he seems up to the task.

Interesting bits in here too - Edgar feeling his new man out. (The bootlicker comment seemed aimed to provoke reaction, even if it may have been borne out of frustration and past guilt) And I like the nod to the king's age here as he falls asleep. A reminder Eadgar is the "old" man here, despite being the younger man in the conversation. A subtle call back to Brice's line about not willing to let others see his age earlier in the chapter - he seems capable of doing that whereas Eadgar these days, not so much.

And despite the fact there will be more after this is done (and I am very much looking forward to what you have planned), I am still a bit saddened to hear the final bit is written. The end of an era (for Eadgar, anyway).

I think I like this Brice.:)

Fb-fb:

Plotting, politcking, scheming, murders in chapels and churches, I guess what goes on in Washing... er, 12th century England is nothing new to note of. :p
Not terribly new, no. And not likely to change anytime soon. ;)

Talk about waiting a long time for a reward - Lord Brice getting the spymaster gig at his age. But he seems up to the task.

Interesting bits in here too - Edgar feeling his new man out. (The bootlicker comment seemed aimed to provoke reaction, even if it may have been borne out of frustration and past guilt) And I like the nod to the king's age here as he falls asleep. A reminder Eadgar is the "old" man here, despite being the younger man in the conversation. A subtle call back to Brice's line about not willing to let others see his age earlier in the chapter - he seems capable of doing that whereas Eadgar these days, not so much.

And despite the fact there will be more after this is done (and I am very much looking forward to what you have planned), I am still a bit saddened to hear the final bit is written. The end of an era (for Eadgar, anyway).
I think we may say that Eadgar's burdens over his admittedly shorter life compared to Brice are a great gulf. It has aged him more in his shorter years, no doubt.

I think I like this Brice.:)
The man appreciates it. Now we give him a foe in the next scene. :D

To all - the next scene took another day to post after a very long day yesterday. But it will arrive in just a moment. And as stated, Brice realizes he is not the only one going for the King's favor and Eadward realizes his choice may not have been the wisest (or at least, easy on himself.) Thanks for your excellent comments as always!

The Rightful King

Gainsborough, England - May 1109

The King entered the privy council chamber and the four men already there stood and lowered their heads in a bow until he found his chair at the head of the table. He remained standing as he looked across to Bishop Cearl, “You may say your words, my Lord Bishop.”

The Court Chaplain offered a fine but quick prayer and then Eadgar looked to all present with some irritation in his eyes, “You may understand that our Lord Marshal is not present as he has taken his force across the channel to invest Brugge once again. I have sanctioned this action and let no man question it.”

As he sat and gestured for the others to do so, his son spoke up, “And let no man question your wisdom in this, Your Grace. I understand that Lord Skuli has found it difficult to match the Duke in Normandy even as he holds a clear advantage here in Wessex.”

Eadgar turned to him with no smile, “You would understand it well. How goes it with your small force? Any better?”

Eadward shook his head, “They are meager, no doubt. I only send them to scout, Your Grace. And to lend support to our great Marshal.”

“I told you I had little issue with it,” Eadgar waived a hand and moved to pour himself a drink of ale from the pitcher in front of him, “As long as you have little need of your force to the west, then this is good training for them. Lord Harold does his best to harass the areas around London and the rest of Middlesex but Lord Skuli is matched two to one in Normandy and Robert moves to attack his own brother in the Vexin.”

“It is surely frustrating,” Lord Brice spoke out with a nod of the head, “I am certain of that, Your Grace.”

Eadgar turned to the opposite side of the table to match his gaze and still found no smile, “Yes…it is.”

Duke Æthelmær, seated next to the Mayor, nodded his assent, “It has lowered the expected chance for yield in yet another year and our merchants in London are finding great hardship with this powerful conduit of trade so disrupted.”

Eadgar offered his Steward a slight smile as he looked to the rest, “So you may see why my mood this day is low, my Lords. I did never wish this to go so long and with our two tenacious Dukes, I fear it never ending. I have no issue with their quarrel until it hits us in the purse. It begins to do so now.”

Lord Brice tried to put a nice spin to the matter, “At least there was some success in Rouen recently, Your Grace.”

The King looked to his master of spies after taking a long pull of his drink, “And well on you for it, my Lord Mayor.”

Eadward already regretted his suggestion of this new master of spies and cut in to suggest, “Yet the taking of fifty gold pieces from some corrupt Mayor in Arques does not hit the Duke in Normandy as this affair does to His Grace.”

“It would cause him trouble in paying his fair share to his vassal Lord, methinks,” Brice smiled as he looked to the Prince. “That be no small thing.”

Duke Æthelmær sensed the mood and tried to play peacemaker, “It was no small thing indeed, but I believe the Prince to be right. What is most important is the King’s tax and this war goes on too long to keep it sound.”

The King raised his cup to the Steward as he nodded his head, “That is well said, my Lord Duke. This is my concern entirely.”

Eadgar looked to Lord Brice with some frustration, “It is well enough to take from a man, but he would still pay his due to his vassal Lord and find his own pocket empty. I would wish to see Lord Robert in hardship and not some low level Mayor…with all respect to you, my Lord.”

Brice offered a brief bow, “You are most correct, Your Grace. I shall be back to Rouen as soon as I am able in order to see this done. You may rest assured.”

“Very well,” Eadgar nodded with a frown and poured another cup.

“On a related note,” Lord Brice smiled across the table to the Prince, “We have made some great gains in your quest for Somerset, Your Grace.”

The King looked up with a raised brow, “Really? Pray tell what news?”

Eadward shot the master of spies an ill look, “This plot to revoke the county has produced one small courtier in Lord Cearl’s court, Your Grace.”

Lord Brice frowned at having his thunder stolen from him, “He be no small courtier, Your Grace. This Alexander suggests to me that he has many friends in the court of Duke Cearl and tells me that he may work hard to speak your truth to the people of Somerset.”

“I must say, my Lords…Your Grace…” Æthelmær looked to the King and then back to the others with a quizzical eye, “This be the first that this news comes to my hearing. What plan is this?”

Eadward shrugged, “Your work in Dover and elsewhere has kept you from us too long, my Lord Duke. It is no thing, as far as I am concerned. We have worked for some time to find a claim for His Grace in Somerset. It is believed that surely there is something that goes back many years and in asserting such will make certain that Lord Cearl is aware of the crown’s authority and will cease his attempts to befriend the Norman Duke.”

“What the Prince means…” Brice offered a pleasant smile to Eadward, “…is that he has tried this route and found it wanting. It is a valid thought, but one that has yet to produce a result. My effort has been somewhat different.”

The Prince was about to object but Eadgar held up his hand to stop him, “There be no need to squabble about the means, my Lords. My concern is the end of it.”

Duke Æthelmær looked to both the spymaster and the Prince and then back to the King, “So the desire is to strip Somerset from Lord Cearl?”

“His Grace has this wish…yes,” Brice nodded to the Steward.

“And your thinking in doing so goes?” Æthelmær returned the gaze with question.

Brice smiled, “To find some pretext in which no man may question His Grace should he revoke the county. He does not wish to be a harsh King, I think you would agree.”

The Steward turned to Eadgar, “You have blessed this, Your Grace?”

Eadgar nodded his assent and Eadward watched as Æthelmær processed this news. Finally the Steward suggested, “I have no great love for Lord Cearl and do think his works are poor at best. But I must wonder at the precedent it suggests, Your Grace.”

“Be still, my Lord Duke,” Eadgar looked to him with a kind eye, “I have no wish to go about and stealing rightly owned land from our great Lords. This be an act of punishment for Lord Cearl’s contempt in a manner that would not arouse the ire of the rest of you. Surely you understand. I have no desire to see this realm plunged back into a great struggle.”

Æthelmær considered it for a few more moments before replying, “Then I cannot see myself unsupportive, Your Grace. You may count on me as always.”

Eadgar offered a slight smile as he looked to his son, “That is fine to hear, my Lord. Would that all who know of this plot find their voice in it.”

“I do not lend a voice, Your Grace, because I think it a waste of time and energy,” Eadward returned his father’s smile. “And more, I would echo the concerns of Lord Æthelmær…it be a dangerous thing to let any man know you may come one day to take what is rightfully theirs. Surely you of all people may understand this.”

“His Grace has given me enough answer to assuage any doubt, my Prince,” Æthelmær suggested.

“Indeed, Prince Eadward,” Brice followed up, “You of all people may know that His Grace will have his prerogative. It does prove beneficial in all ways when won, does it not?”

Eadward sat back, unwilling to argue any further on the matter, “Proceed in all haste, my Lord. I will not stand in your way and much luck to you in the goal. I would have my father, the King, sound in every way.”

“Very good,” Eadgar nodded as he looked to his Steward, “And I thank you, my Lord, for your support in this.”

As Æthelmær gave a bow of his head in reply, the King moved to stand, “Unless there is more, sirs…”

Now Eadward smiled as he sat forward once again, “There is one other item, Your Grace…it concerns your grandson.”

“Oh?” Eadgar sat once more and moved to pour another cup of ale.

“Indeed, father…Your Grace…” Eadward grinned at the new master of spies, “…a letter from my brother tells me that young Oscytel has now come of age.”

Eadgar finally found a large smile, “That is excellent news! What are his pursuits?”

Eadward took advantage of his father’s attention, “It would appear that my brother was correct when Uhtræd suggested that the boy may be meant for the cloth.”

A frown came across the King’s face as he considered such a thing, “He could not do that! He is to be heir to this throne.”

The Prince shrugged, “I may only tell you what Uhtræd has told me, Your Grace. My brother and his wife share your concerns as the boy is also heir to the Duchy of Meissen…they have him to be married and soon to some girl from the south…a Dora Dandolo. She is sixteen and comely, Uhtræd suggests.”

“Well then…that is fine,” Eadgar smiled and took a drink.

“And yet…” Eadward placed a hand upon the table, “…he still has as his goal to speak his vows and become Court Chaplain to his mother’s realm.”

Eadgar looked immediately to Bishop Cearl with concern, “May he do both?”

The Bishop shook his head, “The tenets of the church would speak to no path that would allow such a thing, Your Grace. But this be Germany. I could not say what may be granted.”

“Then surely Uhtræd and Adela would not allow such a thing,” Eadgar looked back to his son.

“They have many children, father,” Eadward offered some sorrow in his eyes, “Their son Eadberht is naught but three years younger…”

“That boy I have not met,” Eadgar looked away as he pulled his drink to him.

Lord Brice attempted to counsel, “I be certain that any child of the Prince be useful as regards the succession, Your Grace.”

As the King shot the man a harsh look, Æthelmær placed his hand next to the master of spies, “You would do well not to concern yourself with His Grace’s family, my Lord.”

“I only meant…” Brice began to say but the King held up his hand to stop him.

“Uhtræd will know what to do,” Eadgar stated as a fact. “He knows more than all what this means and would not let his son break our chain. I would give him all of my trust.”

Eadward looked to his father with some pleading eyes, “Mayhap some words from you, Your Grace? We know not well these lands of Meissen and what is taught. The boy was a fine friend to us all when he visited some years past, but now…”

The King moved to take a large pull of his drink and then sat the cup down, “Uhtræd will know best. He needs not my thoughts on the matter. I would not burden him.”

The Prince smiled at Lord Brice before turning back to his father, “May I write to him and tell him of our concerns?”

Eadgar looked off into the distance as he answered, “You may if you are able, sir. But do not tell him that these words come from me. These be his children and I would not interfere.”

Last edited:
Well I'd dump him in the Church and get rid of the problem but then again...Something something reference to very old AAR (again).

Since Eadgar had a crap ton of children and grandchildren, finding one that has the build and stats and popularity for the throne shouldn't be hard. Getting them into it might prove more difficult but there's a lot of doors that open when you become willing to cull family members for profit.

Shy, craven, humble, and a Mastermind Theologian -- I think Oscytel is the sort more at home in a quiet alcove amidst tall stacks of books than on a throne listening to petitioners and office-seekers day in and day out.

I think, regardless of how many grandchildren Eadgar has, he is determined to set the succession by primogeniture. If Oscytel were to skip out on his inheritance, and Eadgar chose a grandchild, it would basically be elective succession and all his work would be for naught.

Also interesting bits with Eadward here. He had really managed to position himself as his father's closest confident. But now between Brice potentially getting Eadgar Somerset before he, Eadgar's renewed belief in making sure Uthread's line inherits and the scolding with Madrun, his jealousy and eagerness to please shine through. Makes his last line seem almost... sinister.

The King is wise not to interfere with his son's upbringing of his son. The traits of the boy is not kingly, though.