• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was thinking of the "Master Blaster" character in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome Movie.

"Master" was a Dwarf that rode on "Blaster's" Shoulders and told him what to do.

Reactions:
Mildly amazed Thierry lasted that long, in the grand scheme of things are more merciful death than I was expecting.

Some excellent blackmailing, though it must be said Arnoul is once again stretching the definition of being "the right hand" of the Karlings. Possibly a possessed right hand that doesn't actually like the body it is attached to?

Wow, this guy is pure evil.
Sadly this is true. There is never any justification for a Frenchification campaign and only the most diabolically evil of men would even attempt something so horrific.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Sadly this is true. There is never any justification for a Frenchification campaign and only the most diabolically evil of men would even attempt something so horrific.

Indeed. He simply showed his vassal his place. Very acceptable. However, Frenchification, truly the worst crime a man can do.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
That is an... interesting look at the world.

Guiges is such a wimp. "Help O God" as house words? Seriously?

Thierry has been put in his place!

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Wow, this guy is pure evil. I do not want to be on his bad side, or honestly on his right side. I would much rather be far, far, away from him.
There are kinder souls around, that's for sure. But as a redeeming trait, Arnoul doesn't just make people suffer for his own entertainment.

Thierry might appear to be different, but as in everything else, his punishment is part of Arnoul's greater plan.

The King will stay warm with the many lumps of coal that Santa will deliver. Thank you for updating and may you and your loved ones have a joyous and safe holiday season.
He doesn't qualify as a good guy, but perhaps later generations will thank him, at least.

Thank you :).
I was thinking of the "Master Blaster" character in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome Movie.

"Master" was a Dwarf that rode on "Blaster's" Shoulders and told him what to do.
And another reference that went over my head (never saw it, so easy for me to miss). Thanks for explaining, and keep making them. For every reference I miss, there's sure to be one I catch.

Then again, the reference would work best the other way around (with Arnoul at the helm, at least) - the giant telling the dwarf what to do... while the dwarf is still nominally the "Master" :p.

Mildly amazed Thierry lasted that long, in the grand scheme of things are more merciful death than I was expecting.

Some excellent blackmailing, though it must be said Arnoul is once again stretching the definition of being "the right hand" of the Karlings. Possibly a possessed right hand that doesn't actually like the body it is attached to?

Arnoul is neither a sadist nor vengeful for no reason. Someone like Eberhard may have made him a jester, thrown in the oubliette and taken out randomly for sessions of public torture... but for the current king, the grand scheme of things is all he has in mind.

A possessed hand - which often facepalms and does its own thing, trying to prevent yet another idiocy while doing its own stuff. Huh. Then again, the blackmailing did serve the purpose of gaining a permanent seat on the council, so he may be stretching the definition in terms of the method, but not in terms of the goal. This time, at least.

Indeed. He simply showed his vassal his place. Very acceptable. However, Frenchification, truly the worst crime a man can do.
Anyone with taste buds may disagree and point towards Anglification. But as it is currently mostly aimed at the Cisalpine Italians... these people may not be happy to have to trade their wine for Burgundy.

I also noticed that while I worked at Frenchifying the titles (Good thing the Etichonen didn't adopt some exotic culture, something which is always possible in CK. Staying Swabian would have been interesting, but probably workable.), I didn't change the actual French titles. So it will take until Arnoul's death before Burgundy becomes Bourgogne.

In order not to confuse anyone, I'll mention the base name for the title in brackets if it isn't clear what it was before the unmentionably evil act.

That is an... interesting look at the world.

Guiges is such a wimp. "Help O God" as house words? Seriously?

Thierry has been put in his place!
Coptic Jerusalem is my personal highlight, most of the rest is fairly expectable.

My thoughts exactly.

That will make anyone who wishes to annoy Arnoul think twice about it.

Happy (and, this year, calm) holidays to everyone! Arnoul's story shall continue after Christmas.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I am enjoying this AAR....

I will keep making obscure references from my youth....1980's and 1990's movies.

I personally think Arnoul would rather be Emperor....

Reactions:
Ch.15 – The Pragmatic King
Ch.15 – The Pragmatic King

Both the realm and my permanent guest Countess Almodis paid for my wedding. Almodis was perfectly willing to get herself separated from her bastard, and I've had no reason to disagree.

My wedding was overshadowed by an incident involving my little brother... but I preferred to keep it a secret. Philippe is my friend and ally, and that doesn't just save him from my knights, but also from humiliation.

5exfl1h.jpg

She also tried ransoming herself, but she's more useful to me as my “guest”. Also, I trust you can keep your disgust to yourself, Liudolf.

In the end, I wasn't even married a day and already my treasury had made a nice profit, paying for my war against the Queen Mother of Sardegna e Corsica, the Duchess of Genoa, for Piémont's county of Monferrato. The Genoese managed to fend me off in Monaco, but in Coni, I am certain to take the victory.

We outnumber them quite handily, and I thus advance aggressively, leading the men by example. Crashing into the Genoese flank, I take on a multitude of opponents, bringing deadly steel down on their heads until I feel a sharp pain in my flank. That – doesn't look good.

The day is won, but the wound is more than just a flesh wound. At least that's what I am thinking before my physician Hodierne arrives. A few tinctures, a bandage, and I feel good as new. All the gold I needed to hire her was well spent.

s0rhYqW.jpg

Not even a scar left! She's really good.

As we lay siege to Genoa, I hear of old king Fócarta's death. To nobody's surprise, Brittany and Alba are separated again, and Fócarta's eldest living son Custentin inherits. That leaves my sister as future Countess of Penthièvre... but she could be more...

And while I have the Emperor under control, it can't hurt to extend my influence outside of Francia's borders. I may not wield the Imperial authority directly, but if I am recognized as the foremost Catholic monarch – I may be able to convince the border lords to swear their fealty to me without needing to use the same method with which I am threatening Genoa now. All in the name of efficiency, strengthening my kingdom – and the Empire – without bloodshed.

By the very nature of marriage, Aude will be far closer to her betrothed, Cus...

Wait. She's betrothed to Custentin, Count of Penthièvre. Who is four years younger than his brother... King Custentin of Brittany.

I denied one moron a marriage only to propose it to another.

That's a mistake I have to repair.

NNYZ6xa.jpg

Is the nobility so permeated by idiots? Or am only I unlucky enough to be surrounded by them?

My message would have been clear enough, but no, the man responsible for Custentin's fall was apprehended and revealed that he acted on my order.

“King Arnoul of Burgundy can't abide the utter stupidity of giving two brothers of around the same age the same name, and couldn't be bothered to tell them apart to know who's his future brother-in-law, so he had me remove one of them.”

It's not that far from the truth – that could have caused a costly misunderstanding. I would have preferred it to stay a secret though. Then again, it may keep the dumb away from my gates – and my name spoken in fear.

Which may not be the worst reputation to have.

The Bretons aren't happy about it though, and the nobility clamours for the now sole Custentin to annul his betrothal to the regicidal king's sister. I can only imagine him cowering in fear for his life while his mother and her allies at court declare that it won't happen.

Only for the opposing faction to try to enforce that demand by force.

PNyPn6u.jpg

I just hope that it will be worth it to send my men, after adding Montferrat to my lands, to Brittany. I can at least pass it off as being a caring older brother ensuring the safety of the other of my dearest twin siblings.

As soon as I arrive in Brittany, Duke Angelbert informs me – in person – that he'll march against the Muslims in Cantabria, and he'd welcome my assistance. I answer that I will defend Anjou, and he's at least happy with that.

I didn't imagine having to make good on my promise, but as soon as the Breton rebels are put down, I have to face Sultan Yusuf's army.

The Muslims are slaughtered, and I can return home.

I9HZGD7.jpg

To put down peasants resisting my Frenchification campaign. Having risen up in Piémont, they've had the audacity to lay siege to Strasbourg.

“Strike at the seat of the tyrant”, that was their message, enabling them to assemble a mob of 2.731 pitchfork and torch wielders.

How come I know that precise number? I think you know the answer.

zC8juEM.jpg

Nobody revolts against me and lives.

While my problem is with the peasantry who doesn't know who they are trying to deal with, Charles manages to have some nobles slip away from his control. And no, I don't mean myself. I, at least, stay loyal to the Empire.

The naked cult in Apulia is something else. I would never leave something like that fester long enough to even reach the mind of the local lord.

Not that they stand a chance, but knowing Charles, it will make a great dent into the treasury. Fool.

mE4NYe1.jpg

Myself, I continue bringing rightful Burgundian land into my fold. Duke Childebrand was foolish enough not to give in to my demands before, and he does so again. Thinks he can count on my brother's support, too.

Philippe stands with me, though. I'm not calling him to arms, but he doesn't betray family. Likely he knows what would have awaited him if he did. I am twice victorious in Besançon, and Childebrand surrenders.

It is a pity that the Duchy of Burgundy can continue to exist outside the Kingdom of Burgundy, but I will have to live with that as long as there are more pressing matters to attend to. And as I said before, Italy takes priority with the advance of the Pope's lackeys.

ZnS166i.jpg

Besides, both Burgundies are already Francian territory.

Not involving myself with Custentin further cleaning up Brittany nor Charles taking back Vaucouleurs, I invite a peculiar woman into my chambers.

No, it is not the frivolous thing you may be thinking of right now! I don't need anyone but my wife for that. What use is it to take a risk... without any possible gain? As I said before our wedding, we make a good pair.
If we had a reigning Empress, there may be a gain to be had. But I digress.

I always make sure to personally greet any guests coming to my court. Displaced nobles, non-inheriting sons... it always keeps me up to date on the latest gossip in the Christian courts, and enables me to have a well-working network of spies feeding information back to Strasbourg.

How do you think I was able to deal with the product of stupidity in Brittany so quickly if I didn't have that network to count on? I am the King, and that also includes the shadows.

One of these guests is Eugenia di Segni. An older woman, whose apparently only interest is gorging herself during yet another feast. A good facade, which I nevertheless manage to look behind. The wine flowing during feasts has a tendency to loosen tongues, and Eugenia knows this very well. I may be able to learn a thing or two from her.

I couldn't care less if people like me. They only need to respect me and act as I want them to. That's why I do what I do. If I profit from something, I do it, other consequences be damned.

Eugenia is impressed by my philosophy, and promises to support me – the Pragmatic King, as she'll come to call me.

7oxCSza.jpg

Others have less flattering nicknames for me.

Her advice is to terrify people. “Control can be achieved by being feared or loved. If you are feared, people won't act against you because of the retaliation that awaits them. If you are loved, people don't want to act against you.

Your Majesty, you have already taken steps towards the easier, first option. It is the option with the higher risk, but also the higher reward. Continue on that path, and even the Emperor will follow your every order.”

If she knew that Charles is already dancing to my tune... Either way, she is right. My respect comes through fear.

Still, I can't neglect Italy, and so send my men to collect Como. Countess Micaela puts up some token resistance, but her men hastily retreat when faced with my army, and so we simply take the county without much bloodshed.

IBkEle2.jpg

More blood has been shed in East Francia. Ludwig VI now fully lost any right to pretend to that crown, as Jarl Gandalfr of Angria ravaged his northern lands. In the aftermath, the lords in the south of the defunct kingdom declared their vassalage null and void.

More opportunities for me. But first, I have to come to Duke Thomas' defence in Anjou. Ruling with fear is good, but I shouldn't neglect such an important and traditional alliance.

HrrIhAQ.jpg

Having saved Thomas from his greedy vassals, I turn my attention towards the rich city of Genoa. Sadly, Duchess Maria died quickly after my declaration of war, leaving her lands to be inherited by her granddaughter, Queen Cassia of Sardegna e Corsica.

I wonder if the Italians will already dislike me merely for being a man. They seem to be accustomed to female rulers. Bah, who cares.

My problem is twofold: One, a defeat in Genoa. The Queen had a number of mercenaries at her side, and while my men held the ground well enough, I had to concede defeat after being wounded as the young Duke of Transjurania fell.

jz0iFS8.jpg

Retreating to Milan, I was sadly quite close to Papal lands, and Silvester III's emissaries kept pestering me. “Join the crusade, join the crusade! For the glory of God!”

“Where to?”

“The Holy Land, of course!”

“Isn't Jerusalem a Christian kingdom?”

“Well, yes. Coptic, to be precise.”

“Do you want to attack fellow Christians?”

“Heavens, no! Even if the prospect is appealing to some cardinals.

“Then who are you fighting?”

“The heathen Abbasid scourge!”

“Perhaps I lack spiritual wisdom, but I don't understand. What for?”

“Most of Oultrejourdain!”

“So, let me get it right. His Holiness wishes to send thousands of men to their deaths for a little piece of insignificant desert.”

“Not insignificant desert! A precious part of the Holiest Kingdom in Christendom!”

“Which is in Coptic hands...”

“For a new crown, of course!”

“... good luck finding a would-be king of nowhere.”

“His Holiness expects contribution, even if it is not in warriors of Christ...”

The emissary smiled, looking towards the chest two servants carried behind him. I may have threatened to stuff him into the chest with a gag and send him back to Rome.

While I didn't do it, Silvester's response comes swiftly. I am apparently a disgrace to Christendom – twice.

I find it telling that His Holiness doesn't pick the sharpest weapon in his arsenal and excommunicates me. My reputation must precede me if he stops at a strongly worded message.

My heir Raynaud looks like he won't become a friend of the church any time soon after that episode.

5W4yohU.jpg

Silvester truly hates Arnoul – the event (with its repercussions!) fired twice.

Speaking of whom, Raynaud's betrothal brings in Gascognian troops, and we end up slaughtering the Sardinians. Interestingly, the mercenaries they have employed are Alsatians, professing to follow in Duke Raynaud the Exile's footsteps.

They won't carve out a realm for themselves against me, in any case. Genoa's riches will flow into my treasury forthwith, which leaves me with too much land in my direct control. According to everyone around, at least.

XK6tXyM.jpg

Thus I name my newborn son Raymond Duke of Savoy. If anyone believes that he's the actual ruling Duke, they need to get their mind checked. But it makes people happy, and keeps me in control.

Maurice d'Angoulême is the poor sod who'll have to lord over the forlorn desert, but I'm sure the Muslims won't let him “enjoy” his new position of “power” for long.

QVHgak6.jpg

A step up from the crusade for Lotharingia – now fought for THREE counties!

But that success gives some of my vassals ideas. Count Ernst of Zurich decided that he should be treated to an extravagant feast by Baron Guilhem upon his return from the crusade.

Guilhem on the other hand didn't remember having promised to pay for it, and demands that Ernst should pay for the banquet. He should have brought back enough riches from crusading for that.

Ernst replies that he at least fought for the glory of Christendom instead of sitting in his castle twiddling his thumbs.

Guilhem draws breath to respond, but is interrupted by me, loudly clearing my throat.

“I can think of plenty of things I'd rather do. But no, two of my sworn men decide to come to me for some inconsequential matter and keep droning on when it is clear from the very first word how I will judge that matter!”

“See, I am...”, Count Ernst starts.

“Silence! The king speaks!” The guard glares at him. I glare at him. Guilhem... cowers. Ernst follows his example.

“I opposed that senseless crusade. Anyone thinking of the matter beforehand knows that this endeavour doesn't entitle one to anything within my kingdom.”

Guilhem smiles and bows.

“I am not done.” The manner in which I pronounced these words gets their absolute attention. Oh, you know what I mean. “The next time, I shall make you acquainted to the tools I have at my disposal for truth-seeking. Believe me, I would judge based on nothing but the truth. Have I made myself clear?”

Both bow, acquiesce, and make a hasty retreat.

They shall not bother me again.

ravNNOj.jpg

Perhaps Emperor Charles III will. His father died as soon as he declared war on the Hakamid Malikate. And this new Emperor seems to already be well-acquainted with the tools I mentioned. Of course he's a dwarf, and one with ever-changing opinions to boot. I feel like he'll be harder to work with than his father.

Additionally, he's been blessed with three children.

“Blessed”.

It's an open secret that one's stranger than the other. And of course, his heir Loup is yet another dwarf. The Age of Dwarves for Francia isn't over yet.

I wonder if one of my descendants will have to control a stuttering, dwarfish Emperor with three eyes and one arm. With these Karlings, anything's possible.

34YTfpD.jpg

Unsurprisingly, nobody wanted to marry them – at least while they weren't the children of the Emperor.

• 1Haha
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, this chapter gave me a good laugh. What is that trait though, I can't tell?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Before I forget it, support your favourite authAARs and go vote for your favourite AARs in the Q4 ACAs!
Any vote is welcome, and not only do the ACAs offer additional motivation for the authAARs, but they also represent a good place to find your next read.

Well, this chapter gave me a good laugh. What is that trait though, I can't tell?
The one of the Karlings, I assume? Inbred ;) .

Reactions:
The one of the Karlings, I assume? Inbred ;) .
I'd guessed it would be something like that. Also twins where one is a dwarf and one isn't, that is quite an unusual feat to say the least. (Also in the screenshot it looks like Charles III's wife has some nasty black eyes, but it's always hard to tell what is deliberate and what is just bad art from Paradox?)

I quite like King Arnoul, he is at least enjoying himself and if things continue to go well he will be a key example in Machiavelli's The Prince. The more the Karling dynasty in Francia deteriorates genetically, the more they will depend on their 'strong right arm' of House Etichonen to hold things together. The plan proceeds well, maybe not exactly as Eberhard had foreseen it, but close enough to the intent.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'd guessed it would be something like that. Also twins where one is a dwarf and one isn't, that is quite an unusual feat to say the least.

Yes...

Never happens again.

Yes.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I see the world is devolvijg into bordergore exactly as expected. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, Arnoul is ruthless.

The Catholic AI (Pope) is stupid. It's useless desert! Give to regular Jerusalem.

Reactions:
I'd guessed it would be something like that. Also twins where one is a dwarf and one isn't, that is quite an unusual feat to say the least. (Also in the screenshot it looks like Charles III's wife has some nasty black eyes, but it's always hard to tell what is deliberate and what is just bad art from Paradox?)

I quite like King Arnoul, he is at least enjoying himself and if things continue to go well he will be a key example in Machiavelli's The Prince. The more the Karling dynasty in Francia deteriorates genetically, the more they will depend on their 'strong right arm' of House Etichonen to hold things together. The plan proceeds well, maybe not exactly as Eberhard had foreseen it, but close enough to the intent.
At least they are all inbred. Interestingly, ever since dwarfism became a thing for the Karlings, it's been mostly present in the male line. The females are mostly normal (well, save for this cursed generation).

I think the Empress is wounded. Arnoul didn't really care much for her, so I didn't pay much attention, but it's deliberate.

He definitely qualifies for The Prince with his ruthless pragmatism. And with the Karlings already coming close to Charles II of Spain, it's becoming useful that the possessed right arm can think for itself :p .

Yes, everything is back on course after Raynaud's setback. The current Karling surprise is to commit genetic suicide. I am looking forward to their next one.

Yes...

Never happens again.

Yes.
Now that's ominous. Hmmm...

I see the world is devolvijg into bordergore exactly as expected. :D
Interestingly, it's fairly tame here, thanks to the bigger realms. I've seen far, FAR worse.

Well, Arnoul is ruthless.

The Catholic AI (Pope) is stupid. It's useless desert! Give to regular Jerusalem.
He definitely is.

The crusade targets are crazy. First two counties for Lotharingia, now three in Jerusalem. And as I fully expect the crusader kingdom to be very short-lived, if the next crusade doesn't get redirected somewhere sensible, it will very likely just be a repeat performance.
We may get close to a ritual bloodsport every thirty years, at least until Coptic Jerusalem either
  • gets conquered
  • conquers the region
  • converts to Catholicism.
As they've managed to take and hold Egypt, that may take a while.

Reactions:
Ch.16 - The Emperor's new job
Ch.16 - The Emperor's new job

Things are calm for a while, which is a nice change of pace. My treasury needs to recover before my next campaign, and so I can spend my time getting a good look at Charles III. From the comfy position as his spymaster.

On one hand, it's a good choice. I'm clearly capable. Few are those who would dare act against me, and with the appointment of Godefroy of Aquitaine as Marshal, Charles might think that he's appeased the majority of the realm already. Especially as it is my brother who leads the newly founded liberty faction, and Philippe wouldn't do anything without my approval.

On the other hand, if ever His Imperial Highness might think of doing something which I don't approve of, he leaves himself basically defenceless. Doesn't matter if you interpret that as trust given in advance or an attempt to appease, I do like that.

Then again, I could also force him to give me that position, so he's likely just chosen not to delay the inevitable. Though the position of steward – or chief embezzler – would hold it's appeal too.

wvotcqb.jpg

Just as I think I've got a good read on him, Charles decides to lead the troops against the hopelessly overwhelmed Muslims on a whim.

Good. Leaves me free reign to build up my reputation even more, using Almodis' bastard as unwitting pawn. Merely by parading her around at court, I remind my fellow vassals about the countess' fate. Speculation does the rest.

Who knew that I spend my nights in her cell, doing a multitude of different things, one more terrible than the other? Soon enough, nobody dares speak in my presence, which is when I declare that it's a job well done and head home, my network of spies in place.

dyzeffQ.jpg

I return to find my heir greeting me, a man grown. Raynaud shows some promise as a leader of men, but mostly so in battle. Unpredictable and full of disdain for the church, he is a good candidate to continue our legacy, but he's also a reminder of why we live in the Age of the Dwarves.

No, he's not one himself! But he's still a small man. Perhaps he will still grow. Valence is called a giant woman by many, and I myself am still towering over her and basically everyone I've ever seen, even though nobody calls me a giant.

Raynaud doesn't have my natural presence to emphasize his actions. I predict that he may have a hard time at first. Philippe offered to celebrate his coming of age in town, but knowing his... preferences, I preferred to take him up on that personally.

A good night, further improving our sibling bond.

q9gtGqd.jpg

Yellow line for size comparison. Arnoul is a very imposing man. His second son (Raymond, Duke of Savoy) actually is a giant (child).

Oh, and I did mention dwarves again, didn't I? Well, sometimes you need to go with the flow in these matters. I have my very own court dwarf now. Duchess Tiburge of Transjurania is half my size and my new Marshal.

Sounds ridiculous, but she's surprisingly competent and actually my best choice for the office. I've sent her to quash any unrest in my new Italian lands.

There's a plethora of possible reactions from the peasantry, but I like imagining the best ones. Being accommodating as they are accustomed to female rule. Outraged as I'm merely sending half a person to watch them. And either way, cowering in fear as the troops with her remind them that it is my reign they have to follow, and that I don't tolerate fools.

5hdMZHJ.jpg

A good, loyal council reflects a healthy reign. I'm well-placed on that front.

Speaking of which, Countess Agalina of Brescia, Trent and Padua thought herself capable to fend off my army. Well, her titles are easier to list now, and Raynaud managed to earn his first victory, hopefully of many. He did well, and people start to speak of the Etichonen name as a dynasty of conquerors.

That will make it easier to convince people that we actually do have an excellent reason to enforce our rule in foreign lands.

tqnFHnV.jpg

In more... domestic matters, my close watch of the Emperor keeps paying off. Getting his youngest daughter to blabber out familial secrets is as easy as taking sweets from a baby – which is unsurprising, as she behaves like one in many ways. “Cruel innocence”, I think one may call it.

It helps that Charles is completely blind to his children's countless faults. He dotes hopelessly on Prince Loup, and often gesticulates at head height... probably in a futile attempt to get noticed.

The people at court either describe him as perceptive (an opinion I can hardly share, looking at his progeny) or impotent. Not just to my face, also to my spies. One story especially shines through, related to me by one of my many ears at court:

They say that once, I collided with the Emperor while walking to a council meeting, sending him flying, and just kept going without even noticing, with Charles sending an apology after me. Ha! That's what I want to hear. Even if not completely true, there's a grain of truth – I did kick Charles' father once, but I noticed. The part about the apology is completely true.

YbxFwlI.jpg

My mistake was involving the Empire's Patriarch. That old fool must have blabbered out something to Charles while he was in a mood to change things, and the Emperor was emboldened enough to actually denounce my efforts.

His sudden backbone makes it clear that I won't be able to push him around like everyone else. Which may be a problem, especially if he wants to move against me.

Well, I can't let that happen now, can I?

hmusESd.jpg

In any case, preparation is key. And it might be a good idea to fool Charles into thinking I am otherwise occupied.

So I deploy smokescreens. Everywhere. My men march against Speyer, lulling Charles into a sense of false safety.

Count Milon is persuaded to seek independence. The son of the instigator of the War of the Dwarves is easily fooled into thinking that his great father wouldn't want him to answer to the Emperor whose influence he so vigorously fought. Milon has no chance to actually succeed, but it diverts Charles' attention.

Then I release my insane prisoner Carlo Cambiano, and send him to court. The man is smart, even if time in my dungeons wasn't kind to him. Which makes him the perfect agent. Mad enough that few pay attention, smart enough to notice his surroundings and report to me.

That way, I manage to learn that Theodoulos Makedon, the Emperor's nephew, isn't only at court, but has close bonds with his uncle. I learn a lot about Charles' habits – and am free to walk the personal quarters without suspicion to meet with my “friend”.

NXspMRk.jpg

So I have access, know the routines, and am perfectly placed to strike. To Charles' great relief, I announce that I am marching against Bavaria, for Sankt Gallen. Taking on a kingdom for a single county without great significance – that doesn't appear to be a smart move.

But I have my reasons, and my alliances are ready. If it makes my enemies wonder if I slowly deteriorate from my dangerous course of pragmatic efficiency, all the better.

I insist on having a great feast before I leave first thing in the morning. The Imperial guards make an effort not to participate, but it clearly tires them out, and gives a bunch of my people a chance to distract them under the guise of drunken revelry.

And when the moment is opportune, we snatch the Emperor, and he takes place, bound and gagged, in a chest, allegedly filled with special documents pertaining to my role as spymaster.

It's a good thing he's a dwarf.

When I leave in the morning, the Emperor's absence is seen as yet another sign that we grow distant. It's likely that some of his men already have orders to prepare to march against me. If they knew that he was actually present at my departure! Ha!

cylKsiR.jpg

The Empire's in my hands now.

I leave behind a capital soon to be in turmoil, and join my army, advancing deep into Bavarian territory without sighting the enemy yet.

A few weeks later, I announce that Charles is in good health and good care. To Prince Loup, who's honestly not a danger at all, I send word that his father wishes to play hide-and-seek, and that as long as he isn't found, I shall take the reins of Francia. The young man, who has the mental capacity of an at most ten-year-old, apparently happily nods and starts the search.

Everyone else understands. My vassals start to provide higher taxes too, anything to prevent me from striking against them. I've pulled off a truly excellent scheme.

My heir on the other hand still has a lot to learn. He's been planning my permanent guest Almodis' demise. Probably hoping that I would then grant him Cambray to hold in my stead. Well, everything that episode taught me is that I better keep him where I can watch (and teach) him.

The clerics of the realm also show that they are incapable of keeping anything secret. Prince-Bishop Landari of Nice is not only hopelessly unsuited to his post (a godless villain, Waldemar says) – he keeps his sister as his lover.

I believe I shouldn't have to worry about a priest lecturing me any time soon.

ZM1OoUp.jpg

The war against Bavaria goes well, and as we near Ludwig VII's capital, I can finally force him into battle. With Gascogne and Anjou at my side, the field is mine, and the king surrenders Sankt-Gallen into my hands. Or rather Count Ernst of Zurich's, whose claim I pressed.

wO3ZkY2.jpg

Now, why did I do this? You may recall that Ernst's heir, Mainard, is the Duke of Steyermark. Which would mean that Burgundy loses Ernst's lands upon either one's death.

But not if Ernst holds a duchy and inherits another one. Then Bavaria would lose Steyermark – to me. And the duchy is quite large, which makes it an attractive goal.

Saint-Gall was the piece I needed to elevate Ernst to Duke of Coirhétie (Correzia). And as, for some reason not in any way connected to me, Mainard married fairly late – and an older woman at that – he still is childless.

It would be a pity if anything happened to him.

4KMh6I1.jpg

While Charles nags, and tries to bribe his way out of my hospitality – why would I? – I tell him that the Muslims in Iberia smelled an opportunity. They want to take Gascogne from the leaderless Empire. I assure him that they won't. The money he tries to ransom himself with has better uses, doesn't he think?

No, he doesn't. Pity. Well, I can leave dealing with the suicidal Countess of Trent and Padua, who attacked the Papacy, to Raynaud while I coordinate Francia's defence.

You're welcome, Charles.

Also, I am further simplifying the old woman's list of titles. She appears to be losing it. So she can thank me as well.

SworuBS.jpg

Merchants are always a good source of information, and so my network includes plenty of these travelling men. I've been waiting for news from Steyermark for a while now, and so I've been a little disappointed that he could only report that Duke Mainard was bedridden for a while.

I can only hope my men learn from the experience. Speaking of which, I've begun to make use of the old tools in the torturing chamber. Not for pleasure, mind you. Half of what the people say there is nonsense, but the rest – can be very valuable information. I intend to make use of any source of information.

And that keeps Charles busy, who actually enjoys this. If I was willing to brag, I could claim that the most powerful man of Catholicism is my personal torturer.

One example of useful knowledge is Ispella de Aristanis. She's a practitioner of witchcraft – which might have come I handy for my men in Steyermark who misjudged the dose of poison for Duke Mainard.

1A7Hss2.jpg

Luckily, the next attempt is more effective. More primitive, certainly, but that doesn't matter. Mob justice – well, that can't happen to me.

HlNlS4B.jpg

Either way, my kingdom grows. My influence reaches far. And the Emperor himself lives only by my grace.

Actually, the most powerful man of Christendom isn't Charles, nor the Basileus. No matter how you look at it - it's me.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The Etichonens are the true rulers here.

If the Karlings deny that, well, they won't.

Reactions:
All is going exactly according to plan, I shall watch your genius unfold safe and sound in Scotland.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Actually, the most powerful man of Christendom isn't Charles, nor the Basileus. No matter how you look at it - it's me.
...but will it last? Or will he fall?

Reactions:
The Etichonens are the true rulers here.

If the Karlings deny that, well, they won't.
Exactly. Charles can deny it as much as he wants, he's their "guest". And Loup... isn't familiar with the concept of ruling.

All is going exactly according to plan, I shall watch your genius unfold safe and sound in Scotland.
It does. Watch safely :).

Wow! really getting the most out of the Intrigue mechanisms. Will have to read and watch more closely so I can up my game....
There may be one or two tricks of the trade to be found here, but keep in mind that I'm not playing for optimal success (going with Hupold's French is one example). But as Arnoul's intrigue score is close to 30, he definitely knows what he's doing.

While all focus trees are strong, going with intrigue lets you deal with your enemies easily and maxes out your dread basically for free, so you don't have to execute prisoners all the time if you want to go that way.

...but will it last? Or will he fall?
Good question. As long as Charles is in his dungeon, he can't do much - but perhaps other people will strike. And Loup may be unpredictable.

Reactions: