• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Though I haven't been able to catch up yet (I've been away for the last two weeks without WiFi,) I'm checking it to say that I'm very excited to see this back. I'll be sure to read all outstanding updates soon.

Also, how do you get one of those Infoboxes with BBCode? As far as I can tell, the little bit about Vėjopatis isn't an image...

Outstanding fighting there!! For a moment (in Ordulf I's days) I was worried the HRE would clobber you to death with its doomstack armies. But you appear to have turned the tide successfully.

Now that the CK2 converter to EU IV is almost out, will you continue this game in EU IV? :)

Though I haven't been able to catch up yet (I've been away for the last two weeks without WiFi,) I'm checking it to say that I'm very excited to see this back. I'll be sure to read all outstanding updates soon.

Also, how do you get one of those Infoboxes with BBCode? As far as I can tell, the little bit about Vėjopatis isn't an image...

Nice to see you again! You are right the Infoboxes are not images. It took me years of AARing to find out how to do that :)

If you go "Go Advanced" (you can do it in the normal normal "Quick Reply", though), go to the top left corner and click on "Switch Editor to WYSIWYG Mode". The "Table" line will become available. Then the left button of the "Table" line allows you to insert a table, which I use for the Infoboxes. If you switch back to the Source Mode then you see BBCode of the table. In the WYSIWYG Mode you can also paste a Word document.

Outstanding fighting there!! For a moment (in Ordulf I's days) I was worried the HRE would clobber you to death with its doomstack armies. But you appear to have turned the tide successfully.

Now that the CK2 converter to EU IV is almost out, will you continue this game in EU IV? :)

Welcome in the thread, JodelDiplom! I lost battles and lands to Ordulf I but at the end it cost him stability in the Empire because I have managed to destroy several imperial armies. Luckily Girdenis IV managed to marry one of his daughters to Ordulf II. Girdenis V now became an ally of the Empire.

I never thought about EU IV. I have not even played it. I will think about it.

Nice to see you again! You are right the Infoboxes are not images. It took me years of AARing to find out how to do that :)

If you go "Go Advanced" (you can do it in the normal normal "Quick Reply", though), go to the top left corner and click on "Switch Editor to WYSIWYG Mode". The "Table" line will become available. Then the left button of the "Table" line allows you to insert a table, which I use for the Infoboxes. If you switch back to the Source Mode then you see BBCode of the table. In the WYSIWYG Mode you can also paste a Word document.

Welcome in the thread, JodelDiplom! I lost battles and lands to Ordulf I but at the end it cost him stability in the Empire because I have managed to destroy several imperial armies. Luckily Girdenis IV managed to marry one of his daughters to Ordulf II. Girdenis V now became an ally of the Empire.

I never thought about EU IV. I have not even played it. I will think about it.
It's good that the CK2 campaign is almost at an end, because otherwise the claims that your daughter passed to the Emperor's family would come to haunt you terribly in the future :p

I found the "marriages for peace" concept to be a double-edged sword in CK2. The peace you get from having an ongoing betrothal is great, but once the marriage is concluded the AI is free again to attack you. And once the daughter has had children from their dynasty, unless you are under agnatic law there will always be the temptation for the AI to press the childrens' claims against you.

Two very deftly written updates. I'd do enjoy this AAR's slick style – I too would like to see it in EUIV. Even if you haven't played it yet (I sadly haven't teen able to, despite having had it on preorder for the last month. I chose the wring time to leave my normal computer! ;)) I'm sure having a few mishaps while ruling would only add to the appeal. After all, things are always more exciting when there's a mix of success and failure.

Looking forward to the resolution!

It's good that the CK2 campaign is almost at an end, because otherwise the claims that your daughter passed to the Emperor's family would come to haunt you terribly in the future :p

I found the "marriages for peace" concept to be a double-edged sword in CK2. The peace you get from having an ongoing betrothal is great, but once the marriage is concluded the AI is free again to attack you. And once the daughter has had children from their dynasty, unless you are under agnatic law there will always be the temptation for the AI to press the childrens' claims against you.

I did no know that. Now I understand why in another game my brother-in-law kept attacking me.

Two very deftly written updates. I'd do enjoy this AAR's slick style – I too would like to see it in EUIV. Even if you haven't played it yet (I sadly haven't teen able to, despite having had it on preorder for the last month. I chose the wring time to leave my normal computer! ;)) I'm sure having a few mishaps while ruling would only add to the appeal. After all, things are always more exciting when there's a mix of success and failure.

Looking forward to the resolution!

You are right. Usually the first games are the most unexpected because you have no clue about the game rules like in a real life. I just need to by a new PC now for EUIV, as Paradox games are getting more demanding.

King Girdenis V the Holy (Part II)

In June 1449, Lithuanian army invaded Venetian held western Hungary. Venetians, who still did not recover from the disastrous Crusade, could not effectively resist the invasion. One castle after another fell before the victorious march of Girdenis the Holy. A Venetian mercenary army was defeated by Vaisvilkas of Trakai at Mohacs on 14 November 1449. Another Venetian army was routed at Pest on 5 February 1450. Girdenis marched on Kakath and took it on 12 April 1450.

Girdenis’ mother, Queen Anele of Hungary was already weak for several years. For all those years, her vassals in Anatolia and Greece showed no loyalty and even openly revolted. However, with the help of Girdenis and some of her other allies the rebels were crushed. However, the Duchy of Athens was lost to Bulgaria on 25 February 1450.

On 19 May 1450, Queen Anele died. Girdenis the Holy inherited the Kingdom of Hungary or better say, what was left of the Kingdom of Hungary. The inheritance included some lands in Anatolia, Crete and Cyprus, and Varangian Guard of Queen Anele. Upon the receipt of the news, Doge Attilio surrendered on 21 May 1450. Lithuanian crown gained the rest of the Duchy of Pest as a result.

1453Lit1_zpsa95ae80b.jpg

Without the support of the Empire, Duke Georg of Nyitra became also very vulnerable. As the King of Hungary, Girdenis the Holy demanded fealty from Duke Georg. The duke refused to acknowledge the authority of Girdenis. A couple of months later Lithuanian army under Gediminas is Zubstovo marched on Trencsen. On 22 September 1450, Duke Georg and Grandmaster Comita of Hospital met Gedinimas. The Christians gave way, and though Georg Askanien held out for a while, it was soon clear that further resistance was impossible. Georg was captured. He swore fealty to Girdenis but was stripped of the title of Duke of Nyitra and made a vassal of Duke Vidmantas is Oroslavo of Nyitra.

In December 1450, Girdenis the Holy declared war against Queen Christina Crovan of Scotland, the usurper of Scottish throne, for the Prince Kenneth’s Crovan, Girdenis’ nephew and his son-in-law, who married Girdenis' eldest daughter Birute, claim on Scotland.

A fleet was assembled and left Klaipeda in May 1451. In June of 1451, the fleet reached shores of the Orkney Islands. Lithuanian army under Hetman Andrzej Subislawowic of Amstrine and Vidmantas of Nyitra landed at Birasy and captured the castle. Hetman Andrzej of Amstrine was a bastard son of Duke Pukuveras II Gediminaitis of Turov and Duchess Nadzieja Subislawowic of Pomeralia. He was young but proved himself leading armies in Greece and Anatolia against Hungarian traitors. For his services he was awarded the Barony of Amastrine in Herakleia and soon became the Hetman of Lithuania and Hungary.

On 1 July 1451, 33,000 men strong Scottish army under Duke Laurence Dunkeld of Albany arrived and met 44,000 men strong Lithuanian army at Kirkwall. Duke Laurence was outmanoeuvred by Hetman Andrzej who showed his military brilliance. Lithuanian Knights of the Black Horse routed Scottish cavalry, pursued and then attacked the rear of Scottish army. Scots panicked and fled. 20,000 Scots laid their heads in the battlefield or fleeing while Andrzej lost only 2,000 men. That was one of the most successful battles in Lithuanian history.

1453Lit2_zpscdae51f7.jpg

13,000 Scots managed to escape Orkney but were later defeated at Thurso by 5,500 men under Dausprungas Gediminaitis son of Duke of Moskva.

In November an army of Teutonic Knights landed at Perth. Vidmantas of Nyitra separated from the main army and intercepted crusaders before they could join Duke Laurence. The Knights were ambushed on 16 November 1451. 4,500 men were slaughtered only 3,000 managed to escape. Lithuanians lost only 55 men. Hochmeister Gottschalk was wounded and captured in the battle.

1453Lit7_zps28a2e393.jpg

The Battle of Perth
Knight of The Black Horse spears Hochmeister Gottschalk the Fat
of the Teutonic Knights

1453Lit6_zps3e9a81de.jpg

On 16 April 1452, the remnants of Duke Laurence army and Teutonic Knights were caught at Golspie. 31,000 men under Hetman Andrzej assaulted heavily entrenched 10,000 Scots. The battle was very bloody for Lithuanians. More than 5,000 lost their lives. However, Scottish resistance was broken and Queen Christina pleaded for peace. She acknowledged Kenneth Crovan as the rightful King of Scotland.

1453Lit3_zps65833f56.jpg
1453Lit8_zpseec2494f.jpg

Girdenis the Holy requested King Stanislav II of Bulgaria to return the Duchy of Athens to Duke Konrad Szakoly of Aegean Islands. King Stanislav II refused to submit to demands and Girdenis declared war on 25 May 1452. Lithuanian armies soon invaded the northern Bulgaria.

Duke Laurence of Albany soon found out about the war and on 30 June 1452 rebelled against King Kenneth IV of Scotland. The King’s army was annihilated at Crieff. The rebels soon captured the County of Gowrie and 32,000 besieged the Castle of Cupar personally defended by King Kenneth IV.

Girdenis realised his mistake leaving King Kenneth IV and an army of 19,000 men was assembled at Danzig. Unfortunately the main armies were in Bulgaria.

1453Lit5_zpsbe05d8f9.jpg

The Kingdom of Sweden became divided under the rule of old weak unmarried and childless Queen Ragnhild af Erik. The war for the independence of Finland ended in a victory of the Duke Faste of Finland. However, the independency was not enjoyed for long. Soon independent Duke Arnfast af Erik the Great of Norrland conquered Finland.

Duchess Beatrice Plantagenet became a duchess after the early death of her farther Duke Gerald II. It was suspected that he was assassinated in 1441 under the orders of King Thomas because Duke Gerald II was the leader of Cathars.

Religious prosecutions against Cathars followed and in 1443, Cathars revolted under Duchess Beatrice. Soon Wales, Hereford, Gloucester and London joined the cause. The war already lasted 10 years and the end is not visible yet. If Cathars will lose it will be their last fight for religious freedoms.

1453Lit4_zps20c6a857.jpg

Last edited:
good update, but wait, the game ends at 1453 right?

Yes , it is. I want to write the last update, the spread of paganism and Gediminids together with the last world review. There is also some thougts about converting to EU4.

However, I met some problems. I was a bit impatient and updated CK2 with the last update. Unfortunatelly, I can not longer open my 1.08 save files. I can go back to 1.08 but that makes me worry that EU4 converter will be not compatible too with 1.08.

Another fine update – and congratulations for reaching 1453. You'd be surprised how rare I see it happen. I'm actually yet to stick with a game all the way through myself...

Hopefully you'll get your update problems fixed, but in the meantime I'm looking forward to the final overview.

Epilogue

1454Lit9_zps4b907dc9.jpg

By the end of the Middle Ages, the House Gediminaitis had 558 known members. In 1453, there were 239 living members of the house.

The head of the house, King Girdenis the Holy became one of the most respectable and fearsome monarchs in the Old World. In 1453, he had 4 children. The eldest daughter Birute became the Queen of Scotland. Girdenis’ 15 year old son Svitrigaila was very close to reaching maturity.

1454Lit5_zps0820b988.jpg

Most of Gediminaitis pagan families lived in the Kingdom of Lithuania. Some of them moved to Hungary. Duke Skirgaila of Samos, descendant of King Girdenis the Ill-Ruler and Dukes of Moskva, was the first Lithuanian duke in Greece though.

A few Gediminaitis, however, left Lithuania and settled in the Holy Roman Empire mostly in Italy. Some of their descendants became important dukes, such as:

Duke Gerhard II of Sardinia, Germanised descendant of Duke Vaisvilkas the Cruel and Counts of Arborea;

Duke Karl of Beneveto, Seneschal of Holy Roman Empire Germanised descendant of Vaisvilkas the Cruel and Dukes of Sicily.

Duke Reinhard of Alsace, Carinthia and Apulia, Cupbearer of Holy Roman Empire, Germanised descendant of King Girdenis III and Duchess Engeltraud the Great, the third most influential men in the Holy Roman Empire.

1454Lit8_zpsd7155dfe.jpg

King Girdenis the Holy, was a pious men. He built a large temple to Velnias in Kiev in place of old Slavic temple of Veles, expanded Žemyna’s temple, built by his mother in Zagreb and built numerous smaller temples across the kingdom. As the Highest Krivis of Lithuania he helped a lot to spread Lithuanian pagan faith. During his rule, the faith reached Cyprus and even Scotland. He managed to defeat a Crusade and sack Rome.

1454Lit6_zpsf2ae2cd8.jpg

Romuva Temple*

1454Lit1_zps0b3582d5.jpg

1454Lit4_zps6ec9a719.jpg

While Lithuanian faith was spreading Lithuanian culture remained isolated. The majority of Girdenis subjects spoke Slavic. Interestingly enough, German branch of Gediminaitis helped a lot to spread German culture in Italy. By 1453, most of south Italy spoke German.

Following successful Anatolian crusade many Swedes immigrated to Anatolia and established the Norman Kingdom of Anatolia, which successfully defeated subsequent Muslim invasions. Bulgarians were also successful at defeating Muslims and expanding their kingdom in Asia Minor. Many of them then moved to Armenia Minor. Following unification and expansion of the Kingdom of Aragon, many Catalans established themselves in Algeria and Tunisia.

1454Lit2_zps629a2143.jpg

While Lithuanian culture was not spreading, Lithuanian laws and customs became dominant in Slavic parts of the kingdom. Following the unification with Hungary, Lithuania became the biggest power in the Old World and only united Christendom could withstand it.

1454Lit3_zps3babcf4e.jpg

1454Lit7_zpsbd0cae5b.jpg

* It is a picture of Romuva Temple. The image was created after 16th-century account of Simon Grunau.

Last edited:
An Amazing AAR! Congrats on finishing! I hope you return to Hearts Of Iron III soon.

P.S. Like Densley would say, HUZZAH!

Another fine update – and congratulations for reaching 1453. You'd be surprised how rare I see it happen. I'm actually yet to stick with a game all the way through myself...

Hopefully you'll get your update problems fixed, but in the meantime I'm looking forward to the final overview.

Thank you, DensleyBlair. I usually get bored to play until 1453, but this time the starting date 1236 was very good to keep me busy and stop me before Lithuania blobbed. However, I really wanted to see the Scottish rebellion outcome. AI just chose a perfect timing.

Bravo! Very well done, and congratulations on finishing!

Congrats!

An Amazing AAR! Congrats on finishing! I hope you return to Hearts Of Iron III soon.

P.S. Like Densley would say, HUZZAH!

Thank you guys! Belgiumruler, I am planning to go back to Hearts of Iron II and finish ARRs I started too after my holiday.

Congratulations! That was a great story of Lithuania and how it made it to the modern age.

Did you actually ever get to reform the Romuva faith?

I was playing a vanilla game before the Old Gods expansion. I had no option to reform the Romuva faith. However, I think I would have no chance to do that because Rugen was far from my reach in the extremely strong Holy Roman Empire.

Brilliant end to a great AAR. Forgive me if this has been answered before, but have you got plans to continue the game in EUIV?

I thought about the idea but I am afraid the converter is incompatible with the 1.08 save version. The 1.08 version can not be started even with 1.111 v game :(