• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Turn 6: Orders and Resolution

Turn 6: Orders and Resolution

Both the Milan and Venetian fortresses have been breached. Assaults of the defenders in those doomed cities will commence immediately as there is no longer a defense bonus from the fortifications.

General Difanti meets no resistance and takes Venice without the loss of a single soldier.

Turn6-VeniceFalls.jpg

(Fall of Venice)

Napoleon, utilizing 12 regiments of captured Austrian artillery makes short work of the Milanese defenses. 615 Frenchman are lost in the assault along with the death, wounding or capture of the remaining 40,000 Austrian defenders. In all, we have captured more than 112,000 Austrians.

Turn6-AssaultofMilan.jpg

(Assault on Milan)

Turn6-MilanFalls.jpg

(Capture of Milan)

Shortly after the fall of Venice the Austrians capitulate and we win a major victory.

Turn7-Victory.jpg

(Major Victory)

I think you won on turn 1 when you shattered their army. Very nicely done!

I believe one of the problems with PoN, at least the Battle Scenario, is the amount of casualties in battle. Armies tend to be anniliated in a couple battles, which in my opinion makes the war less interesting, less "complex", and less historical. The casualties of the Austrian iin some of the battles you won are just not realitistic (not to mention : game breaking).

The biggest battle of the Austro-Piedmontese war involved about 160,000 men on each side and ~40,000 casualties total, so 12.5% casualty rate. Casualties seemed to be twice as high in turn 1. The combats after the first battle (Piedmont v. Austria at Alessandra) are not fair to analyze since the Austrian AI got its shattered army trapped and it was just beaten down. Turn 1 definitely saw higher casualties than IRL in the first battle, and I do not know how feasible it is, but having a shattered Austrian army loose 40-50% of strength in the subsequent battles and eventually get wiped out is not unrealistic.

Nice AAR Stonewall,
and great victory too.

I hope it will contribute to spride knowledge of this game among the paradoxian community.

About casualties, my feeling is that they are too high indeed, even if the Second Italian War of Independence is well known for its bloodshed.

In this AAR we have for:
1st battle turn 1.....40% casualties !!!!
2nd battle turn 1....no take in count (for the Austrian they were shattered)
battle turn 2....20%
battle turn 3....28%
average for 3 battles....29.3%

Maybe the developers could, at the end of resolution, transform half of the loss in further shattered/routed elements.

This will be enough to make loss closer to historical data for the period.

Regards

I also think casualties are high indeed, as I already wrote in the other PON aar section.
In my game as boer scenario despire attacking cautiously with all cavalry force, they were not able to retreat resulting whole 20-25 k men dead many times after testing same scenario.(Not a single cavalry element were able to retreat & stay alive after the battle) I tried to tick low battle animation but didnt help , just a superstitious idea ! :D
Other than that PON is a great game and this is well written posted aar,well done :)

Last edited:
looking at the combat values in the Spanish_American war AAR, they look a lot higher than I'm used to seeing in RoP etc. In one sense that is realistic in that an 1860 era rifled musket was far more deadly than a 1760 musket but tactics shifted as well. Even if armies still fought en-masse, they also used looser formations and far more use of skirmish lines. So a solution should be lower losses, due to more dispersed targets - in that a higher hit on organisation and a lower hit on direct losses may be the answer?

So a solution should be lower losses, due to more dispersed targets - in that a higher hit on organisation and a lower hit on direct losses may be the answer?

Yes it seems(didnt look all the units statistics in database,game) range damage/assault damage value of units is much higher then other agoed games while cohesion damage values are as usual. From what I understand , elements takes to much damage in the early turns that they are already destroyed when they decide to retreat?(though regulars have increased strenght points also such as 32). The unit with good initiative also has more advantage to inflict more casualties from increased damage values. (especially in Boer war scenario)

Last edited:
I think you won on turn 1 when you shattered their army. Very nicely done!

I agree. I played on after the victory to see how far I could go, and on one of the later turns, a massive Austrian army shows up in Trieste, but since the game was over, the ai turned off and it never moved. I think the key to my own victory was Napoleon moving so quickly on turn 1 that allowed me turn turn numerical inferiority into superiority before the Austrians could beat down my Italian forces..

Yes it seems(didnt look all the units statistics in database,game) range damage/assault damage value of units is much higher then other agoed games while cohesion damage values are as usual. From what I understand , elements takes to much damage in the early turns that they are already destroyed when they decide to retreat?(though regulars have increased strenght points also such as 32). The unit with good initiative also has more advantage to inflict more casualties from increased damage values. (especially in Boer war scenario)

Yes Boer War scenario losses are especially weird. I had battle where 100 000 Boers met 150 000 English. Result : say 20 000 dead Boers - and 140 000 dead English (the rest was captured artillery)... This was the most extreme, but all battles were all-or-nothing.

Maybe due to the fact that the Boer are mounted infantry... so maybe they have an high pursuit value.

In any case, the Risorgimento battle scenario is a bit boring : no room for manoeuver, and whoever won the first 2 or 3 battles win the war.

Indeed Narwhal, winning wars is sufficient no manoeuver necessary. :cool: Always liked grand campaign with good detailed corps,army structure ,OOB and bigger map to manoeuver.
About casualties, I have remembered our battles in ROP and my recent game in Rus against AI where Firunze was defending against 700 k germans with only 200 k troops. Casualties for Germans were 70k or 100k at most only after so many cohesion loss where they can not retreat properly.
In PON ,Cavalry has much assault damage value(5) but low strenght that can create interesting results in battles. I think game needs good balance about statistics values of the units through technological change to reflect different timeframes good.

Very good show. :)

I think there will be a lot more AARs popping up after the 1.02 patch.

As for the casualty rates, they can be adjusted if they are inaccurate.

The game has been patched a lot, and this AAR was played with the version 1.00, so the old version.

I cannot help you more - I believe the Pride of Nations players are a quite different base than the "other- AGEOD" players (like me), so relatively few people play both.

Ask on the PoN forum - it is quite active.

I'm a newbie of PoN and yesterday (1.02) I had this one (risorgimento) as my first non-tutorial game...after reaching the major victory (taking Milan) I just go on taking Venice,Udine (leaving the piedemontas there) and let the frenchs sieging Wien...I have some questions: how to assault a fortification during a siege (read as "tell me how to assault as arriving and assault after turns of siege), how to rise the "level" of a general? (from 1 or 2 stars to 2 or 3). During the game I haven't seen a single "newspaper" poping up...why? Is there some place where I have to search them?

how to assault a fortification during a siege (read as "tell me how to assault as arriving and assault after turns of siege),

You cannot assault a fortification with unbreached walls. The level of breach must be at minimum the same as the level of fortification. Then, just take assault posture.

how to rise the "level" of a general? (from 1 or 2 stars to 2 or 3).
When a general has gained enough seniority, there will be an option to do it (a small medal). The general must be the leader of his force (so it is a good idea to detach him).

During the game I haven't seen a single "newspaper" poping up...why? Is there some place where I have to search them?
Double-click on red messages in the message log.