The Results are In! - Virtual House of Commons Election [Chain-of-Command Stream 10-12 June]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings forumites!

Today was a raucus day in the House of Commons.

I'm going to repost some pictures here from @Addaway for those who don't use much social media (some coming from what MP's have dug up or made, for instance I found the Imperial Federation Sample Flag online, and while I'm mixed on the exact design, I love how it was used in the infographic):

This morning the House remained rather divided:
Overview of the House.jpg

To begin the day, the Right Honourable Taureor was confirmed as the House's selection for Prime Minister. Having now been formally called upon by His Majesty the King to form government.

Election Result Prime Minister.png

The CFP (which I am Secretary for Communications of) maintained its grip on power and led the introduction of several bills to the House.
Commonwealth First Party.jpg

These include The Defence of the Empire Bill (Supporting Global Defence Doctrine), The British Emergency (DLC) Austerity Act (measures for economic mobilization in case of renewed threats or conflict), and, in a closed session, the Naval Estimates for 1936, tabled by Mordred Viking, the new Lord High Admiral and First Lord of the Admiralty. Great efforts were made to make all three bipartisan efforts. I was involved, together with help from some notable Sootyites, in helping ensure there would be no 2/3rds majority to change clauses in these bills ("set in stone" clauses which are redundant since a simple majority could overturn these clauses anyways then make the changes they want). All are currently up for vote and are expected to pass with large majorities. However, a small but vocal minority of Sootyists have spoken against them.

Sootyite Party.jpg

Again, the actual parties are broader tents than either of these appear on their face.

The Elusive minister FeedbackGaming also made a brief appearance to greet the House, which was much appreciated. He has not yet delivered a maiden speech.

Debate turned rancorous near the end of the day and on the Speaker's direction, with some members frustrated over their lack of influence in drafting/crafting legislation. The House rose early (although still later than initially expected as extra time had been allotted to debate the new naval estimates). The Party leaders issued a joint statement calling for civility.

Several more bills are already in the works from our side of the House and the new Prime Minister has been most engaged and has been developing an ambitious agenda to secure the future of the nation.

God Save the King.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Both parties seem to want naval expansion, but are we going to limit ourselves to the standards of the naval treaty and what kinds of ships are going to be built exactly. I also see a disturbing lack of investment into electronics, where is our radar shield for the channel and Mediterranean, where our fleet is most vulnerable to air attack?

Reactions:
Apologies for the lack of specifics in this update, my loyal electors. Much is still subject to confidentiality and closed sittings of the House. Nonetheless I will do my best to relate to you the goings on of Parliament.

Both parties seem to want naval expansion, but are we going to limit ourselves to the standards of the naval treaty and what kinds of ships are going to be built exactly. I also see a disturbing lack of investment into electronics, where is our radar shield for the channel and Mediterranean, where our fleet is most vulnerable to air attack?

The position of HM's government on the Naval Treaty had been addressed in a proposed bill, but there has been some back and forth in priorities over political power.

Research priorities are still being developed and somewhat left to the cabinet to decide, but the Prime Minister has mentioned the importance of industrial and electronic research.
Plans are in place to secure our presence in the Mediterranean and to ensure we are adequately informed of foreign naval actions.

An eventful day in the House today.

The Global Defence and Emergency Austerity Acts were adopted by overwhelming numbers (24-4). As were the Navy Estimates and plans in the Admiralty Bill (20-4).

On military policy votes on Naval Doctrine pursuant to the Admiralty Bill, The Army Bill introduced by Minister Responsible for the Army Prussian Prince are currently before the House and seem set to pass convincingly.

On Imperial Policy, The Federation of the Empire Bill was introduced today, with myself being one of the co-sponsors. This was a key element of my election platform and that of my party, the CFP. This is a crucial bill to being able to maintain the Empire and compete industrially, resource-wise, and militarily with the other Great Powers. I have been opposing attempts to potentially leave Australia and New Zealand out of this Union (and indeed believe the union would be impossible in such circumstances - going by memory off old dev diaries, iirc only India can opt out).

Speaking of, we have a new and updated logo for the CFP, courtesy of MP Spartacus:

Commonwealth First Party Logo.png

Note: The motto is supposed to mean, "The Empire Strikes Back" - Putting the motto in Latin was one of my ideas, but none of us are good at Latin

Finally, an important and controversial bill was tabled on foreign policy. Its final name has not yet been determined. It proposes a bold and ambitious program in support of the Prime Minister's agenda, though there is little more that can be revealed at this point.

There was also great drama in the House as several, mainly CFP MP's broke away to form a new political party, the Parliamentary Reformation of Fair Independent Thought or PROFIT. Most of these MP's came from the CFP benches, leaving party numbers at roughly (though it is a bit hard to tell at present):

CFP: 13
Sootyites: 12
PROFIT: 4
Ind: 3
Plus the four members of cabinet (can vote besides on Prime Ministership).

This came as a surprise and represents a significant loss to our party, including of our resident artist Spartacus. While our party has always been a broad tent, and even broader with the many bipartisan initiatives it has pursued, some of its more recent legislation has raised greater controversy, especially given support for some of the Prime Minister's more "polarizing" policy goals. Nonetheless, little public discontent was raised within the party beforehand that I was privy to, and it is with great regret that I learnt it had happened (I was not in the House at the time it occurred). Whether And how much this inhibits the CFP’s and Prime Minister’s ability to drive the policy agenda remains to be seen.

While the new Party (or perhaps Parliamentary Group?) has eschewed a formal leader and for now has little platform besides enabling each MP to be independently thinking and opposing some of the recent proposals/mannerisms of the CFP and to a lesser extent the general toxicity of the two major parties, the walkout was commenced by the appropriately named MP Troppus, Lord of the 3rd Faction (probably should have seen it coming with that epithet tbh).

I have also been preparing a bill on air force policy and received bipartisan support, and later (though more reserved) tripartisan support. Hopefully there will be time for it to be proposed and voted on, although only a limited number of bills make it to the floor of the House each day.

Regardless of our individual differences in policy and method, all the House and Cabinet remain resolutely committed to securing victory in the wars to come. Session 1 begins tomorrow. God save the King.

• 2Like
Reactions:
For those of you disappointed in not seeing @Axe99 or @Secret Master on here, they were ineligible due to already being in the House of Lords.

Pip pip cheerio.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Dont know if this is the right thread: awesome first day, despite the devs might have extra work to some funny bug.

At least the plan kinda failed so the devs can save face here haha

What happened for those who haven't got a chance to watch yet?

Reactions:
Have only seen small pieces and most without sound, but it seems the Devs went Kaiser-Germany and the Players pulled off an 1938 war against AI Italy. :eek:
And got their ***** beaten. :eek::eek::D

I think they wanted to use the fact that non aligned Germany cannot help Italy, but as they attacked, they had no fuel and already lost a carrier and 2 beachheads in mainland Italy. They still have half of Sicily but 17ish percent war support... And couldn't get France to join.

Could be that I got something wrong. Just rewatch it!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I appreciate all the role playing write-up about house of commons etc. But how can I tell who is controlling each country? Which countries are Devs? (Edit: so it is devs as just germany (I thought each side had 2 countires) and youtube guys are UK?
Have only seen small pieces and most without sound, but it seems the Devs went Kaiser-Germany and the Players pulled off an 1938 war against AI Italy. :eek:
And got their ***** beaten. :eek::eek::D

I think they wanted to use the fact that non aligned Germany cannot help Italy, but as they attacked, they had no fuel and already lost a carrier and 2 beachheads in mainland Italy. They still have half of Sicily but 17ish percent war support... And couldn't get France to join.

Could be that I got something wrong. Just rewatch it!
I saw the invasion... umm, let's just say weak. I admit I haven't watched multiplayer games before, but I would never launch an invasion (and declare war) being that unprepared and weak. Lost a CV in the med and out of fuel with no war support at home. Not a good situation.

These are difficult times for our United Kingdom.

I appreciate all the role playing write-up about house of commons etc. But how can I tell who is controlling each country? Which countries are Devs? (Edit: so it is devs as just germany (I thought each side had 2 countires) and youtube guys are UK?

Yah, 4 devs co-oping on Germany, 4 Youtubers co-oping on the UK (and as the cabinet for RP). Around 30 MP's elected from various Paradox communities form the House of Commons which has some influence over the direction of the country.

I saw the invasion... umm, let's just say weak. I admit I haven't watched multiplayer games before, but I would never launch an invasion (and declare war) being that unprepared and weak. Lost a CV in the med and out of fuel with no war support at home. Not a good situation.

Mistakes were made. Already urgent committees have been looking into what went wrong and how the war may be turned around and won.

So loyal men and women of the Empire, as your representative I have good news, bad news, worse news and horrible news.

The Good News is that my Defence of the Skies and Air Force Modernization Act passed and set the way forward towards contesting the massive German air build-up.

The bad news is that there was some mix-up with focus setup. Let me explain. The France situation with France has come to pass since they were accidentally left to default instead of historical ai focus. To elaborate, default France has dynamic ai based on what Germany does to provide more challenge. It goes democratic if Germany stays fascist or goes Kaiserreich Focus on the True Enemy. IIRC it goes communist if Germany goes alliance in the shade, and fascist-Italian Alliance if Germany goes democratic). Until Germany makes a decision, the French ai just goes into a “holding” diplomatic stance and avoids committing to any political path. Test games and calculations by the cabinet may not have considered this, since the devs held off on going down their Kaiser focuses.

The worse news is that this meant we did not have the anticipated French support in our conflict with Italy. This, compounded with supply shortages from the Department of Munitions and Supply led to significant losses of British lives and material.

The tragic news is that while this happens, Germany continues to grow in strength and has restored the warmongering, though charmingly eccentric Kaiser to the throne.

However, even in these difficult times that try the souls of men, we must remain firm. Britain has weathered worse before and will do so again.

Our loyal armies have managed to secure Africa and part of Sicily (Africa especially important due to the number of "super VP's" in the region) and the liberation of Ethiopia from barbaric Italian clutches, undoing the travesty that occurred there during the Second Italo-Abyssinian War.

Our diplomatic efforts have helped to keep the Czecks out of the claws of the Kaiser and his Hapsburg cronies. The democracy-loving Czechoslovakians have aided us in these efforts.

With proper fuel supplies coming in, our navy is once again in fighting shape.

The House is now likely to authorize increases in conscription laws to ensure the military has sufficient manpower to see the conflict through to its conclusion.

The Prime Minister has taken direct control over production to solve the equipment issues that arose while different parts of the government vied for different priorities.

The War cabinet remains confident in victory. The lessons learned at great price during the initial landings have been steeply paid for and will not be forgotten.

The House has been in an uproar over the losses, with Sootyites and PROFITs calling for political heads to roll (metaphorically of course) and some CFP members denouncing them as unpatriotic. Both sides have descended into bickering and trying to score political points off of each other. Hopefully a spirit of wartime unity and purpose will be able to prevail, as it (briefly) did at the beginning of session and beginning of the conflict.

The road ahead is long and hard. The foes we face are vast and ruthless. But we are the beacon of liberty that shines in the darkness. This is not the end, for we are Britons. When we fall or falter, we do not give up or relent to bow before the boot of foreign oppressor. We redouble our efforts and recommit to strength and victory through all hardship and adversity. Our noble island nation has endured greater losses than these before, and may have to again in coming years. We shall not cower. We shall not flee. We shall rise to meet every challenge, prevail to overcome every foe. We shall continue to bring the fight to the iron spectre of tyranny, wherever it may rear its ugly head.

We will need your support, noble citizens of the Empire. On the streets, in the factories and armed forces, in the chat of Twitch, and on these forums. In the same words as the immortal signal from Horatio Nelson, England expects that every man will do his duty. Britons shall never be slaves. God Save the King.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
... is it too late for a change in course? If only we had gone with the corgis, none of this would ever have happened.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Both main UK parties are talking about how important the navy is - but where is the Royal Navy?

Is there green sea in the thyrrenean sea? You could easily take Sardinia (Airport!) and keep launching attacks on italian mainland from there, because the italian forces will be concentrated in Sicily.

And another question:
Is it really only Player Germany (the DEVs) and Player UK (the Hoi4 Players) and the rest AI?

Then it will be VERY hard for the UK.
A experienced player Germany will easily roll over the Soviet Union. And against a Germany that has the Soviet Union as puppet nobody can win.
Even A constallation: USA+Uk+France+all Allies minors players and Soviet Union AI against a player germany would be very hard.

I think in that situation your only chance is to get military access from the Soviet Union and put 120 Division (or how much is possible with supply) in 2 rows at the Stalin-Line.
And then go heavy tanks (because Germany has Mediums) and look if it's better to attack from Soviet Land or try a DDay when Germany is somewhat exhausted (if that ever happens against a Soviet Union AI).

And all without the USA sending infinite fuel, planes and manpower...

Maybe the DEVs allow a USA-hotjoin... :D

Reactions:
Both main UK parties are talking about how important the navy is - but where is the Royal Navy?

Is there green sea in the thyrrenean sea? You could easily take Sardinia (Airport!) and keep launching attacks on italian mainland from there, because the italian forces will be concentrated in Sicily.

And another question:
Is it really only Player Germany (the DEVs) and Player UK (the Hoi4 Players) and the rest AI?

Then it will be VERY hard for the UK.
A experienced player Germany will easily roll over the Soviet Union. And against a Germany that has the Soviet Union as puppet nobody can win.
Even A constallation: USA+Uk+France+all Allies minors players and Soviet Union AI against a player germany would be very hard.

I think in that situation your only chance is to get military access from the Soviet Union and put 120 Division (or how much is possible with supply) in 2 rows at the Stalin-Line.
And then go heavy tanks (because Germany has Mediums) and look if it's better to attack from Soviet Land or try a DDay when Germany is somewhat exhausted (if that ever happens against a Soviet Union AI).

And all without the USA sending infinite fuel, planes and manpower...

Maybe the DEVs allow a USA-hotjoin... :D

Remember that, while the House sets strategic priorities and general guidelines, actual tactics and deployments are handled by the war cabinet. That said, as it is becoming clear Italy will not be defeated as quickly as hoped invasions of other Italian possessions will probably be considered, especially now that Africa is secure.

I agreed about there being power imbalance. In fact, it’s part of the reason I have been pushing for Imperial Federation and supported early preemptive intervention to change the balance of power. Do remember though that the game is far from ”meta” though (or we would be facing total mob Germany by now).

If we did want to commit to keeping a front open, France or Italy are much more viable than the Stalin Line.

Do remember though that the game is far from ”meta” though
Question is if that makes holding France possible. It's quite a big risk to try that. Could result in heavy losses.

IF you are able to stop Germany from getting France it's of course better.

The front in Italy will make not much difference for Germany I fear. If Italy is AI it helps not nearly as much as a player, so not having it is not a big deal for Germany. The Med is already lost and they can use the coastal garrisons, that would normaly be needed for Italy, for an "Alpine defense wall".

But yeah... If I think again, considering the type of the game you have to try to hold France.

How do you plan to ally France?

Where is the link to see the videos? I have tried the links posted above, but the only videos that show up for HOI4 are the World War Wednesday replays. Everything else is mostly EU4.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reactions: