• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hopefully Haiti doesn't turn out to be too much of a pain. If it is, at least it will make for interesting updates!.

The choice to go dictatorship was mainly for the challenge of not getting that large, literate, immigration boost. Just because a dictator is in charge doesn't mean there won't be any politics though, so don't worry.

Thank you for the compliment! I'm not worried about the lack of comments; I'm having fun putting the AAR together and telling the story, so I'll be making updates regardless. If people enjoy them that's just a nice bonus.

Well I am reading, in fact you inspired me to play my own USCA game!

I went after Mexico and was doing really well till like Tanzhang says I started having crisis pop up continually. My advice would be to kick the UK out of your region as then they may not feel the need to intervene just to spite the US, cause eventually the US is going to start caving and you will lose land without a shot fired. Unless you can get to GP before 1900's.

I actually like your style, makes reading your AAR pretty interesting.

Keep at it!

Thanks, I will!

I love your updates so far and I see that you have that dog, Carrera, in charge as well.

Yeah, it just wouldn't be Central America without Carrera showing up somewhere. I wonder how they'll differ in our alternate universes.

Well I am reading, in fact you inspired me to play my own USCA game!

I went after Mexico and was doing really well till like Tanzhang says I started having crisis pop up continually. My advice would be to kick the UK out of your region as then they may not feel the need to intervene just to spite the US, cause eventually the US is going to start caving and you will lose land without a shot fired. Unless you can get to GP before 1900's.

I'm glad I could offer some inspiration. USCA is an interesting nation to play, especially if you give yourself some tough criteria. I'm hoping I can deal with the UK once I have the US firmly on my side and can put on a little muscle myself. Right now the UK would just ROFLStomp my little republic into oblivion.

chapter4.jpg

1840 - 1853​

"This is insanity, Rafael!"

Rafael Carrera leaned back heavily in his chair. "Our men are prepared, Benjamin. The plans will move forward"

Benjamin Araujo, the recently elected President of El Salvador, stared agape at Carrera, barely able to contain his frustration. "Colombia has ten thousand men on the border, and twenty thousand more able to march from Bogotá. They have a defensive alliance with Mexico, which gives them thirty thousand more men. They are prepared!"

Tension in the conference room where the council of Presidents met was thick.

"He's right, Rafael" a tall man with a thick black moustache and the frame of a thousand year old oak leaned over the table. "We admire your success against Haiti, but Colombia... We need more time."

Carrera slowly put his cigar to his lips and inhaled deeply. He exhaled a burly cloud of grey smoke.

"Fermin," Rafael addressed the tall man with a stern gaze. "When we rode together into the fort at Mataquescuintla, they said it was suicidal. But God delivered us victory. When we marched to San Salvador, we were told again that the odds were impossible, but again God delivered us victory. We ended the rebellions, and we welcomed all of Hispaniola into the Federation, all of this amid the cries of Congress telling us that it could not be done. God granted us victory."

Fermin Guzman, the President of Nicaragua and one of Rafael's famous eighteen riders, had little he could respond with, aside from a heavy sigh of resignation. "Then why are we bothering with the logistics of our army, when time would be better spent praying for another miracle instead."

The room slowly began to degrade into bickering and argument, with the men that felt war with Colombia would be disastrous arguing the Republic lacked the manpower and weapons. Carrera and his Vice President, Father Alexios Jimenez, ardently argued that they would be successful with careful tactics and faith in God. The argument ended when Rafael's fist slammed sternly on the table, knocking marble ashtrays and lit cigars into a spray of sparks and dust over the floor.

"I have made my decision!" Rafael growled. "We will allow for an additional month of preparation, but we cannot... will not wait any longer. Colombian occupation of Panama will end before the year is out."

The other men in the room sank into their seats, some smiling, others rubbing furiously at aching foreheads.

"Trust in God, amigos, and he will deliver. He has led me here, and it is his voice that commands my action. I will not disobey."

A distracting knock was heard on the door, followed by the slender frame of the Carrera's personal secretary. She briskly entered the room, placed a sealed document in front of Carrera, and barely audibly spoke "Es urgente, señor. Es una carta del General Chavez". She headed for the door, equally as briskly as the way she entered. Before she exited the room, she paused and turned, "The American ambassador is here to speak with you as well. Shall I ask him to wait in your office?"

"Si, si." Rafael brushed her away with his hand before picking up the sealed document and handing it over to Father Alexios. The Vice President opened the letter, briefly surveying the contents inside. He smiled and quietly laughed, tossing the letter on to the centre of the table.

"Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, God, have never forsaken those who seek you."

The contents of the letter were devoured by the council. It was a simple letter, but the effect it had on the mood in the room was profound. Brazil had declared war on Colombia, and was marching on Bogotá. Mexico dishonored the defensive alliance and would not send troops due to the threat of a fresh war with the United States over the Nevada Territory. A simple map, showing the extent of the Brazilian invasion, was attached.​

brazilinvasionmarch4184.jpg

Benjamin Araujo looked over the letter and settled into his chair, looking up to the sky half-expecting to see the Arch Angel Michael flying above him in the room.

"Trust in God, amigos, and he will deliver."

The plan of battle was quickly drawn up. All forces were moved from the north, under the likely assumption that Mexico would be too occupied with a rumoured invasion from the United States to assist their Colombian friends.​

colombiainvasionplan.jpg

The planned invasion of Colombia, showing the powerful march of the Brazilian army

Forces were quickly dispatched to march on the Panamanian city of David. The republican army met with limited resistance and quickly occupied the city.

capturedavidspet151840.jpg

David was home to the Exiled Central American President Morazán. He fled to Ecuador during the war.

Carrera split the army, marching next on Penonome and into Panama City itself. With the Colombian army decimated at the hands of the Brazilian invasion to the south-east, Central America's forces again had free reign to march into the cities unopposed. Within a year, Colombia was begging for peace. An official treaty was signed July 1st, 1841, granting the Republic control of Panama.​

endcolombiawarjuly1841.jpg

In an amusing aside, during the peace process the Brazilian treaty was accidentally
sent to Central America, and vice versa. Both sides apparently signed the documents
before realizing the error.

Over the next several months the newly acquired state would be slowly integrated into the Federation. Santiago Sinibaldi, a friend of Rafael Carrera's and another of his famous eighteen riders, was appointed as Panama's first President.

By December of 1841, Rafael proudly and triumphantly announced the official inauguration of the Eighth state into the Federation of Central America, the third under his Presidency. Carrera was able to capture Panama without even firing a single shot.​

regionmap1841.png

The next several years would be spent repairing the damage done over the last decade of rebellion and war. Rafael knew the state could ill-afford another military campaign, and international opinion of the Republic was at an extreme low. Even the United States, Central America's closest friend and trade partner, seemed hesitant to want to deal directly with the Republic.

Funds were redirected from the military and navy into financing education and bureaucracy. Taxes were raised, and in turn the money gained was used to invest heavily in infrastructure. Port facilities were constructed in La Libertad near San Salvador and the Costa Rican port of Limon. The campaign Carrera undertook to encourage enlistment into the army was ended, replaced with an equally aggressive campaign to encourage growth into the weakening artisan populations throughout Honduras.​

educationinvestment.jpg

Carrera's educational and government reforms were showing incredible success over the next few years. By 1845, literacy across the country was growing. Production from the fruit and tobacco plantations was nearly doubled, bringing in more revenue which was used to fund the nation’s first steps towards industrialization. The governments administration was strong and capable, with corruption among the bureaucracy almost unheard of. Their pay, which was more than adequate, kept them honest.

All around the Republic, a strong sense of Central American unity had grown. International relations had begun to stabilize over the years, allowing the Republic to resume normal trade between the United States and Europe. Carrera was hailed in the streets and villages across the country, and within the halls of Congress, as a hero of the Republic.​

eventworkandprogress.jpg

During this time, Carrera's Nacionalista's further reformed the government to strengthen their own power. Though the Chamber of Deputies was still allowed to function, membership in the Nacionalista party was required to be elected as a deputy. The fundamental autonomy of states within the Federation was officially abolished, under Carrera's rhetoric that the great crisis was not yet averted and the Republic could easily slide back into disaster without careful management. Persecution of those that still officially maintained their membership within the Liberal party was as unrelenting and brutal as ever. Even still, much of the political will of the country was slowly starting to lean away from the extremism of the Nacionalista's and turning towards a more conservative viewpoint.​

congress1853.jpg

Carrera shut down the borders of the country, preventing foreign nationals from migrating in to the Republic. Carrera passed these laws, informing Congress that the crisis would only worsen if foreign, heathen dissidents were allowed to enter the state, spewing their manifesto of hate against the state and the Church. Language laws and other programs of assimilation into the Central American way of life were established within the Church-run educational system. All publishing companies were nationalised and put under the control of the state. Newspaper articles were vetted by the Vice-President himself before being published into the morning news.

Carrera, and through him the Nacionalista's, had complete control of the Republic. Those that voiced opposition to Carrera, or questioned if any crisis still existed, were quickly silenced, either by slanderous newspaper articles or arrest and imprisonment under charges of treason.

From under the glow of economic and military success, the people loved Rafael Carrera. Production, education and wealth were all beginning to pour into the country. Taxes were lowered, tariffs eliminated, and new trade agreements with the United States saw a growing shared market between the two countries establish itself. By 1848, the United States and Central America, while not officially allies, were economically tied tightly together.​

foreignaffairs1853.jpg

Peace was not found throughout all corners of the Republic, however. In Haiti, a decade of lost land rights under the plantation act, unemployment from the large craftsman population, and general weariness from exploitation and occupation, all began to take their toll on the Haitian people. In the spring of 1847, Haitians, led by the disgruntled French aristocracy, began several major riots.

An uprising lead by a prominent Haitian landowner known as Emmanuel Ardouin was a sign of things to come.​

haitirevoltjan11848.jpg

The appointed President of Haiti, Pedro Medina, was slow to act. He assumed the Haitian revolutionaries were poorly led and funded, and hoped they would starve themselves out after a month of rioting. It soon became clear that Emmanuel had no intention of giving up.

Medina lead Republican troops to Cap Haitian himself, boasting that he would return within a week after the Haitians were properly put in their place. Emmanuel's forces were dug in and prepared, and Medina marched his army into a devastating defeat.​

haitirevoltdeb261848.png

Even though the uprising was eventually put down, nationalist clubs had been formed from within the local community of military officers.​

eventnationalistofficer.png

The leader of these clubs was a Haitian officer named Antoine Legitime.​

360pxgnraltoussaintlouv.jpg

Antoine was a firm and ardent believer in Haitian Independence

The clubs were broken up by government officials, but this only strengthened Antoine's resolve.

Pedro Medina, tried to calm the situation. He lobbied for basic unemployment subsidies within the Federal Congress, as well as a lessening on the strict policy of Dominican control in the Haitian tobacco plantations, but his pleas were ignored.​

eventlistlessunemployed.png

Antione, meanwhile, was able to garner strong support throughout Haiti by guaranteeing a return of Haitian independence and dominance on Hispaniola. Antoine urged the masses to riot in Port au Prince and Cap Haitian, which ground local production to a halt. Medina struggled to maintain military control of Haiti, and by 1850 demonstration and riots exploded into another open revolt.​

haitirevoltmay111850.jpg

Somewhat cowardly after his embarrassing defeat against Emmanuel Ardouin, Pedro Medina fled to the Dominican Republic immediately, handing over control of Haiti to the rebellion. Antoine declared himself the President of an independent and free Republic of Haiti, sending out dispatches to the United States, France, England and Spain, requesting they acknowledge his newfound republic as an independent state. In response, Carrera dispatched General Fernando Palacios to Hispaniola to end the rebellion.

haitirevoltmay111850.png

After nearly a year in control of Haiti, Antione was captured after a furious battle near Port Au Prince. He was exiled to Cuba. From Cuba, he left for France and Spain, begging for help and looking to recruit a new army and reclaim his republic.​

hispaniolatension.png

His requests did not fall on deaf ears.

hispaniolacrisisstartju.jpg

Unfortunately for Antoine Legitime, God was still firmly on Carrera's side. The crisis turned away from Antoine's favour after ambassadors from the United States Proclaimed:

"The Haitian rebellion led by the despot Antione Legitime is a threat to the peace and stability throughout the America's. We refuse to recognize his claims to independence, and further, any military aggression taken against the Federal Republic of Central America in this cause, will be treated as an attack against the United States itself."

Unsurprisingly, France refused to offer anything more than verbal acknowledgement of his claims. They were already engaged in a war against Prussia, and could not risk sending their fleet overseas to fight the United States. The British response to Antoine was similar to France, stating that the British Empire would sooner let the nations within the Americas police themselves, rather than waste resources fighting for a Caribbean backwater. Haiti was not within Great Britain’s immediate interests.​

hispaniolacrisisfailjul.jpg

Carrera re-enforced Pedro Medina's army with fresh troops, and by 1852, Haiti was firmly under Republican control again. Many of the Haitian landowners that previously funded the rebellion quickly backtracked on their stance, instead prostrating themselves at the feet of Congress, offering any required compensation for a return to peace.

By 1853, peace and prosperity reigned throughout Central America once more.​

eventequalop.jpg

Peace and prosperity once again brought questions from the senate. They argued to see a return to a Republican constitution. They claimed the constitutional crisis was over, the threat of invasion was gone, and the Republic had grown strong and peaceful enough to see a return to a true democratic state.

As Rafael Carrera prepared his speeches and arranged meetings with his closest advisers on what to do to curtail this minor surge in suffrage demands, a panicked secretary delivered him some very well timed, yet concerning news.

mexicojustification.png

----- A Brief Review -----​

By 1853, a lot has changed in the Republic and the world. Central America may have conquered a considerable amount of land compared to its initial small stature, but the military was still in poor condition compared to her neighbours.​

military1853.png

Luckily, the growth within the general population more than made up for it.​

demographic1853.jpg

With this boost in quality of life and education, technological strides were slowly but surely being made.​

techy.png

Production and the Economy were key centrepoints of advancement during the last decade. The production of the state had almost doubled between 1836 and 1853.​

production1853.jpg

Internationally, borders have shifted and wars have been fought.

northamericamapw.jpg

Mexico has lost a considerable amount of territory to the United States of America over the last decade

southamerica1853.jpg

Brazil has expanded deeper into the Amazon and pushed into most of the nations around her. Bolivia is struggling to retain her independence.

asia1853.jpg

The alliance between Dai Viet and Burma successfully absorbed most of the Kingdom of Siam. The British Dominion of Australia has grown into one of the most powerful industrial nations in the east.

europemapq.jpg

The Ottoman Empire has expanded into Austria, as has Prussia. Austria is falling apart to internal revolts and a collapsed ecomony. Picking up their and Spains slack is a unified and powerful Italy.

dividers.png

It's tutorial time again! In this update, The Republic made her first hesitant steps into the modern world by building some simple factories. Factories, and industry in general, is a pretty confusing and mysterious topic in regards to Victoria II, so I thought I would try and offer my extremely limited wisdom on the subject.

industrytut.jpg

As a reminder, you have a maximum of 20 screenshots per hour on the forums; I stopped counting here at 23. Please be more careful in the future.

That said, I am amazed at your incredible images!

I warned you about occupying Haiti didn't I? :)

I loved that update, especially the level of detail you went into explaining about the individual state Presidents and factories. Are the half-colour squares in the upper house meant to illustrate nationalista party gains? Or are they liberal/conservative minded NP members?

@Avindian: sorry about the number of images. I remember the rule and have been trying to keep aware of the number of images per post. Originally I was meaning to do the second half of the post in a separate update, but I had the images done early and without thinking, I just figured "eh, I'll just post it all at once!" I'll be sure to be more careful in the future. Anyway thank you for the compliment!

@sprites: Thanks! I'll try not to disappoint

@Tanzhang: You did warn me, and you were certainly right. Haiti is a perpetual thorn, but the tobacco profits are worth the cost of the extra ammunition required to keep it growing. The half coloured squares represent the ideology of the senators. Everyone is fundamentally a member of the Nacionalista party, even if secretly they follow different beliefs.

@Xill: Thank you! The Republic is making good progress so far, but we're still far from anything more than a regional power. Every one of my neighbours is both stronger than me, and really doesn't much enjoy my company. Hopefully I can sort that out eventually!

Really outstanding AAR.

I am worried that a flashpoint already happened for you, this was the downfall of my go at the USCA, bloody brits!

OMG, while I am extremely appreciative of the info in the above update, it doesn't half put me off actually playing Vic 2. Sounds headache inducingly complex. Managing the economy seems on another level again to EU3. I think I shall don my viking garb and go raiding in the UK on CK2 instead; that might be more up my alley ! However, I remain intrigued by the fate of USCA so consider me subscribed !

Really outstanding AAR.

I am worried that a flashpoint already happened for you, this was the downfall of my go at the USCA, bloody brits!

Thank you very much. I don't know about outstanding, but I'll take the compliment. Yeah, the Haitian issue fizzled out this time, luckily. I'm concerned it'll pop up again though, especially when it's most inconvenient for me. Bloody Brits indeed!

OMG, while I am extremely appreciative of the info in the above update, it doesn't half put me off actually playing Vic 2. Sounds headache inducingly complex. Managing the economy seems on another level again to EU3. I think I shall don my viking garb and go raiding in the UK on CK2 instead; that might be more up my alley ! However, I remain intrigued by the fate of USCA so consider me subscribed !

It's not actually all that complicated. The individual pieces are simple... there's just a lot of them. Once you're used to them it really does make a lot of sense and get easier to manage. It's even simpler if you have a laissez faire government in power and don't have to worry about managing a thing. Either way, I'm glad to have another reader!

As a general fyi to everyone reading, an update will be coming up shortly!

chapter5.jpg

Part 1: 1853-1855​

The council was once again seated around the conference room table, discussing the threat of war. This time, however, they were not the ones planning the invasion, but instead planning the defence.

"Do we have any response from the United States?" Rafael Carrera's voice was strained, cracked, and troubled.

Juan Arbenz, the President of Honduras, sifted through a number of letters scattered haphazardly over the table. "Not yet, Señor."

Carrera's face was sullen. "And Colombia?"

"They are still recovering from their second war with Brazil. I don't foresee any threat." President Arbenz spoke assuredly, trying to perk the usually defiant mood of Carrera.

"We must work under the assumption that the United States will not be intervening." President Eugenio Chavez said sternly. "Venezuela has sent a shipment of small arms in support, but it is all they are willing to offer."

Alexios Jimenez leaned forward, resting his arms on the edge of the large oak table. "Then we will have to trust in God."

Carrera seemed to stir slightly from his morose. "Mexico will invade Guatemala in a years’ time, maybe less." He rose to his feet abruptly "Until then, we must move forward without the support of our supposed allies."

The men of the council responded with nods and subtle grunts of agreement.

"I am appointing General Fernando Palacios as Secretary of War for this campaign. He already has my orders."

460pxyoungporfiriodiaz.jpg

Fernando Palacios, the star of Rafael Carrera's military plans, fought during the invasion of Haiti and led forces in Columbia.
He was awarded with commissions and a seat in the Senate for his devotion to the Nacionalista's.

Without any further words, Rafael Carrera left the council chamber. Recently he had been spending more of his time in prayer than with Congress, and today it seemed would be no different, regardless of the looming threat of invasion.

In his absence, the Council of Presidents was ineffectual at managing affairs of state. As news of the Mexican invasion spread throughout the Republic, the council was unable to calm the concerned populace. Carrera, whether viewed as a tyrant or a saviour by his people, had the innate ability to ease worry and inspire confidence. But for the first time in his presidency, even he seemed unsure.

His concerns were understandable. Mexico boasted a well-trained and well equipped army of nearly fifty thousand men. The Republic commanded a mere twenty, still armed with the same weapons they fought with at the turn of the century. The Mexican navy was ten times larger, and would have little trouble blanketing the Pacific and Caribbean coasts with cannon fire. In his concerns, Carrera turned to the only place he could find comfort and wisdom. The Church.

In his virtual absence, the newly appointed Secretary of War was quick to begin preparations. He was given "carta blanca" over the command of the military, under Carrera's direct orders only. His first act was a campaign to recruit the Republics first major cavalry forces, with the hopes of building a army of six thousand dragoons before the end of the year.

recruitingposterk.jpg

These recuitment posters could be
found in every public meeting place
around Guatemala

Taxes were raised to their highest levels since the civil war, and all available funds were diverted to war preparations. Artillery, rifles, and ammunition was stockpiled in forts across the country. Efforts in the iron mines of Quetzaltenango were tripled, with workers forced to labour for long, arduous hours, and dig deeper than ever. Each bar of iron pushed out of the mine was soaked in the blood of the workers, but it was essential to produce enough weaponry to survive.

eventironandblood.png

By late August in 1853, Admiral Corral christened the grandest ship built in the shipyards of Los Libertad; The Audaz. The new flagship of the Pacific fleet was the first in a line of ships built on both coasts, doubling the size of the Republican navy.

audazmanowar.png

Corral, near retirement, chose to grant command of the ship to rear-admiral Tiburcio Aguilar, content to end his commission as Secretary of the Navy fighting one last war with his favorite vessel, the Cartago.

As the new year dawned, more bad news came to the Chambers of Congress. William Marcy, the Secretary of State of the United States of America, sent his ambassador to discuss the threat of the Mexican invasion. Much to the dismay of Congress, but as was expected, the Americans would not be fighting with the Republic. The ambassador informed Carrera that Franklin Pearce, the President of the United States, was loathe to break his peace and cease-fire agreements with Mexico, having only just recently ended the Mexican-American war four years earlier. In a letter to Carrera, Marcy wrote:

"A large force ever ready to be devoted to the purposes of war is a temptation to rush into it. The policy of the United States has ever been, and never more than now, adverse to such establishments."

The Republic was truly alone.

In Carrera's absence, General Palacios enforced a stringent policy of party support, as a show of strength and unity. Blue jackets, in the style of the Republican military, were widely distributed. All able bodied men who were able to hold a rifle was expected to train every Sunday after mass. Presidential elections within the states of the Republic were frozen, officially ending all democratic process in Central America for the first time.

These changes, combined with the sweeping industrial and economic militarization of the state, began to take their toll on the people. In Guatemala, where the abuses were most severe, rallies were held asking for a return to democracy. Many people, the landed elites in particular, began to feel the threat of war was little more than a ploy being used to scare them all into submission under an increasingly tyrannical government. Carrera would have usually addressed the people personally, appealed to their nationalism and Christian virtues. Carrera, however, was absent, so it was left to Palacios.

General Palacios treated the rallies harshly. As the demonstrators marched through the central streets in Guatemala City, Palacios ordered his soldiers to encircle the streets and prevent the march. As the picketers were driven together into the main street, he ordered his men to open fire on the "Dissenting, ungodly, rebel scum."

eventchartistrallies.png

The brutality had the desired effect. Under General Palacios iron fist, fear drove even the most vocal of dissenters into hiding. Palacios ordered a major campaign against any liberal and anti-government activist, calling for widespread arrests and executions. A dark cloud hung over the country, and its leader, Rafael Carrera, shouldered much of the blame. When even the senate and the Council of Presidents challenged General Palacios actions, he would simply say he was acting under orders. The few times Carrera was present in Congress with his government, he would affirm it.

Carrera had grown more erratic over the next few months, spending all of his time deep in prayer and effectively leaving affairs of state in the hands of General Palacios and the Council of Presidents. He spoke of dreams and visions, stringing together an incoherent dialog of Gods plan for the Republic, leading many of his closest advisers and friends to believe he was slipping into madness.

On July 2nd, 1854, it began.

mexicodeclareswar.jpg

The Mexican invasion would come swiftly and mercilessly. An army thirty thousand strong poured over the border like a rushing torrent, sweeping into the northern most departments of Guatemala, catching the poorly numbered border guard massively outgunned and outnumbered. It would be several weeks until counter-attack forces could be organized and ready for any attempt at countering the flood of Mexican soldiers burning their way through the jungles of Guatemala.

mexinitialinvasion.jpg

Forces organized in San Salvador and San Pedro Sula, with Juan Arbenz commanding the southern army, and General Palacios in command to the north. Palacios ordered the regiments to wait, saying,

"Let the Mexicans exhaust themselves crossing the mountains. Let the jungles weaken their resolve. Once the Mexicans have expended their energy marching over the thick Guatemalan countryside and stretched their supply too thin, then we will strike."

It was then that Rafael Carrera awoke from his slumber. He charged out of San Salvador towards General Palacios northern army with a small compliment of personal guards and the Vice President in tow. Energized and invigorated, he spoke of his plan for victory. He spoke of the voice of God, commanding him it was time to attack.

When he arrived at General Palacios' camp, he immediately ordered a meeting with the General and the armies captains, instructing that he was taking command, and preparations should be made to march. Orders had already been delivered to the army in San Salvador, and Juan Arbenz was already on the move.

General Palacios was furious.

Palacios sat at a small, rickety wooden table in his white canvas tent. The table was adorned with maps and tiny status representing infantry and artillery. seated around him was Carrera and two of his most able captains.

"Señor, you have entrusted war preparations to me. You have entrusted this army to me! Let me lead my men!" He pleaded with Carrera, but the President would not waver. "God has commanded, General. I will not ignore Him."

Palacios scowled, the look of contempt on his face strong enough to radiate throughout the tent, sending shivers up the captains spines. "Leave your soul to God, Señor. Leave the war to me."

"Fernando," Carrera leaned forward over the table, unfazed by the anger oozing from Palacios. "You are still Secretary of War, and will be in charge of the counter-invasion in to Mexico. I am in charge of the liberation of Guatemala. As ordered, you will march with your dragoons to Costa Rica, and bring up the reserve forces. Am I understood?"

Palacios agitation only grew. "Señor, out of respect I will do as you order. But know that marching into Guatemala now will be the death of these men. It is suicide! God would know better!"

It was Carrera's turn to boil over. "Silence, General!" His voice boomed like the thundering trumpet of the Arch Angel Gabriel. "It is God that commands this army now. I will trust in him before I put my trust in any man."

General Palacios thrust his fist hard into the old table, splitting the surface and sending the tiny statues scattering to the dirt. He stormed out of the tent without saying another word. Carrera lept to his feet and followed him outside.

"General, you have served admirably, but I am commander-in-chief! I am the protector of the Republic! Through Gods will I built this nation from nothing! Soy la República!"

Palacios stopped mid-step and turned to face Carrera. It seemed the very gates of hell were bursting open in his heart, filling his body with a seething rage barely kept contained. His teeth grit hard, his right hand resting firmly on the handle of his sword.

After a moment of cold stares, General Palacios breathlessly blurted "Si, Señor." before turning again and marching to his tent.
By the next morning, the General was riding with his Dragoons south to Costa Rica, and Carrera, now in charge of the army, was marching into Guatemala.

corpuschristil.jpg

General Palacios forces, camped along the coast near San Pedro Sula.

His army made excellent time, reaching the jungles around the Sayaxché village in days. The Mexican scouts were already aware of their approach, and their army had made the necessary preparations.

As the Mexican regiments came into view, his own scouts returned indicating a force of maybe ten thousand were dug-in outside the village. Carrera's resolve was unwavering. He immediately ordered the assault, sending three thousand men through the jungles to hit the right flank, with him commanding six thousand more to charge directly into the Mexican forces. He and his personal guard of fifteen mounted dragoons surged to the front of their line. They would lead the attack from the front. "Never fight a Guatemalan in the jungles." he laughed confidently. As positions were settled, Carrera drew his sword and lifted it high above his head. He yelled "Through God, we will achieve victory!" before signaling the charge.

size0armymil20070417125.jpg

Rafael Carrera leads his forces through Guatemala, stopping near the Mexican camp to make final preparations.

The roar of the charge filled his ears. The heavy thud of his horse against the thick dirt rocked him up in his saddle. Amid the defiant yells from his men, he swore he could hear the song of angels. The boom of artillery fire exploded in thunderclaps over his head. They hacked their way through the brush and clearings, unafraid of the Mexican encampment growing closer. The first volley of rifle fire tore through the ranks, but Carrera's horse never slowed. His forces cleared the trees, unloading their volley of fire into the Mexican ranks. The first line dropped to reload their rifles, with the next wave charging between them at full sprint.

The sounds of bullets and cannons whizzing past Carrera's ears were drowned out by the pounding of his heart. He could taste the victory God had promised him. The whites of their eyes met his, his sword raised high, and with a crash more ferocious than the hurricanes waves on rocks he swung his sword down into the Mexican front line, his other riders one step behind.
Volleys of rifle fire gave way to the triumphant hurrahs of Republican forces drawing swords and pistols against the front line. Dust and black smoke billowed thick into the jungles, laced with the cries and screams of men falling to Carrera's sword. He knew it. He felt it. They were breaking. His right flank burst through the trees, bringing a second line of three thousand soldiers putting the Mexican regiment into a vice. Their superior numbers began to waver.

Carrera's blue jacket was soaked red with blood. He could no longer hear the sickening crash of metal, the screams and yells, the cannons or the rifles. Only the voice in his head, the voice of God, urging him forward, could be heard in his ears. The spray of blood and smoke did not dim his vision; the falling of his guardsmen around him didn't shake his resolve. The Mexican forces were soon enveloped. Their line broken, they began to fall back. Victory was his.

chasschernaya.jpg

Rafael Carrera bravely leads his troops from the front against the Mexican army

Carrera's yells of triumph echoed out over the jungles, giving chase to the fleeing Mexican regiment. His army had suffered severe causalities, but it was as his visions predicted. Before he could turn to his men and give a triumphant speech of congratulations, the fire of artillery came from across the jungles, exploding around his forces. Shocked, he turned back to the jungle line where the Mexicans had retreated, only to see fresh soldiers marching out from the green. Their rifles lowered, and the first volley tore into his scattered and disorganized forces.

The first bullet struck Carrera square in the hip. A second and third hit his left shoulder, knocking him from his horse. As his men struggled to help him to his feet, all hope fled his body. "God has forsaken us." he choked, before collapsing into the blood-soaked mud. Out from the jungle, the full force of the Mexican army marched. Ten thousand men, rifles firing, charged straight for the scattered Republican forces. Carrera was hoisted up by one of his guardsmen and fled to the rear as the Mexican advance met the Republican line. The force dug in at Sayaxché was merely the bait, and Carrera had fallen straight into their trap.

photo2pylebattleofnashv.jpg

The army of the Republic struggles to counter the Mexican assault

By the time the battle had ended, his army was totally annihilated. Only and handful of men, maybe twenty or thirty, managed to flee. The rest were killed or captured. Carrera was severely wounded, barely clinging to life. He was transported directly for treatment, first at San Pedro Sula and then to San Salvador.

To the south, Juan Arbenz forces met with a similar fate, only he had the wisdom to retreat before his army was destroyed, fleeing back through to Guatemala City.

failedcounter.png

Within weeks, Mexican forces were in total control of the border, and moving forces to Guatemala City. The state of Guatemala was lost.

mexcapguatemala.jpg

Offers of peace, written and signed by the Mexican President Santa Ana himself, arrived at San Salvador. Vice President Jimenez read the terms to a broken and weary Congress. Mexico was demanding all of Guatemala, the complete disarmament of Central American forces, and the release of Panama to Colombia.

Vice-President Jimenez, feeling all hope was lost, began writing the treaty of peace.

Ouch. :(

Carrera's encounter with nemesis at Sayaxché was beautifully written, I must say. I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll come back from this, new President perhaps?

Well written, also refreshing to see an AAR where not all is swept before it by the player. At least this might give you the chance to use a flashpoint NF to try and get the land back.

Really enjoying this AAR

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it!

Ouch. :(

Carrera's encounter with nemesis at Sayaxché was beautifully written, I must say. I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll come back from this, new President perhaps?

That's a heck of a compliment, thank you. You'll be able to read all about what happens after the battle at Sayaxché pretty soon. The next update is almost done... just touching up some poorly written bits and pieces.

Well written, also refreshing to see an AAR where not all is swept before it by the player. At least this might give you the chance to use a flashpoint NF to try and get the land back.

Thanks! Losing can be fun too, even if it is a little more common to see the human player steamroll his way over the world. Worth noting though, that the war isn't over until the peace is officially signed.