• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The first Syrian War 683-685 AUC

Over the last century Rome had repeatedly clashed with the Seleucids who had been driven from Asia Minor. Relations with Pontus and Egypt were tense but friendly as none of the powers saw any advantage to hostilities.

In this era, initially the Senate was content to avoid further entanglement in the region. As long as a rough balance of power existed between the three Hellenistic kingdoms of Pontus, Syria and Egypt it was unlikely that any would in turn be able to challenge the Republic again. The steady growth of the Parthian kingdom was welcomed as presenting a useful threat, limiting any potential Seleucid revival.

However, this feeling of detachment was steadily weakened. Egypt’s expansion in North Africa and Seleucid conquests in Armenia were signs that both powers had recovered from their defeats in the previous century. To this was added the evidence that both had abandoned the now outdated Phalanx warfare and had remodelled their military on the Roman legionary model.

But the main concern was the impact of the latest Seleucid-Parthian war. This was steadily moving in Parthia’s favour and by late 683 they had overrun all the Seleucid provinces inland from the Mediterranean.

By early 684, the situation deteriorated with the Egyptians deciding to take advantage of the Seleucid weakness

With this threat, the Senate authorised the local governors and legates to intervene.

This shift of policy proved to be very disruptive as it was the first time Rome had had to intervene without a clear plan. However, fortunately, the 5 legions in the region were sufficient to protect the Syrian coastal provinces.

However, Rome’s calculations were thrown into doubt first when the Seleucids made peace with the Parthians in Summer 684.

And with their Egyptian tormentors in September

The result was the initially disastrous Sophene campaign.

The 4th and 9th legions pushed across the Euphrates and clashed with the main Seleucid army. By early November both legions were in flight having suffered heavy losses

However, fortunately the 9th legion had set up a reserve camp on the west bank of the Euphrates. The two beaten legions were able to fall back on this secure base

In a hard fought battle, not helped by the insistence of the Cappadocian King that he was in charge, the Seleucids were driven back.

With 2 legions effectively destroyed and facing revolts in their rear, the Senate authorised peace negotiations. The rich coastal province of Phoenicia was ceded in March 685.

At this stage, the Senate felt it had achieved its main goals. Holding Phoenicia meant any further Egyptian advance was blocked. Equally seeing Parthia emerge as the winner of their latest war with the Seleucids was welcome as it weakened an immediate rival but overall the balance of power in the region was sustained.

However, none of the powers involved in this complex struggle felt content with the outcome. The Seleucids were determined to regain the provinces they had lost. The Egyptians and Parthians were hungry for more gains. Pontus remained caught as a close ally of both Rome and the Seleucids. Equally the Republic now held a single, isolated, province.

Just saw this and spent all morning reading it. onestly, Loki, how do you have time to write so many excellent AARs? :)

Really, the Middle east is a mess right now :D The only thing missing is a Pyrrhus saying something about the battlefield it was created ;) For all that matters the Seleucids are over as a great power ( or aren't they ? The yellow blob is always remarkably hard to kill ) and I can't see Egypt or Parthia keeping still, something that is definitely not on the interest of the Roman republic. Asia Minor is also fragmented and TBH I can't see the Pontus-Rome alliance to hold much longer ...

Yay! The Senate has gained a solitary province, surrounded by fairly strong enemies who are all waiting for the chance to take a swing at Rome - I believe I've already used this old chestnut before, but again I think the phrase 'Imperial overstretch' is quite apt. :) Yes, I really think the Roman Republic has pulled out a prize win here. :p

Just saw this and spent all morning reading it. onestly, Loki, how do you have time to write so many excellent AARs? :)

thank you. Usually I find writing these a nice way to relax so that is not the constraint. My problem is that my available time to spread across actually playing/the forums/writing is on a brief (hopefully) squeeze - not helped as the gameplay for my PoN AAR has become utterly addictive :)

Really, the Middle east is a mess right now :D The only thing missing is a Pyrrhus saying something about the battlefield it was created ;) For all that matters the Seleucids are over as a great power ( or aren't they ? The yellow blob is always remarkably hard to kill ) and I can't see Egypt or Parthia keeping still, something that is definitely not on the interest of the Roman republic. Asia Minor is also fragmented and TBH I can't see the Pontus-Rome alliance to hold much longer ...

Armenia seems to be the trigger. It losses every war but then starts another like clockwork. In turn that embroils the Seleucids-Parthians-Pontus in another round of war. Oddly me and Pontus seem committed to staying friends. I don't call them into any war that could break the link and it suits me to have them neutral for now.

Yay! The Senate has gained a solitary province, surrounded by fairly strong enemies who are all waiting for the chance to take a swing at Rome - I believe I've already used this old chestnut before, but again I think the phrase 'Imperial overstretch' is quite apt. :) Yes, I really think the Roman Republic has pulled out a prize win here. :p

Well thats the problem with just one province ... one does have to add to it ... which brings us to:

The Second Syrian War 687 - 693 AUC

The situation at the end of the first Roman-Syrian war suited none of the powers involved in the complex struggle in the region. As such, a renewal of the conflict was almost inevitable and the intervening period saw a number of minor crises.

Some of the issues came to be seen as trivial but, given the suspicions between the powers, at the time no sudden early death could be seen as innocent.

Rumour abounded. Some claimed he was poisoned by variously an asp introduced into his bed chamber by an Egyptian spy or eating a fig passed him by a Syrian street merchant. More lurid stories of excess with exotic slaves did the rounds of the Senate. No one was interested in the tedious detail that he had been thrown by his horse and, by ill-luck, had broken his neck.

Even those who accepted this version discussed the provenance and training of the horse as well as what unknown, dramatic, event might have caused the accident.

In reality the region slumbered in an uneasy peace for another two years. Surprisingly it was Armenia that broke the stalemate, aiming to recover the lands they had lost to the Seleucids.

Steadily more powers were drawn in and Parthia sensed weakness in both Armenia and the Selucids. In this they misjudged and this time they were steadily driven from their gains of the last 15 years. A resurgent Syria was the last thing the Senate could accept. In desperation, the mystery of Titus Longinus’ death was unearthed and used as the flimsiest of pretexts for war.

The opening stages went well with the legions able to storm the Seleucid border forts

The rapid fall of Antioch was proof of the wisdom of the Roman military build up in the last 5 years. Increasingly the Eastern legions were not Roman citizens but local mercenaries trained to fight in the Roman manner [1]. Equally the Roman fleet won a major victory off the province of Syria.

With the fall of Syria itself in mid-March

The Seleucids broke off from their successful war with Parthia to concentrate on Rome. However, they struggled to bring their armies back from the east in time to challenge Rome. As a result both sides built up their strength but no major battles occurred and both sides were content to end the conflict. Rome was by now obsessed with the political debates that were rocking the Senate and the mounting violence on the streets. The Seleucids had lost their core coastal cities, so by mid-May terms were agreed.

Again little was settled, Rome had expanded her grip on the Levantine seaboard but the new provinces were still isolated. Armenia, Parthia and the Seleucids all had recent grudges against each other and Egypt and Pontus lurked menacingly on the sidelines.

[1] about 25% of the cohorts and 35-40% of the actual manpower. I am also doing this to try an drain the region of mercenaries and thus stop the Seleucids recovering from their losses in turm.

[1] about 25% of the cohorts and 35-40% of the actual manpower. I am also doing this to try an drain the region of mercenaries and thus stop the Seleucids recovering from their losses in turm.

Sneaky, sneaky. Seems like a fairly rote war: wait for enemy to be embroiled in all-out war, use flimsy excuse to viciously backstab said enemy, storm provinces, extort said provinces in quick peace deal - then wait for the truce to expire, rinse and repeat. :) Nice to see you've got a good pattern worked out here. Just don't take your eyes off the real threat: those Picts are still hovering on the periphery, waiting for weakness... :p

I trust that the treasury is still doing well even with the investment in mercenaries?

Two provinces is certainly better than one in that region. It'll be very interesting to see how it develops, it seems that all of the notable powers left have a horse in that race.

Sneaky, sneaky. Seems like a fairly rote war: wait for enemy to be embroiled in all-out war, use flimsy excuse to viciously backstab said enemy, storm provinces, extort said provinces in quick peace deal - then wait for the truce to expire, rinse and repeat. :) Nice to see you've got a good pattern worked out here. Just don't take your eyes off the real threat: those Picts are still hovering on the periphery, waiting for weakness... :p

I have them firmly in my sights, first the mere trivia of taking down the richest, strongest, kingdoms in the game - then I deal with the real threat

I trust that the treasury is still doing well even with the investment in mercenaries?

Two provinces is certainly better than one in that region. It'll be very interesting to see how it develops, it seems that all of the notable powers left have a horse in that race.

Aye none of the 4 are badly weakened. Pontus and Egypt have massive manpower reserves, the Seleucids in theory at least have masses of mercenaries they can call up, not too sure about the Pathians though?

I'm earning about +50 a month, have built pretty much all I want to build so more than happy to put the cash into securing the mercenary market in the East - I mean they are dangerous people just to leave hanging around :cool:

oh and:

Last edited:
Domestic Politics 678-687 AUC

To external observers, the Republic in this period appeared to be incredibly strong as it expanded across Gaul, into Syria and managed to shrug off Cinna‘s civil war with minimum disruption. To internal observers, it seemed as if this external strength was a sham, a mirage as the old verities of the Republic’s governance fell apart.

There was, as ever, truth in both views.

However, the start of this period saw a brief period when it seemed as if the disputes of the previous decade were over, well hidden behind the Senatorial dominance of the Mercantalist faction.

However, with Publius Lentulus’ accession to the Consulship this was to change. That he came from the Civic Faction was of little importance in itself, the Mercantile grouping had long practised restraint in sharing important roles with members of other groups (except the Populists), as long as their primacy was acknowledged.

The problem came when called on to exercise judgement. His first test was when Duratid was found to have been excessively corrupt even by the standards of the time [1], and worse, when challenged, had simply bribed Lentulus. This against the background of the Civil War doomed his reputation.

He was followed to the Consulship by Lucius Metellus, also from the Civic Faction. He was a man of great administrative skills and energy, however, he lacked the skills at managing an increasingly turbulent Senate.

Typical of this were the events in Malta. In many ways, Metellus was the opposite of Lentulus, austere, personally honest, but unable to see that rigid policies needed to be amended in the light of local circumstances.

At the same time, he started the dangerous game of trying to promote the Civic Faction at the expense of his backers in the Mercantile grouping. In turn, this slowly ripped apart the anti-populist alliance that had dominated the Senate for the past 30 years.

Political revenge was taken quickly and brutally. The Mercantalists were prepared to share the trappings of power, they were not prepared to be removed from power.

However, the Civic faction managed to hold onto the consulship and Marcus Lepidus took over in 685.

The Mercantile faction immediately started to manoeuvre against him. They were determined that the next consul would be one of their own.

By mid-686, the consequence of this split became clear. The Populist faction grew steadily in strength and their nominee was favourite to become Consul.

As the Populists gradually exerted their strength, Lucius Octavius was confident enough to accuse Marcus Lepidus of adultery.

The feud was both serious and farcical. Rumours swirled around the Forum as to exactly who had been at what parties. Lifelong friendships were broken and, in a very real sense, the personal did become the political. Once, the tale of the goat was widely known (if not actually either true or widely believed), Octavius lost his immediate chances of the consulship

On the other hand, the Mercantile broad coalition lay in tatters but managed to hold together for one last Consular election. In a campaign that became notorious for the level of double dealing, lies, bribes and promises, Lucius Flaccus emerged as the next consul in late 687.

Octavius had been defeated for now, but the Populists and Mercantalists now represented single party blocks of almost equal power. The rest of the Senate spun between these two pillars as the Republic descended into internal chaos.

[1] – the Senate was especially outraged to find out he had used state slaves to trim his personal wisteria plant. Of course there is no way this should be read as a reference to the current British Prime Minister and his decision to charge the trimming of his garden plants to the taxpayer.

This AAR keeps getting better and better.

Although I know it isn't very related to the AAR discussion itself, re: your AARland bugle call: my vote has been cast.

This is some ugly politics. With the Populists ascendant, the future looks bleak... Which should make for good reading, unless it results in a horribly drawn-out civil war.

I'm ashamed to admit to my ignorance, but why are the Populists such bad news, again? I know they're horrible, Rome-wise, but I can't remember what makes them so horrible.

David Cameron had his hedges trimmed at taxpayer expense? Keeping the local gardeners employed, I guess. Perhaps he's coming round to Keynesian economics after all. ;) Okay, enough off-topicness. :)

Ouch, the numbers are looking very worrying. Populist support appears to be spinning out of control - it seems that making them lose some seats should be an extremely high priority.

I guess Lucius Octavius opted for a smear campaign that didn't quite work as he expected. ;) Those adultery accusations saved you from one populist consul at least.

Yikes those populists are becoming popular! What happens if they get in control? (I don't own the game so I have no clue)

So when a consul from a party is elected, it has an empire wide effect. For the other parties, this effect is positive. If a Populist gets elected, its negative: you gain something like 2 revolt risk across the entire empire... It could easily be the only push needed to have a some sort of epic empire wide meltdown.

So when a consul from a party is elected, it has an empire wide effect. For the other parties, this effect is positive. If a Populist gets elected, its negative: you gain something like 2 revolt risk across the entire empire... It could easily be the only push needed to have a some sort of epic empire wide meltdown.

Ah okay, thanks for the info. Sounds fun to watch, but not so fun to be experiencing!

Ah okay, thanks for the info. Sounds fun to watch, but not so fun to be experiencing!

theres a few others, that is the scary one.

But a large populist presence stops you doing any DOWs (so my 2 back stabs, no no, humanitarian interventions, in Syria would have been stopped), which is a problem when you see a nice opportunity (at the end of the day few states will now actually DOW me). A populist consul randomly shifts one of your national ideas which are important in Rome - I have one that converts more slaves-freedmen (=more manpower for the army) and 2 that improve the effectiveness of the army and I don't really want to lose any if I can help it. The worst is a Populist senate (ie that faction >50) faced with a non-populist consul is a guarenteed and nasty civil war. I think also some of the small scale events (murders et al) are more common when the Populists are powerful.

It can get so bad that as Cheexsta suggests in his invaluable Republics guide (which seems to have been unstickied from the Paradox Rome forum) just getting on with a civil war to put the situation back on an even keel. I'm trying to avoid that.

Its one of the many really neat mechanics in Rome that means even if you become very powerful, its not always possible to apply that power.

That Senate composition does not bode anything good, indeed. And if a Populist civil war gets on, it will get extremely ugly with a such big empire ( BTW adding a detached "Syrian" province does not help in anything about that :D ), and has all the potential for a spillout, with so much birds of prey around ready to nib on the Rebels. So, what to do, besides starting to kill all the populist notables ? ;)

So, what to do, besides starting to kill all the populist notables ? ;)
Killing them all sounds like a sensible approach - but I assume the game won't just let loki kill off all his opponents. Ah well, chaos can also be highly entertaining. For us, the readers, at least. ;)

Dunno about killing them all, but killing all the influential and/or popular ones is a win-win choice. ;) Either you get away with it and the threat is over for a while or you get a civil war and the threat is over for a longer time. :D

But seems that loki is looking for another solution here.