The problem with Basques, Equal Succession and the AI

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not necessarily; there are plenty of historical cases where an over-strong nobility still maintained the existing dynasty.
Overall, elective succession in-game should probably be less 'free' than it is at the moment; historically a lot of nominally elective monarchies were just hereditary succession with extra steps (if an heir existed).
In my games I've found that elective succession is basically a poor man's premogeniture + designate heir so that doesn't sound too far off to me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not necessarily; there are plenty of historical cases where an over-strong nobility still maintained the existing dynasty.
Overall, elective succession in-game should probably be less 'free' than it is at the moment; historically a lot of nominally elective monarchies were just hereditary succession with extra steps (if an heir existed).
Well, it seems that the main point of elective monarchy was the fact that even theoretical possibility of election of somebody else limit power of ruler, and increase nobility influence.

Reactions:
Well, it seems that the main point of elective monarchy was the fact that even theoretical possibility of election of somebody else limit power of ruler, and increase nobility influence.
I liked the concept of ineffective kings being able to be *unelected* by the body of nobles in the kingdom (whether actual or petty).
But that might well be covered by the factions and faction demands.

Giving Basques the option to change isn't a problem, there's a reasonable historical case that could have happened based on some inheritance customs practiced in families. I agree that it didn't actually happen among the nobility and probably Basque AI should not do it unless their religion has gender equality.

The real problem here is that the AI is totally incapable of dealing with gender equality in succession because they never matrilineally marry.

"The real problem here is that..." it's historically inaccurate and the Basque culture should not force rulers to embrace equal succession?

Reactions:
*Sigh* Here we go again.

Attachments

• 2021_08_12_1.png
    2021_08_12_1.png
    2,9 MB · Views: 0