• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Yenzen

Stagnant Descendant
48 Badges
Jul 23, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
The Principality

Foreword
Well now. Hello there, and to those I met before: Hello again.

With the onslaught of Heinlein, what better time to try a new semi-interactive AAR? The principle (heh) here is to try a quite different government from what was used in my former AAR, The Aviarium Continuum, yet still retain some user interaction!

This time we're going Oligarchic and Instant Runoff Elections and with... quite a different set of ethics. Don't worry, I haven't gone pacifist.

I cannot promise a weekly release schedule like before as I'm quite busy the next few months, but I will do regular updates. Each election will have at least 3 full ys to gain votes, preferably more.

2017 update: Due to Dropbox dropping all direct links, I had to take drastic action to save my AARs in a timely way: Every update now has a direct link to an Imgur image covering the entire update. These images can be quite heavy at 2-10MB, so please have patience when loading them!

If there are any issues with a rescued chapter, message me!

Tables of Contents

Background Information

Chapter 0 - Setting the Stage (Under the Golden Sun)

Virpim Den Hullos

Chapter 1, Quarter 1: 2200-2210 "Faith's Reward"
Chapter 1, Quarter 2: 2210-2220 "Northern Winds"
Chapter 1, Quarter 3: 2220-2230 "Birds of a Feather"
Chapter 1, Quarter 4: 2230-2240 "Titanic Troubles"
Intermission 1 - The Feldirm Regency: 2240-2246

Feldirm den Badir

Chapter 2, Trimester 1: 2246-2261 "Ruffling Feathers"
Chapter 2, Trimester 2-3: 2261-2261 "The Greater Expanse"

Historical 40-year elections and quarterly assemblies.

11 out of 16 votes was for the "Faiths Servant" beginning, while in terms of lore, the election was won with a very small majority.

2210: 1st Quarterly Executive Meeting of the Directors under Virpim den Hullos

- 70 were in favour expanding aggressively northwards starting with the Debbux system, 30 against and 0 abstaining.
- 90 were in favour of delaying the creation of a large Principal fleet at present time with 10 against and 0 abstaining.
- 90 were in against purging the possible dimensional interloopers, 10 for and 0 abstaining.
- 80 were against making an aggressive stance against the creatures of the galaxy, 20 were for and 0 abstaining.

Election results: 2st Quarterly Executive Meeting of the Directors under Virpim den Hullos

- With 57 directors (8/14) supporting, 43 opposing and 0 abstaining, the policy of "Friends in Xenophilia and Plutocracy" passed. The Principality would not seek out war with the Coalition of Thari as long as Princess VIrpim den Hullos was Sovereign.

- With 64 directors (9/14) supporting, 36 opposing and 0 abstaining, the policy of "Steady North... But Prepare the Cannons" was enacted. Securing the Debbux system became the number one priority of expansion and no frontier outposts would be established.

Election results: 3rd Quarterly Executive Meeting of the Directors under Virpim den Hullos

- With 70 votes for and 30 votes against, "The gap must be closed" was chosen as the official policy. There would be no war initiated by the Principality at this stage.
- With 80 votes for and 20 against, "Ever closed" was chosen as the policy towards the Coalition of Thari, and work begun to form a defensive alliance with the Alvothari leadership.

Election results for the 2246 Sovereign election

In the primary round:

- Feldirm den Badir secured the vote of precisely 50 electors, just shy of the required 51.
- Modrig den Tarrob secured the vote of 40 electors.
- Valdrig den Piriam secured the vote of 10 electors.

All of the ten votes for Valdrig den Piriam had marked Feldirm den Badir as their preferred second candidate, hence in the second round, Feldirm den Badir secured the support of 60 members of the Board and was crowned the new Prince.

The Principality would usher in a new age of Progress, Science and showing the Bird People that the Principality would not tolerate their vapid threats.

Election results for the 2261 General Meeting of the Directors

- The votes for the war Mandate were equally split 50 to 50, hence the Prince decided to throw his deciding vote to finish the mandate he had originally had - to finish off the Aviarium.
- The use of Clone Troopers was passed with a unanimous vote.
- The extension of Xeno leadership was passed with directors 87 for, 13 against.

Current Election - none, complete

How elections work
Principality elections are a form of instant-runoff voting that works as such:

Up to four candidates are nominated for the position of Sovereign and approved by the Board of Directors for election. Usually one by recommendation of the former Prince or Princess, the other three by recommendation from the other branches of government who did not supply a candidate last time.

Every member of the Board of Directors is then called upon to rank these candidates from the one they consider most to least desirable. No vote is complete without ranking every candidate.

The candidate with the least first ranks is then eliminated first and the vote for them is transferred to their 2nd favorite. If there are three candidates this will end the election as one candidate will have a majority, if there are four candidates then the remaining member with the least votes has their vote likewise transferred to their 2nd or 3rd options.

A simulation of this system with 10 votes and 4 candidates:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11515475/Pictures/Junkbox/SAAR2/Clipboard02.png[/img]

Each voter arranged the four candidates A, B C and D according to preference. First C was eliminated and the vote went to their second preference (B), next D was smallest and was eliminated and most of their vote went to their second preference (also B). This way candidate B crossed the 50% threshold and won, though initially smaller than A, because B was more palpable to C and D voters than A.

In this way, a vote is never wasted in the final showdown and one should not be scared to vote for a candidate one does not think will win, for in the worst case one’s vote trickles down to the 2nd and 3rd option, and may help elect someone who is at least not as bad as one’s 4th choice.

This is a simplified example of a clear winner, but it gives an idea of the spirit of the system. If there are two candidates with fewest votes, they can both be eliminated at once (4 candidates). If there are three candidates left, the one with the most secondary votes overall survives to the next round against the last opposition. If there are two equally matched candidates left, they have a direct election against one another.

Between the 40-year elections, 10-year quarterly meetings of directors are held to solidify new directions for the coming 10 years. These are almost always determined by pure majority.

Mild interactivity approved by Mr. Capiatlist (mild meaning no role-playing interaction between readers or writer)

Last edited:
Background Information

LINK

epH5TTA.png

MA3KN

Last edited:
Reactions:
It's really fantastic to see so many old faces already!

Ascended prodigy
The fettered one
The faithful servant.

I have been waiting eagerly for this for a few months now. Looking forward to it!

So am I! I hope to keep a decent pace of at least an update every other week despite being more busy than before. I really think a large update was required before moving on to a new AAR was timely.

Glad to see you're back in business!
Priority 1 (most preferred): Servant
Priority 2: Fettered
Priority 3: Prodigy

Indeed.

Hopefully the Principality will also find itself busied with business!

9UhYrAI.jpg

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed the Avarium, so happy to keep watch on this one.

It looks like you posted the same pic twice, with this paragraph in between:

Look, you can't have a Space Merchant Republic of Fungi without either individualism or thrifty trait.

I know it's sort of frowned upon in our day and age, but regarding our Princess... Yowza, those face-tentacles and those blowholes most have gushed a lot of ectoplasm in their time.

Okay taking part as well:

Priority 1 (most preferred): Faithful Servant
Priority 2: Ascended prodigy
Priority 3: Fettered

The Zracon look promising. :)

Priority 1: Prodigy
Priority 2: Servant

Priority 1 : The Faithful Servant
Priority 2 : The Ascended Prodigy
Priority 3 : The Fettered One

Amusingly my last game used this same portrait and planet class for a very xenophobic republic. Killed a lot of dissenters and resettled FE remnants onto tomb worlds. Hopefully we don't have to stoop to those kind of atrocities.

Priority 1: Servant
Priority 2: Prodigy

nice setup!

Thank you!

Wow, did I miss a post or is there actually a complete tie right now?

I refuse to count votes before the fateful day!

I thoroughly enjoyed the Avarium, so happy to keep watch on this one.

It looks like you posted the same pic twice, with this paragraph in between:

Fixed, thanks!

The Zracon look promising. :)

Priority 1: Prodigy
Priority 2: Servant

They're entering quite a dangerous galaxy, so hopefully that promise will lead places other than their doom ;-).

Priority 1 : The Faithful Servant
Priority 2 : The Ascended Prodigy
Priority 3 : The Fettered One

Amusingly my last game used this same portrait and planet class for a very xenophobic republic. Killed a lot of dissenters and resettled FE remnants onto tomb worlds. Hopefully we don't have to stoop to those kind of atrocities.

Yeah, since there are only so many portraits and so many empire names, people kind of form certain ideas of what they're like just by seeing them.

----------

One thing I would like to bring up is that I have a problem with how I perceive that wormholes have gained quite an unfair position across updates, and with the absolute nerf of hyperlanes are now ludicrously powerful.

Specifically a very long warp jump can leave your fleet paralyzed for a month. That effectively makes is almost impossible to hunt down enemy fleets, as a warp fleet will just be sitting ducks once it arrives.

Now, I decided to go for warp this round, partially because I've tried wormholes and don't like the playstyle itself much, partially because I did hyperlanes as the Aviarium, and partially because I had no personal experience with using warp at all.

Now, I don't mind being the underdog. The Principality will be entering the stage of 13 advanced AI empires, so maybe it could be fun also to have the worst possible FTL engine on top of everything. Usually I prefer going full vanilla and didn't even load a colour mod. However, if nobody objects, I'd like to load this mod on top of the base game. It makes the winding times of both warp and hyperdrives lower, and extends wormholes somewhat. It seems I can still load the 2200 save and continue ironman with it. Any perspectives?

Last edited: