• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oooohhhh, a sequel, care to elaborate on it?

Sectorknight21: Originally, I left off with the 1953 inauguration of Adlai Stevenson as the 36th President of the United States. Since then, I have picked up an excellent two volume biography on him (biographies are wonderful). I want to cover his Presidency and see how he might have led the country instead of OTL Dwight D. Eisenhower (who in this timeline dies from an heart attack in September 1955 after an unsuccessful White House run in '52).

Then I will move into the 1960s, where I will incorporate the Vietnam War mod. I don't think an AAR has been done yet based on that mod, so it would be a first. Can I win the Vietnam War? Only one way to find out. ;)

I also plan to do an prequel of-sorts based on the 1914 mod. I might also do an Modern Day Scenario AAR.

Sounds very interesting, best of luck!

Given that this, with "Against All Odds", "The Butterfly Effect", "Forging Destiny" and "Crossfires" turned me from lurker to writAAR (you see, it's all your bloody fault!), I'd love to see it expanded.

Sectorknight21: Thank you very much.

El Pip: Thanks.

I hope your "Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR" wins the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award. It's a really fun AAR to read. :cool:

Kurt_Steiner: Thanks.

Fortunately, I am almost done with this revision. I plan to post two updates today and then get started on the 1952 election. The first update has to do with the Soviets getting the atomic bomb and the beginning of American involvement in Vietnam. The other update has to do with Dewey trying to get Eisenhower to run for President.

Le Jones: Yeah, I guess it is partly my fault that you are writing such an awesome AAR about Halifax being Prime Minister.

Oh my God Oh my God Oh my God! You must ABSOLUTELY carry it on! This is absolutely my favorite AAR, your progress as a writer, as shown by the revision is excellent, I would love to see this continued :D

About prequels and MDS, what would we see?

'The Presidents: Taft to Cox - 1911 to 1925'
and
'The Presidents: Bush to Romney (or something) - 2003 to 2016 (or something)'

I would support any attempts at new AARs :)

Andreios II: With so much excitment, how can I not continue on?

Skimming through John Bartlow Martin's excellent two volume biography on Stevenson, I am getting several ideas on what President Stevenson could do in office...stuff like Cyprus and Egypt.

Egypt is an intriguing question mark. Historically, we had Egypt take over the Suez Canal in 1956, triggering the Suez Crisis. Would we have gotten the Suez Crisis if Stevenson was in office instead of Eisenhower? That's one of the questions I am pondering.

As for your ideas on possible AARs, Andreios II, I appreciate them. :)

Andreios II: With so much excitment, how can I not continue on?

Skimming through John Bartlow Martin's excellent two volume biography on Stevenson, I am getting several ideas on what President Stevenson could do in office...stuff like Cyprus and Egypt.

Egypt is an intriguing question mark. Historically, we had Egypt take over the Suez Canal in 1956, triggering the Suez Crisis. Would we have gotten the Suez Crisis if Stevenson was in office instead of Eisenhower? That's one of the questions I am pondering.

As for your ideas on possible AARs, Andreios II, I appreciate them. :)

And if Suez goes differently, Britain and America develop a very different (better?) relationship, and Britain's place in the world is different, too. I look forward to seeing how you play with the possibilities!

Meadow: I don't think Stevenson would have gone to war over the Suez Canal. I think he would have looked for a peaceful approach.

As 1952 begins, the Labor Party (I know it is spelled "Labour", but I use the American spelling) under Clement Attlee is in charge of the British government. In May, the British are going to hold an General Election (I am using "The Proper US and UK Elections" mini-mod). Attlee will be up for an second term as Prime Minister while Anthony Eden is in charge of the Conservative Party (Churchill having retired after serving eight years as Prime Minister). Whoever wins the election may have an impact on how the Suez situation develops.

Interesting times ahead.

Attlee will be up for an second term as Prime Minister while Anthony Eden is in charge of the Conservative Party (Churchill having retired after serving eight years as Prime Minister). Whoever wins the election may have an impact on how the Suez situation develops.

Interesting times ahead.

Attlee and Suez? I'm reaching for the painkillers just thinking about it!

Attlee and Suez? I'm reaching for the painkillers just thinking about it!
That would not be a pleasant alternative. :shudder: On the plus side though after re-reading the summary in this AAR President Stevenson will almost certainly handle it better than the idiot Ike, so that's good news at least.

Regarding the postwar sequel, might I suggest Nomonhan's Cold War Techtree Extension Project? It'll allow a more-or-less direct port, since the tech tree is vanilla-plus rather than a replacement. The event trees for the '50s are pretty well fleshed-out too.

Regarding the postwar sequel, might I suggest Nomonhan's Cold War Techtree Extension Project? It'll allow a more-or-less direct port, since the tech tree is vanilla-plus rather than a replacement. The event trees for the '50s are pretty well fleshed-out too.

I will look into that. Thank you for the recommendation. :)

I'm very much enjoying this '52 election Mark 2. Having Taft as the GOP candidate seems to make more sense now I think about it, seeing as the Conservatives are probably tired of having to fight a Liberal President at every turn.
Looking forward to seeing how this affects the results, though I cannot imagine it would make Stevenson's victory smaller...

Andreios II: Thank you very much.

When I originally wrote about the '52 election, I had played with the idea of running Taft against Stevenson, but decided not to. When it came time to do the revision, it was volksmarshall who recommended I take another look at Taft. He even gave me an outline of how Taft might have ran his campaign. Just like his well thought-out input for the '48 election (the nomination of Russell and Humphrey's third-party run were his ideas), I incorporated his input into the revision. I can't thank him enough for his help.

Giving Taft the nomination in '52 is a fitting climax to his distinguished career in this AAR. If I had to name the break-out star of this revision, it would be Taft. He is probably the most influential non-President character in this story. A lot of what happens in this AAR, one way or another, revolves around the Senator from Ohio. He will be greatly missed when he dies in the summer of '53.

You're right about the Conservatives. FDR, Willkie, Dewey, and soon Stevenson...they can't catch a break. They need to find somebody who can help them cross the water and find their gold.

I should have the results up by the end of next week, since I am finally at Election Day.

All Well That Ends Well

Ladies and Gentlemen,

On October 13th, 2008, "The Presidents: Hoover to Dewey (1929-1953)" made its' debut. After recapping history from 1929 to 1940, history was changed when Republican challenger Wendell Willkie defeated Democratic President Franklin D. Roosevelt's bid for an unprecendented third term. From that point on, history went on a different course: the fall of Stalingrad to the Germans, no D-Day, Operation Downfall, no Korean War, the election of Adlai Stevenson as President, etc.

After the AAR was completed, I went back and revised the AAR. I greatly expanded original plot points while adding new content. Today, August 3rd, 2010, I proudly announce that the revision for "The Presidents" is now completed. Thus, this AAR is truly over. I can't begin to describe how proud I am to have an finished AAR under my belt.

So what does the future hold? I plan to do a sequel that will pick up where this AAR left off: Stevenson's election to the Presidency. The sequel will also cover the Vietnam War, using the Vietnam Mod. I am not sure when work will begin on the sequel, but it should be in the near future.

To the readers who have read this story, I thank you very much.

Revision completed! Yah! The only problem is the fact that Robert Taft never got to be President! :p

Anyway, it looks like I have another piece of literature to read before the summer ends now... the revised and definitive edition of "The Presidents: Hoover to Dewey," which is the sole reason for why I started your Victorian cousin! Congrats! :cool: