• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Andreios II: Thank you very much. :)

Ah, Advantages Without Obligations. Like I said, that AAR inspired me to write this AAR. Personally, I don't think my AAR is better than Mettermrck's AAR. AWO is so engrossing. There's also a certain charm about rigging the 1936 election and then turning Alf Landon into a mindless puppet of big business. :cool:

A British AAR? I tried that once. I highly recommend Le Jones' AAR if you want something similiar to this.

As it turns out, even though this AAR is officially done, I am not done with it quite yet. In fact, I am now working on "The Presidents: Version 2.0". Every update is getting redone. Some updates will only get minor revisions while other updates require a complete overhaul.

For example, let's take a look at the very first update: "Prologue". Originally, Prologue was intended to set up the election of 1932 by briefly mentioning Hoover's election and the outbreak of the Great Depression. For that update, I greatly expanded my look at the election of 1928 and Hoover's inauguration. Then I took the part about the Great Depression and moved it into the second update. When completed, "Four Long Years" will cover the Great Depression, Hoover's poor handling of it, and the rise of FDR.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There. I finished revising the very first page of this AAR. It looks much better than it originally appeared in October 2008, in my opinion. As I begin reworking the second page, I am curious to know what the reaction of the readers are to the improved version of page one.

Last edited:
Awww doesn't seem like anyone's replied so far, I'll put a stop to that!

I definately think the new version of The Presidents is better. It's alot tidier and I really like all the new info and pictures. All in all the revised edition is going very well! Keep going!!!!!!!!! :cool:

There. I finished revising the very first page of this AAR. It looks much better than it originally appeared in October 2008, in my opinion. As I begin reworking the second page, I am curious to know what the reaction of the readers are to the improved version of page one.

Looking good - particularly enjoying the pics...

Wow. I got responses. Kinda wasn't expecting that. :eek:

Andreios II: Thank you very much. :)

For one thing, I decided to abandon the weird sentence structuring and just go back to sentence paragraphs after seeing that other people were doing it.

Rewriting the election of 1936 was particularly fun. It was one of the main reasons why I started redoing the AAR. Even after I was done with the original version, I wasn't really satisified with it. Since I kept Huey Long alive for four more years, I wanted him to have a bigger impact on the outcome of the election. Denying Roosevelt a massive win in the popular vote count was what Long accomplished. As for Landon, he will be back.

Le Jones: Thank you. Next up on my agenda is When Lightning Strikes.

Last edited:
A solid enough recap, I look forward to the ahistorical variations. :)

Sir, he already introduced ahistorical variations when he mentioned that Adlai Stevenson was president in the '50s.

Sir, he already introduced ahistorical variations when he mentioned that Adlai Stevenson was president in the '50s.
As Nathan Madien has been rewriting this chapter and verse I suspect his original version did not contain that teasing factoid when I wrote that.

I'd also suggest that digging up this old thread just to nitpick a out of date comment on the first page will both you keep you very busy and make you somewhat unpopular with the moderators. ;)

Not to mention the other members of the AARland... ;)

Klein001: :confused:

El Pip: I am not even sure what we are talking about. :confused:

To be honest, I wasn't expecting this AAR to make a return. I mean, the rewriting is pretty much for my own benefit. I could have walked away after I had originally finished this and moved on to something else. However, having learned new information after originally writing this AAR, I wanted to go back and make adjustments. I especially want to revise my coverage of the Dewey Presidency now that I have Richard Norton Smith's excellent biography "Thomas E. Dewey and His Times".

Kurt_Steiner: I hope this AAR doesn't get closed because of thread bumping.

By the way, in "The Invasion of Japan", I decided to kill off Gandhi during the Japanese occupation of India. I am just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
By the way, in "The Invasion of Japan", I decided to kill off Gandhi during the Japanese occupation of India. I am just throwing that out there.
I may have to re-read just to enjoy that. :D

El Pip: Originally, India was a vague sentence. For my revision, I decided to expand it to a few paragraphs talking about how the Japanese conquered India in 1943, how their occupation went, and how the British kicked them out in the end.

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense to kill off Gandhi. Given how brutal the Japanese were in their occupations, it seems highly unlikely they would have tolerated some skinny guy yapping about self-determination for very long.

Kurt_Steiner: I am still not sure what triggered this comeback. :confused:

Slaughts: Thank you very much. :)

Last edited:
And the Revised Edition slowly chugs along :) I'm always very happy to come back to this and see how things get updated.
Do you often take OTL speeches by the politicians and change them to suit their TTL situations? I noticed how you cleverly altered Dewey's "Where they are, what they're up to" speech from the historical '48 election :cool:

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense to kill off Gandhi. Given how brutal the Japanese were in their occupations, it seems highly unlikely they would have tolerated some skinny guy yapping about self-determination for very long.

Ever read the Harry Turtledove story "The Last Article?" To save you the gory details, Germany's success to the west sends Walter Model to India, and Gandhi discovers that pacifism doesn't work as well when you're dealing with a totalitarian regime that doesn't even pretend to care about your well-being. Similar premise, and the Japanese were even less likely to care about the locals' well-being than the Germans. ;)

Andreios II: My revision is merrily chugging along. Thank you for following along. :)

For "The Election of 1948", I can't thank volksmarschall enough. Originally, since he is doing his own awesome Presidents AAR based on the Victoria game, I asked him for ideas on how I could revise my coverage of the 1948 election. He brought up Democratic Senator Richard Russell of Georgia and explained to me how he could be the guy to oppose Dewey's re-election bid. The more we talked and traded ideas, the more I decided to ditch what I had originally wrote and go with this approach.

Ever since I had to come up with Willkie's inaugural address in January 1941, I have taken OTL speeches and changed them to suit my situation. Dewey's "Where they are, what they're up to" speech, for instance, is something I found on YouTube and I decided to work it in.

c0d5579: Thank you for pointing that out to me. :)

On a side note, I want to thank Richard Norton Smith for writing his biography of Dewey. It has really given the Dewey Presidency a much-needed dose of creative writing and an invaluable insight into who this man was and might have done had he been elected President in 1944.

*sigh* the good ol' Progressives, appearing in a number of guises over the first half of the 20th Century :)
I'm rather pleased with Humphrey's performance, about as good as TR's was in 1912 and MUCH better than La Follette. This revision just gets better and better :D

Andreios II: Thank you very much.

Again, it was volksmarschall's idea to have Humphrey and the Progressives be this timeline's Dixiecrat Party.

It was fun having Humphrey run for President in 1948. It has certainly given him experience in conducting a national campaign. Who knows? If he ever decides to run for President again, this experience he gained might make the difference.

By the way, here is a fun fact: Humphrey's 6,111,986 popular vote tally is my birthday. That's how I came up with it. :cool:

Hmm...1986...where have we seen that before?

Dr. Gonzo: Thank you very much.

I plan on doing an sequel once I finish up the revision.

Myrmidon: Thank you. I am glad you were able to enjoy this with your morning coffee.