• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Le Jones said:
Agreed - though as Churchill served as both Home Secretary and Chancellor he did have domestic experience. Agreed as PM he left them alone, but was that not due to circumstance?
Circumstance obviously played a part, but I think it was also disinterest, his second stint as PM (though also full of foreign affairs) once again saw him take little interest in domestic affairs.

I think the point is he could have made more effort domestically, as you say he had the experience (not all of it good, but that's often the most valuable kind), and easily could have left the detailed aspects of the war to the generals and admirals. However he chose not to, in both terms, which I think shows where he thought his time was best spent.

Hmmm, Germany is a puppet of France; interesting.

And great overview of the works and plans in Europe, I may think though that President Dewey might want to build up the American Army in and Air Force in particular, how does the Air Force (Army Air Force) compare to the likes of the RAF or the RCAF?

Le Jones: For one thing, we have an active and alert Dewey representing the United States - whereas Roosevelt looked like he was already dead and just waiting for it to become official.

El Pip: In the "The Proper US and UK Elections" mod I am using, there is a string of election events for the UK in the case of an early end to the war. In September 1944, the 1944 General Election event fired and the AI chose the "Elect Churchill" option. So now the Conservative Party is still in charge instead of the Labour Party.

I would imagine so, although I will be more focused on Dewey's domestic policies after the war.

I was able to keep the Soviets from grabbing German territory in the final days of the war.

I am sure the Soviets will be okay on nuclear research; however, as you have pointed out, they will be slower in rocket and jet technology than they were historically. The Americans, right now, are making progress in those two fields. Having Werner Von Braun and his entire team at my ever-expanding rocket testing site in New York certainly helps. :D

As for postwar consequences, it may give the Americans the edge in the Korean War (if it happens) and it will even allow the Americans to beat the Soviets in launching the first satelite into space in the late 1950s. It will be interesting to see how the Space Race will unfold with the Americans being the first into space.

Arilou: At the moment, I have no spies operating within the United States. I can't speak for my Allies, though.

El Pip: You have a good point, El Pip.

Enewald: Yup.

Le Jones: Perhaps.

El Pip: That's Churchill for you.

TheVenetian: At least it gives de Gaulle something to be happy about for once. ;)

So far, Republican policy has been for a strong national defense.

The United States Army Air Force has grown considerably since 1936. I am not sure how big the USAAF is in comparison to the rest of the world, but I would imagine it being in the top three.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dapplemere
His first international trip as President left Dewey exhausted. Only one thing could cure that. On March 24th (his forty-third birthday), he and his family left for several days’ rest at Dapplemere – their large farm in Pawling, New York. Located sixty-five miles north of New York City, Dapplemere was Dewey’s pride and joy. “I work like a horse five days and five nights a week,” he once wrote, “For the privilege of getting to the country for the weekend.”
Overlooking the Harlem Valley, the beautiful farmland was a stone-throw away from some pretty famous neighbors:
-Lowell Thomas, an NBC radio broadcaster best known for introducing the world to Lawrence of Arabia
-Norman Vincent Peale, a Protestant preacher who promoted the theory of positive thinking
-Edward R. Murrow, the legendary CBS radio broadcaster
In the words of Dewey biographer Richard Norton Smith, “Dewey loved Dapplemere as no other place.”
a88dda4d515694d5_landing-1.jpg

It was at Dapplemere, on March 29th, that the President decided to tackle what he knew would be a major domestic issue after the war. At the time, food and grain were being rationed for military use under the watchful eye of former President Herbert Hoover. As in World War One, Hoover was a master of knowing how to reduce consumer consumption. His underlying belief was that “food will win the war.”
During the spring of 1945, concern grew over life after rationing. In a handwritten memo, Secretary of Agriculture Claude R. Wickard warned that “the nation will face great shortcomings once our veterans begin to return home. We should expect fresh vegetables, meat, and dairy products to be in scare supply. Farmers will face great difficulty in making adjustments. Unless we have the necessary policies in place, I predict that the public will not take kindly to persisting shortages after having sacrificed so much to achieve victory.”
Warned ahead of time that the nation could experience postwar turbulence over food supply, the President moved decisively to nip the problem in the bud. On the 29th, he authorized the creation of the Emergency Food Council. A bipartisan group co-chaired by Hoover (a man Dewey personally didn’t think highly of, but knew was the best for the task) and Senator Truman (chosen primarily because of his successful chairmanship of the Truman Committee, a Senate investigation committee which had rooted out fraud and mismanagement in national defense), the purpose of the EFC was to find ways to gently wean the country off the rationing system and gradually restore consumer consumption to its’ regular levels. Eventually, the EFC made over fifty recommendations ranging from teaching chickens how to eat Canadian barley to designing a monitoring system to rush tractors and trucks wherever they were most needed. The Dewey Administration promptly enacted the EFC’s various recommendations; as a result, the postwar transition from rationing to normal consumption would go a lot smoother than it might have otherwise had it not been for Hoover, Truman, and their team.
345b91a4dccceed4_landing-1.jpg

The day after he created the EFC, Dewey returned to the White House. However, he would not stay there long. He stayed in Washington, D.C. long enough to sign into law an economic package of tax deductions, spending cuts, and the elimination of departmental fifth wheels before going back to Dapplemere on April 9th. He had a reason for going back – a serious one. On April 11th, Dewey’s four military chiefs arrived at the farm to review plans for the upcoming invasion of Japan. For months, American forces had been steadily arriving in Okinawa from Europe. The island itself had been transformed into a massive staging ground for the largest amphibious invasion in world history.
Operation_Olympic-1.jpg

Codenamed “Operation Downfall”, the invasion would unfold with MacArthur landing forces in Southern Kyushu – one of the few suitable invasion zones available to the Americans. Once Kagoshima was captured, the full strength of the United States Army would be ferried in and then be unleashed against the Japanese home islands. With the once-powerful Imperial Japanese Navy now reduced to one carrier and eight smaller ships, the United States Navy enjoyed naval superiority and would take advantage of that factor to isolate each island. The United States Army Air Force would dominate the skies and work closely with the Army in destroying the enemy. In regards to Japanese resistance, Eisenhower warned “that operations will be opposed not only by the available organized military forces of the Empire, but also by a fanatically hostile population.”
With an enemy expected to fight for every inch of ground, and suicide attacks from the kamikaze a certainty, there was no question that casualties on both sides would be serious – even in the best-case scenario. “Basically,” the President said gloomily, “Millions of people may die on my order.”
Soldiers_wounded_in_battle_of_pe-1.jpg

The heavy duty meeting stretched into April 12th, where Dewey asked about the role of Korea. Eisenhower informed the Commander-in-Chief that “in focusing on the delicate planning required for attacking Japan directly, we did not take Korea into consideration.”
Dewey responded that “Stalin intends to go to war with Japan next month and I don't want to risk losing the Korean Peninsula.”
He therefore ordered his military chiefs to draw up plans for an invasion of Korea to coincide with Operation Downfall. Less than two weeks later, the President received plans for the liberation of Korea – codenamed Operation Clamp. According to those plans, Operation Clamp would be launched at the same time as Operation Downfall with American forces seizing the volcanic island of Jeju. From Jeju, the Americans would land on the shores of Southern Korea and then work their way north. Initially, Patton had wanted to lead the campaign. However, Eisenhower cautioned against this and urged the reins of Operation Clamp to be in the hands of General George C. Marshall – the Liberator of Paris – instead. The Chief of Staff of the United States Army explained that “I know Patton can liberate the Korean people. The problem is that I don’t know what he will do if he runs into the Red Army and I don’t want to find out. Given his shoot-from-the-hip attitude, it’s too risky to have him in command. On the other hand, I know exactly what Marshall will do if he runs into the Red Army: nothing. With him in command, we don’t have to worry about cleaning up any unnecessary messes.”
The Commander-in-Chief sided with Ike (while ignoring complaints from Patton) and approved placing Marshall in charge of Operation Clamp. With MacArthur in charge of Operation Downfall, the next phase of the war against Japan would be left in the hands of these two highly experienced military commanders.
Krueger-MacArthur-Marshall-1-1.jpg

May 22nd found the President in St. Louis, Missouri, meeting with America’s forty-eight Governors. Sympathetic towards them, Dewey wanted to strengthen ties between the Federal Government and State Governments. They were discussing the creation of an agency to coordinate unemployment insurance between the States when news broke that the Red Army – after months of preparations – had just crossed the border into Manchukuo. Soviet forces were now openly attacking the Japanese and her Asian allies, slowly pushing them back.
battle_august9-1.jpg

Following these initial engagements was a formal declaration of war upon Japan by the Soviet Union. The Soviet invasion of Manchukuo (codenamed Operation Mayflower) forced the Japanese to scramble. Additional army divisions were needed in Manchukuo and nearby Mengkukuo to try to stop the enemy from advancing any further. Forces were even pulled out of Korea and the Japanese home islands and thrown into battle. For the Americans, this achieved the result of lessening the military resistance they would soon be facing. Dewey was pleased by the turn of events; however, one man wasn’t happy that the Soviet Union had entered the war in Asia.
98769a97d9da6b1c_landing-1.jpg

In the summer of 1937, Japan declared war on Nationalist China. Mao Zedong, the Chairman of the Communist Party of China, was called upon by Kai-shek to help him fight off the Japanese invaders. Mao refused, unwilling to support his archrival – which he was battling for control over the future of China. As a result, Communist China was neutral when the Japanese defeated Nationalist China in July 1939 and established hegemony over much of Asia.
ScreenSave33.jpg

Having won the Second Sino-Japanese War and banished Kai-shek and his wife to the United States, Tokyo had to decide what to do about the two countries remaining outside their control: Communist China and Tibet. The Japanese government determined that Tibet would not only be harmless but would also make a good barrier against the British in India; Tibet would therefore be ignored. As for Communist China, although the Japanese were opposed to Communism in principle, they had no desire to waste manpower and resources squashing a small, isolated enclave. They were willing to look the other way…for a price. If Yan’an agreed to mind its own business and not interfere with Japan’s plans for Asia, Tokyo would agree to leave Communist China alone. The “live and let live” accommodation proposal was accepted by Mao, who saw it as the only way he and his faithful followers could live in peace without the fear of a Japanese attack hanging over them.
MaoTseTung1944_9l9XftGfjLNp-1.jpg

All was well until the day Stalin declared war on Japan. Fears gripped Mao as the Red Army moved into Manchukuo. He became afraid that the quid pro quo might be lost and the Japanese might turn against him for one reason or another. Within days of the opening of Operation Mayflower, Communist China declared war on the Soviet Union in a calculated move aimed at maintaining the unofficial non-aggression pact between Yan’an and Tokyo. Moscow wasn’t amused by this and would soon teach the Communist Chinese a harsh lesson about going to war with the Soviet Union.

Last edited:
Great. Instead of DoW to a declining power, Zedong DoW on the mighty Red Bear. :D Kamikaze spirit, that's it!

Kurt_Steiner: It was one of those weird AI things that happened in my game.
The Manhattan Project
The 1930s witnessed great strides in the study of atoms and the possibility of harnessing its’ power. In 1932, British physicist John Cockcroft used artificially accelerated particles to create a nuclear reaction. From there, different scientists showed that bombarding uranium with neutrons created nuclear fission. Fission, if handled correctly, could be tapped to provide both civilian power and military weapons. Germany, in particular, was interested in acquiring nuclear technology. With Europe speeding towards war, many became fearful at the prospect of a nuclear-armed Germany. In the summer of 1939, Hungarian-American physicist Leo Szilard wrote a confidential letter to President Franklin D. Roosevelt explaining the potential of nuclear weapons, warning of the dangers of a nuclear-armed Germany, and encouraging the United States to develop nuclear weapons. To ensure that his letter was taken seriously, Szilard enlisted the support of his friend Albert Einstein to sign the letter.
bb403e1bf4005d97_landing-1.jpg

Originally born in Germany, Eisenstein had fled to the United States in 1933 to escape Nazi oppression. Among the highlights of a remarkable career as a theoretical physicist:
-Developed the theory of special relativity (E = mc2) in 1905
-Received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics “for his services to Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect.”
When Szilard approached Eisenstein with the letter, he agreed to sign his name on it. On October 11th, Roosevelt received the letter from economist Alexander Sachs:
“Some recent work by E. Fermi and L. Szilard, which has been communicated to me in manuscript, leads me to expect that the element uranium may be turned into a new and important source of energy in the immediate future. Certain aspects of the situation which has arisen seem to call for watchfulness and, if necessary, quick action on the part of the Administration. I believe therefore that it is my duty to bring to your attention the following facts and recommendations:
In the course of the last four months it has been made probable through the work of Joliot in France as well as Fermi and Szilard in America - that it may become possible to set up a nuclear chain reaction in a large mass of uranium, by which vast amounts of power and large quantities of new radium-like elements would be generated. Now it appears almost certain that this could be achieved in the immediate future.
This new phenomenon would also lead to the construction of bombs, and it is conceivable - though much less certain - those extremely powerful bombs of a new type may thus be constructed. A single bomb of this type, carried by boat and exploded in a port, might very well destroy the whole port together with some of the surrounding territory. However, such bombs might very well prove to be too heavy for transportation by air.
The United States has only very poor ores of uranium in moderate quantities. There is some good ore in Canada and the former Czechoslovakia. While the most important source of uranium is Belgian Congo.
In view of the situation you may think it desirable to have more permanent contact maintained between the Administration and the group of physicists working on chain reactions in America. One possible way of achieving this might be for you to entrust with this task a person who has your confidence and who could perhaps serve in an unofficial capacity. His task might comprise the following:
a) To approach Government Departments, keep them informed of the further development, and put forward recommendations for Government action, giving particular attention to the problem of securing a supply of uranium ore for the United States;
b) To speed up the experimental work, which is at present being carried on within the limits of the budgets of University laboratories, by providing funds, if such funds be required, through his contacts with your private persons who are willing to make contributions for this cause, and perhaps also by obtaining the co-operation of industrial laboratories which have the necessary equipment.
I understand that Germany has actually stopped the sale of uranium from the Czechoslovakian mines which she has taken over. That she should have taken such early action might perhaps be understood on the ground that the son of the German Under-Secretary of State, von Weizsacker, is attached to the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institute in Berlin where some of the American work on uranium is now being repeated.”

After reading the letter, the President authorized the creation of a nuclear research faculty to look into the matter. When the faculty reported back that research on nuclear weapons was feasible, Roosevelt authorized the top secret Manhattan Project to create the atomic bomb for the United States. A vigorous professor of physics at the University of California at Berkley, Robert Oppenheimer, was placed in charge of the Manhattan Project; which itself was placed under the jurisdiction of Brigadier General Leslie Groves. Groves, possessing high intelligence and tremendous drive, had just finished overseeing the construction of the massive Pentagon office building in Arlington, Virginia.
458px-Groves_Oppenheimer-1-1.jpg

In January 1941, Wendell Willkie succeeded Roosevelt as President. Upon taking office, Willkie was briefed on the existence of the Manhattan Project and was quickly intrigued by it. Captivated by the idea of adding nuclear weapons “to our national defense”, he accelerated the project on his watch. Over the next four years, Oppenheimer and his team labored in over thirty different research and production sites spread out across the country. Among the more important of these locations:
-The nuclear reactor in Chicago, Illinois
-The uranium-235 production in Oak Ridge, Tennessee
-The plutonium production in Richland, Washington
-The bomb assembly in Los Alamos, New Mexico
Y12_Calutron_Operators-1.jpg

The Manhattan Project was so heavily classified that only a handful of people knew the true scope of it. Indeed, there were questions over whether or not the atomic bomb they were building would actually work. If the bomb did work, how powerful would it be? The answers would come in the summer of 1945.
Trinity_device_readied-1-1.jpg

In New Mexico’s remote Alamogordo Bombing Range, a test site (codenamed Trinity) was established. Once the team had assembled the plutonium-core atomic bomb, the “gadget” was then hoisted to the top of a one hundred-foot tall steel tower – to be detonated remotely. Oppenheimer and Groves retreated to nearby bunkers in order to safely observe the test. Following a rain delay, at 5:30 AM on the morning of July 16th, the world changed forever when the gadget exploded with an energy force of around twenty kilotons of TNT. The mighty explosion vaporized the steel tower, leaving behind a ten-foot crater of radioactive glass. Feeling the intense heat and shock wave strike his bunker, Oppenheimer was reminded of a line from a piece of Hindu scripture:
“Now I become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”
800px-Trinity_explosion2-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Japan is in trouble. And good job at Yalta, you saved many people from the Soviets.

Well at least Mao has done the honourable thing and committed suicide. Oh he may call it war with the Soviet Union, but it amounts to the same thing in practice. :D

El Pip said:
Well at least Mao has done the honourable thing and committed suicide. Oh he may call it war with the Soviet Union, but it amounts to the same thing in practice. :D

El Pip, as ever you crack me up :rofl:

Le Jones said:
El Pip, as ever you crack me up :rofl:

Same here. :rofl: You should to standup comedy or something.

Lord Strange: Thank you, although I think it will take more than dropping an atomic bomb to convice Japan to surrender.

trekaddict: Nukes...good old nukes...they are all mine!!! *insert evil laughter*

El Pip: Yeah, nothing says suicide quite like annoying Joseph Stalin. :p

Le Jones: El Pip does have a way with humor. :D

trekaddict: He also has a habit of making good points.
The Potsdam Conference
At the same time the Manhattan Project was facing its’ moment of truth, the President stepped onto Belgian soil at Antwerp after spending a week crossing the Atlantic. Dewey had returned to Europe to meet with Churchill and Stalin for a second time. From Antwerp, he flew to Potsdam (a wooded suburb of Berlin). Cecilienhof, the site of the Potsdam Conference, had once been the home of Crown Prince Wilhelm Hohenzollern. For the third and final “Big Three” conference, which began on July 17th, Dewey presided over the proceedings.
potsdamer_konferenz-1.jpg

In the midst of discussing various issues with his British and Soviet counterparts, Dewey learned of the successful outcome of the Trinity Test. Now that the United States was armed with nuclear weapons, the President made the decision – against Churchill’s advice – not to inform Stalin about it. “It’s too good a hand to show everybody,” he explained. As for Stalin, he would later be outraged at Dewey for not sharing the information with him.
article-0-0287EE14000005DC-57_46-1.jpg

After lengthy discussions, the three men wrapped up the conference on August 2nd with an official agreement. Among other things:
-A Council of Foreign Ministers would be established to coordinate diplomatic activity between the “Big Three”
-The postwar fate of Europe was finalized as agreed to at Yalta
-The prosecution of major Nazi leaders for war crimes would be conducted at Nuremberg
-Postwar Asia would undergo a partitioning similar to that in Europe
The final item was the Empire of Japan. The Japanese were offered a chance to unconditionally surrender now or face “prompt and utter destruction.”
At the time, the Soviets were fighting their way across Manchukuo and the United States was making final preparations for launching Operations Clamp and Downfall. When the Japanese quickly rejected the surrender demand, Dewey had no other choice but to give Eisenhower the final go-ahead for the twin operations to commence.
"It was the most difficult decision I had to make as President," Dewey later stated, "I knew I was sending our brave men into near-certain death. I knew that we would be faced with unimaginable bloodshed on both sides. That is never an easy decision to make, no matter how necessary it is."
Task_Force_38_off_the_coast_of_J-1.jpg

The Invasion of Japan
With the Potsdam Conference wrapped up, Dewey wasted no time in heading home. After making a brief layover in the United Kingdom to have lunch with King George VI, the President sailed back across the Atlantic. Throughout the trip, Japan weighed heavily on his mind. In recent weeks, the American naval and aerial assaults on Japan and Korea were greatly intensified. Attention was particularly paid to Southern Korea and Southern Kyushu, where the landings were about to take place. On the morning of August 6th, under the protection of a mass umbrella of carrier aircrafts, transports ferrying the Marines from Okinawa arrived on the beaches of Jeju and Southern Kyushu. The twin invasions had finally begun.
Marines_land_on_Okinawa_shores-1.jpg

Of the two amphibious assaults conducted that day, Jeju proved to be the easiest. Marines landing on the volcanic island encountered no opposition. The Japanese division that had been on the island was among those transferred to Manchukuo. Without firing a shot, the Americans secured the island. From Jeju, the Marines would continue north and gain a foothold on the Korean Peninsula. By contrast, Southern Kyushu proved to be a bloody affair. Marines landing on the beaches (named after automobiles such as Buick and Cadillac) came up against fierce Japanese resistance. Taking advantage of the island’s mountainous terrain, the Japanese had dug in and proceeded to open fire on the Americans from defensive positions near the beaches. As they had throughout the Pacific campaign, the Marines fought fiercely. Despite tenacious opposition, the courageous Marines succeeded in securing beachheads on Japanese home soil.
OkinawaMarineCaveDemolition-1.jpg

The battle for Kyushu lasted a month and ultimately cost the Americans thirty-one thousand casualties (by comparison, the September 1862 American Civil War Battle of Antietam took place over the course of a single day and created a combined total of twenty-three thousand casualties). The Japanese suffered thirty-nine thousand casualties (including both the military and civilians). Civilians who weren’t killed found themselves under American occupation. Despite Japanese propaganda warning that the enemy would go on a rampage of horrible atrocities, the civilians found themselves being treated humanely by the Americans. Instead of being on the receiving end of rape and torture, the people of Kyushu received food and medical aide. In planning the invasion of Japan, Eisenhower and others were deeply aware of the opposition they would face from the civilian population and wanted to do whatever it took to minimize it. American soldiers advancing across Japan were under strict orders not to stir up civilians. Anyone who disobeyed orders was strongly punished. The go-easy-on-them approach did much to ease tensions behind the front line.
OkinawaCivilians-1.jpg

With Kyushu in American hands, the fighting shifted northeast to Honshu (Japan’s main island and the seventh largest in the world). In making the shift, the invasion strategy itself also changed. The Navy – which had spearheaded the drive across the Pacific – had become sidelined to providing coastal bombardment and carrier support. The Air Force now assumed the role of spearhead, softening up the military resistance and squashing out the kamikaze before they could strike. The Army, of course, bore the brunt of the intense combat. Working in sync, the three military branches slowly pushed the enemy back. In early September, the Commander-in-Chief (closely monitoring the invasions of Japan and Korea from the White House) made a decision he would spend the rest of his life regretting. Appalled at the lost of life suffered just to capture Kyushu, Dewey ordered the top-secret atomic bomb to finally be used against Japan. He hoped that using the powerful weapon would shock the enemy into surrendering; thus sparing further bloodshed.
Atombombe_Little_Boy_2-1.jpg

At the time, the United States only possessed one atomic bomb. As a result, the target had to be carefully selected. Furthermore, to avoid friendly fire, the target had to be far away from the front line. Initially, Oppenheimer recommended targeting the ancient Japanese capital of Kyoto in order to psychologically shock and awe Japanese intellectuals. However, that recommendation ran into a road block. At the start of the bombing campaign against Japan, Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson strictly forbade the Air Force from attacking Kyoto for personal reasons. Having spent his honeymoon there in 1893, he had come to greatly admire Kyoto’s cultural landmarks. Stimson’s successor, Alf M. Landon, maintained the leave-Kyoto-alone policy. The beautiful city would ultimately emerge from the war practically untouched. Sadly, the same can’t be said for the city that was selected to be the target of the world’s first nuclear strike: Nagoya.
Nagoya_Castle_in_1933-1.jpg

The third largest industrial city in Japan, Nagoya was home to a major port. Founded by Tokugawa Ieyasu (the first Edo shogun) in 1610, the city was best known for its’ seventeenth-century castle and the Atsuta Shinto Shrine (the second-most venerable shrine in Japan). Having authorized the nuking of Nagoya, Dewey then handed the responsibility over to Chief of the Army Air Forces Carl A. Spaatz.
4037abf7477430f5_landing-1.jpg

A West Pointer and World War One veteran, Spaatz had been in charge of the Air Force since the beginning of 1945. From his headquarters on Okinawa, Spaatz was directing the air war against Japan when he received orders from the Commander-in-Chief to nuke Nagoya. As the commander of the Third Air Force, Spaatz selected his 4th USAAF Strategic Bomber Wing squadron of Boeing B-29 Superfortresses to conduct the unprecedented mission. The lucky Superfortress assigned the task of dropping the world’s first atomic bomb would be the Enola Gay – piloted by Colonel Paul Tibbets.
B-29_Enola_Gay_w_Crews-1.jpg

For the special mission, Tibbets and his crew would be accompanied by two other Superfortresses: one carrying scientific instrumentation and the other carrying photography equipment. On the morning of September 7th, the three Superfortresses took off from Fukuoka bound for Nagoya. With the Americans enjoying air superiority, Tibbets and the others had no problem flying their ninety-nine-foot-long four-engine propeller-driven strategic bombers to their target: Nagoya Castle. At 8:15 A.M., the Enola Gay arrived over the city in clear visibility at just over thirty-two-thousand-feet. With bomb bay doors open, the atomic bomb – codenamed Little Boy – was released and entered a state of free fall. Fifty-seven seconds later, Little Boy detonated two-thousand-feet directly above its’ target. Nagoya Castle instantly vaporized as the bomb created a blast equal to thirteen kilotons of TNT over a radius of one mile. Within second, virtually all of Nagoya was wiped out. Tens of thousands of people saw their lives literally end in a flash - with untold suffering to come to the survivors.
509px-Atomic_cloud_over_Hiroshim-2.jpg

In the end, Dewey’s gamble to shock the Japanese government into surrender failed. Rather than discuss surrender, Prime Minister Hideki Tojo instead vowed that his country would fight on to the bitter end. Therefore, the Americans had no choice but to fight on. By the beginning of October, both Pyongyang and Osaka were occupied. For the Japanese, nothing was going right that autumn. Even India, the scene of glorious conquest two years earlier, was turning sour. In the fall of 1943, having broken through Allied defensive lines in Burma, the Japanese invaded India and wrestled the subcontinent away from the British (taking out Bhutan and Nepal in the process). Tokyo soon learned what London had already known: controlling India is rather tricky. As they had elsewhere, the Japanese were brutal and repressive in their occupation of India. They were particularly tough on Indian nationalists. Whereas the British had responded to their calls for self-determination by throwing them in jail, the Japanese responded by killing them off. For instance, Mahatma Gandhi, known worldwide for his nonviolent resistance to British colonial rule, was beheaded by a Japanese officer. This, in turn, transformed Gandhi into a martyr.
Gandhi_Juhu_May1944-1.jpg

The execution of Gandhi and the elimination of the pro-independence leadership turned out to be a bad decision for the Japanese (although there were those in London who privately were relieved that these “headaches” had been removed). These killings only intensified the opposition of the Indian civilian population towards their new occupiers. Horrified by the atrocities and brutality the Japanese committed without a second thought (which made the previous British occupation seem kindhearted by comparison), partisan revolts broke out throughout India (except in Ceylon, an island off the Southeast coast of India which remained in British hands).
IND_002994_7th_Indian_Division_Sikh.jpg

The partisan attacks tied down occupational forces, causing the Japanese advance westward to ground to a halt at Karachi. With the enemy stalled, the British and her Commonwealth allies took advantage of the situation to build up forces in Persia in order to take back India. In the summer of 1945, as a prelude to the American invasions of Japan and Korea, the Allies attacked Karachi. With manpower and supplies overextended, the Japanese defensive lines shattered like glass. With the United States Navy blockading the home islands, the Japanese lacked the reinforcements needed to check the Allied advance. Just as rapidly as the British Raj had collapsed two years earlier, the Japanese Raj too was quickly overwhelmed. The Allies raced across India, welcomed everywhere they went as liberators. By the beginning of October, only a few pockets of Japanese resistance remained in Southern India. The rest of the Imperial Japanese Army had been driven back to the jungles of Burma – the frontline more-or-less returning to where it was in 1943.
ScreenSave72.jpg

Although the Japanese occupation of India only lasted two years, it changed the subcontinent forever. It greatly strengthened the Indian movement towards independence and the need for collective security. With Gandhi and the other nationalists all killed off, landowners, native princes, and conservative pragmatists stepped forward to lead the subcontinent.
290.jpg

The final three months of 1945 saw the Americans capturing the island of Shikoku and fighting their war across Honshu – culminating in the capture of Tokyo on December 10th. Over on the Korean Peninsula, Operation Clamp came to a successful end. Having been ruled by the Japanese for thirty-five years, the Korean people were now free thanks to the Americans. However, for logistical reasons, the Dewey Administration held back on officially liberating Korea until after the end of the war. Sadly, that end still looked distant as 1946 dawned. Even after being driven out of the capital, Tojo’s government insisted on continuing the fight.
ScreenSave73.jpg

Last edited:
Still going strong. Great work, mr madien. Are you going to keep going after the defeat of the Japanese or continue on is search of greater glory? Germany and Japan(nearly) defeated in less than 10 threads. Keep it up

While you have to admire the Japanese fighting spirit, you do have to question the sanity of it. With US troops advancing in both Korea and Japan, things are looking very bleak anyway. After seeing an entire city vanish and being forced out of your capital surely you'd give up?

It's not even like there is a back up plan for after Japan is conquered, no safe haven for the government to fall back on, just retreat on all fronts.

It seems that the nuke hasn't changed very much...

Kurt_Steiner said:
It seems that the nuke hasn't changed very much...

In another AH I read a while back the Japanese hoped after Hiroshima that the US had built this weapon only once and were incapable of ever producing another one.

trekaddict said:
In another AH I read a while back the Japanese hoped after Hiroshima that the US had built this weapon only once and were incapable of ever producing another one.

I think I've read something like that, too, with the same consequences.. Too much Nippon stubborness, perhaps.

Nathan Madien said:
The Big Three agreed to restore territory they currently controlled to Austria, Greece, and Norway.

And Slovenia, unless I´m mistaken with that map?

Nathan Madien said:
Stalin did score a major diplomatic victory when he was allowed to control Eastern Europe. Finland, the Baltic region, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria all fell under Soviet domination. As for the rest of Europe, democracies would be installed in the countries formally occupied by the Axis.

While no one denies the horrendous sacrifices Soviet civilians and the Red Army had to endure in order to save themselves and whole Europe from Nazism, when it all comes down to expanding Stalin´s nearly-as-bad totalitarian tyranny to Eastern Europe I can hardly rejoice about the outcome.

And please do mention Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania by the name - no matter how small they are, they were still the only European national states that were outright annexed after WWII. So much for noble principles of the Atlantic Charter...

In the other news the Japanese military leadership seems to be as crazy as ever, while Soviet Hungary and Bulgaria seem to have received more land at the expense of Yugoslavia, Slovakia, Romania and Greece.

ever read 1945? that quite realistically has japan refusing to surrender after the two bombs have gone off. its a bit ridiculous thinking they'll never be able to build another.

Teep: Thank you. After Japan is defeated, I don't plan on making any more enemies. That being said, the AI has this annoying habit of launching a war between the Soviet Union and the United States.

El Pip: In Japanese culture, surrender is not an option. To be honorable, you have to fight until you get killed. That's why the Japanese historically sustained horrible losses during the Pacific War. Unlike other cultures, the Japanese did not believe in giving up if it became clear that you were going to lose the battle.

That's exactly what is going to happen, El Pip.

Kurt_Steiner: No, but it added flavor to the game.

trekaddict: Right now, I don't have another atomic bomb to use.

Kurt_Steiner: I am just going to have to keep fighting until I can annex Japan.

Karelian: Slovenia is an American puppet I released right before the game brought back Yugoslavia. The reason I released Slovenia is...well...because I could.

Look on the bright side: Albania, the western half of Czechoslovakia, Germany, and Yugoslavia are all democratic nations. They didn't fall to Communist influence as they did historically. While the Soviet control of Eastern Europe is bad, I was able to somewhat rollback their extension.

I have nothing against Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. I mean, my father's side of the family came from Lithuania. It is just easier to classify them as "the Baltic region". I mean, it is easier to say "that cold front is going to sweep over New England" than "that cold front is going to sweep over Connecticut (where I was born), Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine."

Noble idealism is no match for stark reality.

After the war in Europe ended in my game, I went in and gave Soviet-controlled provinces to the respective puppets. That's why the map of Europe looks the way it does. I did mini-modding in order to get the present map of Europe to fit my liking - and I will do the same for Asia.

BritishImperial: I haven't read 1945, although I probably should now that you have brought it up. Thanks. :)
1946 Overview of the Dewey Administration
ScreenSave74.jpg
ScreenSave75.jpg

ScreenSave76.jpg

Army
Infantry: 40
Cavalry: 13
Motorized: 9
Mechanized: 3
Armored: 23
Paratroop: 6
Marine: 14
Mountaineer: 14
Garrison: 8
Headquarters: 8
Militia: 10
Navy
Battleship: 27
Light Cruiser: 32
Heavy Cruiser: 20
Battlecruiser: 11
Destroyer Group: 48
Carrier: 15
Light Carrier: 10
Submarine: 9
Transport: 30
Air Force
Fighter: 6
Interceptor: 9
Strategic Bomber: 7
Tactical Bomber: 11
Naval Bomber: 7
Close Air Support: 7
Transport: 7
1946 – The Year of the Dog
After securing Honshu in early January 1946, all eyes turned to Hokkaido. A mountainous island smaller than Ireland, the Imperial Japanese Army made Hokkaido their last stand in the defense of the home islands. More intense fighting followed before the island finally fell. On April 1st, the invasion of Japan officially came to an end. Operation Downfall was a success, but it came at a terrible cost. In the eight months it took to secure Korea and Japan, two-hundred-forty-eight-thousand Americans were killed. The failed effort to save their homeland from occupation resulted in three-hundred-twelve-thousand Japanese lives lost. Even then, the fighting continued – Tojo’s government was now based at Saigon in Indochina. However, even Saigon didn’t appear to be safe. Having driven the Japanese out of Burma, the British marched into Siam and knocked the country out of the war. This greatly endangered the Japanese position in Indochina.
ScreenSave77.jpg

That spring, the Americans and the Soviets invaded Northern China. Manchukuo, having been in existence since 1932, was wiped off the map. As they would throughout the campaign in China, the Red Army focused on the interior while the United States Army stayed close to the coastline in order to receive naval support. Mengkukuo, a Japanese puppet created during the conquest of Nationalist China nearly a decade earlier, was also swallowed up by the Red Army. Far to the south, the British completed their drive to retake Singapore after the Japanese had dramatically captured the major military base four years earlier (Churchill had called the fall of Singapore “the worst disaster and largest capitulation in British history”).
ScreenSave78.jpg

The fighting stretched into summer. Unlike the Japanese, the Nationalist Chinese didn’t attempt to fight to the bitter end. Sick of being subservient, they refused to sacrifice themselves further in order to slow the inevitable. Despite strict orders to fight and die, many Nationalist Chinese soldiers simply threw down their arms and gave themselves up. Only the Communist Chinese fought hard against the Soviets – not to help the Japanese but to delay Stalin’s wrath for as long as possible. With China collapsing, Tojo’s government found itself being hemmed in by American, Soviet, British, and French forces on three sides.
ScreenSave79.jpg

With the Allies converging on China, the noose around Japan's neck tightened. France’s return to Indochina forced Tojo’s government to relocate to Hong Kong. In mid-October, the British isolated Hainan (a fourteen-thousand-square-mile-island jutting out into the South China Sea) from outside support. Since Hainan was heavily defended by several trapped enemy divisions, Churchill asked Dewey if he would be willing to soften up the island with an atomic bomb. Since the United States had another one in her possession, Dewey agreed to Churchill’s request. On the morning of October 23rd, a Boeing B-29 Superfortress called the Bockscar took off from British-occupied Hanoi bound for Hainan – escorted by four other Superfortresses. Bockscar’s commander, Major Charles Sweeney, was instructed to drop the atomic bomb – codenamed Fat Man – on the main enemy base outside the port city of Haikou. At 11:01 A.M., Fat Man was dropped from Bockscar and detonated forty-three seconds later. Exploding one-thousand-five-hundred feet above the target, Fat Man unleashed a blast yield equal to twenty-one kilotons of TNT that not only obliterated the base but also completely destroyed nearby Haikou in the process. Twenty-thousand people were killed in this second nuclear strike.
509px-Nagasakibomb-1.jpg

For the rest of the year, American, British, and Soviet forces continued to push deeper into China. With each passing day, total victory grew one step closer to becoming reality. Republican Senator John A. Danaher of Connecticut summed it up best:
“It won’t be long now.”
It was a sentiment that many Americans shared. Despite all the hardships and sacrifices, people generally felt that it would soon be all over. On November 5th, they had the opportunity to make their voices heard. By a twist of timing, the British capture of Hainan took place as American voters headed to the polls to cast their votes for the midterm election. The Republican Party was rewarded for its’ handling of the war with an thirty-five seat increase of their majority in the House of Representatives and fourteen seats in the Senate – giving the G.O.P. majority status there for the first time since 1933. With the incoming Eightieth Congress firmly in Republican hands, the President believed he could simply get his postwar agenda rubberstamped – whether or not that would actually happen remained to be seen. The composition of the new Congress:
-House of Representatives: 267 Republicans; 167 Democrats; 1 Labor
-Senate: 59 Republicans; 37 Democrats
Among the happy Republicans was Richard M. Nixon. A lawyer and navy veteran, Nixon was recruited by a group of influential Republicans to battle five-term Democratic incumbent Jerry Voorhis over a Californian seat in the House of Representatives. Running an aggressive campaign, Nixon painted Voorhis as ineffectual and having Communist support. On Election Day, Nixon triumphed.
nixon_b.jpg

Among the freshman Republican Senators was Joseph McCarthy. An attorney and former Marine, McCarthy had viciously attacked Progressive Senator Robert M. La Follette, Jr. in the 1946 Wisconsin Republican Senate primary. After crushing La Follette, the Republican Senate nominee went on to defeat Democratic challenger Howard J. McMurray in a landslide. McCarthy’s career in the Senate would start off as unremarkable; however, postwar events would soon transform the popular speaker into a national figure.
071be18f01aa31ef_landing-1.jpg

Despite losing the Senate and being shrunk down to minority status, 1946 wasn’t a total loss for Democrats. They did score some wins on Election Day. For instance, Missouri Senator Harry S. Truman, fresh off his co-chairmanship of the Emergency Food Council, brushed aside a Republican challenge by James P. Kem to win his third term by a comfortable margin. When the Eightieth Congress convened, Truman was elected by his colleagues to serve as Senate Minority Whip. The second-ranking Democrat in the Senate (behind Minority Leader Alben Barkley of Kentucky), it became Truman’s job to gather votes on major issues.
7b9ff1d1b6e24e45_landing-1.jpg

On the House of Representative side, the most notable winner was John F. Kennedy. The son of former United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom Joseph P. Kennedy, Jack (as he was called) had seen action in the Pacific as the commander of a patrol torpedo boat. After being honorably discharged in early 1945, the young man entered politics a year later when Representative James M. Curley vacated his seat to become the Mayor of Boston, Massachusetts instead. Running for Curley’s seat, Jack won in an overwhelmingly Democratic district.
joel0121_0-1.jpg

Last edited:
The Cold war is going to be interesting. It seems as if China will too be split into the RoC and the PRC, but the RoC seems to get the more industrialized areas.