• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
hey now, dont knock churchill's drunkeness too much - he's still the greatest leader of the period (in my biased eyes) having pretty much single-handedly kept britain fighting. i think in that situation i'd be drinking rather a lot too.

800 views means the aar has been accessed on 800 different occasions.

no change in europe then, same old hitler, always annexing.

800 views means that people have clicked on this aar 800 times. :p
Or smthin. :rolleyes:

Ah, Hitler only wants Lebensraum in the East, why would the french and angls be brothered to sacrifice their blood for some poles who won't anyways have a change of survival between Germany and Russija?

El Pip: That reminds me - my great grandfather served as an anti-tank gunner in the 395th Infantry Division. :D

BritishImperial: Yes, Churchill was a very good leader. However, even good leaders have their flaws.

Ah. So my AAR has now been accessed over 800 times. That's a lot, I think.

Yup, Europe is pretty much running on her historical course. Don't expect me to follow history once the USA gets into the war, though. ;)

Enewald: Now it is approaching 1,000 views.

Pat Buchanan has written an interesting book on this very question called "Churchill, Hitler, and the Unnecessary War."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Lightning Strikes
In the summer of 1939, Asia returned to the forefront of global attention. Two years after a clash at the Marco Polo Bridge triggered a full-scale war between Japan and Nationalist China, the Second Sino-Japanese War finally came to an end. Despite heroic resistance and generous support from the United States and the Soviet Union, Nationalist China proved unable to withstand the military might of Japan. On July 22nd, hoping for mercy from the Japanese, Nationalist President Lin Sen sued for peace. From Tokyo, Prime Minister Kiichiro Hiranuma laid down the peace terms.
160px-Kiichiro_Hiranuma.jpg

The terms proved to be anything but merciful. The days of self-sovereignty for the Chinese people were over. Instead, Japan would rule the land with an iron fist. All of China would be consolidated into a loyal puppet nation. Although he would stay on as President, Sen would be nothing more than a mere figurehead. Wang Chonghui, handpicked by Tokyo, would be the one calling the shots instead.
ScreenSave24.jpg

Being forced to sign the humiliating peace treaty on the Marco Polo Bridge, Sen believed there was nothing more he could do. His people would simply have to bear the unbearable. However, that would be easier said than done. The Chinese citizens had whatever independence they enjoyed stripped from them. Every aspect of their lives would be tightly controlled by their Japanese masters. They were to be exploited; anyone who tried to resist would be brutally punished. In short, the people of China would become slaves of the Empire of Japan. This harsh treatment created bitter Chinese resentment towards Japan which lingers to this day. By stark contrast, the Japanese were ecstatic. Across the Japanese home islands came great celebrations over their hard-earned victory. Finally, they had achieved their longstanding aim of achieving hegemony over China. The Land of the Rising Sun now had an undisputed empire in Asia and was free to completely absorb the resources of their Chinese pawn in order to enjoy self-sustaining prosperity. Once her Chinese appetite was satisfied, Japan would begin to search hungrily for more Asian food to devour.
japrop03-1-1-1-1.jpg

In a gesture of goodwill, Hiranuma granted Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek and his wife Soong May-ling safe passage out of China. Forced into exile, they were invited by the Roosevelt Administration to immigrate to the United States. Upon arriving in San Francisco, California, the Chinese couple was welcomed with open arms. Sympathetic towards Nationalist China, the American public responded quite negatively to the Japanese conquest of the country. Kai-shek and his wife were therefore seen as heroes driven off their homeland by cruel barbarians. Greeting them in San Francisco was Lieutenant General Joseph Stilwell. Appointed by the President, Stilwell was there to help the newly-arrived couple settle down in the city’s famous Chinatown district.
Chiang_Kai_Shek_and_wife_with_Li-1.jpg

A month later, on August 24th, Europe was stunned by news coming out of Moscow. Fierce ideological enemies, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union had decided their differences were not worth keeping. Together, they reached and signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact in Moscow. Named after Soviet Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov and German Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop, the pact installed non-aggression policies between the two nations. In addition, it secretly divided Eastern Europe into Nazi and Soviet spheres of influence. Shortly after the pact had been signed, Soviet Lieutenant General Georgy Zhukov decisively defeated the Japanese in the Battle of Khalkhin Gol – on the Mongolia-Manchukuo border. In the wake of the battle, Moscow and Tokyo signed a non-aggression pact on September 15th. With the German and Japanese threat neutralized for the time being, General Secretary Joseph Stalin was allowed to build up his leadership-purged military without the fear of a two-front war hanging over him.
MolotovRibbentropStalin-1.jpg

Meanwhile, across the Atlantic, most Americans weren’t paying much attention to developing events in Europe. Instead, they were looking forward to a bright future at home. Nothing symbolized their optimism more than the 1939 New York World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows Park, New York.
1939fairhelicline-1.jpg

Over forty-four million people visited the fair to take a glimpse into “the World of Tomorrow”. Among the highlights of the international showcase was the introduction of a new invention which would eventually come to revolutionize the way people saw themselves and the world around them: television. Major American companies like Westinghouse, General Motors, Ford, and IBM all hosted exhibits reflecting their views of the future. A total of sixty nations participated in the New York World’s Fair. Only one major country was absent from the festivities: Germany. Having his own vision of “the World of Tomorrow”, Hitler saw no reason for his country to get involved. On the last night of August, attendees were enjoying another incredible evening. All of a sudden, the lights illuminating the Polish pavilion died out. Those visiting the Polish pavilion were literally left in the dark until a chilling announcement was made:
“Ladies and gentlemen, word has just reached us that Germany is marching into Poland.”
Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-056-1-1.jpg

"Dai Nippon Teikoku" means "Empire of Japan" in Japanese. The poster doesn't take into account the fact that Communist China and Tibet are independent.

Last edited:
I do sometimes wonder at the portrait of Lenin at the signing of the M-R treaty. Good old Ilich seems to be thinking

"WTF?"

:D

Excellent development of the AAR! More! More!

Stalin does look the only one happy in the picture, then I suppose he is also the only person completely safe from being a victim of the Purges. :)

Well, now that China's tumbled, uhoh. On the up side I'm sure Chiang's made it out of the country with tons of hard cash and precious artwork.

Kurt_Steiner: I am sure there are plenty of times dead old Lenin has thought "WTF?"

El Pip: My favorite guy in the picture is the one of the left side. He's just staring at the camera, waiting to feel his legs. :p

Faeelin: Yeah, uh oh. Now I will probably have to invade China later. :( One of the reasons why I hate going to war with Japan.

I like the idea of Kai-shek being forced out of the country and having to take up residence in San Francisco. Instead of having to retreat to Taiwan, Kai-shek will now have to look at the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz every day.
Fall Weiss
In the early hours of August 30th, Germany staged a series of attacks on their own radio stations along their border with Poland. Disguised in Polish uniforms, German operatives raided the radio stations and left behind dead bodies – also dressed in Polish uniforms. Later that day, Hitler addressed the Reichstag:
“Deputies, if the German Government and its Leader patiently endured such treatment Germany would deserve only to disappear from the political stage. But I am wrongly judged if my love of peace and my patience are mistaken for weakness or even cowardice. I, therefore, decided last night and informed the British Government that in these circumstances I can no longer find any willingness on the part of the Polish Government to conduct serious negotiations with us.
These proposals for mediation have failed because in the meanwhile there, first of all, came as an answer the sudden Polish general mobilization, followed by more Polish atrocities. These were again repeated last night. Recently in one night there were as many as twenty-one frontier incidents: last night there were fourteen, of which three were quite serious. I have, therefore, resolved to speak to Poland in the same language that Poland for months past has used toward us. This attitude on the part of the Reich will not change.”

cq63909a8ef52c3fdf_landing-1-1-1.jpg

As he had proven throughout his life, Hitler was not above making stuff up in order to promote his agenda. The staged attacks of August 30th were just one more example of his manipulation skills. Early the next morning, with justification of self-defense behind him, the Fuhrer launched a full-scale invasion of Poland – codenamed Fall Weiss (Case White). As the Germans swept into the country, they utilized a new land doctrine which dictated that ground and air forces operate in unison to break through enemy lines and encircle their divisions. The new doctrine was called "Blitzkrieg".
790px-Junkers_Ju87-1.jpg

Outraged by the news of panzer tanks rolling across the Polish countryside, the Allies responded quickly by declaring war on Germany and Slovakia. Twenty years after the Treaty of Versailles brought an end to the “war to end all wars” a new war erupted across the European continent: World War Two.
Polish_infantry-1.jpg

The Polish forces put up a stiff resistance, but in the face of overwhelming German firepower, they were decimated. All they could do was to delay the inevitable. On October 7th, amidst chaos among the Poles, soldiers of the Wehrmacht marched proudly into the capital city of Warsaw.
800px-German_Troops_In_Warsaw-1.jpg

For their part, on October 9th, the Red Army attacked Eastern Poland. Trapped between two powerful pincers, it didn’t take long for Poland to capitulate. Three days later, Poland surrendered and was literally wiped off the map. The Polish population now found themselves under either German or Soviet occupation – both proved to be equally brutal.
ScreenSave25.jpg

From the safety of the White House, President Roosevelt watched the collapse of Poland and the refusal of the Allies to come to her aide with great alarm.
white-house-overview-c1939-1.jpg

The eruption of war placed the President in a precarious spot. Although he wanted to seek ways to help the Allies militarily, Roosevelt felt his actions would be sharply analyzed by the isolationist crowd. He didn’t want to risk encouraging their wrath by being too overt. Therefore, he chose to proceed slowly and carefully in getting America involved in the new European war. On September 3rd, FDR delivered his fourteenth fireside chat. In it, he proclaimed America’s neutrality while also implicitly stating his support for the Allies:
“And at this time let me make the simple plea that partisanship and selfishness be adjourned; and that national unity is the thought that underlies all others.
This nation will remain a neutral nation, but I cannot ask that every American remain neutral in thought as well. Even a neutral has a right to take account of facts. Even a neutral cannot be asked to close his mind or close his conscience.
I have said not once but many times that I have seen war and that I hate war. I say that again and again.
I hope the United States will keep out of this war. I believe that it will. And I give you assurance and reassurance that every effort of your Government will be directed toward that end.
As long as it remains within my power to prevent, there will be no blackout of peace in the United States.”

09-1821a-1.gif

The first step the Roosevelt Administration took to aide the Allies was to convince Congress to pass the Neutrality Act of 1939 on November 4th. Under it, the earlier Neutrality Acts were revised and permitted the President to supply the United Kingdom and France on a cash-and-carry basis. That meant the Allies could buy supplies from America as long as they transported their purchases themselves and that they made their payments in cash currency. The President also secretly engaged in private correspondence with his new British friend, First Lord of the Admiralty Winston Churchill. Now that Chamberlain had been humiliated by the utter failure to prevent war, Roosevelt suspected that the "I told you so" Churchill might become the new Prime Minister. As a result, the President wanted to develop relations with the First Lord of the Admiralty before that happened.
cq437290f5e7a05b97_landing-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
The 1939 Neutrality Act was particularly un-neutral, not that I'm complaining mind, just it was a quite ironic name. :)

Actually Allies and soviets should be in war since UK was guaranteeing their independence and SU attacked Poland with armed forces while the poles fought against them also.
So mod them into a war? :D
It is allways unlogical in hoi2. :eek:o

And not thirty years after versailles. ;) twenty

El Pip: I thought about your Butterfly AAR when I wrote about the 1939 Neutrality Act. As you said, it's kinda weird. "We shall remain neutral...but FDR, feel free to help the Allies."

Enewald: Now that you mention it, Enewald, it does seem odd that the Allies don't declare war on the Soviet Union. Then again, they didn't do that historically. Besides, it isn't like London and Paris are going to help Warsaw anyways. "We care about your independence, Poland. However, if you get into a war you are screwed and on your own." Aren't having allies great? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I just noticed that. I meant to type "twenty" but I typed "thirty" instead. I shall make that correction. :eek:o
1940 Overview of the Roosevelt Administration
ScreenSave26.jpg
ScreenSave27.jpg

ScreenSave28.jpg

Army
Infantry: 21
Cavalry: 4
Light Armored: 3
Armored: 5
Marine: 7
Mountaineer: 4
Garrison: 3
Headquarters: 1
Militia: 1
Navy
Battleship: 15
Light Cruiser: 12
Heavy Cruiser: 16
Destroyer Group: 34
Carrier: 4
Submarine: 18
Transport: 24
Air Force
Interceptor: 3
Strategic Bomber: 1
Tactical Bomber: 5
Naval Bomber: 1
Close Air Support: 1
Transport: 1
The Scandinavian Front
After the destruction of Poland in October 1939, the Second World War strangely entered into a period of minor activity. With the exception of aerial bombings in Western Europe and naval action in the Atlantic, there was rarely any fighting on the ground between the principal combatants. Republican Senator William Borah of Idaho summed it up best when he called this period “the Phony War”.
Hitlerwarn-1.png

The sole exception to this was the Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union. On November 15th, in accordance to the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, Stalin demanded border provinces from Finland. When the Finnish government told him to get lost, Stalin exploded in rage and declared war on the former Russian Grand Duchy.
Winter_war-1.jpg

For the next two months, the Soviets vainly sought to defeat their enemy. The Swedish-backed Finns proved to be fierce adversaries, using hit-and-run tactics in the middle of a freezing winter to inflict heavy losses on the Soviets. The Red Army also had yet to recover from paranoid Stalin’s devastating purges and was not the strong soldiers Moscow propaganda portrayed them to be. By the middle of January 1940, the poorly-prepared Soviets had enough of their winter war. On January 16th, having suffered huge losses, an embarrassed Stalin sued for peace. In the Moscow Peace Treaty, Finland ceded their part of Karelia to the Soviet Union. It was a hollow victory which made the Red Army look like a joke before the eyes of the world.
Bt5_10.jpg

Less than two months later, on March 4th, the peace of the Phony War came to a shattering end. On that day, Germany launched Fall Weserubung: their invasion of Denmark and Norway. The mission was to secure the importing of Swedish iron ore that was so important for German industries before the Allies could cut the supply lines off. Three days into Fall Weserubung, Denmark folded under German demands for her surrender. In addition to gaining a good staging ground for the advance on Norway, controlling Denmark also gave Germany master control over the entrance to the Baltic Sea.
Weserbung-Sd_Panzers-1.png

From Denmark, Hitler sent his forces into Norway. In addition to securing the iron ore, control of Norway would also give the Germans important military bases to strengthen their position in the North Sea. To wage war against Norwegian forces, the Wehrmacht worked closely together with the Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe. Unlike Denmark, Norway would prove to be a tough country to conquer. It would not be until May 8th when she finally surrendered; thus securing Germany's northern front and allowing her to focus attention elsewhere.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-H26353_Nor-1.jpg

Fall Weserubung became a turning point in World War Two…not so much for the campaign itself but for an unintended consequence she triggered. In his office at Number 10 Downing Street in London, Chamberlain distressfully swallowed the news that Denmark had fallen and Norway was not too far behind. Once hailed as the savior of Europe for the Munich Agreement, the Prime Minister was now being treated as the British Herbert Hoover. With Chamberlain in charge, nothing seemed to be going right for the British war effort. By early April, he was under siege in the House of Commons by members of his own Conservative Party. Even one of his closest friends, prominent Conservative backbencher Leo Amery, went on the attack with a famous quote from Oliver Cromwell:
“You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go.”
Realizing his premiership was over Chamberlain announced his resignation on April 12th. For the name of his successor, Foreign Minister Lord Halifax was originally offered the premiership. Despite his connections to appeasement, Halifax was widely popular with the Conservative Party, the Royal Family, and – to a degree – the opposition. The job was his for the taking; however, Halifax was deeply reluctant to take it. Ultimately, he declined the job on political grounds.
cq64241055ffa72bd1_landing-1.jpg

This left the door wide open for Chamberlain’s most vocal opponent to be recommended to succeed him: none other than Winston Churchill. He got the job. On April 15th, three days after replacing Chamberlain, Churchill delivered his first speech as Prime Minister. In it, he vowed to continue the fight against Germany no matter what:
“To form an Administration of this scale and complexity is a serious undertaking in itself, but it must be remembered that we are in the preliminary stage of one of the greatest battles in history, that we are in action at many other points in Norway, that we have to be prepared in the Mediterranean, that the air battle is continuous and that many preparations, such as have been indicated by my hon. Friend below the Gangway, have to be made here at home. In this crisis I hope I may be pardoned if I do not address the House at any length today. I hope that any of my friends and colleagues, or former colleagues, who are affected by the political reconstruction, will make allowance, all allowance, for any lack of ceremony with which it has been necessary to act. I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this government: ‘I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.’
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Let that be realized; no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal. But I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men. At this time I feel entitled to claim the aid of all, and I say, ‘come then, let us go forward together with our united strength.’”

Churchill_V_sign_HU_55521-1.jpg

A few weeks later, the new Prime Minister would be sorely tested when Germany made her next move.

Last edited:
Btw, there was a war between SU and UK in 1939. It was not just spoken aloud. And a peace was never made. :p
The un-official war continues officially still today... :D

Enewald: Oh, yeah. The Great Mute War. How could I have forgotten about it? :eek:
The Battle of France
Even as Norway was being beaten into submission, plans were being undertaken in Berlin to expand the Third Reich westward. Remembering first hand the horrific stalemate on the Western Front which had sapped Germany of her fighting will during World War One, Hitler was anxious to avoid a repeat of that unpleasant fate. He therefore approved Fall Gelb (Case Yellow), which called for a swift strike through the Low Countries. The key would be an armored breakthrough in the Ardennes Forest of Belgium. A rough and unlikely place to send tanks, the Germans hoped they could catch the Allies by surprise. By achieving a breakthrough in the Ardennes, the Wehrmacht could then dash to the English Channel and slash the enemy in two between France and the Low Countries. It was a gamble Hitler was willing to take.
1940-Fall_Gelb-1.jpg

On the night of May 2nd, Germany declared war on Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxemburg. She subsequently launched Fall Gelb. Incredibly, the Allies fell right into the trap. Believing they could reproduce the static warfare of the Great War, Allied forces rushed into the Low Countries in order to slow down the German advance. Those plans were then thrown into complete disarray as panzer units unexpectedly emerged from the Ardennes and pressed their advantage. Luxemburg surrendered within a week, followed by the capitulation of Belgium (on May 27th) and the Netherlands (on May 30th).
STUKA_OVER_SEDAN-1.jpg

After smashing their way through the Low Countries, the Germans launched a new operation: Fall Rot (Case Red). It refocused their efforts on breaking through the defenses of Northern France and storming into the country. As spring turned to summer, the Blitzkrieg hammered away at the weakening Allied forces. In late May, at the same time Italy and Hungary joined the war as members of the Axis, Hitler’s forces succeeded in breaking through enemy lines. On May 28th, the triumphant Wehrmacht captured Paris for the second time in seventy years.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-126-0350--1.jpg

With Paris in German hands, French morale plummeted and the Allied defense in France collapsed into rubble. The Germans ran amuck across the countryside, outflanking the impressive but ultimately useless Maginot Line and forcing Allied soldiers to retreat across the English Channel to the United Kingdom via Dunkirk, France (Operation Dynamo) in early June.
DUNKIRK1940-1.jpg

Finally, the French threw in the towel. On June 27th, they sued for peace with the Germans. Wishing to rub salt into their wounds, Hitler selected the small town of Compiegne, France as the site for the armistice negotiations. It was in Compiegne on November 11th, 1918 where the armistice that ended World War One with Germany’s defeat was signed. Twenty-two years later, Hitler wanted to turn the tables on his nation’s lifelong adversary. Worse for the French, they would have to sign the armistice in the same special railway carriage they used to humiliate the Germans on that historic day...and on the precise same spot as well.
kaf332.jpg

For the French, they had no choice but to be on the receiving end of humiliation. Under the armistice terms, much of France would fall under German occupation. The remainder would become a collaboration rump state. Governed by Marshal Philippe Petain, Vichy France would also be in charge of France’s vast colonial system. Angry, and viewing the Vichy government as a betrayal of French honor, General Charles de Gaulle created Free France in the exile capital of Brazzaville, French Africa to challenge their legitimacy and to continue the fight against the Axis.
ScreenSave29.jpg

Only the United Kingdom remained outside Hitler’s control. It became clear in a speech given to the House of Commons following the miraculous evacuation of Dunkirk that Churchill had no intention of giving up:
“I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation. The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength. Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.”
Across the Atlantic, Roosevelt listened to this speech. As much as he wanted to help Churchill, the President had a more pressing issue to deal with: the upcoming Presidential election.
09-2340a-1.gif

Last edited:
Karelian: The Soviet Union hasn't conquered Latvia yet. That's why it still exists.

Enewald: Charles de Gaulle - an ally you sometimes wish you could shoot.
The Election of 1940
In the fateful summer of 1940, Western Europe was conquered by the Third Reich, Churchill vowed to continue fighting the Germans who were now just across the English Channel, and Stalin occupied the Baltic States and the Bessarabia region of Romania. Although events across the Atlantic shifted public opinion towards greater sympathy for the Allies, the American people wanted their President to keep the country out of the war.
09-1823a-1.gif

Events overseas would serve as a backdrop for the upcoming Presidential election. The main question facing the Democratic Party was whether or not Roosevelt would step down. Ever since President George Washington said “No!” to the idea of a third term in 1796, every succeeding President had been expected to leave the White House at the end of their second term. Although some Presidents – like Ulysses S. Grant and Theodore Roosevelt – had flirted with the idea of a third term, the two-term tradition remained firmly entrenched. Men like Secretary of State Hull and Democratic National Committee Chairman James Farley assumed Roosevelt would stick with tradition and launched their bids to win the Democratic Presidential nomination from him.
cq75d1078317ab6c4b_landing-1.jpg

However, the battles in Western Europe gave the President the impression that only he possessed the experience needed to defend the country from the Nazis. Acting coyly, FDR dropped the word into the right ears that he would break with tradition if he could be drafted to do so. At the Democratic National Convention held in Chicago, Illinois during mid-July, party bosses carefully crafted a “Draft Roosevelt” movement. Amid planted shouts of “We want Roosevelt!” the President easily scored an unprecedented third nomination on the first ballot. He then addressed the convention via radio on July 19th:
“Swiftly moving foreign events made necessary swift action at home and beyond the seas. Plans for national defense had to be expanded and adjusted to meet new forms of warfare. American citizens and their welfare had to be safeguarded in many foreign zones of danger. National unity in the United States became a crying essential in the face of the development of unbelievable types of espionage and international treachery.
Every day that passed called for the postponement of personal plans and partisan debate until the latest possible moment. The normal conditions under which I would have made public declaration of my personal desires were wholly gone.
And so, thinking solely of the national good and of the international scene, I came to the reluctant conclusion that such declaration should not be made before the national Convention. It was accordingly made to you within an hour after the permanent organization of this Convention.
Like any other man, I am complimented by the honor you have done me. But I know you will understand the spirit in which I say that no call of Party alone would prevail upon me to accept reelection to the Presidency.
The real decision to be made in these circumstances is not the acceptance of a nomination, but rather an ultimate willingness to serve if chosen by the electorate of the United States. Many considerations enter into this decision.”

Another decision Roosevelt had to make was what to do with his Vice President. Resentful that Garner had turned against him during the second term, FDR had no qualms about dumping the deadweight Texas conservative from the ticket. For his new running mate, he turned to an outspoken liberal: Secretary of the Agriculture Henry A. Wallace. When conservatives within the Democratic Party balked at the idea of a radical, eccentric Vice President, Roosevelt threatened to retire to Hyde Park in January 1941 if he didn’t get his way. He then dispatched his wife to the convention to rally support for Wallace. Eleanor gently reminded the delegates that this was “no ordinary time” and that there was “no time for weighing anything except what we can best do for the country as a whole.” With the First Lady by his side, Wallace won the nomination. Still, his presence on the ticket left a bitter taste in conservative mouths.
cqba2b0a39113e3a60_landing-1.jpg

On the other side of the political aisle, the Republicans arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on June 24th deeply divided. The isolationist wing wanted to stay out of the war at all costs; the interventionist wing felt America had the duty to support the United Kingdom and give them all aid short of war. There were three frontrunners for the nomination: Ohio Senator Robert Taft, Michigan Senator Arthur Vandenberg, and Manhattan District Attorney Thomas E. Dewey. Although they were all good men, they all suffered from political weaknesses:
-Dewey, at age thirty-eight, was seen as being too young to deal with the complex global situation
-Vandenberg was seen as being nothing more than a low-key favorite son from the Great Lakes State
-Taft, the son of former President William Howard Taft, was seen as being too conservative and isolationist to have broad national appeal
Looking at their slate of lackluster candidates, the G.O.P. leaders shared the opinion that all three would simply be crushed by Roosevelt in the general election. With the Nazis on an unstoppable rampage, the Republicans realized they needed a dark horse candidate who could appeal to the common man (Herbert Hoover failed to do so in 1932 and got thrown out of office) and could be an energetic campaigner (Alf M. Landon conducted his 1936 campaign with the energy of a dead light bulb). Fortunately, they had their ideal man waiting in the wings.
cq4b38092dccbed020_landing-1.jpg

His name: Wendell Willkie. A Wall Street-based industrialist from Elwood, Indiana, he had been a Democrat until the TVA battle converted him into a Republican. Unlike the other three leading contenders, Willkie had no experience at running for public office. What he lacked in experience he made up for with his personality. Charismatic, Willkie possessed a folksy Midwestern ease which endeared him to those looking for someone genuine. Journalist John Gunther called him “one of the most lovable, most gallant, most zealous, and most forward-looking Americans of this – or any – time.” Willkie also supported much of the New Deal, which greatly pleased progressive Republicans who were sick and tired of listening to the “we must kill the New Deal” rhetoric of the conservatives. Perhaps most importantly, he was a forceful and outspoken advocate of aiding the Allies. As he saw it, “England and France constitute our first line of defense against Hitler. If anyone is going to stop Hitler, they are the ones to do it. It must therefore be in our advantage to help them every way we can, short of declaring war.”
With the British fighting for their survival, Willkie’s willingness to cross isolationists – who believed that as long as Hitler didn’t attack the United States, it didn’t matter if he controlled the rest of the world – made him an attractive Presidential candidate. Soon, a coalition of like-minded Republicans, the leading press barons of the era, and a national grassroots network of so-called “Willkie Clubs” had formed behind the irresistible demand that “We want Willkie!” As a result, during the volatile convention in Philadelphia, Willkie steadily gained momentum until he won the Presidential nomination on the sixth ballot. Addressing his boisterous and numerous supporters, the newly-minted G.O.P. nominee told them he was “very happy, very humble, and very proud.”
cq611746fbdf2b5b4b_landing-1-1.jpg

Acting on the advice of Republican National Committee Chairman Joseph William Martin, Jr., Willkie selected well-liked Senate Minority Leader Charles McNary of Oregon as his ticket-balancing running mate. Despite the fact that he had tried to stop Willkie from winning the nomination and dismissed the Vice Presidency as “a damn totem pole”, McNary ultimately accepted the slot out of a sense of party loyalty.
cq023d4c9e17b7f773_landing-1.jpg

When the President learned who his Republican opponent would be, he had mixed feelings. On the one hand, he found it easy to respect Willkie. On the other hand, unlike Hoover and Landon, the “simple barefoot lawyer from Wall Street” – Secretary of the Interior Harold Ickes’ description of him – promised to give FDR a formidable challenge in the fall campaign. “I have the general opinion that the Republicans have nominated their strongest possible ticket,” Roosevelt confided to his cabinet. However, Willkie wasn’t the only problem facing him during that summer. There was, of course, the war in Europe. To tackle that problem, Roosevelt first added two interventionist Republicans to his administration to strengthen his hand:
-1936 Vice Presidential candidate Frank Knox as Secretary of the Navy
-Hoover’s Secretary of State Henry L. Stimson as Secretary of War
cqdcbf4bdc46de060c_landing-1.jpg

Next, the incumbent sought to supplement the immense military buildup. He urged Congress to enact the first peacetime draft in American history. Despite fury from the isolationists, public opinion swelled behind the idea of a selective training bill. Congress debated the issue and on September 14th, passed the bill. Two days later, Roosevelt signed the Selective Training and Service Act into law. Under the Act, men between the ages of twenty-one to thirty-five were required to register with local draft boards. From there, men were selected through a lottery system to serve the military for twelve months.
300_37367-1.gif

Finally, Roosevelt turned to a matter which had been pressing him for weeks. With his country fighting for her survival, Churchill prodded his American friend to send some help. An island nation, the United Kingdom was particularly vulnerable to the menacing threat U-Boats (German submarines) posed against her vital trade routes. If the U-Boats succeeded in cutting off shipping, the United Kingdom would run out of imported goods and lose her ability to fight effectively. What Churchill wanted were destroyers for the Royal Navy. He argued that having the destroyers would greatly help the Royal Navy in fighting the U-Boat threat. Roosevelt responded to the request by dragging his feet. He was constantly afraid of coming across as a warmonger if he did too much too quickly. However, he couldn’t put it off forever…especially as the British situation grew increasingly desperate. That is when a proposal emerged: what if fifty mothball destroyers were transferred from the United States Navy to the Royal Navy in exchange for the British granting land rights in their North American territory for the establishment of American military bases on ninety-nine-year rent-free leases? It seemed to be a win-win solution which satisfied both Roosevelt and Churchill. On September 2nd, the Destroyers for Bases Agreement went into effect.
USSTwiggsDD127-1.jpg

The agreement came at a critical time for Churchill. In addition to the Battle of the Atlantic, he also had to contend with the devastating onslaught of the Luftwaffe. Hitler was determined to force the British to the peace table, even if it meant bombing the hell out of London. Throughout the remainder of 1940, the Royal Air Force did her best to defend the homeland from the German aerial assault in the Battle of Britain. Across the Atlantic, Americans closely followed the Blitz through riveting “you-are-there” radio broadcasts from one of the most prominent broadcast journalists of the era: Edward R. Murrow of CBS. Opening with his signature line “This is London”, Murrow electrified his radio audience with vivid details of the Blitz as it happened around him. For example:
“We are told today that the Germans believe Londoners, after a while, will rise up and demand a new government, one that will make peace with Germany. It’s more probable that they will rise up and murder a few German pilots who come down by parachute.”
murrobig-1.jpg

While Roosevelt attended to his Presidency, Willkie strategized on how to gain it. After walking away from the convention with the nomination in his pocket, Wendell and his wife Edith traveled to Colorado Springs, Colorado. While resting at the luxurious Broadmoor Hotel, the Republican candidate assembled his campaign team. He also mapped out the road he hoped would lead to victory in November. For his very first political campaign, Willkie chose to focus on two major themes: the war in Europe and the third term question. On the third term question, Willkie believed that "if one man is indispensable, then none of us is free."
As for the second major theme, Willkie pledged a strong stand against Hitler. He would portray himself as the “peace through strength” candidate who – if elected – would do everything in his power to make America strong at home and to keep the Nazis at bay by giving the United Kingdom whatever she needed to stay alive. “As we have seen,” Willkie explained to Republican Governor Harold Stassen of Minnesota (who served as chairman of the campaign advisory committee), “Hitler is always looking for easy conquests. If we can keep the British afloat for one or two more years, he will probably get impatient and perhaps might seek peace with a nut he can’t crack. We can’t get into a war that’s over.”
As far as the New Deal was concerned, he was okay with most of it. All Willkie planned to do was to cutback on the massive spending involved and look for ways to improve the programs themselves. He also wanted to enact his revenge on TVA for what it did to his Commonwealth and Southern Corporation – although he wisely kept that to himself. Against his rival, Willkie intended to attack Roosevelt for not only violating the two-term precedent but also for his insistence on being slow when it came to foreign policy. “If the President is given a third term,” he planned to warn voters, “He will get the United States into a war with Germany because the Nazis will be in London and there will be nothing to stop them from sending their ships across the Atlantic to shell our East Coast cities…or worse.”
He also counted on picking up votes from Democrats who were dissatisfied with the President for one reason or another – whether it was over the court-packing scheme, sweeping aside worthy candidates to give himself an unheard-of shot at twelve years in office, forcing the question-raising Wallace onto the ticket, etc. Advised to concentrate on the industrial Northeast and the rural Midwest (traditional Republican regions), Willkie hit the campaign trail in mid-August. Although some “Old Guarders” worried about this unconventional political maverick, others felt he represented the new direction the party should take. What everyone agreed on was that the next couple months would be interesting ones.
Wendell-Willkie.jpg

While Willkie was busy barnstorming the country (the country outside the Democratic South, that is) telling the voters what he would do as President, the incumbent President rarely left the White House. For all the Willkie hype, the Gallup Poll showed the President being ahead of him by a ten-point margin. Confident of victory, Roosevelt thereby ignored the Republican threat and focused on implementing a military draft and trading destroyers for bases with the United Kingdom. He wanted to portray himself as the statesman above the political fray. However, he couldn’t turn a blind eye to the demise of his lead in the poll numbers. Although Willkie was unpolished, made a few poor campaign decisions, and occasionally embarrassed himself by making bad statements, he found a winning issue with voters. His “peace through strength” strategy turned out to be a good one. As much as the American people wanted to stay out of the war in Europe, they didn’t want their President to be weak-kneed about it either. As a result, more and more people found themselves looking at Willkie as an attractive alternative…especially since FDR seemed to validate the attack that he “is a silent man in Washington who cannot make the same offer I can.” By the middle of October, the Gallup Poll showed him ahead of Roosevelt by six points. Realizing he might actually lose re-election at this rate, the President finally decided to take on Willkie and the Republicans. The final two weeks of the fall campaign became a tenacious duel between the two men.
09-1824a-1.gif

In the final sprint to the finish, both men gave it their all. Willkie energetically crisscrossed the country, straining his voice along the way. Roosevelt only made five campaign speeches. Roosevelt defended his record. Willkie supported the Selective Training and Service Act and the Destroyers for Bases Agreement, but aggressively attacked the President for not having done them sooner. Willkie accused the President of seeking a third term without a concrete plan for keeping America out of the war. Roosevelt accused Willkie of being reckless and not understanding the fine art of pacing yourself. Roosevelt alleged the Republican Party was soft on national defense. Willkie alleged Roosevelt was soft with national defense. Willkie pledged to keep the United States out of the Second World War with decisive leadership. Roosevelt pledged to keep the United States out of the Second World War…without really specifying how. Roosevelt kept quiet about Willkie’s long-standing extramarital relationship with wealthy book editor Irita Van Doren (partly because FDR had his own martial skeletons in his closet). Willkie kept quiet about Wallace’s attraction to mysticism. Willkie frequently had rotten fruit and produce thrown at him. Roosevelt didn’t, but he felt the physical attacks were crossing the line. Roosevelt had the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Joseph P. Kennedy, on his side. Willkie had the President of the Congress of Industrial Organizations, John L. Lewis, on his side. By the eve of Election Day, the two men had done everything they could to explain why they should win and not the other guy.
camp_lg-1.jpg

Election Day – November 5th – arrived in the United States like an eagerly anticipated movie. With the Gallup Poll showing Roosevelt having closed the wide gap Willkie once enjoyed, political experts knew the election would be extremely close. Not since Democratic President Woodrow Wilson defeated Republican challenger Charles Evans Hughes in 1916 by 1,900 votes (all in California) had the outcome been so unpredictable. A record fifty million Americans went to the polls to cast their votes. Among them were the two major Presidential candidates. Afterwards, Roosevelt settled in at Hyde Park while Willkie hunkered down at the Commodore Hotel in New York City. Both men were nervous as the early returns came in that evening. The news they carried worried FDR. It wasn’t just that Willkie was ahead throughout the Northeast, but that major states like Massachusetts and New York were leaning his way. The President simply couldn’t afford to lose them. When those two states did go Republican, Roosevelt realized he was in trouble. Asking to be alone, he ordered everyone out of the dining room and strictly told a Secret Service agent to stand outside the door and not let anyone in no matter what. Sitting by himself, the President tabulated the returns. Only winning Pennsylvania and Rhode Island, he estimated he had to gain pretty much every other state to counterbalance the Willkie landslide in the Northeast. Fortunately, the South remained a safe bet – except for Delaware, every state went Democratic as expected. However, the tide failed to turn in FDR’s favor once the Midwestern states started falling into place. As the entire region became a G.O.P. stronghold, Roosevelt knew he had lost his bid for an unprecedented third term. Although he undoubtedly saved the United States from total economic collapse, he failed to convince enough voters to let him steer the ship of state through the World War Two hurricane. Flinging the dining room door open, Roosevelt wheeled himself through the doorway and announced that he was preparing to concede the election. “We put up a tremendous fight,” he told his friends and family, “But the people really do want Wendell. I have clearly lost, but I am not going to be like Hoover. I am not going out a bitter man. I will work with my successor and help him in anyway I can.”
cqfc5673bf2bf66234_landing-1.jpg

After the remaining states were decided and Willkie was declared the official winner of the 1940 Presidential election, Roosevelt addressed the nation over radio from Hyde Park to deliver a gracious and conciliatory concession speech:
“I congratulate Wendell Willkie and Senator Charles McNary for the victory they achieved tonight. We are a unified country. The two-party system is secure. The world has seen fair and free democracy in action. Despite our differences of opinion, as Thomas Jefferson would say, we are all Democrats. We are all Republicans. We are all Americans. As such, we will sustain the progress of a representative democracy, asking the Divine Blessing for guidance as we face the future with courage and with faith. I look forward in the months ahead to work with Mr. Willkie to transfer the weighty power of this office from my hands to his.”
Shortly thereafter, a triumphant Willkie entered the Commodore’s Grand Ballroom and was swamped by his supporters and staffers. His voice still hoarse from campaigning, he was unable to speak above the excited chant “President Willkie! Four years with Willkie!” He simply beamed with pride and enjoyed the sweet taste of victory. After all, he just accomplished what no one else could do: he defeated Franklin D. Roosevelt. By the next morning, the final votes had been counted. In the electoral vote count, Willkie won 283 electoral votes over Roosevelt’s 248. Willkie also set the record for the most popular votes ever gained by a Republican candidate: over twenty-five million. By contrast, FDR was just one million popular votes behind him. Despite losing the White House to the Republicans, the Democrats were at least able to maintain their majorities within both houses of Congress.
1940-1.jpg

Willkie/McNary (Republican/Red) – 283 Electoral Votes – 25 States Carried – 25,340,292 Popular Votes – 50.78% of Total Votes
Roosevelt/Wallace (Democratic/Blue) – 248 Electoral Votes – 23 States Carried – 24,322,289 Popular Votes – 48.74% of Total Votes

The election of Wendell Willkie in 1940 - the point of Presidential deviation for this AAR has been reached. :cool:

Last edited:
Dun Dun Duh!. LEts go save Europe, also please dont bankrupt the UK in this timeline through LEnd-lease, let the empire survive.

The Presidents: Wendell Willkie (1940-??)

I just want to say this is a great AAR and set-up! Love it all the way. And it will be interesting to see how history looks back upon the presidential election of 1940 and the lasting effects that the Republicans will have now that they not the Democrats will lead the United States into World War II.

Wow....interesting election result.

Though the thing that really struck me...I've said it before, I'll say it again...

This is a favourite quote for the era, Leo Amery's "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"
What is often forgotten, is that good ole' Leo was himself quoting a famous figure addressing Parliament:
Oliver Cromwell.
:D

Nathan Madien said:
Wendell Willkie in 1940 - the point of Presidential deviation for this AAR has been reached. :cool:
So Willkie will be a deviant President?

Can we expect to see a Nixon style "There can be no S&M spanking in the Whitehouse" speech? :p :D

Interesting variation, can we expect to see a more comprehensive and earlier US support? Or will a Democratic congress/senate put a nix on that?

El Pip said:
So Willkie will be a deviant President?

Can we expect to see a Nixon style "There can be no S&M spanking in the Whitehouse" speech? :p :D

No, breakins into the capaigning HQ of the Democrats!