• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Colonel Thomas Jonathan L. Davies ((Projekt 919)) proposed the 'Davis Compromise' after the referendum voted for Texas to become a free state. He then used the publicity he got from this to launch a new Southern Nationalist Party with Nicholas Khur, which has a policy basically along the lines of 'stop the civil war by making the south so strong the north'll never dare to secede'. Because of the reduced Democrat membership there is now a referendum on whether to merge the Whigs and Democrats. When the merger passes either Thomas McAttack (Attack77) or John F. Cameron (mikeboy) will run as the presidential candidate, the other as vp, President King being rather unpopular. Mr Cameron has also been cooperating with davies on a joint Militias Bill, much to the consternation Ceaser Vinograd ((Red Cesar)), a Radical whig.

Good sir, I believe you mean colonel Davis?

I claimed to be Whig at the beginning however i now stand with a firm whatever is good for Oregon and good for the union. If I believe that Millita's are becoming a threat and are looking more like private armies then I will vote to curb their power, if industry has grown unethical I will vote to curb that. Voting along party lines has become somewhat blurred for me as i agree with aspects of both parties.
I sympathise with the plight of the south in the decline of the cotton industry and also the threat and strain place upon it's way of life. However in Oregon we have never had slaves so far as I can remember, and also at heart I am a man from Massachusetts, slavery is as alien to me as flying, I cannot claim to be feeling the pressures of the southern populace are. As I said i sympathise yet I shall vote for whatever I feel is best for America not north or south, Dixie or yank, Whig or Democrat.

Then Good Sir, I propose You look back in detail at the actions of my party. The Davis Compromise, The Militia Bill, and my constant campaigning have done more to preserve the union than any other party. I encourage you to go back and look at my speeches, there tends to be one every few pages or so. Im also pretty sure bbb has them linked. And really don't listen to the whigs on this one, The davis comprimise did more to limit the cruelties of slavery than anything the whigs ever did. I'll see if I can link the compromise or at least give you the page and post #

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?530282-The-Presidents-1836-1936-An-Interactive-US-AAR/page14
The Party Founding
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?530282-The-Presidents-1836-1936-An-Interactive-US-AAR/page11
This Page for the Compromise
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?530282-The-Presidents-1836-1936-An-Interactive-US-AAR/page17
This Page for the Annoucement of the SNP Ticket

There You Go

Last edited:
Then Good Sir, I propose You look back in detail at the actions of my party. The Davis Compromise, The Militia Bill, and my constant campaigning have done more to preserve the union than any other party. I encourage you to go back and look at my speeches, there tends to be one every few pages or so. Im also pretty sure bbb has them linked. And really don't listen to the whigs on this one, The davis comprimise did more to limit the cruelties of slavery than anything the whigs ever did. I'll see if I can link the compromise or at least give you the page and post #

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?530282-The-Presidents-1836-1936-An-Interactive-US-AAR/page14
The Party Founding
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?530282-The-Presidents-1836-1936-An-Interactive-US-AAR/page11
This Page for the Compromise
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?530282-The-Presidents-1836-1936-An-Interactive-US-AAR/page17
This Page for the Annoucement of the SNP Ticket

There You Go

aye i read the compromise and it did much to endear me to the SNP. A great leap forward yet also a great check and balance. if i had not been occupied i would have voted yes to it.

aye i read the compromise and it did much to endear me to the SNP. A great leap forward yet also a great check and balance. if i had not been occupied i would have voted yes to it.

Can we count on your vote then in the Upcoming election sir? You Know you want to vote for us, we have posters! ((And Cookies))

snpticket.png

Having voted for the Merger and offered himself as a candidate, I woudln't think Omega is going to split the vote by running on his own ticket just because Attack or the Cameron character are probably going to win the pro-merger primary. Only anti-merger Whigs would really have the legitimacy to run in a Whig only primary following the results of the pro-merger (National Union) primary going on now. And that would probably amount to Your Worst Nightmare voting for Caesar. So the question of radical whigs is really kind of out of the question, this cycle. I have a feeling Omega and the entire abolitionist lobby are going to be back to the Whigs in the next election rather than keep on running National Union after the immediate objective of stealing SNP thunder is accomplished.

So my prediction is that Attack will win the merger vote, the Cameron character (whose the player?) will be runner up, I and maybe some others will try to get Cameron to step down in favor of King as VP in order to not drive King and the rest of his supporters to run on the Whig ticket and split the anti-SNP vote, if King is mollified either way Caesar Vinograd will probably run in the presidential election if BBB keeps all three tickets running and not just SNP and National Union.

Similarly to the situation the Arthur King (Omega) is in with this primary, I imagine if it was a moderate Whig, Omega/King promising to moderate, or even a moderate Democrat likely to get the National Union nod that McAttack/Attack might have contemplated a solo run on the pure Democratic ticket the same way Omega/King is probably contemplating a solo run on the pure Whig ticket. However that's not going to be a problem as the non-moderate Democrat McAttack is still doing the best in the National Union primary, primarily due to the moderate Democrats preferring a non-moderate but non-SNP Dem to a moderate Whig like Cameron.

The race, BBB willing, will probably go something like this: McAttack (National Union) vs. Davis (SNP) vs. Caesar Vinograd (Whig) - with Vinograd getting 1 vote, Davis getting the whole SNP cadre's votes, and McAttack being the winner by getting the "Hold your Nose" vote from every serious anti-SNP person who doesn't think Vinograd would have a chance, given his poor showing in Whig primaries in the previous election.

But there is always the possibility that, denied the President and VP slot on the National Union, Omega/Arthur King might run as the Whig, given its not even a moderate Democrat who has won the NU primary but old style Democrat diehard McAttack.

Very in-depth Mr. Brass.

Here's the deal, as of yet. Cameron is leading McAttack with 4 to 3. SO at the moment, Cameron would be Presidential and McAttack V-Presidential Canidate of the Union Party.

The election will be between the Union Party and the SNP. The entire point of this merger was to avoid a crazy three-five way election.

The Primaries will end tomorrow or today at 7PM GMT. (Depending on whether any new votes are cast).

PS. The modding forum request I put up is being pretty silent, so if anyone here (Frymonmon?) knows how I could just make Texas a slave state by poking around in the Save File, it would be a lot of help.

Aye I was about to say, you'd have me as neither President nor VP despite the fact so far I have the most votes.

Aye I was about to say, you'd have me as neither President nor VP despite the fact do far I have the most votes.

What do you mean?

Very in-depth Mr. Brass.

Here's the deal, as of yet. Cameron is leading McAttack with 4 to 3. SO at the moment, Cameron would be Presidential and McAttack V-Presidential Canidate of the Union Party.

The election will be between the Union Party and the SNP. The entire point of this merger was to avoid a crazy three-five way election.

The Primaries will end tomorrow or today at 7PM GMT. (Depending on whether any new votes are cast).

PS. The modding forum request I put up is being pretty silent, so if anyone here (Frymonmon?) knows how I could just make Texas a slave state by poking around in the Save File, it would be a lot of help.

((I'm working on it. I've been mucking around in events, mostly to no avail. The closest thing I got is Texas become independent again, then re-annexing it, and you need to make it a Slave State.))

Then Good Sir, I propose You look back in detail at the actions of my party. The Davis Compromise,
Including the unsustainable arbitrary ratio, cutting the army down to discriminate against non-Southerners in the name of "equality".
The Militia Bill,
Which, while acknowledging and curbing militia usage, also solidifies the legitimacy of the military arm associated with the SNP to fill in the holes left by their legislation in the military, and to form an authority in the south.
and my constant campaigning
And formation of a militarily ordered political engine and military wing, arguing against representational power from the union as a whole in exchange for a southern isolated policy on the claims that that region is more equal than others.

The davis comprimise did more to limit the cruelties of slavery than anything the whigs ever did
It "did more" simply by following the principles of gradual abolition of the ills of slavery that the Whig president King campaigned on (no beating to death, no separating children and couples). Other progress or designs in limiting slavery (working with states to make more free states where it was clearly advantageous, such as King actually accomplished in D.C. region, free soil, gradual abolition of slavery, etc.) simply were not fully feasible. The Davis Compromise added to its core Whig ideals of cruelty limitation the arbitrary ratio and other concessions to the south, so it is hardly the higher ground on slavery or unity.

The Senator does raise a valid point. The SNP for all it's achievements does seem to rather than bring the nation together at neutral standing harmonious ground instead pushes the south into a better position by force, which while not deplorable is hardly the foundation of a stable state.
As for the millita act- I'd rather not surrender my cannon to the federal government. We are on the border of Britai, if there is any state in the world that needs it's cannon in it's own hands not in an arsenal waiting for usage it is the Oregon State Millita. if the act is passed I would like to bring it to the attention of congress that Oregon be allowed to withdraw it's cannon and place it within it's forts and towns at will and digression of the Oregon state Millita

((I'm working on it. I've been mucking around in events, mostly to no avail. The closest thing I got is Texas become independent again, then re-annexing it, and you need to make it a Slave State.))

Well, you're in luck.

I tried The solution where I played again from January 14th 1837, and made Texas a Slave State from the beginning. It worked perfectly. Things went 95-99% the way they did in the original playthrough, and since bleeding Texas was all fluff anyway, the decision did not affect anything really. Still tHE same consciousness level, military, research and colonization progress.

We have a way out! NO NEED TO WORRY ANYMORE! :D

The Senator does raise a valid point. The SNP for all it's achievements does seem to rather than bring the nation together at neutral standing harmonious ground instead pushes the south into a better position by force, which while not deplorable is hardly the foundation of a stable state.
As for the millita act- I'd rather not surrender my cannon to the federal government. We are on the border of Britai, if there is any state in the world that needs it's cannon in it's own hands not in an arsenal waiting for usage it is the Oregon State Millita. if the act is passed I would like to bring it to the attention of congress that Oregon be allowed to withdraw it's cannon and place it within it's forts and towns at will and digression of the Oregon state Millita

Fear not for Oregon and Washington. Since the Forsyth-Ashburton Treaty, relations between Britain and the Republic have become progressively warmer. If anything is a threat to Oregon, it's a Bleeding Oregon, which the Davis Compromise has averted.

Including the unsustainable arbitrary ratio, cutting the army down to discriminate against non-Southerners in the name of "equality".

Which, while acknowledging and curbing militia usage, also solidifies the legitimacy of the military arm associated with the SNP to fill in the holes left by their legislation in the military, and to form an authority in the south.

And formation of a militarily ordered political engine and military wing, arguing against representational power from the union as a whole in exchange for a southern isolated policy on the claims that that region is more equal than others.

It "did more" simply by following the principles of gradual abolition of the ills of slavery that the Whig president King campaigned on (no beating to death, no separating children and couples). Other progress or designs in limiting slavery (working with states to make more free states where it was clearly advantageous, such as King actually accomplished in D.C. region, free soil, gradual abolition of slavery, etc.) simply were not fully feasible. The Davis Compromise added to its core Whig ideals of cruelty limitation the arbitrary ratio and other concessions to the south, so it is hardly the higher ground on slavery or unity.

1. I Assure You it is quite sustainable, and the ratio allows for extra yankee troops to be raised in war and if there are still any gaps the SNM and the Northern Militias can easily fill them

2. So by founding/orgonizng a militia to act as a police force/national gaurd and strengthening the rule of law I am somehow doing something wrong? In addition the fact that it legitimizes the SNM and its uniform is all I asked for in the entire Bill, everything else is a SNP concession designed to show the moderate democrats and whigs that we are not a threat to national security!

3.I am not claiming my region is more equal, we don't seek to control the rest of the country, only to be safe to live according to our culture in our region. The fact that my party has a hierarchial high command is only a measure to Improve our effieciency and the Military arm is a rallying point for our cause and a positive force. I have said it many times, Colonel Khur would resign before he would ever march on washington.

4. So By reaching a comprimise that simultaneously limits the cruelties of slavery and keeps the south happy I am somehow commiting a sin? So by presenting a feasible plan of limiting the cruelties of slavery I somehow lower on the moral high ground than someone who proposes a plan that is wholly unfeasable and could split the country? This is why people join the SNP sir, we talk to them like intelligent adults, tell them the truth of politics, and do not lie to them like children. I suggest that (robb1993) not listen to this kind of inconsistent, incorrect, and incosequential rhetoric from the Whig Party.

-Thomas J.L. Davis
-God Save the Union and God Save the South!

Edit: ((And As BBB pointed out the militia act does not threaten Oregons Security, The cannon if needed will be made availible to you by the federal arsenal in your territory/state))

Last edited:
((Our Charachters are going to end up fioghting to the death at the halfway point between manhattan and thomasville at this rate))

((HA, would be great for that story to be in an update.....on another note, YAY A VOTE!))

Judge me as you may, but if you, the SNP, control the Federal government, then the Negros of the entire union are in danger of being subject to your hate and supremacist views! Will the abolitionists of the north not be relentlessly silenced for our opinions against your party? Down with the heart of hatred, down with the SNP!

((Yay for people noticing my radical....-ness!....:D))

((HA, would be great for that story to be in an update.....on another note, YAY A VOTE!))

Judge me as you may, but if you, the SNP, control the Federal government, then the Negros of the entire union are in danger of being subject to your hate and supremacist views! Will the abolitionists of the north not be relentlessly silenced for our opinions against your party? Down with the heart of hatred, down with the SNP!

((Yay for people noticing my radical....-ness!....:D))

((Yeah but I have A Army so I doubt that would end well for you even if you did win)):D

We are not Supremacists, I was before I owned slaves, but having talked to them in person and having seen the cruelties commited by other slaveowners actually reccomend the limitations of the cruelties of slavery.

((They are only silenced because they don't speak loud enough to talk over me)):D