• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, the churches are the churches, but I liked that bit about the transformation of the Hippodrome from chariot to horse racing. Mind, lightweight brig racing is still popular in the Med, so I'd doubt it would completely go away.

Excellent overview, as usual.

Enewald - Well, before Constantine turned it into the Second Rome (as he originally named it), Byzantion was indeed not as great, but nontheless a fairly prosperous and important city in the region. It was the trade link between Asia Minor and the Balkans and the Aegean and the Black Sea, after all. Severus Septimus had most of Byzantion rebuilt after it was mostly ruined after a rebellion. In addition to the hippodrome (which was probably a bit smaller than in Constantine's time) he also extended the city walls.

RGB
- Well, it would be nice to have another relic of the ancient world kept alive in Constantinople :p I could imagine that this would cause some unrest, with the new Muslim (or Christianized) immigrants introducing Arabian horse racing, and the native Greeks rigildly sticking to chariot racing as a way of 'resisting' the invasion of these different new cultures.

asd21593 - Thanks. To be honest, it took me a bloody long time to write :p

I'm up to the first story post on Page 5, and thus far, I have to say this is an intriguing little tale and I'm wondering how all these elements tie in together. I do wonder why the archaeology professor keeps bumming around these lectures and it doesn't make sense to me at this point, but perhaps that's more common in European universities? I don't recall it ever happening in American universities.

I'm really happy you like it, Jestor :) Believe it or not, things do tie into eachother (or they do so in my head at least). About professors hanging around lectures of others, it doesn't happen very often here also. But sometimes professors are present when they teach a class together. I've seen it happen with my 'introduction to art history class', where once professor covered the ancient art and one did the medieval art (in seperate lectures) but they were both present in all lectures. Then again, professor Bokova has ulterior motives to attend Doxiadus' lectures. After all, she had to keep eye on certain students.