• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Horace

Second Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2006
Disclaimer: This is my first attempt at an AAR, so it will probably end horribly...
As every other country in Victoria is called by its English name, I shall do that same here.

Played on Victoria 0.3 with VIP 0.3. No particular aim; suggestions welcomed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 1836. Brunswick was a dreary, run-down state full of dreary, run-down people. Only 6 years previously the current Duke, Wilhelm, had forcibly replaced his incompetent brother, only 15 years after the small state had come into being. Most of the ancestral lands of the Braunschweig-Lüneburgs were now under the governance of Hanover, and the country's faith in itself and prestige was non-existent.
Worse still were the rats.

Rats were everywhere. They devored the crops and spread disease amongst the peasants. They got everywhere to such an extent that most of the time the merchants of Brunswick found that they was importing and exporting rats on the world market instead of the goods they intended...

ScreenSave24.jpg

Not least due to this, the economy was in a very poor shape - not only was the country making no money, it was making a negative amount of no money...

economy1.jpg

The Duke was pondering these problems when there was a quick knock on his door and the minister for health hurried in.

Minister: [breathlessly] Your Highness, I bring news of strange goings-on just across the border, the Hanoverian border, in Hamelin...

The Duke: Well?

Minister: A chap turned up this morning, some piper virtuoso, or magician. They say he killed every rat for miles around in an hour!

The Duke: That's ridiculous. What's the evidence he isn't another travelling fraudster?

Minister: Our informants in Hanover assure me not one rat survives. But he's bankrupted the town for his fee.

The Duke: Hmm [scratching chin], still sounds like an unscrupulous sort to me. But I suppose we ought to speak to him, on the offchance. If there's any remote chance he'll deal with the rats - Lord we need it. Leave no stone unturned!

Minister: Certainly, your Highness! [Leaves]

------------

piper.jpg

That night, a strange, foreign-looking thin yet sprightly man in a green hat and ragged cloak was ushered into the cabinet room. After discussions lasting several hours, this travelling performer offered an agreement that no sane man would conceive of - to rid the whole Duchy of rats before the next day. Standing up, he spoke quickly but incisively.

"You shall see it done with your eyes; you shall feel it, let there be no doubt. I shall of course want payment for my service, but do not say I do not understand your unfortunate economic difficulties. This is my proposition: I am still a young man, but I can get no younger. I must go out and see the world, play to the world whilst I can! I shall first rid you of your rats, then discover the earth. But I shall return. On the first of January, 1850, I shall return and claim my fee."

"But what is your fee?" asked the chairman of the cabinet.

"That will depend on what you can offer me. But mind it is not too low, or you will feel the consequences. Make your country great and you will have nothing to fear."

With that, the piper walked quickly out of the chamber, out of the palace gates and disappeared into the night.

-------------------

The next morning, Brunswick was in chaos! There was not a living rat in sight! However, every imaginable river, stream and pond was so packed with dead and decaying rats that the country was entirely without water, as if in a drought.
Luckily, the stocks of beer were more than adequate to sustain the nation from thirst.

Various factions proposed various ideas. None of them made any sense. The longer they drank only beer, the less sense they made. Eventually, after a few days, the minister for defence, rather worse for wear, stumbled into the Duke's chambers for an audience.

Minister: Shour Highnesh, I shink I have a sholution to sher water problemsh!

The Duke: Go on, *hic*, minishter

Minishter: We musht ready our armiesh! We musht marshonnnanover *hic!* Thesh water Thesh!

The Duke: Marsonnn... marsonn..nnn.. nannannover *hic* you shay *hic*. Sholly good ideash shouse shave there! At onesh!

The minister stumbled out whilst the Duke was being sick into the blue Ming vase on the chest by his private bureau.

-----

Brunswick's population in 1836:

pops1.jpg

Soldiers were quickly fitted out with clothes and three divisions of cavalry with Hussars were recruted, and they were ready that October. A drunken diplomat was dispatched to Hanover with a declaration of war. In fact, he was so drunken he managed not only to annoy the Hanoverian court, but also the British, who decided to join them.

ScreenSave27.jpg

The war was short. The ineriated divisions of Brunswick walked over the place, finding it very poorly defended. There were only a couple of battles, and the British were nowhere to be seen. Eventually, being completely occupied, Hanover accepted peace in return for Satellite status to Brunswick in April the following year.

ScreenSave28.jpg

The Duke, a previously shy and retiring man, was suddenly filled with confidence. As he watched his army parade back to the capital he was taken by the beauty of the spectacle. Another 17 divisions were ordered, mobilising the workers in his new hanoverian territories. If it takes wars for an excuse for such a show of grandure, then wars there must be!

Supplies were bought, and populations trained and clothed over the next year. Meanwhile, the economy wasn't looking great. But who cared! At least there were no rats!

--------------------

It was decided to attack Hamburg with a coule of divisons, the others quickly annexing as many other small allied states as honoured their defensive treaties. The war, this time fought sober, lasted about 2 years, and Duke Wilhelm was not disappointed with the result...

ScreenSave30.jpg

... although his banker certainly was.

econ2.jpg

And thus a year or so of doing nothing much ensued in order to try to balance the economy. And tax the peasants to death, of course.

econ3.jpg

Meanwhile, the Duke was riffling through his blocking-of-colonisation treaties one afternoon when he was surprised to realise that he didn't have any. Still aware of the need to make more money, he ordered that settlers should build an outpost by the mouth of the congo, in order to eventually access the rich resources there.

ScreenSave46.jpg

Mindful of the prospect of overseas expansion, five clipper transports - the Duchy's first ever navy - were also commissioned at around the same time.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Great AAR never tried as brunswick and you a doing great especiallly with such a small country. just try to cozy up to the Prussians French or Austrians though because of undoubtedly high badboy

The 1st Colonial Campaigns

It was decided that Brunswick must find a place or two in the sun. The Duchy's comparatively large standing army of regulars was crippling the economy not only by its yearly cost, but by not allowing the government to expand the economy at home. The Duke knew he could not forever have a populace of soldiers - the Duchy needed industry. At present machine parts are still unobtainable from the world market, but that is sure to change. "What we need", said Wilhelm to his newly-appointed Minister for National Expansion, Klaus Von Maschinengewehr, "is a large army of foreign recruits whose lives don't matter!". Ever compasionate and humanistic, the Duke only too well understood the desperate need of the uncivilised world to be given such a wonderful opportunity to die for the greater glory of the Duchy.

The 'Stepping stone into the East' was to be Kalat. A backwards nation (if it could even be called a nation), it bordered no less than 4 rich and populous uncivilised nations, but at the same time maintained a safe distance from the rapier-like agression of the notorious British East India Company's posessions.
Although it posessed a nominal force of irregulars, the foreign secretary assured the Duke its rulers and cheiftains would quickly welcome the civilising force of Brunswick with the joy of a true liberator.

Thus, on the kalends of November, 1843, the Duchy's ambassador arrived in Kalat, along with 50,000 men who fancied a break in the sun, to be welcomed with open arms as a liberator following a playful game of soldiers in which Brunwick's forces unfortunately turned out to be fatally more competent...

ScreenSave48.jpg

Next, the holidaying forces were split, and the aging Sultan of Brunei was delighted to be informed of his vastly decreased responsibilities of state.

It was also at this point that a foreign officer, Gen. Gerdicke, defected from Schleswig-Holstein. Why Brunswick's relations with Schleswig should fall rather than rise after taking on such a useless liability of theirs remained a mystery to army chiefs.

ScreenSave51.jpg

Shortly after this, the King of Prussia, who had, for reasons best known to himself, striven to maintain good relations with Duke Wilhelm, requested military access. Brunswick could see no alterior motive and granted it.

prussia-asks.jpg

In Borneo, the opportunity to claim the island ahead of the Dutch was too good to pass up. The first of four different claim buildings commenced construction at that time by our intrepid colonists.

borneo-colony.jpg

Last edited:
The 1st Colonial Campaigns (continued)

Next for Brunswick was to open the door to which Kalat was the key - the rich plains of Punjab. The Duke knew he needed the manpower, but annexation presented a big risk - a border with British East India. Whilst mulling over this, a clerk informed the Duke that the minister for internal affairs wished an urgent meeting with him regarding the provice of Dessau.

Minister: Your Highness, there is a rebellion in Dessau

Duke: Then put it down, then! Don't bother me with every little rebellion; I have more important matters to attend to. We have an army, do we not?

Minister: It's not that simple, Your Highness: Dessau province is completely surrounded by Prussia.

Duke: Can we then not ask the Prussian authorities for passage of troops?

Minister: We have. The bastards aren't letting us. If we don't do something soon Anhalt will declare its independence and will be lost from our sphere of influence.

Dure: Hmmm, indeed. Tell you what, if it gets any worse, grant them their independece and send in some puppets to control them. That'll calm the rebellious. Might I suggest my brother-in-law...? He's just had to resign his position from Council for Industry in such unfortunate circumstances...

----------
Meanwhile, liberating troops were pushing east, and it was so that lands of Punjab were brought into the fold of the Duchy.

ScreenSave56.jpg

And of course the Afghans too were crying out for civilisation.

afghan.jpg

The Heavenly kingdom of Annan, the Expansion minister noted, had been fighting with Siam like rats in a bucket for years. Surely, such a peace-loving nation as Brunswick had a duty to intervene to prevent more bloodshed, he asked the Council.

ScreenSave66.jpg

ScreenSave67.jpg

Cambodia, too, seemed to be struggling to govern itself. Brunswick was glad to help!

ScreenSave69.jpg

ScreenSave70.jpg

Meanwhile rebels had taken full control of Dessau.

ScreenSave71.jpg

Anhalt was made a puppet as previously discussed.

His people made jealous and rebellious by the land of milk and honey on their border, the Emir of Bukhara sent a herald to the Duchy's ambassador in the Indian Subcontinent requesting help with his administration. Some people are very easy to please!

bukhara.jpg

-------------------------------------

The border with British India was now a reality, and so an urgent plan was needed to prevent something regrettible happening. An aging diplomat, his mind awash with the irrelevancies of the Holy Roman Empire most of the time, then came up with a remarkably ingenious scheme.

Firstly, Brunswick would need many, many divisions for the forthcoming campaigns, both in the East and the West. These would be recruited immediately from the three Punjabi provices bordering India, and trained in the Westof the country. Meanwhile, our new ally, Anhalt take two would be gifted these three provinces, and in doing so be given the chance to recruit for themselves an army siable enough to be of use to us against the less friendly German states. Wilhelm was soon convinced. Bye-bye border!

ScreenSave73.jpg

Coming next: the Second German Campaigns...

KuzuX said:
Haha did you sell your revolting colonies to Dessau??I thought it was Bulgaria :wacko:

I didn't sell them, I gave them, to Anhalt, my puppet state (badboy 0), to be my frontier against British India. My BB's at least 50 by now...

But what really surprised me is what Anhalt did with them afterwards. As you'll see, it built a huge army (for a one-province state with no industry) of regular divisions in Dessau, which, of course, is right next to... Berlin! So the next war with Prussia just got a lot easier.

What's worrying me is France. I only hope they let me finish off the german states before dragging me into a badboy war. Unless I can offload the frontier provinces on a friendly nation temporarily.

Well it looks like they have succeeded to make the country great. I wonder what the fee will be?

stnylan said:
Well it looks like they have succeeded to make the country great. I wonder what the fee will be?

It's going to be an excuse to invade a lot of Great Powers, I think. I feel that Mr. Pipeaar fancies himself as a minor despot. Feel free to make suggestions!

Great going with the Indians, the Frecnh could be a problem have you thougt about preemptively making war on them and forcing through a lame white peace or whatevver for insurance

The 2nd German Campaigns

It was late July, 1849. The Duke was having lunch, which consisted of a hamburger - a compressed selection of lean beef in a roll with pickles. All of a sudden, he started to choke. The food somehow got down his respiritary system. As Wilhelm turned blue, courtiers quickly rushed to slap him on the back, saving his life. Hamburg will pay for this!

2ndgermanwar.jpg

About 40 cavalry divisions recruted from Duchy colonies (most from the three provinces subsequently given to Anhalt, hence the negative manpower) were transported by sea to the homeland. This war would hopefully clean up a lot of minor german states and bring prussia to her knees.

hess-annex.jpg

Wurttemburg was quickly overwhelmed, and the remaining branch of Hess soon ceded to Duchy rule.

wuttemburg-sat.jpg

Meanwhile the year of 1850 broke. On new years day a messenger from Thurn und Taxis' postal service arrived at the ducal palace with an epistula.

Your Highness,

I have not forgotten our agreement. I am currently studying with a great easten mage, and have not leave to return to you on this day, but shall in time. You do not currently have what first I desire. There is a cave at Hammerfest of great wonders. Acquire it before I return and I shall give you my further demands. I have learnt much and advise you to heed me.

Aurelius the Piper​

Wilhelm was unsure quite what to make of the letter. however, his curiosity was aroused by the mysterious cave mentioned. Whatever the piper could or could not do if his demands were not met, there was a good time window before he returned from the orient. Wilhelm decided to try to bring the current wars to a close and look towards scandinavia.

cave.jpg

Despite a warscore in the high fifties to sixties, the King of Prussia steadfastly refused to be subjugated under Duchy rule. At length, the Duke realised that his military resources were too stretched against the entire German confederation, and aggreed to a peace with the Prussians in return for a few border provinces.

pru-peace1.jpg

Shortly after, Austria offered Karlsbad, a core province of Brunswick that the Duke accepted.

aus-peace1.jpg

At around the same time, engineers commissioned by the Duke had finally devised a primitive but workable railway locomotive by studying those looted from prussia during the war. A few machine parts were at last available on the world market, and, slowly but surely, Brunswick started to build a railway network.

railroad.jpg

Existing factories were expanded to keep up with demand, and construction started on a few new ones.

Adendum:

Anhlat was clearly worried for its own security, and had amassed a sizable army recruited, presumably its provinces in the Punjab. Brunswick was puzzled at how the small state could afford its upkeep, but it evidently could. A useful ally indeed.

anhalt-army-1.jpg

The State of the Duchy in 1851

stateoftheempire-3.jpg

Coming next - the trail Northward...

Last edited:
DukeLeo said:
Great going with the Indians, the Frecnh could be a problem have you thougt about preemptively making war on them and forcing through a lame white peace or whatevver for insurance

Yes, France may be a problem. However, so far, it has almost constantly been involved in other wars to bother us. At the current stage of the game (which I'll post shortly) I'm debating whether to go for France or Russia - and leaning towards France.

Horace said:
Yes, France may be a problem. However, so far, it has almost constantly been involved in other wars to bother us. At the current stage of the game (which I'll post shortly) I'm debating whether to go for France or Russia - and leaning towards France.

Ye sfinally someoen agrees with me. oh and whats the sate of your Navy France has losts of colonial troops it can bring to France for a prolonged War if you have a good Navy you could take theior colonies preventing this and also destroy their Navy to lower their Morale

Time for an Arctic cruise apparently.

What your economy like those wars must be expensive

DukeLeo said:
What your economy like those wars must be expensive

At the start of this stage I was making a small daily loss, so moderate debt. However, since virtually all of my armies are native quality, the wars so far have been surprisingly cheap. I disbanded most of my north german units once I gained indian manpower.
As you can see, after the second war, the daily balance is a small positive one. Education isn't yet on full, and taxes are quite high, but now I have a decent chance to industrialise, so money has become less of a problem.

Horace said:
At the start of this stage I was making a small daily loss, so moderate debt. However, since virtually all of my armies are native quality, the wars so far have been surprisingly cheap. I disbanded most of my north german units once I gained indian manpower.
As you can see, after the second war, the daily balance is a small positive one. Education isn't yet on full, and taxes are quite high, but now I have a decent chance to industrialise, so money has become less of a problem.

Have you tougth about the Swiss i mean Make War and then demand Indeminites

1850s Expansion

The 1850s would be concerned with a number of wars, primarily aimed at weakening the continental European powers.
To do this, however, more manpower would be required. It was decided, on account of the great bravery and warlike-nature historical sources have ascribed to the samurais, that Japan should be first absorbed into the empire.

jap-invade.jpg

The war lasted a little over half a year.

jap-annex.jpg

Meanwhile, Holland had just finished a war with Belgian and france, and was in a rather weakened position. Wilhelm thought the chance too good to pass up; Britain had only just stopped guaranteeing Dutch independence.

The 1st Dutch war:

dutch-campaign.jpg

The Dutch military were quickly obliterated, and the king of Holland proposed an acceptable peace offering for the time being, in which a few factories were gained.

Mindful of his commitment to conquer scandinavia, the Duke ordered troops to his Danish posessions ready for an amphibious assault.
War was declared against sweden in November '54. Noway immediately joined.

scandinavian-campaign.jpg

Superior Duchy troops quickly vanquished both armies, and gained prestigious peace offering from both nations, including the province of Hammerfest.

The State of the Duchy's European posessions following the Scandinavian conquest

stateoftheduchy1855.jpg

1850s Expansion, pt. 2

Although derirous to unify germany before the decade was up, the existence of an independent Korea, a land somewhat historically associated in the Duke's mind with Japan, prompted the decision to first attempt a slight clearing-up exercise in the far east:

korea1.jpg

korea-annexed.jpg

Meanwhile, newly commissioned Japanese troops were being transported to Europe in preparation for another war. Hamburg still had the most unfriendly relations with Brunswick, and thus seemed the most logical target. War was declared on the first of June, 1856. It was decided not to involve Anhalt lest they gain provinces and become less easily annexable later.

prussia1.jpg

prussia2.jpg

prussia3.jpg

Troops poured over the Prussian border, and in Bavaria and Baden. Berlin quickly fell, and, after a number of offers, Prussia finally accepted satellite status.

prussia4.jpg

prussia5a.jpg

The Armies of the Duchy were then ordered into Austria, and made swift progress. Vienna was the priority, with ten cavalry divisions riding to secure it from the outset. 16 Austrian divisions were encircled and annialated in Prague before the Emperor conceded defeat.

prussia6.jpg

The State of the Duchy in 1857

stateoftheduchy1857.jpg

------------

Who's next? The Choice, as I see it, seems to be between France, Russia, Switzerland or Belgium/UK. Brunswick's navy isn't quite up to scratch yet (although research is going full steam ahead - pun intended!), so we shall probably avoid the latter. Or, of course, we could break our treaty and try to get more land from Austria. Any suggestions?

I say clean up your European territories: get rid of the last few small nations within or near Germany and finish off Holland as well. Of course, you would have to include Austria in your unification of Germanic nations :D

Russia, plus tidyign up other places as and when opportunity presents.