• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No Problem. Just adding to your info not correcting. Also did you know that after the proverbial "fall" of the Original Roman Empire the lands were called Romania?

It means "Land of the Romans". Intersting considering that we now have a country called Romania. :D I really do like this AAR. Shame it will put you on a collision course with the OC....Er I mean the OE :D

Lord G. Q. White said:
No Problem. Just adding to your info not correcting. Also did you know that after the proverbial "fall" of the Original Roman Empire the lands were called Romania?

It means "Land of the Romans". Intersting considering that we now have a country called Romania. :D I really do like this AAR. Shame it will put you on a collision course with the OC....Er I mean the OE :D

The Ottomans also preserved the "Roman" name as well in that one of the terms used for the Balkan lands was Rumilia, which in Ottoman Turkish translates as "the province (il) of the Romans (Rum)". The Turks (both Ottoman and pre-Ottoman) used the term "Rum" for the Hellophone population they encountered in Anatolia and, later, for the Orthodox population of the Balkans (who in the classical Ottoman political system were under the jurisdiction of the Patriarch of Istanbul/Constantinople who was, of course, Greek.)

bird203.gif

Chapter 3
November 12, 1836 – December 5, 1836

November 12, 1836:
Otto dictated a letter to his scribe as he continued his preparations for his wedding. It was a political wedding, no doubt, but it was a wedding. Even in the 19th Century political wedding were alive and well. There was nothing strange about that. What was strange about this wedding, though, was that the King of Greece would not have his wedding in Greece. Rather, his wedding would take place in Oldenburg, the home of his future wife. Additionally frustrating to the Greeks was the fact that, even fully aware of his people’s dissatisfaction with such an action, their king’s wedding would be Catholic. “At the very least,” some would say, “he could have a private Catholic wedding and a public Orthodox wedding. And he could have it in Greece! This is ridiculous. He cares nothing of the Greek people and the Greek faith.” Further, Princess Amelie would make this situation even more unpleasant for the Greeks by her constant interference in the affairs of the government. For a conservative people such as the Greeks, this was undesirable and unbelievable.

Given this background, Otto’s next decision came as a surprise to no one. The desire for free speech and a free press was nothing odd in Europe. People had been calling for such things as long as anyone could remember. There were even demonstrations, some violent, calling for this reform. Greece, like many others, had a state-sponsored press. That means that, like most other nations in Europe, Otto could directly control what the people read in their nation’s press. Of course, with a 25% literacy rate, that wasn’t much of an issue in Greece. Most people gained their news from the front, wherever it may be, or from things heard from the friend of a friend of a friend. That was one of Otto’s reasons for his aggressive funding of education in the country.

At any rate, Otto had no desire to see more demonstrations in his country, peaceful or violent. He was already unpopular enough with his citizens and, if the gossip was any indication, the princess was going to be even less popular. In a letter dictated to his scribe Otto ordered his ministers to bit the bullet, pay the necessary money and release governmental control of the presses and deliver it into the hands of private individuals with one major caveat – the presses would be censored. Otto and his ministers would have the final say over every article printed within the nation. Perhaps, Otto thought, this will stem the tide of gossip among the Greeks.

The implimentation of censored press in Greece:
ScreenSave6.jpg

December 5, 1836:
Less than two weeks had passed since the wedding and the Greeks were already discussing the possibility of an heir to the throne. Prayers were said to God and the Saints to bless the wedding bed of the young couple. Candles were lit at church. Some even approached the king, when in public, offering their advice on how to impregnate his young wife. “Oh, well,” Otto would confide to Amelie, “at least they aren’t cursing and spitting at us.” This would always produce a knowing smile from the former princess, now queen, who was well aware of the animosity the people felt towards their imposed rulers.

In the first of many diplomatic deals that would take place under the Bavarian, Otto approached the United Kingdom in an effort to obtain a technology that had, thus far, eluded his scientists.

The relations between the British and the Greeks could not be described as good, but they were hardly bad. Fortunately for Otto, Lord Melbourne, the British Prime Minister, was involved in a sexual scandal at the time. For many years Lord Melbourne had been friends with Caroline Norton, wife of George Norton. Strapped for cash, PM Norton asked to borrow £1400. When Melbourne refused, Norton accused Lord Melbourne of having an affair with his wife. For a while the Tories believed that the scandal would cause the downfall of Prime Minister Melbourne. However, in the absence of any evidence, Norton was eventually forced to drop his charges against the Prime Minister. For the time being, though, this increased his desire for some sort of diplomatic victory in an effort to take the focus off of him and his administration. Thus, for only 6,500 Drachmae, von Armansperg would disagree with the “just” part, the British were persuaded to teach the Greeks the technology known as Freedom of Trade. From that simple technology would come the creation of canned food factories and later the ability to research railroads, something that would be vital to a nation such as Greece if it were to expand economically. Further, the technology would allow a 2% decrease in the amount of money needed to fight crime across the nation, a plague that seemed to be gaining ground in Greece. All in all, it was a very good investment for the king, one the Greeks would soon come to appreciate.

George Norton’s fraudulent claims of an affair caused Lord Melbourne (below) a temporary headache:
PRmelbourne.jpg

Greece makes an offer to the Brits:
untitled486.jpg

The Brits accept:
Image365.jpg

Next: Warm sun, cool sea.

Last edited:
Nice.

El-Rey said:
Let's see how little Greece annex big turkey. :D

I neither confirm or deny anything. However, as the song says, "Ya gotta' know when to hold 'em / Know when to fold 'em."

By the way, tons of thanks to Axelthorpe for redrawing the phoenix image that's at the beginning of every post.

Update after the Cowboys game.

Unless the subtitle of this AAR is 'Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bankruptcy', he doesn't exactly have a lot of options for the IMMEDIATE future. :p

I think it's cool when people pick minor nations as their subject of their AAR. Very nice. :)

bird203.gif

Chapter 4
April 1, 1837 – August 8, 1837

April 1, 1837:
Otto was on his now daily tours of Athens when some wonderful, if unexpected, news arrived. The tours were the suggestion of one of his many Bavarian aides. “If you are to rule the people,” he claimed, “you must first know them. You have to understand them and their history. In Greece that could take forever; but let me give you two hours of tours per day. At the very least, it’ll allow the people to see their king. Maybe they’ll begin to warm to you.” Reluctantly, Otto had agreed. Today’s tour, though, was in an area where the people probably shouldn’t see him – the Pnyx. This was the very spot on which the ancient Athenian Assembly met to cast their votes. This was the very spot on which pure democracy worked. Well, pure democracy in the sense that all male citizens aged 28 and older participated. Greece was hardly an egalitarian society. “In any case,” Otto told him aide, “we shouldn’t stay here too long. I don’t want the Greeks to start getting any ideas.”

Otto was standing on the Bema, the platform for those who would speak to the Assembly, when news arrived. The Russians wanted an alliance. Though he was young, Otto was no fool. He was well aware, as was the rest of Europe, of Russia’s plans on the Ottomans. He was also aware, again, like the rest of Europe, that Russia, more than likely, simply desired an alliance with the Greeks as a distraction to the Ottomans. At best, in the minds of many, the Greeks would simply sustain their independence, occupying the Ottomans in the mountains of Greece for much of the war. At worst, Greece would lose some of its hard-fought territory. It wouldn’t be annexed, though. Europe would not stand for that.

However, Otto had plans of his own. Just like the Russians, he needed some warm bodies to distract the Ottomans. The open plains of the Ukraine would be a wonderful place for such a distraction to take place. Though he knew that the Russian hordes would eventually overwhelm almost any opponent, he was also equally optimistic that a few Russian losses would allow the Greeks the chance for an incursion far enough into the Ottoman Empire that the Sultan would be happy to cede a few provinces to regain peace.

“Wonderful!” Otto clapped his hands once as he descended the stairs. “Call the Russian ministers to my palace! We shall have a great feast to celebrate the birth of our great alliance. It will be on a level that would make Alexander jealous! Unfortunately we can’t burn Persipolis tonight, though!” This comment, surprisingly, actually elicited a few chuckles from some Greek Army officers that had provided security for Othos, as Otto was known in Greek.

The Russians offer a military alliance:
alliance.jpg

A view of the Bema at the Pynx:
pnyx_bema.jpg

August 8, 1837:
Puerto Viejo:

The history of Haiti, or Hayti as it’s known to some, was a sad one. Originally a Spanish colony, it was discovered by Columbus in 1492, France took control of the western third of the island in 1697 at the Treaty of Ryswick. Renamed Saint Domingue, the newly French colony quickly becomes the richest in the world. In fact, the wealth was so great that Saint Domingue’s capital, Cap Français, was widely known as the Paris of the New World. However, as the old adage goes, that which glitters is not always gold.

The government in Haiti was a cruel one. From 1697 to 1791 over half a million slaves taken by the French were flogged, starved and buried alive for very minor offenses. While the French colonial masters lived in luxury, the lower classes lived in Hell. With that in mind, it should have been a surprise to no one when the revolution began. Quickly spreading throughout the entire island, swift action was required by the French and Spanish authorities. However, where the French abolished slavery after the rebellion, the Spanish reimposed it on the populace, planting the seeds of future rebellion. Haiti, though, remained fairly tranquil until 1803 when, after a failed expedition by Bonaparte, slavery was reintroduced to Cap Français and Saint Domingue as well. This proved to be too much, sparking another series of rebellions and civil wars that eventually resulted in the complete independence of Haiti when General Boyer paid the French a sum of 150 million Francs to the French government.

Despite this turbulent and hate-filled past, Otto believed that he could impose order and tranquility on the island. Besides, he needed future soldiers if he was to expand Greece's borders. In order to gain control of the island, thousands of Greek troops would make a two-month journey from the Aegean to the Caribbean. Unfortunately for the Haitians, they had no idea what fate awaited them until the Greeks stepped ashore at Puerto Viejo. The Greco-Haitian War had begun.

Greeks prepare for the journey to Haiti:
ScreenSave10.jpg

The Greco-Haitian War begins:
ScreenSave12.jpg

Puerto Viejo marked the site of the Greek invasion:
PuertoViejo-PlayaCocles.jpg

Next: Warm sun, cool sea pt II

Talking about Greece and the new world makes me think of the ancient civilisation of Atlantis. Of course, I'm not insinuating that Haiti is infact the site of Atlantis. I'd never do such a thing as that. I mean, just because they are both beyond the Pillars of Hercules doesn't mean anything...does it?

weychun said:
Bravo Josh, absolutely great AAR!!

Thanks! I'm trying to make this one more "historical" by using the real rulers and governmental officials.

Sultan Of Swing said:
Talking about Greece and the new world makes me think of the ancient civilisation of Atlantis. Of course, I'm not insinuating that Haiti is infact the site of Atlantis. I'd never do such a thing as that. I mean, just because they are both beyond the Pillars of Hercules doesn't mean anything...does it?

Don't you remember when Homer talked about those crazy Atlantians smoking tobacco and swimming wit' da sharks, 'mon? (Oh, wait, that's Jamaica)

JoshWeber said:
Don't you remember when Homer talked about those crazy Atlantians smoking tobacco and swimming wit' da sharks, 'mon? (Oh, wait, that's Jamaica)
Maybe that's why I said Haiti wasn't the site of Atlantis ;)

Heheh, Its nice to see someone taking up the reigns of an Greek AAR. Feel free to check the one in my signature If your looking for inspiration.

I intervened once in Haiti as well, but it was to ensure the liberty of the Dominican Republic :)