The perceived meaninglessness of Buildings

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

VoodooDog

First Lieutenant
71 Badges
Mar 28, 2016
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Building just feel boring, they do nothing but giving a lil + to some numbers. No new units (like in previous titles), no new buildings, no nothing.
With this meaninglessness, its just annoying to go to the city and actually think about what to build next :(

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's represented by tiers. If I had to guess, the game would probably need more units in the first place for this.

I won't specifically object to a well thought out connection between some units and a variety of buildings.
Albeit I'd probably still have to make gold buildings as a strategic decision...

So the game would probably also need more gold income to support it.

Last edited:
It's part of the point. Buildings are really simple because they're not the focus of the game. You're not supposed to agonize over how you build a city, that's reserved for army movement and tactical battles.

Reactions:
It's part of the point. Buildings are really simple because they're not the focus of the game. You're not supposed to agonize over how you build a city, that's reserved for army movement and tactical battles.

Yet you do end up agonizing over it because the game presents you with a list of 20+ buildings after unlocking the extra ones hiding behind the Wizard's Tower, Tomes and Fortifications. If anything I would like to see less buildings, but ones that have more impact than "+10 food".

If you've ever played competitive multiplayer instead of AFK farm the AI single player (the AI is very bad, even on Brutal) you would see that the entire game revolves around rushing Research structures and Gold. Food is largely ignored, as is Production. Mana and Draft are only built when required. But this doesn't mean that I appreciate having my UI cluttered with 20+ structures that I can't hide.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Building selection is yet another type of choice in the game that doesn't feel impactful and engaging. Maybe it's the small, boring bonuses that are almost always quantitative and not qualitative. Maybe it just happens too often when you have more cities.

Yes, you can automate it... But I don't want to automate or ignore choices because they are not impactful. I want them to be impactful.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm not particularly sad that we no longer need a warhall and a racial t3 building and class buildings to unlock unit production.

But a way to build units with a few bonus ranks would be nice. I kinda liked that aspect of AoW 3. I liked building some unit types as silver tier right from the start when tech & buildings were stacked. Like priest units for theocrats or archers for dreadnought.

• 2Like
Reactions:
And yet this is exactly what iam doing. With the previous titles, they thought process actually was fun because it was meaningful. Now the thought process remains, but its not fun, its boring and agonizing.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'd rather the game focus on adding more depth to what makes AOW unique:
  • Leaders
  • Heroes
  • Affinities
  • Tomes
Buildings feel good enough for me. The culture variants are a nice touch already.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, what do you want from a city beyond a resource income and ability to build units?
The same that the cities provided in the last installments of the game. From time to time new gameplay mechanics with new buildings. Either by providing Units, the ability to forge powerful items, expand and/or increase the mages range, etc.
IE more meaning, as i wrote in my original post.

The same that the cities provided in the last installments of the game. From time to time new gameplay mechanics with new buildings. Either by providing Units, the ability to forge powerful items, expand and/or increase the mages range, etc.
IE more meaning, as i wrote in my original post.
The game mostly retained the building list from previous titles but reworked the military branch due to faction rework and somewhat reworked the defence and magic branches.

In fact, city structure list is significantly bigger due to tomes and culture specific buildings that synergize and or interact with more things (pops, districts, stability etc) than most previous city buildings in previous games in the series.

Do you mean like that you miss class specific buildings from AoW3 in particular or the previous military branch structure? Or like the stat boosting stuff from the landmarks? What do you mean by mages range? As in strategic spells?

There are buildings that have a large impact on your gameplay, mostly from tomes. Also mage tower.

Tomes, for example, change the way you are going to do things. Like even covenant, that forces you to be good.

Plus some stuff belongs to province improvements, like sanctuary, herbalist or teleport.

Point of interest is how AoW had buildings to unlock units, e.g. Warhall for the cavalry stuff.

I think it could work, by staggering the recruitment of tier 2 and 3 units etc, especially if you need these buildings ontop of research, to recruit the non cultural units, e.g. need Temple (needs shrine and t2 city) + Tome of Pyromancer = recruit Pyromancer (currently you just need the research)

In effect this is a soft form of gating.

You could amplify this by making these buildings occupy space on the strategic map, i.e. make every building a special province improvement.

So:

tier 1 city --> build shrine/barracks on map hex/province --> recruits t1 units (your base cultural stuff), then research tome stuff that has tier 1 units.

Upgrade city --> then upgrade the barracks to a warhall, shrine to a temple --> research Pyromancer.

=================================<>====================================

Such a system would emphasise the value of each unit and also each building, as per the OP.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The only buildings that I find kind of meaningless are the Guilds.

I do get what they are going for, but I think that Special Province Improvements already do what they do but better, not to mention that I feel like there's no point in building Farmer's or Worker's Guilds. The only exception being the Seafarer's Guild, since it gives a wide range of bonuses (even without that Society Trait) and it's for a Province Inprovent that's the only one you can build on water tiles and you already going for them anyway in a port city, leaving the rest of the ground for the other cities.

I don't mind the PI requirements to get them, but I think most of their bonuses should be independent from them, especially since you can build only one in each town. This is my idea:
  • Merchant's Guild - Increases the Production to Gold conversion to 50%; +2 Gold for each 1 Population.
  • Mage's Guild - +10% Mana income; +2 Mana for each 1 Population.
  • Scholar's Guild - +10% Knowledge income; +2 Knowledge for each 1 Population.
  • Farmer's Guild - Increases the Draft to Food conversion to 50%; City can have the option to give half of it's Food income to another friendly connected city for 10 Turns. (by "connected" it means that either city must share borders or both have to have a Teleporter; "friendly" means your cities and vassals)
  • Worker's Guild - +10% Production income; City can have the option to give half of it's Production income to another friendly connected city for 10 Turns.
  • Smith's Guild - +10% Draft income; +2 starting rank to every unit produced in city or summoned in city's domain.
  • Seafarer's Guild - +3 Food, +3 Production. +3 Draft, +3 Gold per Fishery; +2 starting rank to every naval unit produced in city.

Yes, I suppose people didn't get the memo that past iterations were even more wargame.

Voices like this is the reason why the game is suffering a decline.

Reactions:
Voices like this is the reason why the game is suffering a decline.
I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm just saying they didn't get the memo. Same as players who have only played Planetfall, come looking for Planetfall 2, disappointed when it's not fantasy Planetfall 100%.

Rest assured, while I would be open to more radical options for races, I find them as annoying as they find me.

• 2Like
Reactions: