• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shall subscribe!

Five Small Wars: 1890-1895

During the first half of the 1890s, the PRA would find itself waging several wars, with none of them requiring large amounts of manpower or any type of mobilization. While these wars were not as bloody as previous conflicts, the effects would be no less profound. By 1895, the PRA would be more unstable than during any other point during its existence. Before these wars would begin, the PRA had established two colonies in the South Pacific, one in Tahiti and one in Araucania. The PRA had hoped to extend their influence across the Pacific and this was their first step towards doing so.

tahiti.png
araucania.png

South Pacific colonies established in the fall of 1891

The first of these wars would take place far to the south, on the Yucatan peninsula. Yucatan had separated from Mexico during the 1860s, and had allied themselves with the USA, which would protect them from their mutual enemy of Mexico proper. Now that the former governments of both Mexico and America had fallen, Yucatan found themselves in a desperate situation. The Communist government in Mexico desired to recapture this territory, though the communists in the PRA were hesitant to allow this to happen. While Mexico was no longer a threat after the end of the second Mexican – American war, and relations were more amiable than ever, the PRA did not fully trust Mexico, and decided that keeping Mexico divided was in their best interest. The PRA would deny Mexico the opportunity to annex the Yucatan, but would instead help install a communist regime in the Yucatan. In the Winter of 1892, the PRA began fabricating a claim that the current conservative government in Yucatan had rigged the previous election, and that the local communist party was the true winner. The Yucatan denied these claims, which resulted in the PRA giving the Yucatan an ultimatum; either the Conservative government could step down now, or they would be removed forcibly. The Conservatives refused to step down, so on March 26th, 1892 the PRA declared war on Yucatan. PRA troops quickly moved in and overwhelmed the tiny Yucatan military, with the only battle of significance being the battle of Merida.

yucatanmerida.jpg

Battle of Merida, April 19th, 1892

By late 1892 the PRA had fully occupied the Yucatan, and on December 30th the Conservatives were removed, with the Communists taking power in Yucatan.

yucatanpeace.jpg

Peace declared with Yucatan

After the Jacobian revolt of 1889, those in support of restoring the old order, banded together under a new name. Looking back to the original American Revolution for inspiration, they formed the Sons of Liberty. The goal of this group was to restore freedom and democracy however possible, and by 1893, over half of the PRA had local chapters of this organization. The Communists did what they could to put down these traitors, but more and more chapters emerged more quickly than they could be dealt with. In June of 1893, one of these chapters would take a major action. The Alaskan chapter met with local lawmakers and politicians in the settlement of Ulanakeet, and there they decided that the Union and everything it previously stood for had died, and that Alaska would secede from the rest of the PRA. The communists viewed this as an obvious act of war, and immediately moved to reunite Alaska with the rest of the republic. However, Alaska was a vast and rugged land, and this campaign would be slow going.

alaskasucceed.png

Alaska declares their secession

alaskaz.jpg

Map showing Alaska

By the fall, the Sons of Liberty had gained an incredible amount of momentum. They had chapters in more locations than not, with more and more of the general population becoming aware of their message. In late October, the situation for the Communists would turn from bad to worse, as more States would declare their secession from the Republic. In less than a week, both California and Wyoming seceded, with the later renaming itself to the Dakota Republic.

calidakota.jpg

Map showing the California and Dakota Republics

This new sense of liberalism would spark civil disobedience across the republic, with a particularly large riot breaking out in the territory of Nevada-Utah.

1893nevadariot.jpg
nevadariot2.jpg

Riot in Moab, November 1893

In January of 1894, after long and strenuous marches through the Alaskan hinterland, the PRA won a few victories over the Alaskans, but the re-conquest of Alaska was far from over. To the South, the Dakota Republic was unable to muster any type of army or militia, and was forced to surrender after being fully occupied by late February.

dakotasurrender.png

Dakota Republic surrenders, February 26th, 1894

Even further south, the Californians had managed to raise a small army, which clashed with the PRA army in the decisive battle of San Francisco, the largest of any battle fought during the secession wars.

battleofsanfrancisco.png

Battle of San Francisco, March 1st, 1894

In the following months, more battles would be won by the PRA and occupy California, forcing their surrender in the summer of 1894.

calisurrender.png

California surrenders, August 9th 1894

The Alaskan campaigned trudged along slowly, well into the fall of 1894, when another secession occurred. This time it was Nebraska who would secede, and declared themselves as the Union of the Midwest. They had hoped for other states of the Midwest to join them in their new union, but others had refused, and Nebraska found themselves alone. In the early Winter of 1895, Alaska surrendered, and the battle of Omaha occurred shortly thereafter, which would be the last battle of the secession wars.

alaskasurrender.png

Alaska surrenders, January 29th 1895

battleofomaha.png

Battle of Omaha, February 19th 1895

With the PRA army focused on the last remaining seceded state, The Union of the Midwest surrendered shortly thereafter, and order had been restored across the republic.

v248.jpg

Union of the Midwest surrenders, restoring peace across the republic

While all four of the secession wars had been won by the PRA with relative ease, the communists were still in hot water. All throughout the wars, the Sons of Liberty had increased their numbers. While most of their strongholds, and all of their open rebellions were located in the sparsely populated western states and territories, by 1895 they had an increasingly formidable presence in the populated eastern states. If one of densely populated north eastern states also seceded, it would be a disastrous situation for the PRA. The PRA was also stunned by the sheer will of the Sons of Liberty and their co-conspirators. Despite the sparsely populated western states ability to field large armies, multiple states had still seceded, even when there was no hope for them against the might of the PRA army. This stubborn; even suicidal attitude of the Sons of Liberty would be enough to give Communists leaders nightmares when they slept.

Interesting development

I've been quite busy as of late and haven't really had much time to play VicII. I'm hoping people are still interested in my AAR, and if so, I don't plan on letting this fizzle out. Once September roles around I should have much more free time to dedicate to this, which is probably when my next update will be.

I've been quite busy as of late and haven't really had much time to play VicII. I'm hoping people are still interested in my AAR, and if so, I don't plan on letting this fizzle out. Once September roles around I should have much more free time to dedicate to this, which is probably when my next update will be.

Keep it up. I look forward to your updates.

For "disunited" States, that was very anticlimactic. I mean really, the Dakota Republic, in the smack-dab MIDDLE of the PRA, and they're like "Let's declare independence.". Sure, if they don't join as one nation like the South did, they could at lest coordinate their rebellions a little better. >.>

I think the "problem" is that VicII is programed to have giants communists and anarchists, not the other way around.With some unlucky he will face some north giant rebellion :laugh:

For "disunited" States, that was very anticlimactic. I mean really, the Dakota Republic, in the smack-dab MIDDLE of the PRA, and they're like "Let's declare independence.". Sure, if they don't join as one nation like the South did, they could at lest coordinate their rebellions a little better. >.>

It's because his militancy's not very high, Disunited States opens the possibility of secession, but whether or not it happens is based on militancy. Trust me if militancy gets high it can cause the US to implode spectacularly.

This is great! Subbed.

Awesome story, I was waiting for a Disunited States scenario to pop up around these parts. Will be watching closely!

IN the future you can continue this AAR in HoI3?

Spiraling out of Control: 1895-1897

In the wake of the rebellions that plagued the first half of the 1890s, the PRA worked hard to restore prestige to their nation. In 1895 the PRA hosted a colonial exposition. Empires from around the world, including those who viewed the PRA as an enemy, arrived in Washington to take part in this grandiose event. The PRA extensively showcased their new colonies in the South Pacific as well as their progress in building a canal through Panama, a project which would have profound effects on sea travel for the PRA. The event was considered a success.

colonialexposition.jpg

The colonial exposition of 1895

In late 1895, the situation in Panama took a turn for the worse. The PRA-friendly Panamanian government had been toppled, and thrown out PRA diplomats in the process. The construction of the Panama canal was considered too important of a project to lose, and the communists felt they had no choice but to intervene and insert a regime that would be willing to work with the PRA.

panamarebel.jpg

The Panamanian rebellion of 1896

The PRA declared war shortly thereafter, though they would not need to send any troops of their owned. The PRA summoned their faithful ally Colombia to join their cause, and throughout the early months of 1896 the Colombian army invaded and occupied Panama, all in the name of the PRA. By early spring of 1896 the Colombian campaign had resulted in victory for the Colombians and PRA, and Panama was forced to enter the PRA’s sphere.

v25b.jpg

The Colombian invasion of Panama

Meanwhile on the home front, the dust had never fully settled from the earlier uprisings. The Sons of Liberty continued to campaign for secession from the Republic, and in the second half of 1896 they had no trouble finding an audience. The populace found themselves more and more disconnected from the communist regime, no longer being able to identify with their ideals, or make sense of the economic plans that the communists had set for the country. The Sons of Liberty largely worked covertly as purges still continued, and dissenters would vanish in the middle of the night, never to be seen again. One platform that the communists had promised was the passing of various social reforms, but the communists had not passed any in over a year by December of 1896. While freed from capitalism, working conditions were still deplorable for many, with unsafe work practices resulting in a steady stream of highly public and easily preventable deaths, and an apathetic view on pollution had turned many urban centers into toxic slums. In Mid December 1896, Michigan and Alabama declared secession from the Republic for many of the above reasons, and the PRA once found themselves struggling to keep the states inline. The PRA quickly restored order in Alabama but before they could invade Michigan, Oklahoma and Kansas would declare secession as well, and form the Union of the Midwest. By Early March, Washington state, Missouri, and Georgia would also secede.

v211v.jpg

The PRA as of March 1897

The PRA’s stance was to stand a firm ground in regard to seceding states and giving into their demands. “Give them an inch and they will take a mile” was their motto when dealing with secessionists, and refused to pass any of the reforms that they demanded. As a result, their grip over the populace weakened and many other states seceded, at a rate faster than the PRA could put them down. By early April Iowa, South Dakota, and most devastatingly to the PRA, Illinois had separated.

v212.jpg

The PRA as of April 1897

Illinois proved to be the most problematic of the seceding states for the PRA. It was one of the most heavily populated states in the union, and a considerable loss for the PRA economy. The politicians in Illinois recognized that if secession from the PRA was to be successful, the seceded states would need to work together. On April 10th, they hosted the Springfield conference, inviting all seceded states to form a union of their own, so they could stand united against the PRA. The conference was a moderate success, with Michigan and South Dakota agreeing to their plan. Together, the three states formed the new nation known as the Free States of America.

v213d.jpg

The formation of the Free States of America (FSA)

They had hoped more states would join their new nation, but many did not bite. The Illinois government that the conference was assembled on extremely short term notice, and with more states now seceding on a daily basis the logistics of having all the seceded states was near impossible. They spend the next few months organizing and planning, all the while defending against the PRA, which now had their offensive in full swing. In June they were to host a second Conference in the new capital of Springfield, to ask all seceded states to join their union. This however was not a simple decision for many of the newly independent states. They had just separated from an oppressive union of states, and much of the population felt that they were better off on their own than joining with other states with a different culture and different day to day problems than their own state. To many, it seemed like a military alliance would be the best solution, to work together to destroy the PRA but to maintain independence. Whatever the states decide, the PRA saw the only possible outcomes of the conference as bad to worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.