• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
772-773 The Conquest of Borovichi
772-773 The Conquest of Borovichi

Kardaz sent out a call to arms to his vassal, Chief Vechkas of Torzhok, who was standing right next to him, asking him to join him in the conquest of Borovichi. Vechkas readily agreed. So the war banners were raised and the armies moved west to rally with Vechkas' tribesmen in Torzhok. Meanwhile, Paksyut Paksyutid, who had just married Songul Yabuid, the daughter of a Turkish Khagan, was tasked to build up Kardaz's legend and raise more warriors to join the war.

HOCf8Ci.jpg

As the troops gathered, Kardaz's son Viryay came of age. He had not been a very promising student, but his education had made him a tough soldier, and after Vechkas, he was the best military leader in Merya. So Kardaz made him a commander. He also arranged Viryay's betrothal to Ordava Okivid, the daughter of Chief Pinyas of Naro-Fominsk and Mozhaysk, who was still grateful for the Merya saving his tribes from the rebels and wiling to form an alliance.

25Tcg6p.jpg

iQ7S8K9.jpg

Unfortunately, Chief Pinyas was murdered a month later by Yalgava Yalgavid, the wife of High Chief Parush of Meshchera, ending the alliance before Pinyas could officially join Kardaz's war and send troops. Ordava became an orphan and her father's titles went to High Chief Parush, but as she had strong claims to both tribes, Kardaz didn't break the engagement.

MZ9HBXe.jpg

The first Battle of Borovichi took place in late winter, and turned out to be less of a Battle than had been expected. Kardaz led 1,400 from Torzhok north into Borovichi. High Chief Rodislav had just over 1,000 men there but was not ready to face Kardaz, so he lead the bulk of his army east into Veps, and left 200 men to cover his retreat. Rumors circulated that when Rodisav had been taken prisoner a few years earlier, his enemies had cut off his balls, making him a eunuch, and he had lost his courage along with his manhood. The men Rodislav left behind fought a running battle through the forest, losing almost half their number before they broke contact and fled west across the frozen Volkhov River. Kardaz and his men broke off pursuit and lay siege to the Bororvichi Tribe.

xHI1yGh.jpg

gl0nxDx.jpg

Meanwhile in the east, the steward, Paksyut Paksyutid had managed to convince 300 young men of Kardaz's legendary status and called them to muster in Merya before sending them west to join the main army. But these young men got a taste of battle much sooner than expected. High Chief Rodislav and the 850 men of his main army had continued east across Veps and then turned south into Uglich territory, racing toward the Merya tribal lands. Both armies were surprised to find the other when they arrived at Merya. The Merya volunteers were camped haphazardly outside of the Merya Tribe and had not set up a proper military camp. Only the fact that the Ilmenians had not known they were kept it from being a complete slaughter. Even so, only two thirds of the volunteers survived. They fled west toward the safety of the main army at Borovichi. The Ilmenians lost only 22 men. High Chief Rodislav set up a siege camp around Merya.

UK2484t.jpg

By late spring Borovichi had fallen and Kardaz's scouts had reported that Ilmenians that had fled west that winter had gathered reinforcements and were heading east through Torzhok to join up with Rodislav. Kardaz headed south in pursuit. Neither Kardaz or the Ilmenian reinforcements knew of the 210 Meryan volunteers entering Torzhok from the east. The volunteers fleeing from one battle ran right into a second when they ran right into an Ilmenian ambush. They were pinned down and taking heavy losses when the cavalry arrived in the form of Kardaz and his main army. The Ilmenian reinforcements were scattered.

8E8rEfn.jpg

6guHG2e.jpg

Approximately 100 of them fled east and joined up with High Chief Rodislav at Merya, warning him of Kardaz army close behind. Rodislav again fled from battle, breaking off the siege of Merya and heading north into Yaroslavl. But Kardaz was hard on his heels and knew this area like the back of his hand. The Meryan army gained on the fleeing Ilmenians and brought them to battle on the banks of the Volga River outside the Yaroslavl Tribe.

sn2GLIs.jpg

The Ilmenian army put up a fight at first inflicting some heavy casualties, but Rodislav panicked, the line broke, and the slaughter began. Rodislav fled the battlefield, leaving over 200 dead men behind. Kardaz stopped to bury his own 50 dead and burn the enemy bodies, before he turned back west heading toward the Ilmenian tribe at Kholm.

tXZqMUR.jpg

Before winter started, Karzad sent his son Viryay back to Merya. Ordava Okivid was coming of age and needed to be made welcome when she arrived in Merya for the wedding. Viryay would spend the winter in Merya with his new bride and then could rejoin the army in the spring. Ordava had matured into a fearful young women skilled in diplomacy and intrigue which wasn't surprising as she had spent the last few years trapped in the court of the Chief who's wife openly boasted of having murdered Ordava's father for her husband's gain. Ordava burned with an ambition to avenge her father and reclaim her people's lands.

2X0L6Ga.jpg

Kardaz expected the both armies to settle into winter camps and resume fighting when the thaw came. But it was mid winter when the Ilmenian army reappeared, trying to free Borovichi. Kardaz broke off his siege of Kholm, leaving the warm siege camp to march north through the dark cold forest. Just after the new year began, The Meryan and Ilmenian armies met outside the tribal village in the second Battle of Borovichi. For the first time, flight wasn't foremost on the Ilmenian mind and the outnumbered Slavic warriors stood their ground. The fight was brutal as the winter sun soon set and a bone chilling cold descended on the battlefield, the snow underfoot turned black in the moonlight from the spilled blood. In the end, the Meryan numbers won the night, but at a heavy cost. Close to five hundred men were killed that night, more than half Meryans. The cold had killed as many as the enemy warriors. But dawn found the Meryans once again holding the field as the surviving Ilmenians had fled at first light.

6KsWNyS.jpg

The Meryans found one man who had been left behind, tending to some wounded enemy warriors. But he wasn't Ilmenian, he was a German and a Christian. The wounded Ilmenians were killed and the German was brought before Kardaz in the Borovichi village longhouse.

Karadaz got up and limped around the German looking him over, his gout had flared back up making him wince with every step. He hadn't seen a Christian in years, not since some traders had come up the Volga one summer.

Nyalku Ngayid, a Nenets Fledgling of the Followers of Otso who had become friends with Kardaz and joined the war against the Slavs spoke up. "We should sacrifice him to Ukko, to give thanks for our victory and ask for a speedy end to the war."

Several of the other warriors in the lodge voiced their agreement. Kardaz was inclined to agree, thinking Ukko may have never received the sacrifice of a German Christian before.

XtuDaTo.jpg

The German appeared to understand their speech as his eyes grew fearful. Struggling to find words in the Mordvin language he protested, "Wait, my name is Dietpold, I can help you, I'm a doctor." but at the blank looks around him, he tried again, "a physician.. a healer."

Kardaz spoke, "We have our own healers and shaman."

The German Dietpold, looked around at the Meryan faces, looking for a way out. Kardaz walked back to his seat and sat down, taking the weight off his foot.

"Find one of the shaman, we'll prepare a sacrifice to Ukko."

Dietpold blurted out desperately, " I can cure your gout... You do have gout? Don't you?"

"How did you know that?"

"I can tell by how you walk and favor your toe, and how elevating it helps relieve some of the pain."

"You can cure it?"

"I can treat it and make the pain go away... for awhile. Your humors are out of balance, causing an inflammation in your foot, I know ways to restore the balance. It may come back later, but can be treated again."

Kardaz considered for a moment and then said, "If you can treat my affliction successfully, you will not be sacrificed and will be given a place in my longhouse as a healer."

Under the watchful eye of several Meryan warriors and shaman, Dietpold performed bloodletting from certain locations on Kardaz's body and applied compresses made from peat moss and other medicinal plants to Kardaz's inflamed foot over the next few days as the army recuperated at Borovichi. Within a few days, Kardaz found the pain had receded and he could walk without limping, so Dietpold was spared and joined the Meryan army as they marched west across the still frozen Volkhov River toward Novgorod, Rodislav's capitol.

UtlqqGJ.jpg

In the spring as the siege continued, the Meryans began to here terrible rumors involving the Ilmenian army. With Borovichi captured and Novgorod under siege, Rodislav and his army had been cut off from any resupply all winter and now tales began to spread of cannibalism among the Ilmenian army during the worst of the winter months.

G6yuDSy.jpg

Just before the summer solstice, Novgorod fell to the Meryan warriors and they celebrated Ukon juhla on the shores of Lake Ilmen, a celebration of the god, Ukko, which was mostly singing, dancing, and drinking heavily before jumping over bonfires to gain luck and prosperity for the coming year.

The Slavic temple of Solsty was sacked soon after. But while the Meryans were sieging Solsty, Rodislav's army snuck back to Bororvichi and recaptured the village. More tales spread that Rodislav and his men had eaten the Meryan garrison that had been left to hold Borovichi. Kardaz quickly led his army back across the river, wading and swimming as the river was no longer frozen. Rodislav fled again at their approach and with a quick assault, Borovichi was back in Meryan hands. And there it would stay.

Rodislav soon sent word that he had had enough and surrendered title to the Borovichi lands to Kardaz. Kardaz had completed the task set to him by the Followers of Otso.

KSfrp4g.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Kardaz is an enjoyable protagonist for a very interseting preset. Subbed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Viryay turned out cynical and deceitful, but also trusting? I wonder how that manifests. Maybe he doubts everything until he has proof, and then believes it wholeheartedly? Or maybe he's a cynic regarding religion, but buys into gossip about the folk around him? Hmm... well, at least one trait is clear: he and his wife are both gluttons. That's a dark omen, because the other glutton we saw this update - Rodislav - turned into a Wendigo. We can only hope good harvests keep this pair sated so it never comes to "having old friends for dinner" (as Hannibal Lector would say).

I really liked your explanation for Ordava's traits, by the way. It perfectly tied them together. And of course I'm still loving the escapades of Brave, Brave Sir Robi... er, I mean, Kardaz. :p Looking forward to more!

• 1Like
Reactions:
With every passing day, Kardaz is making his realm stronger

Reactions:
Growing stronger steadily !

Yes, after safely spinning his wheels for 20 years, Kardaz's realm is beginning to grow.

Kardaz is an enjoyable protagonist for a very interseting preset. Subbed.

Yes, Kardaz is fun, not a typical bloodthirsty pagan warrior. Welcome aboard.

Viryay turned out cynical and deceitful, but also trusting? I wonder how that manifests. Maybe he doubts everything until he has proof, and then believes it wholeheartedly? Or maybe he's a cynic regarding religion, but buys into gossip about the folk around him? Hmm... well, at least one trait is clear: he and his wife are both gluttons. That's a dark omen, because the other glutton we saw this update - Rodislav - turned into a Wendigo. We can only hope good harvests keep this pair sated so it never comes to "having old friends for dinner" (as Hannibal Lector would say).

I really liked your explanation for Ordava's traits, by the way. It perfectly tied them together. And of course I'm still loving the escapades of Brave, Brave Sir Robi... er, I mean, Kardaz. :p Looking forward to more!

Viryay's traits are a jumble, just need to figure out whicha re more pronounced and which more subtle. His gluttony tied with one of his other traits will lead to him indulging his appetites with things other than food.

Ordava has had a tough life, both parents and both siblings dead by the time she was 15 and left alone in a hostile court.

With a war won, Kardaz will now return home to see to his family.

With every passing day, Kardaz is making his realm stronger

Yes, the Conquest of Borovichi was a big step for Kardaz, and a first step in further growth for the Merya.

Reactions:
774 - Sons and Daughters, the Future of the Tribe
774 - Sons and Daughters, the Future of the Tribe

cIKhvqJ.jpg

Kardaz stopped at the Lodge after his victory against High Chief Rodislav to report his success and to celebrate with the Followers of Otso. The celebrations lasted for a week and Kardaz enjoyed the comradery and basked in the praise and respect of the warriors. He even took part in a Flyting challenge against a Nenets man named Nabtiko, the Chief of Kolguyev, an island far to the north in the White Sea.

k20Vdz3.jpg

The two of them traded insults for an hour until Nabitko lost his cool and tried to throttle Kardaz as the crowd laughed in delight, thereby making Kardaz the winner. Kardaz quickly soothed Natiko's ruffled feathers and they were soon drinking together. In the end, the drunken High Chief of Merya was wrapped in furs and dumped in the back of sledge and delivered home.

ynOcx9c.jpg

He arrived in Merya to find his oldest son married, both his daughters had come of age during the war, and his youngest son was now heir to the Borovichi tribe.

UIMyNVh.jpg

Putyayka had lived up to the promise Vechkas had seen in her. She was physically imposing with broad shoulders and a muscular frame, already a skilled warrior. She was brave and fair-minded with a lust for life and battle, always wanting more, though a bit cynical. She had little interest in men other than as opponents on the battle field or as training partners. But more than that she had learned all Vechkas could teach her of war and had become a brilliant strategist and a master of siege craft.

m8H8vtX.jpg

Sinyava had also grown up well, despite his sporadic guardianship and being the spoiled baby of the family until little Moksha had appeared when she 12. She had still managed to become a charismatic negotiator, a very social person who could talk rings around most others. She did have a tendency to spin fairytales and half truths, but she told well. More worrisome was her tendency to believe any half truths and fairytales told to her. Physically, she was the opposite of her older sister, frail instead of brawny, and useless in a fight.

With the war won and new lands to administer, as wells as his daughters' future to decide, Kardaz went to work with the tribal council to see if they could sort a few things out.

VKmQgZe.jpg

The first order of business revolved around the new lands. The Borovichi covered a vast stretch of forest along the Volkhov River and the northeast shore of Lake Ilmen. But it would be years before it began to produce wealth and men at its full potential. Another issue was the population was still Slavic Ilmenians, which would make them harder to rule. With the addition of Borovichi, Kardaz's governing skills were again stretched thin and he again felt he should delegate the governing of one the tribes to someone else. He again decided to grant a title to one of his Councilors. This time his spymaster would be raised to the nobility and be granted a Chiefdom. Kardaz considered it a good idea to keep the one's spymaster happy. So Shkay, became Shkay Shkayid, Chief of Bezichy. Bezichy was not one of the de jure counties of Merya and was the poorest of the tribes of Merya (well Borovichi was the actually the poorest at the moment, but would not be once it recovered from the effects of the war).

rxwt7rZ.jpg

The next order of business was to look into finding husbands for his daughters. Chancellor Kezhapa sent out messages with trades and other couriers to see who would make an offer for Putyayka's hand. He received favorable replies from close to 25 potential suitors, including a couple members of Kardaz's court. Kezhapa sorted through them and determined the 5 candidates that would bring the most prestige to Kardaz and Merya, should Putyayka accept their suit.

jRhCcqE.jpg

Karadaz looked through the list and then came back to Kezhapa, "What is this? You have 3 Tengri nomads and a Slavic boy. I'll not send her to live among homeless scavengers far from the forests she loves. And a Slav?! We just finished a war against the Slavs and we will surely fight more. You want her to raise children to attack her own family.

Kezhapa protested, "The Tengri boys are the sons of Khagans and would bring much prestige. Plus the nomads respect warriors, and would respect your daughter's prowess. All of the envoys spoke of how they could see Putyayka would give them strong sons with true warrior spirits."

"Damn nomads, thinking of my daughter as nothing but a brood mare. Besides, she has barely even ridden a horse, and you want her to spend the rest of her life in a saddle. Forget the Tengri."

Kezhapa considered arguing a case for the Slavic boy, but wisely thought better of it. "Nuyat Cheremisid seems to be the only candidate left. He is a fellow Mordvin and shares our gods. He is close in age to Putyayka, only a couple years younger. And he is heir to the High Chiefdom of Cheremisa. He is said to be a kind soul, a bit bookish and spends most of his time with the shaman and diviners...."

Kardaz was puzzling something out," Cheremisa, why do I know... Diviner!" then he growled, " Orunza!"

Kezhapa spoke hastily, "Yes, that is where Orunza ended up after his banishment. But that has no bearing on the suitability of this marriage offer."

"The boy's father made that liar and thief his Court Diviner, he'll be at the court you propose sending my daughter to."

"From all I've heard, Orunza bears you and your family no ill will, and feels the punishment was justified by his own actions. I've heard he is quite happy with his new circumstances and does it well."

"From what I've heard he's mad, touched in the head."

Kezhapa sighed and muttered, "I've heard that, too."

Suddenly, Kardaz was struck by a happier thought, "If he tries anything, Putyayka will pull him apart with her bare hands. Kezhapa, let High Chief Varaka know we are interested in arranging a betrothal, between Putyayka and his boy."
For the next month, Kezhapa was kept busy travelling up and down the river between Merya and Cheremisa first arranging details of the betrothal and dowry and then once that was settled, arranging details of a formal military alliance between the soon to be in laws. Exhausted, he reported back to Kardaz, " It's done, Nuyat will marry Putyayka when he comes of age in two years and we have a military alliance with High Chief Varaka of Cheremisa."

4QpJyNt.jpg
Gn0XKP7.jpg

"Well done, Kezhapa. Now I'll go give the good new to Putyayka."

Putyayka did not react at all like Kardaz expected. He couldn't remember that last time he had seen his very large, little girl cry. And they were not tears of joy.

"I don't want to marry some bookish boy in Cheremisa. I have no interest in marrying anyone. I want to be a warrior and Hero. I want to join you in the Followers of Otso. I want to lead armies and crush the enemies of Merya."

Kardaz stared at his daughter, truly seeing her for the first time. Her eyes fierce even through the tears, her strong calloused hands twisting and crushing the goblet in her grasp. Her powerful body, molded by a lifetime of swinging an axe at a training dummy. He tried to picture her as a wife supervising a feast or cooking a meal with a child on her hip.

He reached across the table and covered her hands with his own, stilling them. "I'm sorry, I should have spoken of all this to you sooner. You don't have to marry anyone you don't want to."

"I don't?"

"You don't. And I will speak with Chief Ylle about you joining the Followers of Otso. But in the meantime, would you consider being my Shieldmaiden and a commander of Merya?"

Putyayka's face lit up and not saying a word, she leapt over the table and scooped up Kardaz in a back breaking hug.

Kardaz laughed , once he could breath. "Put me down, I need to talk to Kezhapa, and send him to back to Cheremisa."

sz66JYP.jpg

Kezhapa, looking completely tired and dejected, said, " Might I make one suggestion, Chief?"

"Yes, What is it?" replied Kardaz.

"Perhaps instead of just breaking the betrothal and losing the alliance, we suggest an alternative to High Chief Varaka."

"What do you mean? What alternative?"

"We suggest Sinyava marry Nuyat, instead of Putyayka. And the alliance and other negotiated terms all stay in effect."

Kardaz face lit up, " That's a brilliant idea, we shall do... wait. Perhaps I should discuss this with Sinyava first."

Kerzhapa quickly agreed, " Yes, you probably should. I'll be in my quarters resting. Let me know what you decide."

Sinyava had no objections to marrying the kindhearted Nuyat, so Kerzhapa once again headed down river to Cheremisa. Three weeks later he returned to report after a little indignation at the breaking of the original betrothal, Kerzhapa was able to smooth High Chief Varaka's ruffled feathers and reach a new betrothal agreement and maintain the alliance.

2Cxtjw1.jpg

With Sinyava's future set, Kardaz headed to the Lodge to discuss Putyayka's future with Chief Ylle of Saaremaa. But the discusses did not go as he expected.

"We are actually more interested in recruiting your son. Viryay, I believe." Chief Ylle stated.

"My son? He has the makings of a fine warrior, but my daughter is much more enthusiastic about joining the Followers."

"Your son is a proven warrior and has already led men in combat, not just some girl dreaming of becoming a hero. He is also the heir to the High Chiefdom of Merya."

"The heir.. what does that have to do with it?"

"What else, loot. The Followers of Otso can't support our Lodges and training facilities without wealth. Most of our coin comes from our shares from raids on rich locations we scout out. The Followers don't have enough members to carry out these raids on our own. We need members who command enough warriors to succeed on the raids, the Chiefs and High Chiefs of the various Suomenusko tribes. Then we claim our share from the spoils. So we are more inclined to recruit a future High Chief than a single female warrior, no matter how enthusiastic."

"But many of the members are not Chiefs. Surely you can give my daughter consideration for membership."

Chief Ylle smiled," Of course, she will have a chance to prove herself and join us. But first we would like to secure your son's membership, then we can test your daughter."

Kardaz nodded, not happy, but not wanting to anger Chief Ylle by arguing further, " Very well, I will talk to Viryay about joining the Society."

Chief Ylle slapped Karadz on the back, " That is great to hear. Have the boy talk to Hero Ihala and he will set up the initiation duel."

1rUEfzt.jpg

Viryay sought out his sister, Putyayka, to apologize, "I know this is your dream, to join the Followers of Otso and become a Hero. I didn't mean to take your spot. Father says Hero Ylle insisted."

"Don't worry about it, Vir, It is not your fault. Father has said he will speak with Chief Ylle again, once you are initiated. He says they only allow members to have one recruit at a time. So win your duel and clear the way for me."

"Besides," Putyayka said with a grin, "You need the head start and training more than I do. I'll catch up to you soon enough."

Viryay laughed and gave his sister a hug.

So Viryay traveled to the Lodge and won his initiation duel, though he did not emerge unscathed. His right eye was swollen shut for a month. Once he returned, sporting his own Fledgling scarf, Kardaz set out to the Lodge to press Putyayka's case for membership.

F3lwSfs.jpg

Kardaz arrived at the Lodge and was told that Chief Ylle was on a hunting trip and would be back the next day. So Kardaz grabbed a horn of mead and a trencher of food and settled in to wait with the other Warriors gathered in the Lodge.

Several meads later, another Fledgling came crashing over to his table and boasted of his strength and then challenged Kardaz to an arm-wrestling match. Kardaz, fueled by honey-made courage, accepted. The Fledgling was Chief Yapti of Snopa, a Nenets man 10 years younger than Kardaz. The rest of the warriors gathered around, always eager for a contest and began placing bets.

The two men locked arms, Kardaz using his right arm, rather than his left as he did in his now famous match with High Chief Uzhara five years ago. After some initial straining, it was clear the younger man would win. And soon, with heavy thud, he slammed Kardaz's knuckles to the table. He immediately leaped up and resumed his boasting and then began mocking Kardaz's weakness. The crowd began to laugh and jeer with him.

Kardaz, still drunk, began to feel that if he did nothing they would all know of his cowardice. He couldn't let this stand, so he stood up and grabbed a horn of mead from one of the spectators and flung the contents into Yapti's face. "I'll show you who is stronger! Face me in a duel."

mBjBsxS.jpg

The younger man looked shocked for a second, and then, after looking at all the expectant faces around him, he accepted, to the cheers of the crowd. This night keeps getting better the crowd thought. And more wagers were made.

While a space was being cleared for the upcoming duel, fear and adrenaline were clearing some of the alcohol from Kardaz's brain, and he began to think of the predicament he was in. Making the challenge was enough to prove he wasn't a coward, winning or losing didn't matter, Fledglings were expected to lose. That was how they learned. A shield and an axe were thrust in his hands, while Yapti collected a shield and spear.

The two men were herded into the space and the signal given for the fight to begin. The blows were tentative at first and sloppy as the two men circled each other. Kardaz was already sweating from the fear and the alcohol. What he needed to do was get out of here, just lose as quickly and painlessly as possible while putting on a brave face. He caught a strong spear thrust on his shield, but the force of it sent him stumbling back into the surrounding crowd. As some of the laughing spectators shoved him back into the open space, he suddenly had one last clear thought. What am I even doing here? Joining this society was just a bad...

d6RDVAp.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Uncalled for...

• 1Like
Reactions:
:eek:

^ This is seriously all I can say. Not at ALL the ending I would have expected for Kardaz. Totally shocking. Great twist!

Uncalled for...

Kardaz's death was a shock. I chose the duel because I didn't want to take the prestige hit as I was planning to build improvements in Merya. I expected him to lose and get wounded, hoping for a nice scar.

His daughter will be very upset.

Yes, Putyayka is upset, I've already written a scene showing how she feels. Will be in in next update, probably ready later today after I get home from work.

Kardaz was fun, and I will miss him. His successor, Viryay, will take a different more aggressive approach to ruling.

Reactions:
775 - Kardaz’s Wake
775 - Kardaz’s Wake

KyhiPqn.jpg

The people of Merya as well as many Followers of Otso gathered together for Kardaz’s funeral services. Kardaz lay in state on raised platform in the middle of the Merya Tribe's longhouse wrapped in his old bearskin robe. The elders of the tribe remembered Kardaz carrying the wounded Viryas and that very bearskin on his return from the epic hunt that had made him High Chief. Viryas had survived his wounds and had been one Kardaz’s closest friends until his death a few years later due to pneumonia. Kardaz’s son Viryay had been named to honor his old friend.

Chief Vechkas of Torzhok had been chosen to give the eulogy for his old friend at the funeral. He stood up before the crowd and began. “First off, I want to put a stop to the ugly rumors and vicious attacks on Kardaz’s reputation. The idea that he was a womanizer and cheated on his wife is laughable. These rumors seemed to be based on the 12 year gap between children in the family and the speculation that Kardaz was spending that time in other women’s beds rather than with his wife. This is far from the truth. All who knew him can attest to his devotion to his wife, a devotion so strong that he declined to take any concubines, even though as the High Chief, he was entitled to and even expected to have many concubines. So let us quash those ugly lies and move on to talk about the man Kardaz truly was."

"As I said he was a devoted husband and a loving father. He raised 3 fine children who have grown into exception adults, Viryay, our new High Chief who will lead us into the future; Putyayka, a magnificent warrior, who will defend us from our enemies; and the beautiful and charming Sinyava, who’s betrothal has already secured a strong alliance with the people of Cheremisa. Sadly, Kardaz won’t have a chance to raise little Moksha and see him become a man. "

"He has not only been a loving father to his own children, he has been a loving father to all the tribes of the Merya. Ever since that fateful day, when he triumphed in the epic hunt to choose the new High Chief of the Merya, he had cared for and protected us, the People of the Forest, from hunger and war. He ruled well for twenty five years, giving us all peace and prosperity. In all that time, we were only drawn into war twice, both times for the glory of the gods, not for personal glory. And both times, Kardaz found victory over our enemies. "

"So in the years to come, we will endeavor to follow the shining example High Chief Kardaz showed us, under the leadership of our new High Chief, Viryay Kardazid, and with the support of the other Chiefs of the Merya, myself, Chief Shkay of Bezichy and of course, in time, young Moksha Kardazid, the Chief of Borovichi.”

XuZPzpM.jpg

The crowd cheered the beautiful speech, and then they all gathered together and shared a last feast with High Chief Kardaz as he lay in state among them. Nyalku Ngayid, one of Kardaz's friends in the Followers of Otso, made it a point to stop by and offer his condolences to his friend's wife, Tundava, and his children as well as offer his hand friendship to the new High Chief. He also promised to help mentor Viryay in the Followers of Otso. Viryay gladly took him up on both offers.

ajPiuXh.jpg

The next morning they carried the body of High Chief Kardaz to its final resting place in the graveyard outside the Merya Tribe. The Diviner Kichay made a karsikko-mark for Kardaz on one of the pine trees surrounding the graveyard. This mark would remind everyone of Kardaz and also remind his ghost, if it awoke and wandered from the graveyard, that it was dead and should look for the path to Tuonela, the spirit realm.

…………………………

SJ0Ra56.jpg

Following the funeral, the new High Chief went in search of Putyayka. Viryay found his sister where she always was, in the yard attacking a training dummy with her axe. It took a few seconds to attract her attention, yelling and waving his arms (as he didn’t want to get to close to the swinging axe). She finally turned toward him and he saw her eyes were full of tears.

He came forward and hugged her hard. They stayed that way for a few minutes and then she roughly pushed him away and brushed tears from her eyes. “Did you want something, Vir?”

“Yes, I wanted to let you know …. I am making you my heir. Vechkas and Shkay have agreed that you are the best choice and will back me on this. Moksha is just too young. I’m also making you my designated regent, to rule when I’m away.”

wZjt4jS.jpg

She looked at him, “I never wanted that, I want to just be a warrior and serve the people of Merya.”

Viryay laughed,” And you are and always will be. I’m not going anywhere, but at times like these people need to be reassured that a good plan for the future is in place and they’ll be happy knowing Putyayka Kardazid will be there for them when I am not.

She nodded, “I see that.”

“You are still the Shieldmaiden of Merya and you will be a commander in our armies when any war comes. That is what I truly need from you.”

She smiled, “Thank you, brother.”

“Also, I know father was trying to get you a place in the Followers of Otso. I will talk to the Heroes about you joining, they would be fools to not take a warrior like you.”

Putyayka’s eyes grew cold, “No brother, it was those bastards and their foolish games that got our father killed. I will serve you and the people of Merya, not some foreigners who think of only the Gods and personal glory.”

Viryay started to protest, ”Now wait a minute, the Followers of Otso are protecting all of the peoples of the forests, we Meryans as well as the other Mordvin tribes, and the Finns, the Nenets, the Sami, all the tribes, by training warriors and Heroes that will protect them from those who follow different gods.”

Putyayka sighed, “I don’t doubt the noble purpose of the society, Viryay. But remember, the members in it are still just men, not demi-gods. And they play dangerous games while they wait for their next noble task. I’m just saying I want no part of those games and you should be careful. I don’t want one of those games killing you, too.”

Viryay replied, “I understand. I’ll be careful.”

Then he smiled sheepishly, “And I’m sure I, and all the people of Merya , will sleep better knowing you are dedicating yourself completely to protecting us.”

She laughed, “You’re an idiot, and you’ll be careful around everything… except women.” and with a powerful shove, sent him sprawling to the ground.

Viryay scrambled up, laughing, “Hey now, that is no way to treat your High Chief.”

In the days that followed, Viryay made few changes as he took on the tasks of High Chief with his new wife, High Chieftess Ordava, at his side. The council remained unchanged following the succession, except for Ordava replacing Kichay as Diviner of Merya. Putyayka also began to regularly attend Council meeting as an observer and unofficial advisor. Her presence was accepted by the Council due to the many roles she filled that made it advisable for her to be kept up to date on current affairs, being the heir, designated regent and Marshal Vechkas’ second in command.

The first thing the Council addressed was making the final arrangements for Sinyava's upcoming marriage. Nuyat Cheremisid was coming of age after the new year. So Sinyava, who had been feeling poorly of late, would travel south by boat to Cheremisa and join her betrothed in his father's court.

HDjdb6c.jpg

With that settled, Viryay reviewed the status of their neighbors with the Council. To the east and southeast were their fellow Mordvins ruling Vologda, Mari, and Murom, as well as Cheremisa, their ally, and Mordva further south. Directly south was the growing strength of expansionist Vyatichia, a land ruled by Ilmenian Slavic tribes, but whose eastern lands were still peopled by the subjugated Suomenusko tribes of Meshchera. Vytachia was currently defending against an internal revolt as well as an attack from their neighbor, High Chief Svetozar of Krivichia. To the west of Merya were their recent foe, Ilmenia and the Chief of Ladoga, an Estonian tribe holding lands on the southern shores of both Lake Ladoga and the Gulf of Finland.

To the North was the Finnish High Chiefdom of Veps. They also followed the Suomenusko gods, but they controlled Belo Ozero which traditionally belong to the Merya. And of course, Merya controlled the Bezichy and Torzhok lands, which were traditionally part of Veps. So there was tension between the two tribes beyond their cultural differences. In fact, Viryay was very interested in regaining Belo Ozero and strengthening the Meryan control of trade along the Volga River.

VKmQgZe.jpg

They also discussed rumors of a great Slavic victory far to the south. The Slavic King Vojislav of Serbia had supplanted the ancient Avar dynasty in the Carpathian mountains. This victory would be sure to give the local Slavic tribes renewed confidence and ambitions of their own.

5cOvuHw.jpg

The Suomenusko faith needed some inspiration of their own. Merya's recent conquest of Borovichi had been the only notable victory for the faith in recent years. So as a first step, the High Chieftess Ordava was tasked to bringing the faith to the Slavic peasants in Borovichi. But more importantly, there was an opportunity to strike another blow against the Slavs.

High Chief Rodislav of Ilmenia was dealing with a peasant revolt in Novgorod. With the death of Kardaz, the peace treaty with Ilmenia was now void and Viryay was free to launch a war of conquest for Kholm and finish driving the cannibal Ilmenians west of the Lovat and Volkhov Rivers. So plans were made to march on Kholm immediately.

eEt8t1u.jpg

Viryay sent out a call to arms to all his vassals. Chiefs Vechkas and Shkay promptly accepted, but Moksha's regent, a lowborn man also named Kardaz, refused to join the war with any warriors from Borovichi. He claimed he would need his warriors at home in case the Slavic peasants (and a couple of Moksha's Ilmenian Councilors) decided to rise up and join their old liege. He also said Ordava's initial attempts to convert the population had stirred further unrest.

Jp4ZiIB.jpg

Just as Viryay was leaving the Merya Tribe to join his army, Ordava informed him she was with child. With a buoyant step, the young High Chief headed off to war.

lqcIKEf.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
A very dignified ceremony for a great man, and Viryay starts off quite promising.

Reactions:
I do believe that duel had an ending he had not anticipated.

Glad to see his heir is not showing signs of being overly disheartened.

Reactions:
Be aware of the Slavs!

Yep, they are the immediate threat and have already swallowed up Merya's neighbor to the south.

A very dignified ceremony for a great man, and Viryay starts off quite promising.

Kardaxz succeeded in his main goal, no one found out how much of a coward he was, and gave him a hero's funeral. Viryayready to jump right in.

I do believe that duel had an ending he had not anticipated.

Glad to see his heir is not showing signs of being overly disheartened.

Kardaz expected a beat down, not a spear in the head, so was a bit of a shock. Viryay wants to live up to the image his father created.

Reactions:
776 - Conquest, Obsession, Raiding, and Heartbreak

The war started with the Ilmenian army laying siege to Bororvichi as the Meryan army was still mustering in Torzhok. Regent Kardaz may have been right to keep his warriors home to defend Borovichi.

While the rest of the Meryan warriors continued to make their way to Torzhok. Chief Vechkas took the opportunity to introduce Viryay to his new born son and heir, Tylmache Torzhokid, and congratulate Viryay on his own upcoming fatherhood. Tylmache and his mother Eluyvia were recovering from the birth and the forty-year old Marshal was overjoyed to finally have a child, and even prouder to know he would be raised as a noble Chief 's son, despite his father's lowborn origins. Viryay was happy for his former guardian and a little nervous about being a father soon to his own child.

IoieqQ0.jpg

In early spring, with the snow still melting, the Meryan army had all gathered in Torzhok and headed north to relieve Borovichi. They arrived to find Borovichi still held by Chief Moksha and fell upon the Ilmenian siege camp. The Ilmenians were driven off with heavy losses and Viryay checks on his little brother and congratulates Regent Kardaz on his staunch defense of the tribe.

gUXs7BY.jpg

95QIxJ3.jpg

However, he is not happy to find two of his brother's councilors, his steward and his spymaster, are both Ilmenian as well as Slavic. Regent Kardaz insists they must stay on the council to appease the locals who they represent. Without these voices on Moksha's council, the peasants would be more likely to revolt. Also, the fact they were not Meryan helps them carry out their duties, collecting taxes from the native population and discovering plots. Viryay agrees not to interfere, but he makes arrangements for Putyayka to become their brother's guardian when his formal training begins.

Disturbing news comes from the south, the Slavic High Chief Svetozar of Krivichia has completed his subjugation of the Vyatichia. His brutality in that war to both his fellow Ilmenians as well as the Meshchera peoples in eastern Vyatichi earned him the nickname 'the Evil' ever after. Krivichia now stretches from Cheremisa in the east to Lithuania in the west, running along Merya's entire southern border. The High Chief alone could raise 2,000 warriors, plus whatever men his nine vassal Chiefs might provide if called to arms. Krivichia may now be the greatest threat Merya faces.

l4ufCzn.jpg

Meanwhile the Steward Paksyut's recruitment efforts had paid off, and 300 volunteers were now marching west from Merya to join the main army. Viryay sends messengers instructing the new recruits to meet the main army in Kholm, as he marches from Borovichi.

duKWzyt.jpg

By mid summer, things were looking very bad for the Ilmenians. Rodislav had already been forced to surrender his capitol, Novgorod, to the peasant revolt and relocate his family south to Rusa. And Kholm had fallen to the Meryans, who were now also heading to Rusa. His vassal, the Chief of Gdov was still supporting him, but Gdov only had a hundred and fifty men, not enough to stop the 1,800 Meryans. So Viryay and his men were able to set up their siege camp at Rusa unopposed.

4ipkfgr.jpg

It was there, on the first day of the siege, Viryay first saw Kunegunda, the High Chieftess of Ilmenia. Viryay had walked to the gates of village under a flag of truce as soon as he had arrived to offer the Ilmenians a chance to surrender and avoid any bloodshed or the sacking of their town. A strong, healthy young woman had appeared above the gate of Rusa and had spurned Viryay's call for surrender in clear, if strangely accented voice. Viryay was instantly smitten with this woman and began to obsess over her.

lRVjWil.jpg

It wasn't until Rusa fell a month later that he finally learned her name, and that she was the wife of Rodislav and mother to his son and heir, Putiata Slovensky, the only child the eunuch would ever have. He had searched for her frantically amongst the prisoners during the sack of Rusa, but she had managed to escape with her son during the chaos, fleeing west to Gdov.

WCWToin.jpg

With the fall of Rusa, Rodislav sued for peace and surrendered Kholm to Viryay. A new truce was signed, guaranteeing peace for 10 years. But Viryay was still obsessed with Kunegunda, railing that such a woman was wasted on half a man. His army had retreated to Kholm during the peace negotiations. When the peace was signed, his vassals Vechkas and Shkay led their men home, but Viryay had not yet disbanded his own warriors. Viryay waited for his vassals to leave, especially Vechkas, as he knew he would not approve of what Viryay had planned.

P3cHxla.jpg

In an act that most considered dishonorable, including many of his own councilors, Viryay ordered his men back across the river to raid Rusa as soon as he learned that Kunegunda had come out of hiding and returned to Rusa with her son. Privately, Putyayka tried to dissuade him, telling him to forget about the woman, but Viryay was adamant, so reluctantly Putyayka agreed to lead the raid in order to make it as quick and surgical as it could be. The remnants of the Ilmenian army tried to stop them, but they were vastly outnumbered and demoralized and soon scattered. Rusa had not recovered from the earlier siege and sack, so the Meryan raiders easily overwhelmed the defenses in an immediate assault. Viryay's men seized his prize, High Chieftess Kunegunda, and the Meryans slipped away. Viryay claimed Kunegunda as his concubine and returned home to Merya, leaving behind a new rival, High Chief Rodislav, who vowed vengeance for the humiliation and defeats Viryay had heaped upon him.

sXvMASG.jpg

knnBmV2.jpg

So Viryay arrived in the Merya Tribe with a new concubine, who hated him for taking her from her son, to find an unhappy wife with a newborn son of her own, named Kubrat. He also returned to heartbreaking news from Cheremisa. His little sister, Sinyava, had died from cancer just a few months after her wedding to Nuyat Cheremisid at the age of just 19. Nuyat and High Chief Varaka had sent their condolences and assured Vinyay that everything had been done to make her last days peaceful and she was now with the Gods. But they had further bad news, the alliance between Merya and High Chief Varaka of Cheremisa had died with her.

GWfGmTi.jpg
3fYa3Gz.jpg

Meanwhile, Putyayka and the Viryay's personal levys had stayed in the field, moving north based on some information provided to Viryay by High Chief Aimo of Veps, a Hero in the Followers of Otso. He claimed that the Estonian Chief Ahti of Ladoga had a large cache of treasure.

D3nZSc4.jpg
GB2Bax6.jpg

The Meryans bypassed Novgorod, where the new peasant chieftain, Chief Stanislav Lukisky, still had over a thousand warriors under arms. Then they crossed the Volkhov River and began to raid the Ladoga tribe. The Ladoga soon fell and the rumors proved true, Putyayka and her men recovered a sizable trove. Following the raid on Ladoga, the Followers of Otso were quick to claim their share of the loot and the Meryan army was disbanded, the tribesmen returning home. Putyayka finally had time to grieve for Sinyava.

t0QkVSF.jpg

6UNeQgl.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Proving more successful in the Lodge at least.

Reactions: