• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

C.V. Mannerheim

Deus Vult
81 Badges
Sep 2, 2002
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
The Pax Americana
The American Rise to Superpower

AmLionintro.jpg

Scenario: 1881
Version: Latest Patch
Difficulty: Hard
AI Aggresive Level: Furious

Click HERE for Theme Music for 'Pax Americana' in MP3 Format (html link, )
Might have to wait a few seconds, but the download WILL start :)

"There comes a time in the life of a nation, as in the life of an individual, when it must face great responsibilities(...)Our flag is a proud flag, and it stands for liberty and civilization. Where it has once floated, there must be no return to tyranny or savagery..." -- Theodore Roosevelt October 5, 1898

Last edited:
Prologue: To Build a Navy

Part 1: The Beginning

With the Civil War over, the People of the United States began to fill the vast tracts of land beyond the Mississippi River. As could be expected, wars were fought with the Indians there for control of their former hunting grounds. By 1882 the Indian wars had largely been won, save for the revolt of Pueblo Indians under the command of the War Chieftain Geronimo. When the uprising began in the southern areas of the Arizona Territory the United States army had no units in the area. The 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th cavalry were sent towards the area of the uprising as were the 10th, and13th infantry regiments from Sacramento. The cavalry however did not decide to wait for their friends in the infantry to arrive, so the attack went ahead under the command of the aging General Sheridan of Civil War fame. It did not take long to squash this uprising, and the Cavalry under Sheridan remained in the Arizona Territory.

It was about this time that I, Patrick Davey entered into the Department of the Navy, as part of the committee which would oversee our rearmament and reequipping of the US Fleet. As it was currently, the United States navy was made up of Civil War relics, we did not even possess any of the new Ironclads which were beginning to make a larger part of the European fleets. At about the time Sheridan was massacring the Pueblo uprising, we ordered the building and commissioning of Two New Battleships for the United States Navy. In addition to this, two modern cruisers were ordered to be built. Although only four ships in total, these would become the core of the future United States Fleet. The first of these Great Ships, the USS Maine was launched on December 23rd 1883. This was a great achievement, as it was the first ship of its kind on earth. The British Fleet at the time possessed only advanced Ironclads, and began their race to catch up.

USSOnondaga.jpg

The USS Onondaga, one of the Fleet's decaying Monitor type Warships​

You’re probably wondering a little about who I am. My Name is Patrick Davey, born in Ft. Wayne Indiana in 1848. I entered the Navy when I was 14, that is, during the civil war in 1862. I was there on board Admiral Farragut’s Flagship during the assault on Mobile Bay in 1864 when he shouted his famous line, “Damn the Torpedoes! Full Speed ahead!” After the Civil War ended, I stayed in the navy, and gradually worked my way up to being a Lieutenant. I became a captain onboard the Frigate Ossippee, an old Wooden relic that predated the civil war. It was a tedious job, and a job that helped me realize just what dire straits our Navy was in. I was enthralled when I was selected to the committee of Naval Armament, as I saw it as my chance to help improve my beloved fleet.

In 1885 we were relieved to find out that our armament program would be permitted to continue when the Republican party retained control of the government. The next several years passed quietly, however there began to be hints of what was to come.. Japan began to make several motions to the US government to buy Wake Island Atoll. Japan had spent the last several years establishing bases in numerous Pacific Islands. It became evident to us then that it would not take long before the interests of our two nations would bring us into conflict. Upon our requests, the foreign secretary of President Cleveland established a treaty with the British Empire granting vessels of the United States Navy safe passage into and out of their ports. With this move, we began to draw up plans for the formation of the United States Pacific/ Asiatic Fleet. Soon after this accord was drawn up, President Cleveland’s foreign secretary hammered out a deal with the British Empire for the Purchase of the Bahamas Islands. Which were purchased from the crown on July 27th, 1887, for 137,200 British Pounds. This move further strengthened our situation in the Caribbean.

The Caribbean became a flashpoint soon after when a military coup in the Dominican Republic overthrew the Government in Santo Domingo and established a military Dictatorship. Under the cover of the small, yet technologically advanced US Atlantic fleet, Units of the United States Marine corps embarked on a constabulary operation to the Dominican Republic. The small taskforce consisting of the Destroyer USS Albany and the Heavy Cruiser USS New York City arrived off Santo Domingo on September 30th, with the Marines under Colonel Butler landing the next day. Initially welcomed in Santo Domingo proper, the Marines ran into resistance in the outlying country from Irregular troops belonging to the Pro-Dictatorship warlords.

The only large coordinated attack launched by these rebel forces came later in February, when nearly 18,000 Warlord Forces attacked the main body of 3,000 Marines outside Santo Domingo. In a battle lasting two weeks, the Marines defeated the entire body of enemy forces while sustaining only 200 casualties of their own.

Guerrilla Warfare lasted here for several more weeks, and eventually the countryside was declared secure in late February of 1888. Democratic Elections were held soon after in Santo Domingo, and the Dominican Republic became a dependant of the United States.

Last edited:
edited Title Post to include theme music for this AAR

I will read this :)

All hail the return of CVM!! Huzzah!

As with your previous AARs, CVM, this one is set to be a good one! I was pleasantly surprised with the purchase of the Bahamas, nice move. Can't wait see what pans out next. :cool:

Looks like a good start. I was also pleasantly surprised by the Bahamas purchase. I'm in!

Yep - a great start to this. I look forward to where you take it. I know I'll be along for the ride!

thanks guys, its good to have you all aboard.

Is everyone having trouble with the music? or can some of you get it?

Haven't seen a USA AAR in a while, but it seems it was worth the wait. Keep it up!

A most interesting beginning, especially considering the real state of the US Navy of the period. The admirals turned their backs on steam (coal was too expensive and too filthy), returning to full sail power. One example was the USS Vandalia, a fully-rigged wooden ship with watertight compartments, electric lights and rifled guns! She was lost in the Samoa Hurricane - her engines were too weak to keep her from being blown ashore.

The great ships of the Civil War were broken up (Dictator, Miantonomah) or sold (Dunderburg) and the huge technical lead over other countries was lost. One curious result was the 'rebuilding; of numerous ships into completely different vessels. As Congress would pay for repair but not new construction, most vessels were allowed to rot so the repair money could be pooled and spent on a few ships. These were literally dismantled and rebuilt according to completely different (and modern) plans with a few scraps incorporated so they could say it was the 'same' ship. Politics is so crazy!

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, speaking to an American, 'You say you have no curiosities and no ruins? But you have your language and your navy!'

Possession of Dominica would make the sugar magnates very happy. So what's next - Mexico, perhaps? Or making South America safe for United Fruit?

Whichever way you decide to turn, it looks to be an interesting setup.

Prologue: To Build a Navy (Cont'd)

Part II: The Arms Race Begins

In February 1889, President Cleveland, following our request, authorized his foreign secretary to work out a deal with the British Empire for the purchase of Bermuda Island in the Atlantic. Within several weeks, a deal was struck with The Queen’s foreign Secretary, and Bermuda Island was purchased by the United States for a sum of 14,200 British Pounds. Bermuda then became the Unites States Navy’s forward base in the Atlantic. Soon after the acquisition, a the Cruiser USS Albany was dispatched to the island to provide defense, and the construction of several new ships was ordered. Although numerically the US Fleet was only 4th Largest in the world, it possessed the most modern Battleships (with four). The only other nation possessing anything like it was France. The British had begun production of several cruisers, looking to produce faster ships to control the shipping lanes of their Empire.

USFLEET1.jpg

The Battleships of the Fledgling US Atlantic Fleet during exercises in the Caribbean

The year of 1890 saw was to be a critical year in foreign policy. Early in the year the Ottoman Empire and French Empire conspired against tiny Greece and went to war with said nation. The French seized the Greek Islands in the Adriatic-Mediterranean area while the Ottomans pushed their border with Greece further south and west. The Harrison administration openly supported the Greeks in their struggle, donating large sums of money to the Hellenic Cause. This caused a strong anti-American sentiment to grow on the streets of the Ottoman Empire, reports soon began to indicate that Sheiks and Clerics within the Empire’s Mosque’s had begun preaching violence against Americans.

Russia also began a campaign into Korea that same year, pushing the Koreans southward across their rugged landscape, and bringing the Tsar into inevitable conflict with the Japanese Emperor. The Russian advanced stopped, and all the lands north of the 39th parallel were annexed by the Russian Empire.

As to counter these events, we became more determined to build our navy. In September 1892, Russia and Austria went to war with the Ottoman Empire in defense of their mutual ally Bulgaria. Several days later, Germany joined the war on the side of the Ottoman Empire, and the Great Balkan War began. Within a year, the Austrian Ally Denmark was forced out of the war by Germany, ceding all of their lands save the areas around Copenhagen, Iceland, and Greenland to the Kaiser. A year later the war ended, with the Austrian Empire ceding several thousand square miles of Balkan land to the Ottomans.

While this war raged in Europe, we received reports here in the Naval Office that the Japanese had finished construction on six new battleships, thereby matching our numbers in that class of ship. Several weeks later we received reports of new launchings. Three more battleships were ordered to be constructed.

Sounds like there will plenty to do once all those beautiful ships are ready to go. ;)

Thanks for the initial support here guys, i hope youll stay with me on this one.

Also, ive worked it out, in addition to the audio i will try to include in this AAR, there will also be VIDEO. (Starting in Chapter 1)

C.V. Mannerheim said:
Thanks for the initial support here guys, i hope youll stay with me on this one.

Also, ive worked it out, in addition to the audio i will try to include in this AAR, there will also be VIDEO. (Starting in Chapter 1)

Can we have a screenshot of the Balkans after this war?

hasskugel said:
Can we have a screenshot of the Balkans after this war?

Ask and you shall receive.

Balkans After Austria and the Ottomans make a seperate peace during the Second Great Balkan War

Balkans97.gif

Also, has anyone succesfully downloaded the Music linked in the title post?

I need to know if that system works for use during the rest of this AAR

~CvM

C.V. Mannerheim said:
Also, has anyone succesfully downloaded the Music linked in the title post?

I need to know if that system works for use during the rest of this AAR

~CvM

I d/led it fine. You have to wait about 30 seconds to start, it's one of those downloads where you get in line. But I got it ok. Interesting choice. Where's it from?

I ripped it from a history channel documentary