• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Glad to finally see an official thread about this, though curious whg it took so long. Do Shams & Daniel prefer Reddit to their own forums? ;)

Actually, which might lead onto a query directed at Daniel - for marketing how to balance communicating with established customers versus hopefully new customers.

Very good question, and maybe something we can dig deeper into in a coming podcast. In general, we don't necessarily tend to view this as an either/or thing. The assumption (arguably proven through sales and the fact that this forum, our youtube and twitch channels etc are so active) is that the deep, engaged community (=established customers) is part of what makes PDS/PDX games interesting and attractive to newcomers. Our goal is always to convert as many people as possible into active members of our community. This is very much top of mind for the community team in particular.

That said, different marketing beats/assets of course serve different purposes. Announcements are typically designed to reach as broadly as possible (that´s why we do cool cinematic trailers after all), whilst dev diaries, feature breakdowns and similar assets are designed for an audience that is more "in the know".

Hi guys,

I came across the Paradox Podcast accidentally while watching other Paradox content on YouTube and it quickly became one of my favorite podcasts.

It is really nice to get an understanding of how the games industry works from people who actually work in the business side of the industry.

It seems like neither of you guys necessarily knew that you would end up in this job when you were first coming out of university. Is that assumption correct? And if so, do you think this is typical of the industry, or do you find a lot of people coming out of business school wanting to work on the publishing side of the games industry? Do you think that your unique path gave you valuable experience that others coming straight out of business school may not have?

Thank you.

Thanks! <3

A lot of people kinda just slipped in by accident. I studied lots of things (cinema, english lit) but ended up focusing on engineering (didn't graduate) before ending up in the games industry somewhat by accident. But the passion and interest in games has always been there for many of us. So semi-accident. Many have ubiquitous degrees that work well in the games industry. But a few 10-20%? have dedicated game development training.

For us specifically and business in particular we end up describing it as being a corporate paladin. It's a multiclass discipline where you're the master of none but know many.

I find it fairly rare that people in business positions actually have MBA's or have studied a lot of business. On one hand the games industry the industry changes so fast so it's hard to teach industry specific business. On the other hand the basics are really lacking.

In E4: Loot Boxes, you discussed loot boxes (obviously) and how you would consider putting them in your games if you could figure out a decent way of doing so. Given the latest controversies, rulings in Belgium/Netherlands, and the statements by gaming regulators across the world to look closer at loot boxes; would you still consider putting loot boxes into your games?

Good question, probably something we could come back to given the way this topic has developed!

Hi guys,

I really enjoyed S3E3 with Jakob Munthe. One thing I found really interesting is Jakob's discussion about how hard it is to keep the moment to moment gameplay in management games exciting. He mentioned that while there is no external threat to the city such as an enemy, the threat to the player must come from the market like in Cities or other sources.

This made me remember a forum discussion I had read a few years ago about the death of the RTS genre, and how people could not find good RTS games to play today that reminded them of old classics like Warcraft III or Battle for Middle Earth from our younger years. One person mentioned that the reason why many of us remember those games from our childhood is the city building and management aspects that we spent most of our time enjoying from them, while what others (developers and esports that came from these games) emphasized the competitive aspect and micromanagement, which is what the current existing RTS games emphasize which makes them unappealing to us. Basically people like me played those fantasy games for the management and city building and roleplay aspects, and not the RTS core gameplay.

The connection here is your discussion made me realize how much I would love to see a management fantasy game from PDX that really nailed the city building and role playing aspects. I know you can't answer the question of whether that game is/will be made, but do you think this is a type of game that would make sense to add to the management portfolio at PDS?

I have also heard Shams mention the death of RTS games in previous episodes and would love to hear a more detailed discussion about that from you guys some time.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I'd love to delve into the topic of the death of RTS games or genres in general. You wouldn't imagine how much time Jakob and I have spent arguing about external threats/player fantasies in management games :)

I'm actually very curious about how the Vampire numbers compare to classic PDS titles, luckily there's one in pre-release right now; not sure how many of these you can answer:
- how would you compare preorder dynamics between Imperator and Vampire?
- how does Owned and Earned traffic compare between the two, one being a classic IP, the other being a new one?
- how "hardcore" pdx fans are those that convert for Vampire? is it an entirely new audience or are the people that own 5+ pdx products a majority in that group (are those products newer, more accessible titles like Cities, SM and Stellaris or are there the Vic2, Eu2 and HOI3 players as well)?

Great questions. Pre-order dynamics - there is a lot of interesting stuff to talk about there. On Bloodlines 2, we decided to put pre-orders live directly at announcement, which is a bit of a rare move for us as well as for the industry at large. A couple of months down the line, or when the game is actually out, we could perhaps dig into learnings and results from that.

As for earned/owned traffic and conversion of core PDX fans, it is a bit early as the game isn't out until next year, but our approach to this is that we will have to invest quite a bit more money into getting the word out about Bloodlines 2 than we typically do for one of our strategy games. Simply because - as you point out - we do not have direct access to the Bloodlines/action-RPG audience in the same sense as we do with (grand) strategy players. That said, Bloodlines is far from a new IP and there is very much an existing audience out there for us to tap into.

Would love to revisit these topics in an upcoming episode.

Not sure if this'll be seen here but I wanted to say thanks for doing this podcast. I've been listening regularly for over and year and I really enjoy it. I only wish you could do it more frequently.

I think we've had a potentially really interesting topic come up recently: the poor release of Imperator. It's pretty clear from public data (generally negative steam reviews, low player numbers, etc) that Imperator has had one of the worst received launches of a major PDX title in years. Paradox's business model has shown it's very capable of building on top of an already successful foundation with continued development but how does Paradox approach a situation like Imperator's launch? How does Paradox reevaluate, take stock of the situation, and build a plan to move forward? How does Paradox go about convincing fans who bought, played, and abandoned the game (and maybe even feel burned by a pre-order) to give it another try over the coming months and years?

While Paradox can clearly make successful games even more successful, it's unclear if Paradox understands how to turn around and build up a middling or poor game. Surviving Mars, for example, released to a pretty mediocre reception and despite the last year of continued development and expansions, recent reviews haven't really improved.

After all, it's easy to talk about how great our successes are and Paradox has definitely had quite the impressive winning streak of successful games in recent years. Examining our failures, however, can be far more enlightening. I understand if Imperator is maybe a touchy subject right now, but I think ignoring it would be a disservice to the stated intent of this podcast and I hope you think that too.

Thanks for listening! Great questions. We most definitely want to dive deep into the Imperator release. We touch on it the latest episode but only very briefly as me and Shams aren't really the right people to talk about it. Our plan is to get either Johan (Imperator game director) or Bevan (Imperator product manager) into the studio for a deeper conversation on lessons learned from the release, but they were both too busy (that tends to be the case when you release a new game..) for us this week.

@omfgBlondie - is Sham's breathing really that bad?

@Shams @danielg0ldberg - I still think you guys underestimate the hassle factor of multiple launchers for people whose time for gaming is at more of a premium. I mean, both of you are wholly encased in the videogame industry. For someone like me, rapidly approaching forty, when I get home and am ready to play a game, anything that makes the decision of what to play harder is a bad thing. The great thing about Steam, from my perpsective, is that almost everything I want to play is there. I do have other launchers downloaded, but I always end up forgetting about them because those launchers only have drips and drabs. Whereas on Steam I will sometimes notice a game in my library and think "Actually, I want to take that game out for another spin". My games on GoG.com, for example, rarely get that visibility.

Context, of course, is everything. I have only ever been a pc gamer, and I am at the age where people generally start to become less adaptable. I imagine someone with greater familiarity of consoles, where exclusivity has been the norm pretty much since inception, might get mystified at anyone having a problem with it.

On the age front - whilst there are certainly gamers older than me, folks around my age and a bit older seem to be the first generation who largely didn't always give up their gaming in their 20s. I think this greying of the gaming audience is going to be one of the great challenges/opportunities for the gaming industry over the next twenty years. Perhaps a topic for another video?

On DLC, whilst listening to this week's episode I had a thought. The first pieces of Paradox DLC were Victoria Revolutions and Crusader Kings: Deuv Vult. Deus Vult in particular, but also Revolutions in its way, very much felt like DLCs aiming to complete games which, for whatever reasons, had development issues. Doomsday and Armageddon, in contrast and in hindsight, feel like they started the second generation of Paradox DLC by deepening and broadening the game. That DLC model continued through to EU3, Vic2, HoI3, and EU Rome. Then with CK2 you got the modular DLC model of the current games, that some people seem to find really objectionable.

And I got to thinking, in regards to some of the reactions to Imperator, that people are forgotten that the case CK2 game isn't a feature complete 7 year old game - it is a game that has an additional 7 years of development funded by the DLCs, beyond what most other games get. The Imperator base game may seem empty to some - but is it really so different from base CK2/HoI4/Stellaris/EU4? Not really.

And I got to thinking further. Most of the industry still uses the second-generation Paradox DLC model, where a game usually gets 1-3 additions sometimes unlocking new areas or new mechanics, but then it is done. There are really only two other parts of the video-game industry where I feel they have a DLC model (for want of another term) at all like the Paradox mode.

The first is the MOBA. If one looks at the Wargamining.net games (World of Tanks/Warships) you get premium products - particuarly premium tanks/ships/items that come directly from the store. In effect, these premium items are DLCs. But you can still play seamlessly with people who don't have that particular piece of DLC. The companies need the money to keep the game open, and in return for doing that people who buy premium stuff get a reward (benefits from "cool stuff" or premium time, etc).

The second are MMOs. Not all MMOs, but in most (again, especially the FTP MMOs) you don't have to buy all the DLCs or stuff. You can buy extra content or extra classes/races when you desire. Unless the content you wish to do is specifically blocked, you can play with someone who may have a different set of DLC that you do. Now depending on the setup of each individual MMO this happens more or less naturally, but the basic outline seems to exist across the genre. Effectively again, the reward for giving the company money to keep the servers open is something cool for the player.

Paradox implicitly makes the same bargain. In return for buying Holy Fury (for example) we agree to keep support up for CK2, and you get these nice new features you entertain those of you who do buy that DLC. But, of course, the vast vast majority of games don't have that ongoing support as a model, apart from MOBAs and MMOs. Therefore it jars people expectations.

I almost wonder therefore if the solution is for Paradox to give out a version of the base game for free, but in that case game be restricted in various ways. In the current day CK2 would be easy - just give the current base game for free. However, for a more recently released game that wouldn't do. Taking the example of Imperator Rome, perhaps if you had it free to play you could only play countries within an initial starting area, and also of only limited government types. So perhaps Republics in Italia, for example. For HoI4 a restricted list of countries, maybe even just 2 or 3 (Germany, UK, USSR, for example). For Stellaris a greatly reduced set of potential civics, and perhaps no traits.

I mean essentially, after the purchase of the base game that is essentially what ends up happening.

But I do wonder if that is partly where alot of the aggro comes from because "single-player" games - which despite a very vocal community PDS games are single-player, as you yourselves note - are essentially not done under this business model. But PDS has proven this essential business model can work for single-player games, with the right kind of games. But when you are still charging full-price for the base game it continues to condition players (especially players with less history with Paradox) into one set of expectations about what they are purchasing that is actually incorrect.

This has gotten very long-winded. I hope it makes sense.

Yes, it does make sense. Very interesting thoughts. I think restricting features in exchange for f2p is a dangerous road though. We are proud of our games as full experiences out of the box (I'd rather compare them to buying a Warhammer starting set than to a f2p mobile game), albeit ones that are regularly updated with new content, much of it developed in response to community feedback.

I do agree that premium/f2p is a sliding scale though, and that our business model - at least theoretically - has more in common with the latter.

Both the podcast and its availability on Spotify will be back before the end of the month. Feel free to roast me when I eventually fail to meet the deadline!

Reactions:

We are back in business with a new episode of the Podcast!
Since we been on a hiatus for a while the episode might not pop up in all Podcast services directly, but we aim to be up and running on our usual platforms very soon!

ENJOY!

Reactions:
Divinating what the game's development and publishing market will look like in a decade? :)

I'll add it to the shortlist! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Reactions:
As both Shams and Daniel who were at the heart of the Podcast have left Paradox, it's over in its current form. We're however discussing and working on potential new formats, but it would most likely be a different focus ;)