• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Should I form Italy, or stay as the Pope?

• Stay as the Pope

Votes: 35 60,3%
  • Forza Italia!

Votes: 23 39,7%

• Total voters
The Papal States should be interesting.

Sweden :D

Alright, seeing as there is no more voting I will begin my game with.... :drumroll: :D .... The Papal State.

Expect an update by tonight.

The Papal State:A Mission AAR
Part I​

Mission1Ferrara.jpg

Well, Lets not waste time. As there is only one way for the unmarriable pope to obtain Ferrara, we begi...What's this!

CrusadeGoldenHorde.jpg

I hate it when other people control me :mad:

As I was saying we begin by declaring war on Ferrara. Our Ally Austria :eek: , yes and they even offered too, honors the Alliance. As Ferrara is part of the Holy Roman Empire, Bohemia joins on Ferrara's side.

While Austria fights with Bohemia in the north, I march my 5,000 men from Romagna to Modena, where the main body of the Ferrarese (sp?) army is.

After a short battle, the pope comes out victorious. I split my forces to follow the retreating forces of Ferrara to their capital, and win another victory. The Ferrarans have nowhere to go, so they go to my home province of Romagna.

They take the city with a little over 1000 men after half a day of being there....

(Seriously, how does the AI do that)

and then....

WarFERBran-excom-boh.jpg

Well, I won't complain about this one.

I take Modena...

MODENASIEGE.jpg

and then Ferrara...

FERRARASIEGE.jpg

and ask for peace...

FERPeace.jpg

The fighting continues in the north, to our advantage however...

Bohwarhabhre.jpg

Eventually, Austria gained the province of Sudety.

While waiting for the ten years of being a vassal in order to annex to pass nothing special happens. Bohemia loses the Imperial crown to Cleves.

CLeHRE.jpg

This means we won't have to fight a powerful emperor the next time we declare war in the HRE! Not that Bohemia did much. :p

And the ten years are up. We ask Ferrara to join the Papal State, and they refuse. We build an embassy in Romagna and our relations with Ferrara are up to 200 again. We ask and this time they agree.

feranex.jpg

Which means...

Mission1complete.jpg

Yay, our first mission complete. :cool:

(continued in next post)

Last edited:
The Papal State:A Mission AAR
Part I.V :D

I will show you my next mission as I want advice on how to do it.

mission2.jpg

Seems easy enough, right, hahaha, WRONG

avignonhard.jpg

Here is the current situation with my future enemies...

savlast.jpg

aragonlast.jpg

burgundylast.jpg

and...

avignonlast.jpg

I also reached Gov't level something and can now choose my first NI. Anyone have any ideas as to which NI I should choose. Inflation is at .08 and BB at respectable (can't remember exact value). Oh and I am also allied to Naples (for Now) so I am safe on my southern front.

NI.jpg

To get Avignon, I would suggest getting military access from Provence, building some ships and put some troops in Provence before you declare war, then DoW and march in there. Hopefully you can do this before they ally France. This also might not work if Savoy has access through France or Provence. To deal with Aragon or Burgundy either station some ships around your coasts or trust that you army will be able to beat anything they land in Italy.

As for NI's, I don't know. I haven't gotten IN yet so I don't know what some of those icons are.

Man I really had a good laugh at the comments on the pictures. You could try to wait for one of the alliances to end, or if you don't want to wait you could DoW and hope Austria gets bogged down with Savoy.

A Pope in the New World? That's what the Spanish are for! :D

For military I'd go with Engineers Corps, since you're not going to have a large military for a while and staying in battle is just going to kill more of your men. A quick siege, though, could ruin someone's day.

Thanks all who read, I will probably have an update by tomorrow!

Tuy said:
To get Avignon, I would suggest getting military access from Provence, building some ships and put some troops in Provence before you declare war, then DoW and march in there. Hopefully you can do this before they ally France. This also might not work if Savoy has access through France or Provence. To deal with Aragon or Burgundy either station some ships around your coasts or trust that you army will be able to beat anything they land in Italy.

That's what I was thinking, leave my troops by Avignon, DOW, and invade. And hopefully Austria can deal with Burgundy.

CountArach said:
Man I really had a good laugh at the comments on the pictures. You could try to wait for one of the alliances to end, or if you don't want to wait you could DoW and hope Austria gets bogged down with Savoy.

But I am afraid the alliances wont end, oh well. :(

spl said:
I have no advice, but I really like you are writing this, well done!

Thanks!!! :)

CCL said:
National Drill increases your troop morale by 1.00, an invaluable tool if you want to fight wars.

Or you can expand into the New World with QFTNW.

Yeah, I noticed my troops don't fight very hard. :( National Drill might help.

FYROM said:
A Pope in the New World? That's what the Spanish are for!

For military I'd go with Engineers Corps, since you're not going to have a large military for a while and staying in battle is just going to kill more of your men. A quick siege, though, could ruin someone's day.

A quick siege!!! Just what might help against Avignon's level 3 fort :eek: :)

I think you should attack Avignon as soon as possible - fighting them, if they form alliance with France it will be impossible to finish the mission. Build fleet to keep Aragon and Savoy out of Rome. Good luck !

Tycho said:
I think you should attack Avignon as soon as possible - fighting them, if they form alliance with France it will be impossible to finish the mission. Build fleet to keep Aragon and Savoy out of Rome. Good luck !

Will do. Thanks :)

As for avignon, look at the alliances of savoy.. If their allies aren't very strong or austria can keep them busy, DOW Savoy and hope avignon joins them. For the NI, I would go for military drill, you'll probably gonna need some morale..

You should attack quickly, I agree.

Also, have you considered using loans as a mean to victory? (taking large numbers of loans to fuel a large mercenary army) Bankruptcy may result, but given the odds (assuming Burgundy and/or Aragon gets military acess through France) it may be necessary.