• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Grundius said:
Will you switch to merchant republic now? It better fits Ryukyu's profile, I believe...
Naah, the +1 tolerance from Noble Republic is much more useful for Ryukyu as it increases growth by 1 in all provinces, particularly useful for making colonies grow faster or to actually have any sort of growth in tropical provinces (there isn't a way to remove the tropical disadvantage apart from starting as a nation in a tropical area, is there?).

My net stopped working 5-6 days ago and now I'm in England, so updates won't be expected until at least the 1st of August. Expect some huge advancements in the next updates though ;)

An easy way of telling who CAN'T see Siberia (The region, not the nation) is to check the tiny little national idea indicator in between the left and central panels when you select one of their provinces. If they have QftNW as an idea, then they might, but so long as they don't, they can only see the provinces you could see at the beginning (+ maybe a few of your discoveries from the "Spread of Disc." Events)

mhm whatever a "cliffnote" may be (it's not in my dictionnary)

i mentioned the "easy-thing" because in the begin it says he wants to prove that in 1.3 it's still not hard to begin with a vassalized one-province country... and i meant that it's hard to prove something like this if you play on very easy...

Mygreatlord said:
mhm whatever a "cliffnote" may be (it's not in my dictionnary)

i mentioned the "easy-thing" because in the begin it says he wants to prove that in 1.3 it's still not hard to begin with a vassalized one-province country... and i meant that it's hard to prove something like this if you play on very easy...

Cliffnotes: a must have for a lazy American high schooler like myself to get through boring Literature classes. Basically, if you have to read, say, "My Antonia," you can A) read one chapter each day for three weeks, draining hours of crucial video-game time, and then spend the weekend before the test studying when you could be out getting shloshed, or B) stick the book in your locker for a month, then the day of the test print out the "Cliff Notes: My Antonia" pdf file from the internet, and read the little 5-page summary of the entire book on the bus before you get to school.

As for Very Easy, I never play that way for myself, the thing I hate about EU3 is that the difficulty level is just a nice way of saying cheating- on Easy, you get free bonuses, on hard, the AI gets them. However, Ryuku is playable on Normal difficulty. I have a game, still in its early phases, in a similar situation- Taiwan colonized, canceled vassalization, and expanding into Phillipines. The only difference is that in my game Ming went south instead of north, so now I, beating them to the punch, have a very nice little empire in Indochina

Actually, everyone in the school just does it so much, we've gotten good at faking it. I've gotten B's on tests without reading the book, the SparkNotes, or anything, just by infering answers from the questions.

For essays, you just have to know the teacher: if the teacher stresses drawing insight from the book, use a rational series of observations drawn from the questions in the objective portion of the test.

Playing Paradox games helps too. Once in AP (ie college level) history course I got a 98 on a 5-page essay about the Holy Roman Empire. This is remarkable because I had stopped doing any work for the class when we were covering the Crusades. How did I do this? By playing EU3, or course.

ah kay, now i have an imagination what's an cliffnote, thanks. we know this in germany, too and call it "secondary literature" (if you translate it word for word) . furthermore i know that little countries can easily be played on higher difficulty levels, i for example have an mantua-game on very hard (but i have to admit: that's easier as mantua is NOT vassalized).

whatever, i didnt want to make up any arguement, let's stop talking about the difficulty it doesnt matter so much i guess. :)

excellent aar! and not just because your playing as Ryukyu. It's too bad that you will lose provinces as soon as their fortifications fall, and that you can't change religions. You know, if once you got a large empire you wanted to switch I certainly wouldn't consider it cheating since it would be natural for a large advanced empire not to stay pagan.

theycallmetight said:
it would be natural for a large advanced empire not to stay pagan.

huh? Ever heard of Incas, Aztecs, Huns, Mongols, Macedonians, Egyptians, Babylonians, Hittites, Persians?

Ever heard of the Roman Empire? By the time Rome converted to Christianity it had already seen its peak, and had only occassional reversals of it's failing path. As pagans, though, they conquered and subdued the Mediterranean.

The Mongols didn't convert to other religions until after their empire was fragmented.

The Egyptians ruled the ancient world for centuries, with all but one brief period being pagan. (They had a brief stint as monotheist sun-worshippers)

The Incas had the most advanced architecture the world had ever seen, while worshipping Inti and numerous lesser dieties.

Really, pagan is just a generic term for polytheist. And polytheistic religions do not have adverse affects on societies in real life. They shouldn't have adverse affects in EU3 either, but they do.

(One last note: Hinduinsm is in many ways pagan, with multiple gods for different aspects of life. Some Hindus even consider cows sacred. Yet India has consistently been one of the most advanced regions on the planet, and fostered many large empires)

I guess the reason pagans have adverse effects in EU3 is to simulate the power Europeans had over the world; after all, the focus of the game primarily is in Europe.

In a general sense, paganism isn't just polytheism, it's just a collection of religions or philosophies outside the main three monotheistic religions of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

Egypt didn't have one of the largest empires in the world but it was one of the most prosperous.

And the world's most advanced architecture would belong to Greco-Romans, not the Inca.

chefportnen said:
I guess the reason pagans have adverse effects in EU3 is to simulate the power Europeans had over the world; after all, the focus of the game primarily is in Europe.

That is why it's there, but I think it would be better to make a more realistic technology system rather than simply penalizing nations that did not historically achieve the same technology as Europe.

In a general sense, paganism isn't just polytheism, it's just a collection of religions or philosophies outside the main three monotheistic religions of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

Okay, but my point stays true: paganism is not really one, inferior religion, but a variety of vastly different and perfectly acceptable religions. The word itself was only invented by simple-minded christians in the early dark age because it makes religions contained within the group sound like one big evil enemy of Jesus.

Egypt didn't have one of the largest empires in the world but it was one of the most prosperous.

egyptian_empire_1450_bc.jpg

At the time, this was pretty much as big as nations got.

And the world's most advanced architecture would belong to Greco-Romans, not the Inca.

Last time I checked, Greco-Roman architecture is very rare and has to be protected and renovated constantly to keep it standing. And it is in a geologically inactive (relatively) area of the world, Europe. Inca walls are better at withstanding earthquake than most modern buildings, were built on mountains without pack animals, and are so precisely designed tat it has become the stuff of legend- ask anyone who has been to Peru and they will tell of how the stones fit together so tightly that paper will not fit in between.

Basically, the Incas (and Mayas, but they were not a unified civilization) built buildings that almost matched the Romans in magnitude, and did it in a more difficult environment with simpler tools and made them last for ages. The Mayans, for that matter, did exceed the Romans in magnitude, did it in a rain forest, with few tools other than muscles and chisels, and in stable designs that make pillars look like toothpicks.

will this aar be updated, its really a great aar it would be a shame to discontinue it.

Amob_m_s: I should have been clearer, I didn't mean to say that all large empires were christian. The empires who you mentioned were certainly large and prosperous. What I meant is that for some reason religions like Christianity and Islam have some kind of a natural pull to them which converts people to that religion. Around the time of the hittites and egyptians Christianity didn't exist and so actually no one was christian. In reality, I dont expect for Aardwark to convert to Christianity or Islam since that would be highly unreasonable but convert to Shintoism or Confucianism since that is another religion/philosophy which has some kind of pull to it, Bhuddism would be good choice also as it is another one of those "influential religions"

theycallmetight said:
will this aar be updated, its really a great aar it would be a shame to discontinue it.

Amob_m_s: I should have been clearer, I didn't mean to say that all large empires were christian. The empires who you mentioned were certainly large and prosperous. What I meant is that for some reason religions like Christianity and Islam have some kind of a natural pull to them which converts people to that religion. Around the time of the hittites and egyptians Christianity didn't exist and so actually no one was christian. In reality, I dont expect for Aardwark to convert to Christianity or Islam since that would be highly unreasonable but convert to Shintoism or Confucianism since that is another religion/philosophy which has some kind of pull to it, Bhuddism would be good choice also as it is another one of those "influential religions"

Cool, that clears that up. Really, the one thing I don't like about animism/shamanism being unified religions in EU3 is that they don't have the kind of pull you talk about. I know it's impossible for the devs to make a game with all versions of animism/shamanism represented individually, but basically in this case the Ryuku strain of paganism would have exerted that pull, even though other pagans would not. It would, essentially, become a major religion, but of course is not represented in the game because historically it did not. From an objective standpoint, all Islam was to begin with was an obscure, semi-tribal religion, which is only important because Muhammad was so good at converting people, and Muslim nations conquered so much land. The same goes for Buddhism and Christianity, as well as Roman Pantheism and Greek Pantheism, which were in their time the analogues of today's Christianity and Islam.

theycallmetight said:
It was my intention to update this AAR as soon as I came back from my trip to England this Summer and eventually finish it, unfortunately my grandfather died while I was on holiday, so when I got back I really didn't think much about EU3 and once the Summer holidays were over, I started at gymnasium (Danish equalant to British college), so I haven't been able to play too many games, let alone write about them.
It's a shame though, as I really enjoyed writing this and would have loved to see it to a proper end, but I fear I won't have time to do it for a long while and that it has already been too long ago since I last played the Ryukyu game for me to really be able to do it, I'm sorry that that is the way, especially since it seems my AAR has increased in popularity after I put it on hold, I am glad that it was appreciated...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, one of the times when RL is more important than gaming.

Like many people, I enjoyed your AAR so please come back and write another one when you get the opportunity.

you did a fine job. and yes, it's hard getting back into a game left alone too long.