• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Karasuman said:
I love nations in seemingly hopeless starting conditions, as well as AARs with plenty of pics! Though what gets me is the tagline you've got for your AAR in your sig. Personally, I think EVERYTHING is better than a migraine headache, especially after recently coming out of a five-week-long one.
I'm not too satisfied with the AAR, it didn't start out too well and I should probably have decided on a writing style before I started actually writing, though I think that displaying such a different and inherently weak nation as Ryukyu makes up for it in interest, one would rather read a half-decent AAR about a nation they've never read one of before than another of England, Burgundy, Japan or Castille, at least, that's how I see it.

Arghh... sorry to hear about that mate, I have occasional migraines aswell but thankfully I haven't had one that lasted more than 1½ days yet.

Grundius said:
I could only think of that - it is kinda disappointed you have not found some exploit or something, since I find it kinda strange one cannot convert to another religion as a pagan. There are province events, but why would you ever choose to change the religion of one of your provinces to a different one then your own?

Anyway, you're going to protect your empire the old-fashion way, no reli-switch. Well, good luck :D.
Ohh well, it does make it sort of more exciting playing as a Pagan, knowing that you have a substantial handicap that could mean you were wiped out in a single unlucky war.

Thanks for the luck ;)

Part 13: Prince Sho Nei of Ryukyu

Part 13: Prince Sho Nei of Ryukyu

Another small island between India and Africa was colonized, this one seemed completely uninhabited.

Cape, the tail-end of that mysterious continent. Unlike the rest of Africa, the natives here were the least aggressive we had met thus far.

The 1st of September, 1511, was a day of great change. Ryukyu had already seen a great lean towards it since the days of Sho Taikyu, creating several new noble families and bestowing them considerable power in the country, it was natural progression that Ryukyu turned to a Noble Republic where the families were equal and ruled Ryukyu through a Prince instead of a King.

Our continued exploration of the African lands led us to an amazing and heart warming discovery. Kongo, a nation that while not highly advanced, were of true noble faith, surprisingly similar to that of our lost faith relatives, the Oirat. we started developing our friendly relations with mutual exchange of access into our respective countries and a guarantee on the behalf of Prince Sho Nei of Ryukyu that the lands of Kongo would remain the lands of Kongo.

Our African colonization effort expanded to Little Karoo, an area neighbouring our already established colony of Cape.

Interest in setting up new lives beyond the already established Ryukyu homes suddenly exploded, several new colonist expeditions were set up.

We carefully expanded into the area of Kamchatka, we had long wanted to but the natives' dislike of foreigners had made progress very slow, we would have to grow fast in order to not suddenly be evicted by the natives.

canonized said:
Wow Africa too ? You're definitely growing out there !
Grundius said:
Your empire is becoming truly fantastic. Soon you will stretch from Africa to Siberia!
That it will, or rather, that it does :p
Soarom said:
Poor Korea. Let that be a warning to proud Ryukyu, no small rich country can trust its allies!
Definitely not allies in the East Asian culture group, those nations are about as untrustworthy as they get in Europa Universalis III.

Holy hyper updating Aardwark, I haven't checked in for a few days and you go nuts.

I take it you are just claiming the land and not upgrading to cities or are you doing that in special cases?

BBBD316 said:
Holy hyper updating Aardwark, I haven't checked in for a few days and you go nuts.

I take it you are just claiming the land and not upgrading to cities or are you doing that in special cases?
Well, I've got a kind of loose system figured out for colonizing, every time I upgrade a colony, I have to create a new colony afterwards (if one with +59% chance is available) and if I have a colony that for some reason has minus growth (most likely from tropical climate) then I have to spend my colonists solely on that one until it has positive growth instead.

Also, for cases like Kamchatka where the native aggressiveness is above average, then I also spend all my colonists there until it's full sized ;)

Part 14: An Era of Waiting

Part 14: An Era of Waiting

Apparently Brunei had come under the impression that the already Ryukyu flag poled lands around them for some reason belonged to them... if they became serious with this colonization we would have to teach them a lesson.

Our fast colonization of Kamchatka had worked, we built up a full city so fast that the natives had no choice but to accept that we were they to stay and that they were no longer Inuits but Ryukyuans.

A sad day in Ryukyu history came to pass. Prince Sho Nei -the first Ryukyu Prince and the man responsible for our rediscovery of fellow Pagans- fell dead. His successor, Prince Sho Sen-i Haga was, compared to his predecessors, incompetent... he clearly didn't understand anything of colonization, merchant business enterprises or any of the other things that had made Ryukyu as strong as it was now and which was neccessary for it's continued growth.

The other Noble families took advantage of his ignorance by making him agree to giving all of them (considerably) larger pensions.

By the much needed help of his advisors, he did make one good decision however. They suggested taking a cheap loan only to lend the money again to Kongo making a good profit off our newfound faith relatives aswell as helping them develope.

5th of June, 1525.
Korea was completely assimilated into the realms of Ming. We never were particularly fond of Korea but to be conquered and divided among three giant nations was a terrible fate and that day we felt great sympathy for them.

Two additional Ryukyu dominions were established as the years passed by, those of Penchisky and Gizhiga. We were beginning to gain a nice foothold on the Asian mainland.

Are those territories on the northern coast of Far East Russia Terra Incognita as far as the other East Asians concerned? If so they should be very safe no one else takes much interest in those lands until very late in the game.

That noble pensions event sucks - but not as bad as an EU2 political crisis! (-3 stab, no alternative if you don't know that event)

PrawnStar said:
Are those territories on the northern coast of Far East Russia Terra Incognita as far as the other East Asians concerned? If so they should be very safe no one else takes much interest in those lands until very late in the game.

That noble pensions event sucks - but not as bad as an EU2 political crisis! (-3 stab, no alternative if you don't know that event)
Hmm... I'm not really sure, how do you determine wether something is Terra Incognita for other nations?

Well, you can live with it if it doesn't pop up every 5 years. I unfortunately never played EU2 so can't say I know about that event, though it certainly sounds nasty!

I *think* TI for the other east asians should be the same as TI for you.

Part 15: Rise of the Tauisk Gold Mining Company

Part 15: Rise of the Tauisk Gold Mining Company

The many wars between Bali and it's three Muslim rivals (Sulu, Makassar and Brunei) finally ended in the annexation of Bali, this would mean an increase in power for Brunei (something which wasn't really in Ryukyu's interest) but it also meant one less country competing for our trade, something which quite satisfied us.

Europa, the home of the strange and dangerous foreigners who had occasionally appeared in the waters surrounding our lands. Something told us this was a place best to stay clear of, as the lands of dangerous people would likely be dangerous aswell.

The mining colony of Tauisk had turned into a full fledged city and was doing nicely to accommodate the Ryukyu's ever rising economy.

Riau was soon too follow, though it was only half the size of Tauisk in population and much less in mass, every little bit counted and would bring us closer to our dream of a Ryukyu Empire.

The prospering Boku family who had established the mine industry in Tauisk donated a large sum of gold for the benefit of the national treasury in exchange for written word confirming that the land of Tauisk was theirs and that they were of noble blood.

Ayutthaya's continued profitless wars against the nations of India and the internal disorder that had appeared as a result began to bear consequences. The majority of the lands they had conquered broke loose and Ayutthaya lay in ruins. This was a tragedy, not only for Ayutthaya but also for Ryukyu, the sudden appearence of several new nations meant a ridiculous increase in trade competition, if we didn't take action, our economic foothold on the trade would surely perish.

In a matter of months we had already suffered huge losses in the trading business so our response came in only a few seconds short of too late. The employment of three new merchant advisors would hopefully mean the survival of our foreign business enterprises.

Okhotsk, another Ryukyu dominion was now in existence. Hopefully this would continue without end. Meanwhile our merchants were regaining their foothold in the foreign centres of trade.

Another period of extraordinary colonial interest occured in the Ryukyu heartlands, it was used to expand our already existing Siberian possessions.

The death of the backstabbing ruler of Manchu resulted in a personal union, a royal bond, between Manchu and Ming. Not good, good relations between our biggest rivals in the Southeast was not to our advantage.

Lafayette53 said:
Interesting Nation, but you have to throw back the Ming someday (that unstoppable giant heh, on second thought..)
Some day in the 18th century I'm afraid, if at all.
PrawnStar said:
I *think* TI for the other east asians should be the same as TI for you.
Well, I had to discover the provinces with my explorer, so unless they've been given the knowledge of them due to the passing of time, they shouldn't know about them.

Once you have the economy for it, I trust you'll start building a fleet of 100+ ships, right?

Grundius said:
Once you have the economy for it, I trust you'll start building a fleet of 100+ ships, right?
If I get to that point, then yes. I'm a bit nervous about it though as things are going much slower than with my first game as Ryukyu.
LeifNepstad said:
Amazing job as Ryukyu thus far.
I believe you would have much to gain by annexing Japan.
Thanks, I've done better before though :p

That I would, though I'm not sure when that will be a viable mission to undertake.

Part 16: Two Little Princes Sailed For Taiwan...

Part 16: Two Little Princes Sailed For Taiwan...

Brunei was becoming a bigger and bigger obstacle in the south with each passing day. They inherited the throne of Sulu and it seemed that they had slaughtered natives in their now failed colonies, natives that we would have liked to stay alive and build a city with.

Prince Sho Sen-i Haga accidently fell overboard while sailing to Taiwan to visit some relatives. His replacement, Sho Boku Cai was slightly better suited for the throne.

Kamchatka had now been under Ryukyu rule for several years and the native Kamchatkans had changed their attitude considerably compared to before our arrival, many a brave Kamchatkan was now enlisted in the Ryukyu army. The colony of Jugjur followed the footsteps of Kamchatka and was now proper integrated into the Ryukyu princedom at the same time as it developed into a full city.

Gubbi Gubbi, the first encountered habitable Australian land, was quickly turned to a Ryukyu settlement. The land there itself was not particularly valuable but the natives there were helpful and not easily angered, so developement of the colony would be ricecakes.

Bundjalung followed and was equally untroublesome. Some months earlier, Sulu had broken loose from Brunei and declared war on them, this highly amused Prince Sho Boku Cai.

...his amusement only lasted a couple of years though, as he too suffered an accidental drowning. His replacement Sho On Cai was an utter fool, it was a good thing that the noble families ruled Ryukyu together with the prince, otherwise our future would be truely disastrous.

Udskoye, the last remaining of our current Siberian possessions grew to a city and was properly incorperated into the princedom of Ryukyu. Two new Australian colonies were also established, Paredarerne and Eora.

Our governmental knowledge and capabilities advanced further come the 1st of September, 1544.