• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
rcduggan said:
a Ryukyu AAR? good luck.. you'll need it...
Thanks, though I do have some experience playing Ryukyu, so I'm confident things will go well ;)

Also, it seems the batch of screens following the last update ended up enourmous, this wasn't intentional, and I'll try to fix it as soon I have (sorry, I've still not gotten the hang of this AAR writing or using ImageShack :( )

EDIT: And the size has been decreased...

Last edited:
Nice going.

Why colonise the Kurils when you've found the coastal gold province in Siberia?

PrawnStar said:
Nice going.

Inflation, perhaps? Given his small islands empire so far, the gold mine may weight too much in his economy right now.

Interesting AAR. I manage to lose with Malacca... So Ryukyu is an impressive challenge to me! :eek:

Your island empire is shaping up nicely. I'm still curious about your strategy against others seizing your provinces...

PrawnStar said:
Nice going.

Well, the Kurils have a better colonization chance and since I only get 1.60 Colonists yearly, I lean towards colonizing the easiest provinces first. Though it's not something I put much thought into, I could probably have gone for Tauisk instead :p

Nil-The-Frogg said:
Interesting AAR. I manage to lose with Malacca... So Ryukyu is an impressive challenge to me! :eek:

Strange, I'd have thought Malacca was rather easy considering it has a decent number of provinces and a centre of trade, though of course I'm playing on Very Easy which could have something to do with my perception of it :eek:o

Hope you'll come back for the next update/s :)

Grundius said:
Your island empire is shaping up nicely. I'm still curious about your strategy against others seizing your provinces...

Don't get your hopes up, it's really nothing genius, far from it :p

Now working on the next update...

Part 6: Another Day At the Colonial Office

Part 6: Another Day At the Colonial Office

The now everyday event of a Ming war took place, once again... as usual we would be too far away to make a difference but (also as usual) chose to formally enter it anyway.

8th of March, 1470.
A ship of strange looking men who spoke in yet unheard tongues and wore unusual clothes suddenly appeared off the coast of Makassar and then disappeared just as suddenly.

In June, Ryukyu colonists arrived on the narrow island of Sakhalin, situated opposite the Kurils.

February 1471, we came to pleasing agreement with the Timurid Empire, we would continue to do absolutely nothing in exchange for 75 ducats.

In October, our worst rival in the trading business was no more, this together with the great administrative skills of King En Kanamura would make Ryukyu domination of the South-East Asian trade a piece of ricecake.

The next year, the shattered Oirat declared war on Ming, their High Chief, Lama Dorji II had been struck with madness as he had to come to the realisation of what had happened to his horde. We relunctantly joined the war (only formally, of course)... Maybe one day, when the Ryukyu rivaled the Ming in both size, wealth and power, we would be able to liberate the lands of our old faith relatives and give it back to them.

Our migration to the Philippines continued further as our people established the beginnings of a settlement in the province of Cagayan.

August 1472, Oirat was down to a single province and accepted surrender to the Ming. Ming had also dragged us into a war against Sibir... hopefully they would run out of countries to eat soon so Asia could finally get some peace and quiet.

Aardwark said:
August 1472, Oirat was down to a single province and accepted surrender to the Ming. Ming had also dragged us into a war against Sibir... hopefully they would run out of countries to eat soon so Asia could finally get some peace and quiet.

They will never run out of countries :)

Did being a Ming lackey confine you in any way yet?

Great work, I look forward to you expanding.
Do you think it would be easier to do this with the Magna Mundi so you get the national idea off the bat?

Bad Santa said:
After reading this AAR I tried Ryukyu and my colony in Taiwan was destroyed about 3 times. Annoying!
What difficulty are you playing on? On Very Easy it's usually quite possible to avoid colony damage if you wait until you have about 3-4 colonists to send right after each other.
BBBD316 said:
Great work, I look forward to you expanding.
Do you think it would be easier to do this with the Magna Mundi so you get the national idea off the bat?
I tried a game as Ryukyu in Magna Mundi, I thought that it would be easier too, also because I started during the years when Japan was divided (hoping I would be able to slowly eat each Japanese province), though for me Magna Mundi seemed harder than vanilla... I generally have a hard time in Magna Mundi though, so it could just be that I'm too used to the vanilla EU3 style of play.

Grundius said:
What when Ming turns its greedy eyes towards you?
Ming usually only goes for nations it has borders with, the exception being if it has very bad relations with someone... So as long as I stay on their good side, I'll be pretty much safe.

I think I'm getting a fever, my head has been dizzy all day, so I haven't been able to focus on getting the next updates ready... A bit annoying since my last go at the game took over 10 years, so I've got a lot of new material to put up :(

Last edited:
Part 7: The First Real War

Part 7: The First Real War

Tauisk, our first colony connecting us to the Asian mainland. The natives here were different from any we had encountered so far, their beliefs mirrored those of the Oirat but everything else about them put them apart...

More westerners (they always seemed to come from the west) had begun appearing in our region, their sudden appearences and just as sudden disappearences made us nervous, they certainly didn't seem the friendly type. We made our peace for 50 ducats with Sibir in December, about time as well, as our treasury was running low. Though only three months later we found ourselves at war again, now with the Lan Xang (backed by the Dai Viet and Ayutthaya), this was a war much closer to us and we could see some possible benefits of participating in this one.

Ming quickly made short work of the Lan Xang but their larger allies were still there to be dealt with.

Our army was landing an invasion of the tiny island of Riau, since it was completely unprotected we were easily able to take it... and, because Riau was a colony, we were able to immidiately grab it out of the hands of Ayutthaya!

The diminutive Ayutthaya fleet was sent back to the hands from which it was pushed. Also, shortly after Ming made peace with Dai Viet (which stopped the war altogether)

We landed a group of colonists later that year, unfortunately this colony had no natives, so it would be many years before the population would grow to a decent size. Come December, Korea declared war on Japan, Ming later asked for our aid in the defensive war against Nogai, we entered the war formally... we would gain nothing from this war as Ming made peace a few months after.

Part 8: The Last Pagan In Asia

Part 8: The Last Pagan In Asia

Sho Ho I was almost as skillful as En Kanamura, and in the exact same fields. Hopefully the Ryukyu line of rulers would continue on this route of god given gifts of administation.

Yet another colony was established in July 1476. Soon every unclaimed island, every patch of land that wasn't already in the hands of another would be a colony of Ryukyu.

In August we had discovered every inch of the island of Java, hopefully this would soon be part of our Kingdom.

A few months earlier, Sulu had declared war on Bali. Since we had been warning Sulu (and renewing each warning when the old one expired), this gave us the opportunity to do the same to Sulu, without any drawbacks.

The Oirat declared war on Ming for what would inevitably be the last time. Sulu gave us quick satisfaction in the form of a 50 ducats for a minimal effort, now we just had Atjeh and Brunei to worry (actually, worry isn't quite the right word) about.

Atjeh made a weak attempt at taking Riau from our hands, they were soon vanquished.

28th of August, 1477 and the Oirat was no more. We were now the last civilized Pagans left in the whole of Asia, a discomforting thought.

You are all alone now...but growing at a good rate. I'm looking forward to Ryukyu owning all of the Islands in East Asia, and fighting its way to Europe through Siberia!

Grundius said:
You are all alone now...but growing at a good rate. I'm looking forward to Ryukyu owning all of the Islands in East Asia, and fighting its way to Europe through Siberia!
You just stay tuned Grundius ;)
Bad Santa said:
Do you plan on fighting Ming later on?
Possibly, though only if I'm 100% certain that I outmatch them in power, it won't be before at least a hundred or more years in any case.

Part 9: Colonies, Colonies, Colonies, Ming Wars and Colonies

Part 9: Colonies, Colonies, Colonies, Ming Wars and Colonies

Atjeh bit the dust in October, donating an acceptable contribution to the Ryukyu national treasury. In other news, we had repaid our loan and were at war with Kazakh because of Ming.

Brunei was to be the next sponsor for the Ryukyu Colonization Effort, in only 2 days beyond a week the war was over.

A new centre of trade, Bihar, had appeared to us and was even wealthier than Jiangsu. Hopefully we would soon get a good grip on this one.

Okhotsk was added to the list of Ryukyuan colonies. Earlier that month, Ming dragged us into war with Sibir... it resulted in the usual: A few months of wait and a gift of ducats, another Ming war followed with Nogai resulting in the same.

1st of July, 1381, Samtoy had developed into a full fledged province with the help of the local Philippines, focus was then directed towards making the same out of the neighbouring area of Cagayan.

Taiwan had now been recognised as a part of Ryukyu as Ryukyuan as Okinawa and the Taiwanese were thought of as just as Ryukyuan as anyone else in the heart of the nation. Additional colonies were established in Udskoye and the island of Ternate.

More trade and colonies - those peace deals look a good trick, very lucrative!

I have to ask - what speed are you playing at? :)