• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Indeed ! It'll probably be a while before true security is attained .

Aardwark said:
I tried a game as Ryukyu in Magna Mundi, I thought that it would be easier too, also because I started during the years when Japan was divided (hoping I would be able to slowly eat each Japanese province), though for me Magna Mundi seemed harder than vanilla... I generally have a hard time in Magna Mundi though, so it could just be that I'm too used to the vanilla EU3 style of play.
I've tried Brunei with Magna Mundi. Yes, you start with a NI, but switching to QOFTN has a major drawback if it is your lone NI. There is an event that raises your research costs by 50% for decades.

As you can guess, my first idea as been to switch to QOFTN, recruit an explorer and switch back to another NI before the nasty event triggers. Problem was that changing NI costs 3 in stability and that you can't change one if your stab isn't positive... So, you can't avoid the event (which fires at the turn of next month or so).

But I've used a gamey trick to get around this, though. I've been gifted with a 6 stars government advisor to begin with and was hoping for a very special event triggered by high ranked advisors, which gives you +3 stab. So, I piled up money and colonists as much as possible. The +3 stab event fired in 1461. I did not click on it, switched to QOFTN (stab 0), recruited two explorers, clicked on the event (stab +3) and switched to National Bank (stab 0). No nasty event! :) Oh, but I should have taken something else, because my expansion is incredibly slow (0.6 colonists a year isn't much, plus I play on normal and end up with destroyed colonies).

As to Malacca, I've tried it two times and was crushed by a pan South-Asian alliance (Ayutaya, Khmers and a few others) both times.

Way to go with Ryukyu! Allying with the Ming is obviously lucrative.

You would think that eventually one of these fledgling Asian nations would realize that none of their former contemporaries had gained anything by paying off Ryukyu. Oh well, so long as no one figures out you basically have an ATM in the Ming war machine.

PrawnStar said:
More trade and colonies - those peace deals look a good trick, very lucrative!

I have to ask - what speed are you playing at? :)
Fastest, only speed there is in my world of EU3 :p

Soarom said:
Your island nation is shaping nicely! Your situation still seems delicate though.
Naah, the AI is generally horrible with attacking islands, the worst case scenario is losing my alliance with Ming, they declaring war on me and grabbing my unguarded colonies... nothing too frightening really :)

canonized said:
Indeed ! It'll probably be a while before true security is attained.
Not too long actually, as you'll see in one of the next couple of updates.

Nil-The-Frogg said:
I've tried Brunei with Magna Mundi. Yes, you start with a NI, but switching to QOFTN has a major drawback if it is your lone NI. There is an event that raises your research costs by 50% for decades.

As you can guess, my first idea as been to switch to QOFTN, recruit an explorer and switch back to another NI before the nasty event triggers. Problem was that changing NI costs 3 in stability and that you can't change one if your stab isn't positive... So, you can't avoid the event (which fires at the turn of next month or so).

But I've used a gamey trick to get around this, though. I've been gifted with a 6 stars government advisor to begin with and was hoping for a very special event triggered by high ranked advisors, which gives you +3 stab. So, I piled up money and colonists as much as possible. The +3 stab event fired in 1461. I did not click on it, switched to QOFTN (stab 0), recruited two explorers, clicked on the event (stab +3) and switched to National Bank (stab 0). No nasty event! Oh, but I should have taken something else, because my expansion is incredibly slow (0.6 colonists a year isn't much, plus I play on normal and end up with destroyed colonies).

As to Malacca, I've tried it two times and was crushed by a pan South-Asian alliance (Ayutaya, Khmers and a few others) both times.

Way to go with Ryukyu! Allying with the Ming is obviously lucrative.
I've actually only played Magna Mundi a few times since I downloaded it, I'm of the opinion that things are a bit too slow in it compared to vanilla, though the historical flavour in it seems nice and certainly something I miss a bit when playing vanilla EU3.

Allying with Ming is both good and bad, mostly good but still bad to such an extent that it can get annoying, for example when you're supporting them in wars almost 10 years straight... that does little good for your war exhaustion.

ZachMayo said:
You would think that eventually one of these fledgling Asian nations would realize that none of their former contemporaries had gained anything by paying off Ryukyu. Oh well, so long as no one figures out you basically have an ATM in the Ming war machine.
AI is as AI does, ZachMayo :p

Gigalocus said:
can't wait to see an annex of ming! good job
I'll try to see what I can do to bring it about ;)

Last edited:
With a start date in July are you sure you're eligible for the Q2 awards?

Part 10: Expansion In the Philippines

Part 10: Expansion In the Philippines

After a couple of failed attempts to establish a colony on Halmahera (due to the extreme climate of the island), one finally was made on th 26th of May, 1487.

Our exploration of the lands beyond India were starting to take off and were made easier with the grant of access to the ports of Rajputana, an ideal place for the Owl-of-the-Ocean to repair and refill with supplies.

Our business practises were becoming more and more advanced, hopefully this would mean more merchant's gold in the Ryukyu national treasury.

Samtoy was now, just as Taiwan, considered one of the Ryukyu prime dominions.

The end result of the latest Korean-Japanese war saw the loss of two Korean provinces to Japan, seeing our heretic big brother strengthen was something we would have rather been without.

The latest Ming War proved to be quite beneficial to our financial situation, those Timurids sure knew how to pay a good tribute to their superiors.

Our technological developements in the fields of production and land defense were the two big leaps forward we had been waiting for, the construction of workshops would boost the already shining Ryukyu economy and the installment of fortifications would prevent the more spineless nations from stealing our land in wars.

The number of Ryukyu-Philippine provinces doubled to 2 the 1st of October, 1493.

Grundius said:
I suggest you start building forts in your colonial cities..you have LT1 right?
That's correct yes, just reached Land Tech 1 :)
Soarom said:
Nice update. I miss however an economic review and a nice big map of Ryukyu :p
Bad Santa said:
Yeh can you show us a map of everything you own.

As by request. Couldn't have them all fit into one map... you really should be able to zoom all the way out in EU3.

An economic review? As in a shot of my income in the ledger?

Part 11: Rise of Natives!

Part 11: Rise of Natives!

Makassar had declared war on Bali and we were low on gold...

It seemed to be going fine as usual, Sulu bit the dust in a matter of days.

...though it seemed we had underestimated the strength of Makassar, it would take much longer to get a peace deal out of them than we had anticipated.

24th of September 1495, a man who by the name of Nei (who was the headmerchant of the Bihar trade businesses) offered to help out Sho Ho I, the king of Ryukyu, by offering a large sum of money in return for lordship over Cagayan and Sho Ho I's daughter's hand in marriage. Since Nei was so willing to help his homeland when it was in need and because of what he had already contributed by his merchant enterprises in India, Sho Ho I gladly accepted Nei's proposal.

Sho Ho I finally managed to squeeze the pride out of Makassar, though it had taken almost a year to get this far.

Sho Ho I was gravely wounded in a battle versus the king of Brunei, he died shortly after and the name of the new king was Sho Nei I, due to being the husband of a sonless man's eldest daughter. He seemed more than capable of the position though.

The old domain of the new king was now considered to be Ryukyu prime lands, as the neighbouring area of Samtoy.

At long last Brunei bowed down, after the death of their king and the break out of disorder throughout their kingdom...

The Kurils developed into a full fledged province and was considered Ryukyu proper on the very same day.

Our very first trouble with natives occured on the island of Buru, for no apparent reason they suddenly appeared armed with spears and stones and attacked our peaceful settlement! Luckily most of the colonists survived.

Grundius said:
Strange that I missed that advancement to LT1. Anywayz..start building!
About all my provinces are fortified now, and all colonies will be as soon as they develope into full provinces.

And that was my "genius strategy" of avoiding province grabs, rush to Land Tech 1 and aim to have one of each regiment type stationed in each province! :p

Last edited:
I love nations in seemingly hopeless starting conditions, as well as AARs with plenty of pics! Though what gets me is the tagline you've got for your AAR in your sig. Personally, I think EVERYTHING is better than a migraine headache, especially after recently coming out of a five-week-long one.

Last edited:
Aardwark said:
About all my provinces are fortified now, and all colonies will be as soon as they develope into full provinces.

And that was by "genius strategy" of avoiding province grabs, rush to Land Tech 1 and aim to have one of each regiment type stationed in each province! :p

I could only think of that - it is kinda disappointed you have not found some exploit or something, since I find it kinda strange one cannot convert to another religion as a pagan. There are province events, but why would you ever choose to change the religion of one of your provinces to a different one then your own?

Anyway, you're going to protect your empire the old-fashion way, no reli-switch. Well, good luck :D.

Part 12: Shine On You Africa, You Land of Diamonds

Part 12: Shine On You Africa, You Land of Diamonds

We established a colony on a small island west of India called Mahe, this would prove useful as a replenishment post for our explorers as we continued uncovering the western world.

The western exploration effort thus far. We had found an enourmous island to the west which we decided to call Africa, strange creatures from the dreams of madmen roamed that land, elephants we had seen before in India and the lands south of China and we thought those to be perculiar enough as it is, here there were animals tall as 7 men standing on top of each others shoulders, savage cat-dogs that laughed sinisterly as they devoured their prey and huge lizards that like the mantis, acted like statues in order to surprise their unsuspecting victims as they came too near. A truely fascinating place, we would have to explore it further to see what other obscuraties it held.

Korea, hoping to liberate it's former southern provinces from the Japanese, declared war... the Manchu, whom they were allied with cowardly backed away, this looked grim indeed for the Koreans.

We sent a letter explaining our dissatisfaction with the Japanese and their king which they apparently interpreted as a dishonourable act... those silly Shintos. The Manchu, those traitors of traitors, declared war on the Koreans soon after, aided by the Ming! One day we would show those Manchuvians a lesson.

The first Korean loss was to their betrayers, the Manchu.

Sakhalin, another Ryukyu dominion was in existance. This, together with the Kurils, would be a good platform for an eventual invasion of Manchu or Japan.

Strange men from far away lands that we had no knowledge whereabouts came offering an alliance. Not knowing anything about these men and them coming from so far away made our decision easy, we bluntly turned them down.

The second Korean loss came about, this time to the Japanese.

...and the final Korean loss was to the Ming. The Ming quickly took over the as Korea's liege from Japan... maybe this would mean that a war between the Ming and Japan would be in effect as the years passed on?

Wow Africa too ? You're definitely growing out there !