• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm finding myself following in the footsteps of Troggle and posting a milestone post (my 200th) in a Farquharson AAR! I wonder if that will get me a raise here at work? :rofl:

Draco Rexus said:
"Think it'll work?"

"It'd take a miracle."

"Buh-bye!"

:D :D :D

True love is the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice MLT... mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe....they're so perky. I love that.

Singleton Mosby said:
We did not have any sunshine at all during the entire month of July here in the Netherlands. Only thunder and rain. Actually, for seven sundays after another it has rained :eek:

Troggle: He could have been talking about Virginia. The weather here has been ludicrous!

Keeping this thread alive! :)

Talking about the weather: in Europe this doesn't look like summer. June was chilly and June not so better. :( The Baltic is really cold...

It looks like new tradition and everybody else is doing it so why can't I? :)
Post #200.

Player note: Just to keep the thread going, and because I thought you'd be interested. The pics are from a hands off GC I did recently - I wanted to see what the computer would come up with without human interference.

Simba the lion crept into Cardigan's play room. It was a large, spacious hall with various trophies along the walls - a medal from the heroic zebra charge on Zanzibar, a sausage from the Brandenburger pig, a few tastefully mounted feathers from the vulture Simba had mauled.

Cardigan stared intently at his Africa Universalis screen. He merely flicked an ear at the lion's silent entrance. "Just a minute old boy, I'm almost done here."

"Take your time." Simba marvelled at the other games Cardigan owned. "Hearts of Bronze", "Sguno" (named after a minor Mombasa king who no one bothered putting on the monarchy list) and "Spiritual Warrior Chiefs" (SWC) - version 1.03b of course.

Cardigan continued playing for awhile and the lion stared intently. "Who are you? Mombasa?"

"Well, since I play AU vanilla there is no Mombasa old chap, but there is a strange place called Zanj."

"No Mombasa? How odd..."

"Quite. At any rate, I don't play them either. I play the United Zebra Coalition. You see here in western Africa?"

houzc.txt

The UZC not only survives, but prospers. They have a hold in Persia too.

"Is that good?" Simba asked, squinting.

"Quite good! Enigma Corp. usually underestimates us zebras and we're phased out by one power or another."

"Who are these Ottomans?"

"A rug company I believe," Cardigan frowned. "Did quite well though, diploannexed Tunisia and Algiers twice, Aden, the Mamelukes, Zanj. They have trouble late game, but even so you can see they did well."

Simba nodded, though none of these names meant anything to him, and played with the controls. "And they?"

hodelhi.txt

Producer of fine meats.

"Oh, that's where that pig was getting his sausage. They did better than normal, they managed to get their meat to market and increase their share of the profits. They have a center of trade dedicated solely to salami you know."

Simba frowned. "Interesting. Why didn't you conquer them?"

"Well, they are a bit far away old bean. Scroll the map up will you? Good, and to the left? That's Europe."

hoprussia.txt

Prussia's eastern holdings were won at Russia, Austria, Poland AND the Ottoman's Expense.

hofrance.txt

France does well though it's after 1750 by the time England is out of their territory. Sweden swallowed Denmark by 1700. Typical white superblob.

"What a mess!"

"Quite. That is why no African likes to travel up there my friend, they are completely uncivilized. They cannot even put their own continent in order."

"Wasn't the pig from here?"

"Yes, that big grey nation."

"Another reason to hate Europe."

Simba fiddled with the controls. "Au..stri..a. What an odd shaped country."

"Yes, in AU we call them the small white blob..after Mombasa of course. They start out with only five territories."

"They did..well then."

"Yes, though this is normal for them. It's wonderful what excessive intermarriage will do for your borders. Here, let me show you something." Cardigan took the controls. "That's America."

"Where's that?"

"Oh in here." Cardigan tapped his head. "America is Zulu for 'big-place-we-made-up-cuz-we-needed-more-provinces-to-play-with."

"The Zulu language is quite descriptive," Simba marvelled.

"Quite. See, here is South America. We think the Inca are feathered serpents. Or is that the Aztecs? Well, anyway they did quite well ...."

hosouthamerica.txt

Incas survive. Colombia does VERY well.

"I imagine being feathered serpents comes as an advantage."

"Yes, though not all the birds did well. There are some eagles in North America. Actually I didn't think they'd show up at all, but right towards the end - about 1817 - they broke away."

housa.txt

US rebels from CHEROKEE ... on the ruins of a failed Danish colony.

Simba sat there, pondering. "Is this a hard game?" he asked finally.

"It's...not easy," Cardigan allowed. He turned and stared at his lion friend hard, finally putting on his monacle. "Did you want to learn how to play?"

"Would I have to play as the zebras?"

"Oh no, the lions have entire nations to themselves. You can play one of them if you want."

Simba nodded. "Perhaps then....just for an hour or two."

(To be continued on a separate AAR?)

Farquharson: Hurry back!

A pair of migratory birds were staring at the computer screen over Cardigan's shoulder when the First Bird said to the Second Bird, "Amazing, the zebras and the lions have their own nations (btw--which nation is the lion confederacy?). I wonder how us birds are doing?"

The Second Bird swiftly replied, "I hope we're doing better than those North American Eagels, they look positively pathetic."

"Indeed," replied the First Bird, "Perhaps we could play as the Columbia nation. They seem to be doing well."

"For myself," the Second Bird observed, "I believe I would like to take on this Ottoman Nation for Avain-kind, you know they are related to the turkeys?"

"Indeed," answered a shocked First Bird, "I had no idea the Ottomans were of Avian ancestry. How do you think the Birds do against the various confedarices of sheep that begin an AU game?"

"Quite well on the whole," riposted the First Bird, "You don't see any Sheep on Cardiagan's maps now do you?"

Seconding Catknight's comments--hurry back Farquharsan!

Oh aye, hurry ye back Farquharson!

Although with such fine updates as these, (nod of the head to Catknight and Zach), your vacation was far from dull for your faithful readers, eh?

Cardigan, now that you are retired from your life in the military, your hobby of playing with toy soldiers is only natural. Still, your progress with this hobby is nothing short of amazing! We who can only wait for the return of the beloved Farquharson would certainly enjoy reading more of your splendid AU game, in a separate AAR of course.

Oops. Ahem, well, I suppose a word of explanation is in order, why I haven't come up with the promised update yet, and indeed why I'm unlikely to do so for several weeks... Online-ness has not been as easy as I had expected for one thing, but more to the point, it's actually been SUNNY and WARM for quite a lot of the time here. Which means that I have been wandering pathless boggy moors and mountainsides far more than I expected.

Anyway, I had a good chuckle at CatKnight's AU game and Zachary's addendum. Keep it up chaps - there's only a few weeks to go till the next Mombasa update... :eek:

And by the way, congratulations on all those n-hundredth posts. Good grief - how am I ever going to catch up on all this phrenetic activity??? Due to arrive back in sunny Provence about the 20th August.

WHAT?!?! The sun is actually warming the Highlands? :rolleyes: Will miracles never cease?? :rofl:

Farquharson said:
Oops. Ahem, well, I suppose a word of explanation is in order, why I haven't come up with the promised update yet, and indeed why I'm unlikely to do so for several weeks... Online-ness has not been as easy as I had expected for one thing, but more to the point, it's actually been SUNNY and WARM for quite a lot of the time here. Which means that I have been wandering pathless boggy moors and mountainsides far more than I expected.

Anyway, I had a good chuckle at CatKnight's AU game and Zachary's addendum. Keep it up chaps - there's only a few weeks to go till the next Mombasa update... :eek:

And by the way, congratulations on all those n-hundredth posts. Good grief - how am I ever going to catch up on all this phrenetic activity??? Due to arrive back in sunny Provence about the 20th August.

Take your time. I'll probably be at 1000, by the time you get back :D

edit: I just realized how close I am to 1000, so I'll probably be way past it when you get back. Look for them all here.

Draco Rexus said:
WHAT?!?! The sun is actually warming the Highlands? :rolleyes: Will miracles never cease?? :rofl:
Tis a Sign of the Apocalypse, so 'tis. ;)

And Farquharson - Enjoy your holiday!
and you still owe me a camel

In case anyone should question the veracity of my meteorological claims, you can see the evidence in these photos, taken a few days ago whilst on a pillaging trip in the Grampians area. I of course am the old grizzled one with the beard, the others being my sister and her work colleague (who was also the photographer). As you can see, I am patently NOT playing EU2 nor writing Mombasa game updates. Note also that a nearby but rarely visible stellar object, often popularly known as "the Sun" appears in more than one of the pictures!

Troggle - roll on that 1000th post!

Merrick - the camel is definitely in the pipeline!

Last edited:
Damn nice photos! Makes me wanna make a pilgrimage to the Highlands. Knowing my luck, by the time I get there, the weather will have returned to "normal" and Farq will be back posting updates, which I will then of course be missing! :rolleyes:

Not the MacDougalls :eek: ... I just got back from the Highlands yesterday/today, but I went further north than the Grampians. Are you going anywhere else in Scotland?

Draco - hurry and I might see you there!

Sultan - yes indeed! Having successfully pillaged Lothian, Strathclyde and the Grampians, I will of course be venturing far into the Highlands next week, for some prolonged Mountain Mayhem.

I do apologise for how off-topic this thread has strayed, but the Animal Tales will be back, I promise!

but how far north will ye go?

This must be one of the most OT:ed AARs ever. But I still love it.