• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, very lucky indeed. Your new King just becomes Emperor. Perhaps because he is a Habsburg? :D

You're gonna form Netherlands real fast. Way faster than I can in my game. Keep up the good work!

You became emperor as Holland, and the first call to arm is the ideal war you were waiting for? I can't believe your luck. Still, your playstile is good, so you probably deserve it :D

You could even try to (re)form the HRE, and THEN form the Netherlands ;)
We're not allowed to have any territory outside the ones marked in the map in the first post, remember?

So you just reform the empire till the point where every german minor (or major) is your vassal and stop there with reforming ;)

That could be a possibility. Although I won't retain the title for long, I have already lost votes.
But I have managed to become a colonial power without conquering any provinces in Europe except Friesland, Gelre and Utrecht in IN. So I'll try it.

Part IV: Unifications

August 1412 the ruler of Saxony dies out. We had hoped to get a PU with them, or even inherit, but this is the result:

hesmun.jpg

Succession war with Hesse. Münster is beaten and reduced a OPM, and Hesse slowly loses two of three provinces. Peace is accepted September 1413:

vasl.jpg

We vassalize Hesse instead of forming a union with Saxony. The reason is that we would have -190 relations with Saxony, and our money really doesn't afford that much.

In April 1416 we get a new king and a new heir. Unfortunately we lost the HRE title to Bohemia.

johanx.jpg

Even Johan wants to live in Holland!

Thanks to a core-giving event, we get a core on Antwerpen. This calls for a war.

antwe.jpg

The war lasts for many years, until in December 1420 peace is made:

burundi.jpg

We now have a CoT in Antwerpen. We decide to leave the Hanseatic League. We need no help!

1421 Cologne wants to reclaim Osnabrück.

dosna.jpg

And we diploannex Gelre:

gelk.jpg

We peace out with Bremen in early 1422, annex Oldenburg and finally in March 1423 we make peace with Cologne:

kolon.jpg

But we are not allowed to keep it, due to my house rules. So we sell it to Hesse for 0 ducats.

dutchch.jpg

40 years before we can form Dutch nation... and then the real fun starts.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something here? In 1410 you get Utrecht and Gelre becomes your vassal. In 1417 they join your war against Burgundy (what happened to them by the way?) and in 1421 they're part of Holland or my eyes deceiving me?

Also why include Oldenburg, Osnabrück and Münster in the (future) great dutch empire?

Maybe I missed something here? In 1410 you get Utrecht and Gelre becomes your vassal. In 1417 they join your war against Burgundy (what happened to them by the way?) and in 1421 they're part of Holland or my eyes deceiving me?

Also why include Oldenburg, Osnabrück and Münster in the (future) great dutch empire?

:eek:o I forgot to mention, I diploannexed them in 1421.

Excellent progress. A very interesting country to play, and a clear and to the point presentation of your game. :cool:

Can't wait for the colonization!

The heirs name is Johan!!! Yeeees!

Darn, I can't update today. I had lots of problems when first downloading 4.1 beta and as it gives CTD's, I had to reinstall, I got more problems, but now it works. I can play the update today, but not write it. :(
(And of course I'm playing my Spain game, otherwise I couldn't learn it.
And I'm playing Men Of War.).

Last edited:
Really interesting AAR so far, subscribed and I'm looking forward to the next update.

Part V: Forging a nation

June 1424 we receive a shocking new:

excum.jpg

We're not allowed to take any region from Brunswick, so they are made our vassal.
In 1427 Thuringia lifts our excommunication. Everything is all right.

In 1431 Johan rises to the throne. A new heir is born, and guess what's his name?

johanheir.jpg

Now that's something Johan11 laughs at.

We get the mission to conquer Vlaanderen from England. We attack right away.

conq.jpg

Liege, who joined the war, is made vassal in 1434.

We would have never been able to build up enough warscore against England, but our vassals conquered Labourd and Gascogne.
peeep.jpg

We sell Calais to Liege.

Hainaut declares war on us. They get annexed and sold to Liege.

liegge.jpg

Our Infamy is rising. We make one final war before letting it drop: we DoW Brabant. Munster, their ally, is now a vassal.

brbc.jpg

And Brabant's an OPM.

Here's finally a map showing where we are allowed to go in game's view:

durch.jpg

We will not go any further than the red line.