• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I also started my first game as Holland, and within 3 years DoW Hainaut. What do I get? Adolf von Braunschweig-Lüneburg. :rolleyes:

Strangely enough having that name actually made me probably pre-disposed to inherit Lüneburg later :)

I hope your game goes as well as mine does so far. It's 1445, and I've conquered all dutch provinces, except for Friesland (who got stupidly annexed by the brittish). I even managed to annex as far as Köln.

My second HTTT game will be AARified. For now, I want another update here! :D

Soon, my friend. Soon. Right when my sister leaves the computer. This crappy Linux laptop just isn't enough to play EU3

Will follow. So, where exactly do you plan to colonize? Historical or grab what you can?

Well, partly historical. I will go for America and India as in RL, but not to Africa. I won't take the exact same colonies Netherlands really had, but eventually I might end up taking them, too.
I updated the first post with some house rules.

Part II: The Coast War

We move towards Free Trade. After that is done, we start to send diplomatic notes to neighbouring countries. We warn Gelre, Utrecht and Friesland and guarantee Oldenburg.

diplp.jpg

Red indicates our warnings/guarantees/insults.

The year 1400 goes over without any problems. Relations with Hainaut has detetoriated down to -200, and on January 1401 (!) we break free:

habsabs.jpg

And our king is a Habsburg!

On the same summer, Friesland attack Oldenburg without a Casus Belli.

ctal.jpg

Quickly, with the aid of Oldenburg and Brabant, we annex Friesland in June 1402.

firisi.jpg

The war of the Dutch Coast is over.

Gelre annexed Utrecht!!

I'd say the bigger problem will be Burgundy.

France isn't that big or blob in HttT... usually gets beaten.

in my first HTTT game as Hungary it's ~1450 and they've got all their modern territory except Berry (once annexed and forcibly released), Brittany (OPM), Morbihan (owned by Naples :rofl:) and Armagnac (because they didn't had enough time), so I guess you still want to protect your mainland holdings.

Nice, you got Friesland early. I had to pull it out of England's hands (which I did manage btw, although due to some bad manoeuvring, they destroyed my entire fleet in one battle (35-12)

Yep, it's actually a funny story...
Utrecht started the Utrechtian reconquest of Gelre, and got annexed :rofl:.

You did get a CB or Call to Arms on them, right? Since you warned them. Or were you too busy with the Frisian war? Be careful now, it is currently freezing there, so they get the ice skates out and defeat your army by negating the river crossing penalty :D

I'd say the bigger problem will be Burgundy.

Yup, so it is in my game. I actually declared war on Hainaut to get out, and I annexed them as punishment :p Burgundy later took Brabant and Liege, so now Hainaut is completely surrendered by the BBofB (Big Blob of Burgundy). It took me quite some years to get my relation high enough (and some time to figure out I had to break the royal ties to prevent the relation dropping every time :p) so I could get over there and crush the various rebels that rose up every now and then.

I cant wait to get Heir to the Throne, such a great AAR makes it more desirable!

Nice, you got Friesland early. I had to pull it out of England's hands (which I did manage btw, although due to some bad manoeuvring, they destroyed my entire fleet in one battle (35-12)

You did get a CB or Call to Arms on them, right? Since you warned them. Or were you too busy with the Frisian war? Be careful now, it is currently freezing there, so they get the ice skates out and defeat your army by negating the river crossing penalty :D
I'm not sure if it's a bug, but I didn't even get a CtA. Although I had warned them.

Part III: Reneging the Past

February 1405 sees the Reichsreform. We get a chance to vote.

hrevote.jpg

Well, we vote yes because of the bonuses.
August 1406 we get our first NI. We pick National Trade Policy for increased trade effeciency.

Three years later in 1409, a herald brings a message from the HRE:

willemholland.jpg

And shortly after...

gelee.jpg

Gelre DoWs... Salzburg. Maybe that's a part of their plan to conquer the world :wacko:.

Already in February 1410, the war ends:

peaccce.jpg

We have a vassal and all required regions for the Netherlands. Now it's only 50 years, during which we can take some additional regions nearby (see the first post) and increase our trade.

deutsh.jpg

You became emperor as Holland, and the first call to arm is the ideal war you were waiting for? I can't believe your luck. Still, your playstile is good, so you probably deserve it :D

You could even try to (re)form the HRE, and THEN form the Netherlands ;)