• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IPlayer

Second Lieutenant
79 Badges
Jan 18, 2013
  • Sengoku
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Semper Fi
  • Magicka
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • War of the Vikings
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
Hello and welcome to my first AAR and sorry for that awful pun which didn't even make up the name of the country I'm playing.
But if you are here you obviously know i am playing as Aragon.
*DISCLAIMER*

I am not the greatest (he said under-statemently?) paradox games player and thus you will have to do with probably below average or, if I'm lucky, average gameplay

PART I
The calm before the (really minor) storm

On the 14th of October 1399 the Kingdom of Aragon was at peace. And so was Marti I the King. It was a peaceful time although he felt it was going to change.
AragonAAR2_zps4edde76a.jpg

Surrounded by the powerful French and their vassals as well bordering the pious Castilians which were at that time, completing the Reconquista, he knew something was going to change.
He was looking to the north and realized that god willed it for Aragon to become mighty, and that they will start with Navarra!
AragonAAR1_zps1337b629.jpg

He decided that before he declares war he will need to start a military council and thus has hired a retired veteran of the waves.
AragonAAR3_zps68334bd6.jpg

*I’m looking for a name for the king’s assistant/councilor/helper so for now he shall simply be named ---*
---: ”why would you hire him?”
Marti: “I’m not sure something in me made me hire him”
---: ”Could it possibly be his name?”
Marti: “No…. of course not….”
Thus war was declared and 3 days later interesting news arrive at the king’s chamber:
---: ”My king it seems that both Milan and Bavaria have seen the greatness of the kingdom of Aragon and wish to ally with us”
AragonAAR4_zpsdee8d520.jpg

Marti: ”the greatness of the kingdom of Aragon…. I can get used to that”
---:”so about the alliances…”
Marti: “Right ok… wait…. Aren’t they Austria’s biggest rivals? Wouldn’t Austria come after us in an event of a war?”
---:”well yes… but as Austria has no access to the sea they will have to walk all the way here and France hates them as much as Bavaria and Milan so it is highly doubtful they will grant then access through their lands”
Marti: “well in that case then agree to both of them”
While the war with Navarra “rages” on the king and his assistant have a chat
Marti: ”… so you say we should allow the peasants more freedom”
---: “in short. Yes.”
AragonAAR5_zps451074fe.jpg

Marti: “and that what happens when you give people too much freedom”
After an uneventful year (actually we got a RM with Brittany and we got an heir which died half a year later but in war terms nothing happened) the kings receives word of the war end.
---: “Sire we have taken Navarra and demanded that they become your underling
EU3_14_zps069224c4.jpg

Although the commanders did complain that the siege took too long and demand more men. They say we can currently supply 17 regiments. Marti (seriously why did you hire him?) reminds you that you promised him that you would supply the navy with more ships”
Marti: “fine then tell the commanders I will allow them to recruit 4000 more men and that I will allow the navy to gather materials to build 2 new cogs”
EU3_17_zps687050c1.jpg

One night the king remembers the generous gift of the Holy Father and has decided to accept it. IT’S TIME FOR WAR.
EU3_18_zps928f8640.jpg

Last edited:
"off to a great start :/
first aar and the screenshots don't appear. if anyone knows why or how to fix it, help would be much appreciated."
I expected trouble but that was really annoying thanks to the guys that helped and of course for ATBking that isn't mentioned here but helped "behind the scenes"

Last edited:
This is a problem with your image links.

when you are in photobucket, right click on it and copy "image link", instead of the link of the page.
That would fix it :)

example:
i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag88/ilanpeer/EU3_18_zps928f8640.jpg
instead of
s1300.photobucket.com/user/ilanpeer/media/EU3_18_zps928f8640.jpg.html?sort=2&o=15

You dont need pics. Just use your imagination!

This is a problem with your image links. when you are in photobucket, right click on it and copy "image link", instead of the link of the page. That would fix it
thanks. It's good to know :)
Goin' well IPlayer, pretty snazzy AAR you got yourself. I use Imgur for my images because it's the first thing that came to mind then select the "BBcode" it gives you.
thank you :) I saw yours earlier and I managed to get a laugh out of it it was really nice :)
You dont need pics. Just use your imagination!
imagination? what's that? but seriously I know I don't NEED pics but I don't like reading AARs with too much text. so i prefer mine to be with pics :)

Part II
The (Really minor?) Storm

The King had just declared war but was reluctant to call in Sicily-his old time allies because apparently they were fond of Sardinia and he was afraid of losing them as an ally.
Thus the state of the war was as follows
EU3_19_zps81f2d29a.jpg

The King, knowing that he will have to send his troops by ship to attack Sardinia and The Papal State spoke to his veteran that finally is of use.
Marti: “…My King, you should know that I have a friend that may be of use. He is a trained general and although some might view him as an almost competent general, I assure you that he will grant Aragon many victories.”
Marti: “And what might his name be?”
Marti: “his name is not important. When he will win battles for the glory of the kingdom of Aragon all of Europe will know his name. But as of right now, it is not important.”
Marti: “Very well, call upon your friend. And may I know how goes the war?”
Marti: “We have managed to land troops in Sardinia thanks to the ships I requested”
That very instant Marti Edelmiro (simply known as MED. We can’t have everyone called Marti now can we?) rushed to the king with urgent news.
MED: “My King… I come…. Bearing… grave news…”
Marti: “Relax, take a deep breath, just tell me what happened.”
MED: “It seems that your old time ally, Sicily, has allied with the pope and is now at war with us”
EU3_20_zpsa4779e98.jpg

EU3_21_zps731bd8d2.jpg

MED: “Marti’s friend has finally arrived yet is reluctant to attack the 4k army of Sicily without more help.”
Marti: “Tell him that I’ll grant him permission to recruit 3000 more men but that will be his army to attack Italy with as well, so he better be careful.”
EU3_23_zps6938e806.jpg

MED: “on another note Norway wants a royal marriage.”
Marti: “Norway??? Well ok then?”
The king has received a letter from Roderic (from now Rod) about what has happened this past month

My King. The state of the war is as follows:
We have successfully managed to land troops both in Sardinia and in Malta. Our ships are also blockading Palermo, not allowing any ship to leave the port. Thanks to our policies about the quantity of our army more men have shown the willingness of joining.
The pope has managed to evade our glorious fleet and landed 2000 men on The Baleares.
EU3_26_zps5a6227f6.jpg

Probably the most important events in the last month were the battles against Sicily in Roussillon and Girona. We defeated them in Roussillon with minor casualties and have driven them back to Girona. Apparently, even god wanted us to win because we managed to completely annihilate their army and we didn’t lose a single soldier in the battle.
EU3_29_zps3dbf03aa.jpg

I will now send my army to The Baleares to take care of the pope’s army and then we shall march on Rome itself.
I hope this satisfies you
Rod

The war continues and Med comes bearing strange news
MED: “Glory to you my King, you have become the Papal Controller!”
EU3_33_zps5a408550.jpg

Marti: “Even though we are at war and Rod is just about to land in Roma? OK although soon we will truly become the Papal Controller MUAHAHAHAHA”

Part III
The storm Continued

One Night the King decided transcribe the events of the Kingdom of Aragon for he knew that this will be a pivotal point for the kingdom of Aragon:

On the 21st of February 1403 Anno-Domini The pope capitulated and has agreed to become my vassal.
EU3_35_zps0abcb33f.jpg

By November of that year we have taken control of both Malta and Palermo and I intend to make the king of Sicily become my underling as well.
EU3_37_zps6219c275.jpg

During November I have hired a diplomat to reduce the soon to be tensions with the other kingdoms to my vassalization of the Sicily. He is not the best but he will suffice.
EU3_39_zps9f2933b9.jpg

I granted Marti the permission to build the carrack he wanted for so long and allowed Rod to recruit 6000 more men to the army. With those men Rod believed he can crush Castille thanks to them being at war.
EU3_42_zps3f0f6073.jpg

EU3_46_zps08841957.jpg

On the 6th of July 1404 war was declared and we got replies from our allies on the 7th. All our vassals joined and so did Bavaria and Milan. Portugal honoured their alliance with Castille.
EU3_48_zps0e8c2b20.jpg

The first major battle was in Navarra. Rod suffered many losses but prevailed against an outstanding General.
EU3_50_zpsa967febf.jpg

A few month after that battle we conceded defeat to Portugal in order to get them out of the war. At the end of the year Rod fought against another large army, this time Castillian.
EU3_55_zpsc3d1c613.jpg

Even though we were winning on the southern coast, Castille was sieging their occupied provinces.
EU3_56_zps3be25e7b.jpg

During the war I also got a new heir. We decided to opt out of the war. We took Madrid even though we got a core on Castille La Vieja (the mission gave us a core). We were at peace and my kingdom was getting mightier. I even managed to beat my Iberian nemesis.
EU3_60_zps314cc945.jpg

Last edited:
Part IV
“Congratulations my King, on winning the war against Castille.”
“Thank you MED. Although we saw Castille’s power in the last war and we will need to become much stronger in order to defeat them.”
“Well… I actually thought of that and I suggest you marry some nobles of our court to the nobles in Naples, Savoy, England and Ferrara.”
“Why should we marry them?”
“The heirs of those kingdoms have weak claims to the thrones in their kingdoms. So by arranging a royal marriage you can fabricate a claim on the kingdoms and when we win those kingdoms will be under your control.”
“Then what are you waiting for? Go ahead and arrange them”
EU3_62_zpsbd125d39.jpg

“I think it’s time to claim Naples throne my King.”
“And why them?”
“Because they are allied with the Scandinavians and they are far away”
“Then tell Rod to ready his men! We are heading for Naples!”
EU3_63_zpse5cc1b8c.jpg

Meanwhile on the way
“We are almost at Naples my King”
*clueless*”I’M ON A BOAT”
“Ship*”
“I’M ON A BOAT”
“Ignore him, it’s useless. Rod are your troops ready?”
“Ready and waiting”
EU3_64_zps6cdc334c.jpg

Meanwhile in Naples the King speaks to his advisor
"WHY ARE THERE ARAGONESE TROOPS AND SHIPS OUTSIDE NAPLES?!"
awkward silence
"OH NO"
EU3_65_zps9f5b0b4b.jpg

EU3_66_zps44204c3f.jpg

“Good job so far rod but from now on don’t engage any Norwegian troops”
“Why not?”
“A few years back we got a royal marriage with the Norwegians and now that marriage has caused the heir to Norway to “belong” to us. So we must declare peace with them immediately”
EU3_67_zps349db733.jpg

EU3_73_zps128bacfd.jpg

“Excellent work Rod, thanks to you I have become king of both Aragon and Naples. And because of that I want your son to become the Regent over Naples while I am in Aragon.”
“Thank you my King”
“OH, I almost forgot give him this and tell him he needs to be in the palace tomorrow for rehearsals”
The next morning in the palace
“Prepare for trouble!”
“And make it double!”
“To protect the world from devastation!”
“To ignite all peoples within our nation!”
“To denounce the evils of truth and love!”
“To extend our reach to the stars above!”
“Aragon!”
“Naples!”
“Team Marti, blast off at the speed of light!”
“Surrender now, or prepare to fight!”
“Navarra!
That's right!”
“This is insulting do I have to do this? And why is it team Marti?”
“Yes we must do this and do you have a better name? exactly.”

P.S I got tired of the titles so from now on they will be named by the number of the chapter

Last edited:
That very instant Marti Edelmiro (simply known as MED. We can’t have everyone called Marti now can we?) rushed to the king with urgent news.
MED: “My King… I come…. Bearing… grave news…”

Hey ho!
Med has a message for you: You should send a gift to Savoy to counter that illegal use of character names :-D

sorry there hasn't been an update in a while. been busy with school work but now i am mostly done

Part V
“My King, it seems that becoming king over 2 countries and forcing a more centralized government has caused a usurper claiming your throne”
EU3_1_zpsd9b019e5.jpg

“Just send in the army. Rod has taken out professional armies so taking out peasant rabble should be a breeze”
EU3_2_zps13d223e3.jpg

“Marti and Rod are at it again my King. Except they have groups of men backing them up this time. Who do you side with?”
“We will secretly side with Rod”
EU3_5_zpsc2d1254f.jpg

“For now just tell them to go get a glass of wine; there was an excellent vintage this year”
EU3_6_zps9716066e.jpg

The King in shock, has received news that will cause great devastation if spreads to the people.
“My King, Rod… He……”
“WHAT, SPIT IT OUT MAN”
“He….”
“WHAT”
“He…. Let’s just say that his winning streak will stay as it is forever”
“….”
EU3_9_zpsa6882765.jpg

“I know you were looking for an ally that can help us crush Castille, so I took the liberty to ask someone for an alliance”
“And who exactly did you ask”
“Just see for yourself, we got the answer today”
EU3_12_zps7f6a535b.jpg

“The new government official you hired reported that one of our wealthier merchants has died and that his money was transferred to the state treasury.
EU3_14_zps8d6000d7.jpg

“Sire, villagers in Roussillon have been having trouble with villagers from the French provinces of Languedoc and Toulouse. What would you like to do?”
EU3_16_zps4d76395a.jpg

“I say get our troops ready, we must stay vigil and protect against france”
EU3_18_zps2d0dffb4.jpg

“Nothing happened with France. They seemed to let it slide”
“Oh well, now what?”
“Well there was the war you declared on Castille”
“Ohhhhhhhhhhh…. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT”
EU3_25_zpsd9846943.jpg

p.s I show a great deal of incompetence by forgetting to take screenshots of the DOW. ALL THE TIME. oh and the indents i do is because I can't think of a way to connect the events so they show that they are separate. this update is also short as i plan on another update going up later on in the day

Last edited:
Part VI
“My King, England, our loyal ally are subsidizing our war effort. It seems they want to see us crush Castille.”
EU3_26_zps530b7af4.jpg

“Excellent”
“Our new general, coincidentally also named Roderic has managed to secure victory in the first battle of the war. This surely bodes well.”
EU3_27_zpsa8a599ed.jpg

“Rod tells us that after many months of chasing down the fleeing Castillian army, they have managed to destroy it in Cordoba”
EU3_31_zps1fb2dc59.jpg

“Sire, the Portuguese have taken Madrid but the English force that took Salamanca has moved to confront them. Rod has already sent troops to assist. He has also taken Murcia and is currently leading the siege of La Mancha. Castille is besieging Alicante but it has yet to fall. Even the Sicilians and the Pope have decided to join the fun and are sieging Alentejo and Algarve respectively.”
EU3_33_zps8b4d7a23.jpg

“After sieges from both sides the war is as follows, my King. Our alliance currently holds the Castillian lands of Murcia, La Mancha, Murcia and Salamanca. We have also took the Portuguese province of Algarve. We are currently sieging Porto, Lisboa, Alentejo, Vizcaya, Cantabria, Caseres and Castilla La Vieja which is rightfully ours. We have also finished taking back our province of Madrid from the Portuguese. The enemy alliance has taken Alicante and Aragon but the latter is being taken by rebels. They are also currently sieging Navarra.”
EU3_38_zps97387d96.jpg

EU3_39_zpsc57b469a.jpg

EU3_40_zps2bd0110f.jpg

“We have also told the commanders that from now on the bulk of the infantry will support Long bows”
EU3_42_zpsaa49480d.jpg

“SIRE THE PORTUGUESE HAVE SURRENDERD. They have agreed to give us Algarve as well as 25 ducats and they will also sever all ties with Castille.”
EU3_44_zps3e4e7300.jpg

“MED how goes the war, for we must end it quickly”
“Why so my King?”
“My son. His horse was out in the wilds and found him lying motionless. When we followed the horse back we found that was assassinated. The assassin tried to make it look like a hunting accident. The people will surely be horrified and the entire Kingdom will be destabilized.”
EU3_48_zps10850bbd.jpg

“Well sire Burgundy has offered us an alliance to which I have agreed and the men have finally taken Burgos which means we can get peace. What shall the peace include?”
“Well, we shall take Castilla La Vieja, Vizcaya and Burgos. I want them to admit the Madrid and Alicante are NOT a part of their realm. They should also release Galicia and pay us 100 ducats.”
“Very well sir the deal is sent”
EU3_50_zps16961da9.jpg

“Now allow me MED to go and grieve my son finally. Just please could you have our cartographers draw me maps of our diplomatic situation and the state of affairs in Europe?”
EU3_51_zps3217955b.jpg

EU3_52_zps6d4342ce.jpg