• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rolman99

Private
48 Badges
Feb 13, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Pride of Nations
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
Can we have it back? I don't like that dumb elective system Paradox cooked up and I'm pretty sure most people don't like it, too.

I think the HIP method of handling it in older updates was a really good representation of the Byzantine Empire's strongman tradition: the succession system was primogeniture, but there was a decision that could be taken with certain traits/prestige/martial that would generate a non-heritable strong claim on the empire, at least that's what I remember. It was a really cool way of causing imperial musical chairs to be a thing, and I do remember that it worked well in my games, even between the AI.

Sorry if this was posted about before!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Can we have it back? I don't like that dumb elective system Paradox cooked up and I'm pretty sure most people don't like it, too.

I think the HIP method of handling it in older updates was a really good representation of the Byzantine Empire's strongman tradition: the succession system was primogeniture, but there was a decision that could be taken with certain traits/prestige/martial that would generate a non-heritable strong claim on the empire, at least that's what I remember. It was a really cool way of causing imperial musical chairs to be a thing, and I do remember that it worked well in my games, even between the AI.

Sorry if this was posted about before!

There's a few mods on Steam, but from what I can remember they're somewhat buggy.

Last edited:
In one of my recent game the Byzantines went into a revolt spiral early on and had a new ruler almost every year. I attended a coronation once, and the day after he was crowned, he abdicated through faction demand and I got a new invitation for the next guy the day after.

Not sure about everyone else but I've seen all sorts of Byzantine games recently, one where they take sicily and a good chunk of the levant (1066), games where the Seljuks march into Anatolia (seems rarer now?) or even a strong Armenian state form from rebellion that proceded conquer Georgia and even holy war into Daylam.

In one of my recent game the Byzantines went into a revolt spiral early on and had a new ruler almost every year. I attended a coronation once, and the day after he was crowned, he abdicated through faction demand and I got a new invitation for the next guy the day after.

This was my experience in my attempt at a Roman run in HIP. It was not fun at all. Literally there was a civil war every single year once the first Emperor went down (which I was playing as). It made it impossible to even try to conquer more land, which caused the Empire to slowly get eaten away by everyone else.

Well, Bizantium was unstable mosty and rather defend his borders not conquer, I have no problem with that
But I have problem with Heiliges Römisches Reich
Even AI can conquer quite easly with this
historically they would take care of themselves most of the time and Emperor usually have big problem with problem with expansion anywhere
But currently I see Emperors in Afrika, Emperors conquering France etc.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, in the pre-Holy Fury we had events where heroes in battles won a strong claim in the Empire, in addition to the events when a Strategos dies and we have choose the successor are more elaborate.

Yes, in the pre-Holy Fury we had events where heroes in battles won a strong claim in the Empire, in addition to the events when a Strategos dies and we have choose the successor are more elaborate.

I do think the heroes getting strong claim to the empire is still a thing. I remember seeing it multiple times during my run with frosty2

Reactions: