• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SouthCarolinian

Captain 10th S.C.
58 Badges
May 15, 2007
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Prologue
CSAflag.gif

Most countries are born out of strife and war. The Confederate States of America was no different. Its birth was short, but the bloodshed surrounding it was tremendous. The hostilities began when Confederate forces began a bombardment of Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor in South Carolina. As the opening shots of the War for Southern Independence were fired the major European powers, Britain and France declared neutrality and only recognized the Confederacy as a belligerent not an actual nation. The Confederacy knew that without outside support their cause was doomed to fail.
The pivotal point that would lead to the independence of the South was known as the Trent Incident.

On November 6, 1861 the U.S. Frigate San Jacinto intercepted a British mail packet, the Trent as it sailed from the Spanish port of Havana. On board the Trent were the Confederate commissioners, James Mason and John Slidell. During the boarding two British citizens were also shot and killed by the U.S. boarding party. The Captain of the San Jacinto, Charles Wilkes returned with his captured commissioners and became a hero overnight. Yet he also plunged Lincoln and his administration into the worst crisis they had yet faced.

When news of the boarding reached London the British were outraged at what was in essence an act of war. Queen Victoria wrote that British blood “boiled” with rage. The Foreign Secretary, Lord John Russel wrote a memorandum to the United States demanding the release of the captives and an apology. The bluntness of the letter left no room for Lincoln to maneuver and didn’t allow for the North to back down without losing face. The response came from William Seward, the U.S. Secretary of State who said that the Union would wrap the world in flames if forced into conflict with Britain.

Without an official apology from the North things quickly spiraled out of control. Confederate agents operating in British North America began launching raids into Union border towns to try and begin a war. These raids led to gunfights between Canadian militia and Union cavalry that crossed the border to pursue the Confederate raiders. The incidents began to escalate until it became clashes between British and Union soldiers. War finally formally broke out in January of 1862.

As soon as Britain had declared war against the Union France, under Napoleon III quickly followed suit and hell was unleashed on Earth. British ships sank Union merchant vessels the world ‘round and broke the blockade of Southern ports. French troops also fought alongside their Confederate counterparts and at one point earned the respect of General Lee after helping to break Union lines at the Battle of Boonsboro Maryland. Soon the Union found it’s western seaboard being raided and occupied by British forces and being pushed back by Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. The only place the Union was succeeded was in British North America, but that was quickly becoming a guerrilla war that was unsustainable.

The war finally ended after the mediation of Tsar Alexander II of Russia in 1863. The peace treaty was finally signed and the Confederacy became a nation recognized by the world. The United States was never pleased with the outcome but never tried to retake the states that had left the Union. Conflict against France and England was always viewed as a folly after the War for Southern Independence.

So as the year 1936 dawned the Confederacy was still a young nation. As a country it was in the midst of the Great Depression and its economy was in shambles. The military was small and outdated, unprepared for any conflict that might come its way. Even so, the nation had seen worse and was prepared to weather the storm. The core of the confederacy was strong and the government under President Harry Byrd was making plans for the coming years to get the Confederacy back on its feet.

The government’s plan began with a massive buildup of the nations industrial capacity. The various states making up the Confederacy had agreed to begin construction on twelve new factories that would be finished in 1937. The second part of the government’s plan was to begin an increase in military spending. The construction of new ships and the raising of new divisions would provide jobs just as the factories would and help to strengthen the nation. The government with the backing of the states also began making its way out of isolation and extended its hand in friendship once more to the Confederacy’s longtime allies Great Britain and France. Still, these changes won’t take effect for years, but in the meantime the nation is making do as it always has, and the young officers of the Confederate military, whose fathers had served in the bloody killing grounds of Europe and whose grandparents had marched with Lee and Jackson for the independence of the nation now would face new challenges as the country pulled itself out of financial misery. Then they would see as one misery left another took its place and the clouds of war would once more sit hauntingly over the European continent. Among these young officers were men like Confederate Army Lieutenant James Hughes, a man who came from an aristocratic family with a hot temper and a nose for trouble, and the Confederate Army Air Force’s Lieutenant Memphis O’Donnell who had risen from poverty to gain a commission in the military. These men and many others would soon find themselves center stage as the world was once more engulfed in flames.

Oh, another CSA AAR, that's good. I'll be following this as well. :)

That will be interesting...:)

Good Luck!

Thank you. I hope to make it interesting, and as opposed to my other aar this one will be character driven, more of a story if you will.

Oh, another CSA AAR, that's good. I'll be following this as well. :)

Glad you're on board!!

I like the new point of departure on board the Trent. Makes a change from Pickett's charge or Sharpsburg.

I thought the Trent Affair would help lead the way into the mod since CSABadass's mod has the Confederacy being very close with the British and French, plus it simply makes the prologue more interesting.

very coool!!! :cool:

looking forward to this.

later, caff

I'm very interested in this too! If you're reaching out to England and France, might we see some brave men in butternut appearing on the Continent around 1939 and showing Jerry what's what?

Part I: The New Generation

Chapter 1
Part 1
CSAflag.gif

Fort Benning, Georgia
December 31, 1935
11:45 p.m.

The buildings at the home of the 1st R. E. Lee Division, Fort Benning, Georgia all looked essentially the same. Even the insides of most of the buildings were the same. Lieutenant James Hughes stood in front of what was another unimposing building and smiled as he heard the yelling and laughing coming from inside. This was his home away from home, the Officer’s Club. It was the one refuge on the base where the officers could forget about the way they had to act in front of the enlisted men and simply be able to be amongst friends and truly relax. Usually the club was the domain of men, but on holidays, such as New Years, many wives, girlfriends, and “friends” were present.

James quickly ascended the steps and stepped inside of the Club. He was instantly greeted by an attendant who took is coat and gave him a tag so he could claim it on his way out. The first stop he made before entering the great room of the club where the party was going on was the bar so he could ring in the New Year correctly. After acquiring his scotch he moved on into the great room.

In the room officers ranging from 2nd Lieutenant to full Colonel all sat or stood in various states of drunkenness playing cards or simply shooting the shit and smoking. James saw his superior, Captain John Ashley and as their eyes met Ashley yelled out to him “Get your ass over here Hughes,” and then went animatedly back to telling a story to the group of four officers with him.

“So, there I was with this idiot who was completely snookered,” Ashley was saying. “And so he’s trying to tell me that he tripped and that’s why this brick had come sailing through the General Store’s front window”
Laughter broke out from the group of officers.
“Well, what did you do to him?” questioned a 2nd Lieutenant.
The Captain smiled at his captive crowd.
“I scared the hell outta him is what I did,” he said.
Ashley took a sip of his drink to try and build the tension and James tried not to laugh, he knew what was coming.
“I told him, that as an officer and a gentleman I was obliged to write him up and see that the cost of the damages was taken out of his pay,” he said with a grin.
A chorus of groans erupted from the gathering around him.
“That’s it?” asked the same 2nd Lieutenant. “You Captain, tell the worst stories.”
The group laughed and James spoke up.
“He never has good stories because he’s too damn good of an officer to do anything out of the ordinary.”
The good Captain naturally called the James out on what he had said simply asking, “Well, do you have any good stories Hughes?”
James laughed and took a sip of his scotch. After a moment of though he replied.
“No, I don’t because I serve under you.”
The group laughed and Captain Ashley sighed. James smiled and one more sipped his scotch. Then suddenly James was bumped rather hardly from behind and proceeded to let loose his drink all over his uniform. Silently he cursed and quickly turned completely prepared to berate whoever had caused this unfortunate turn of events. When he turned he was face to face with the volatile Colonel George Patton who looked him square in the eye.

“Quite sorry about that Lieutenant,” he said.
James kept his mouth shut for a moment so as to not say anything that he would regret.
After a moment he replied, “It’s quite alright sir.”
“Bullshit, you’re madder than hell,” Patton said as he laughed.
“Yes sir, I am,” came James’ terse reply.
Patton took him by the arm and said, “Come with me then and I’ll see to it that we get you fixed back up.”

James complied and allowed the Colonel to lead him out of the Great Room and towards upstairs to a lounge room where Patton told him to sit down and wait. He sat down and noticed immediately that Patton had closed the door as they had come in. James thought it was strange that he would do that but didn’t think to hard about it. Meanwhile as he sat there he also noticed that Patton had disappeared into an adjoining room and shut the door behind him. Still he though nothing of it and finished what scotch hadn’t been loosed all over his shirt.

Suddenly the door that Patton had gone through opened once more and out came the Colonel flanked by two men who looked to James to be spooks from the CIS, Confederate Intelligence Service. Needless to say James knew something was going on and was decidedly worried as to what it might be, and he voiced that concern.

“What the hell is going on here?” he said.
Patton looked at each of the CIS men and then back at James and replied, “No need to be worried Lieutenant, these gentlemen and I have something to talk to you about.”
This caused James to become even more worried and he tried to think of something he had done that would cause the CIS to peg him as someone of interest. He could think of nothing but knew something was amiss.
“Listen, I’m a proud son of South Carolina and have done nothing wrong so I don’t know why you spooks are here or what is going on but I don’t know what is going on.” He said
“I told you, don’t be worried you are not in trouble at all, these spooks as you call them simply have a proposition for an officer who shows great promise,” said the Colonel.

Last edited:
Ahhhhh very interesting. Just out of curiosity, how big is your CSA? Does it include Missouri/Kentucky/Arizona/New Mexico?

I'm very interested in this too! If you're reaching out to England and France, might we see some brave men in butternut appearing on the Continent around 1939 and showing Jerry what's what?

Ahhhhh very interesting. Just out of curiosity, how big is your CSA? Does it include Missouri/Kentucky/Arizona/New Mexico?
1.You can count on that. who knows, US, CS and Ally troops may march into Berlin together depending on how things turn out.
And the CSA is no stranger to Europe, They send an expeditionary force to help their allies during World War I which was led by the son of CSA General Pat Cleburne
2. The Confederacy in 1936.
ScreenSave0.jpg

Now that I've started reading AAR's, this is the first CSA one I've seen, good luck. :D
Glad you're on board! i hope you enjoy it!

Being a Southern boy myself, I always like the Southern AAR's.

Good luck!

Being graced by a moderator who is also a southerner! my heart is warmed to have you as a reader! :)

Last edited:
I do have Cuba. The nation became a puppet of the CSA after the 1898 war against Spain. CSA got Cuba and Puerto Rico and the USA proceeded to claim Guam and the Philippines in the wake of the war.

hang on, i thought the Union went to war against Spain?

surely they would have any and all claims?:confused:

intriguing so far though.

later, caff

hang on, i thought the Union went to war against Spain?

surely they would have any and all claims?:confused:

intriguing so far though.

later, caff

What happened was that a CSA ship was blown up in Havana Harbor. This caused the CSA to declare war on Spain. Since the CSA is the main power in the Caribbean they snatched Cuba and Puerto Rico. The USA is a major Pacific power so they snatched the other Spanish possessions in the Pacific because of the opportunity they had to do so.
They may not like the CSA but that won't stop the USA from gaining things from Confederate actions.

Really cool set up for this AAR. It looks a lot like a Turtledove map. Get any inspirations from him? I also really like that Pat Cleburne's kid made good, returning to the mother continent and kicking butt.

Looking forward to the next update!