• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 2
Part 2

CSAflag.gif

Richmond Virginia
January 4th 1936

When James accepted the spooks proposal to help in an “overseas mission” he had no real idea what he was getting into. He probably only accepted the very vague offer of a secret job because Colonel Patton was the one who had arranged the meeting. This obviously meant that Patton liked him, and he wasn’t about to disappoint his superior.

The next thing he knew he had been given a train ticket to Richmond and told that once he was in town to report to the War Department and ask for Mr. William Buell. This was like some sort of spy novel to James. Even so, he did as he was told and on a cold January morning he found himself bounding up the steps of the War Department.

It was an impressive building, with large marble steps leading to great oaken doors behind large pillars. In front of the building itself was a memorial to those who had died during the War of Secession and guaranteed to freedom of the nation, as well as a monument to the British and French allies who had fallen alongside Confederate soldiers. It was impressive and James stopped for a moment to pay homage to those who had served before him. After a moment of silence he turned and headed to the front desk of the War Department.

As he approached the desk the blonde secretary behind the desk asked, “What can I help you with Lieutenant?”

“I’m looking for Mr. William Buell, on orders from Colonel Patton,” James said.

The secretary’s eyes widened and she said to James, “Give me one moment.”

She picked up a phone and turned her back to James. She whispered into the receiver and this only made James feel extremely anxious. Colonel Patton must be dragging him into some secret things if this was the reaction of a secretary.

“Go to basement level E and knock on the door, Mr. Buell is expecting you,” said the secretary as she turned back to face James.

With a simple thank you James went off to find the stairs to the basement level. Quickly he found stairs and descended down flight after flight. He had no idea how deep into the earth he was going, but he was certain that this was a bombproof area. He followed the stairs for a good 10 or 15 minutes before coming to a nondescript grey door that simply said, “Level E”. He knocked and waited.

With a loud thunk the door unlocked and opened. Behind it stood a man in a civilian suit, but he looked like a soldier. He motioned James in and shut and locked the door behind him.

“Follow me,” was the only thing this man said to James.

James did as instructed and they walked through a hall filled with identical grey doors with no identification on any of them. Then, the man opened a door on the right, motioned James into a waiting area and shut the door, leaving James alone.

James whistled and thought to himself, ‘This is only getting stranger and stranger.’

Eventually a very civilian looking man came into the room. James stood up to greet this man.

“Are you Lieutenant James Hughes?” questioned the man.

“That’s me,” James replied.

The man smiled and said, “I’m William Buell, come into my office.”

James nodded and followed the man into his very Spartan office. Looking around he saw that it was too bare. Then in the corner he spotted a large safe and realized that this man must be one of the head spooks, he had put away anything that could give James a hint about any possible operations that the CSA was involved in.

“Colonel Patton said that you are one of the most promising officers under his command, and I understand you have a flair for tactics correct?” asked Buell.

“Yes sir that would be correct,” replied James.

“Good, and I imagine you have heard about the situation in Ethiopia currently?” inquired Buell.

“Yes sir I have, but what does this have to do with me?” James asked.

“Well, we are going to send you to watch the fight and try and gather what the Italians are doing. There have been reports that the Germans have send a few “observers” to watch the Italians, we here at the War Department think that the Germans are teaching the Italians a new way of warfare that is being developed in Germany. We want to you go see what they are doing and report back to us.”

James stared at Buell. The last thing he wanted to do was go to some backwoods African country. This was the “secret mission” he was being sent on. What the hell was he going to get out of it?

“Sir, what exactly will I be getting out of this?” James asked pointedly.

Buell laughed and said, “If you do a good job in Ethiopia we may be able to find some other things for you to do, we need to see if you are all that Colonel Patton has said you are.”

“Well, that is fair I suppose, this just doesn’t seem particularly dangerous,” James mumbled.

Buell looked him in the eye and said, “Oh it will be, you aren’t technically allowed to be there, so you will officially be an advisor for the Ethiopian military.”

“I’m going to be helping the Ethiopians fight the Italians?” questioned James.

“Yes, so don’t get yourself killed,” Buell said.

It's back, yey! Also, our Lt. is in for a nice ride.

Good to see it's back, just love the stories about CSA...

Great AAR, Deo Vindice Southern Brother!

Chapter 3 Part 1

CSAflag.gif

2:48 pm
Over the desert outside of Hermosillo

Lieutenant Memphis O’Donnell banked his newly imported Hawker Hurricane Mk 1 over the desert outside Hermosillo. The land below him was scorched and sun baked. When he had told Major Mathews that his men would follow him to hell he did not think he and his men would actually end up in hell. Being sent to the backwater western portion of the CSA was not what he had in mind for reassignment. Oh well, it was better than a court marshal he supposed.

Memphis completed his bank and dove down towards the scorched earth. On the desert ground were a few truck size tarps that had been laid out for aircraft target and dive-bombing practice. The Hawker’s engine roared as he lined up the targets in his sights. He pressed his thumb into the trigger and the eight .303 Brownings in the wings let loose. The targets were ripped to shreds and puffs of sand exploded all around them. Memphis stayed in the dive firing as long as possible before pulling up.

As he pulled up and banked away his radio crackled to life.

“Good shooting O’Donnell, looks like you put a hurtin on them targets.”

“Thanks, do you want me to head back? I’m pretty low on ammunition.”

“Yeah, head on back to base, might as well call it a day”

“Roger, heading home.”

With that Memphis put his plane on course to head back to the CSAAF base outside of Hermosillo. As he flew he looked at the desolate landscape below. In all honesty this was a good place to practice gunning up targets. He let his mind wander as he thought about gunning up targets in the sand. Really this Hurricane was not a very good plane to do ground support. He wondered if it would be any better at dog fighting. That was something he should bring up when he got back to Hermosillo.

Barineast-ElbertaAL1955C-1.jpg

After about half an hour he brought the Hurricane down onto the dirt runway of the rink-a-dink Hermosillo CSAAF airfield. When the plane finally came to a stop and he had taxied it off the main flight line his ground crew came rushing up to the plane. By the time Memphis had opened his cockpit Higgins, his ground crew chief, had already hopped up on the wing to chat with him.

“How’d she handle up there?” questioned Higgins.

Memphis pulled off his goggles and said, “It’s okay, I wouldn’t think it is an ideal ground attack plane though.”

“Yeah, it can only carry two 250 pound bombs or one 500 pounder, not much in the way of close air support.”

“Hopefully it can do better as a fighter.”

“Here’s to hoping, want me this heap o’ junk in so you can go debrief?”

“Yeah, thanks Higgins.”

Memphis gingerly jumped down out of the Hurricane, his boots crunching onto the dirt. It was hot as hell and he was already sweating wearing all of his pilot gear. Memphis hitched a ride in a Marathon Motors truck back to the main headquarters area for debriefing.

The ride was quick and the relative coolness of the HQ was a relief since Memphis couldn’t change until his debriefing was over. He gave his report as quickly as he could, outlining the problems he foresaw with using the Hurricane as a close air support plane. Then he asked the major in charge if it would be possible to take the plane up again tomorrow, but pit it against one of the Embry Swallow Tails that they were replacing.

“I’d have to talk to the Colonel about that, but it would probably be a good idea,” the major said.

“I think it would be extremely beneficial sir to see what these planes can do,” Memphis commented.

“I do too, I’ll bring it up,” the major said, obviously ending the conversation.

Memphis smartly saluted, about faced, and made his way to the Bachelor Officer Quarters in all their glory. It had been a long day of flying, he was tired, and ready to forget about this damned desert airfield for a while.

Last edited: