The Obligatory HOI 4 Strange Screenshot (and video!) Thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Too bad the Sahara is such a poor climate to farm in... ;)

535E1DFBC67F77DCC6BEB758187A9ABE240D7AE5

Strangely, the Allies have been doing better since the Fall of France - this pocket has survived longer than the main French force did in this game. Says something about the air supply mechanic. And the Maginot forts.
20190902180220_1.jpg

Created a new one since the original thread was killed for necro despite the long-standing Paradox forum tradition for each of its titles. Please post any of your strange or amusing screenshots to keep the community alive!

I'll start. This one's more amusing than strange. I *just* completed "Unite the Anglosphere" exactly on the 4th of July, 1940. It's time for the empire to strike back....

God and my right, yankee beeches!

2019-09-24 (1).png

Last edited:
Created a new one since the original thread was killed for necro despite the long-standing Paradox forum tradition for each of its titles. Please post any of your strange or amusing screenshots to keep the community alive!

I'll start. This one's more amusing than strange. I *just* completed "Unite the Anglosphere" exactly on the 4th of July, 1940. It's time for the empire to strike back....

God and my right, yankee beeches!

View attachment 514603
Unite this you overbred cuckold. :D

CBC69C2CE4C8A8BF1184CD1AC18095D530F26E1F

Starting strong XD

Here are a few quirky occurrences which I bothered to record for posterity:

20190728215246_1.jpg

20190729220431_1.jpg
20190730183610_1.jpg

This may warrant a bug report...

Wanted to run a quick run for the Freegypt achievement, made a great startup for UK, ensuring that it will go down the "no further appeasement" branch, released myself, started preparing for the war, everything seemed to go well, until, well... Italy went down "Italy first", DOWed Greece, which was protected by Romania, which already was aligned by Germany, resulting in a full annexation of mainland Italy as well as Sicily by Germany and banishing Mussolini to Sardinia as a puppet minor of the Reich (pro gamer move for Hitler, he got to keep that juicy fleet). As I already said, I ensured, that Britain goes for "no further appeasement"... damn, they even both with France guaranteed Czechoslovakia, yet, as you might expect at this point, not only did they give Sudetenland to Germany, they gave all of Czechoslovakia to Germany later on, thus basically deciding their own faith. Then the usual Danzig WW2 start happened, Germany DOWed on Switzerland and all of Benelux, thus creating a Europe-spanning front, where, surprisingly, we were able to hold on for quite some time. I helped Britain capture former Italian, now German colonies in Africa, and went up to the Netherlands, even doing some advances on German ground. But time went on, and Germany started to slowly eat into the Allied front, so I decided to evacuate my troops... God was I right, the front-line collapsed mere weeks after that, France got double-penetrated, the Maginot-line being the only part, that held through, and as France finally surrendered, this happened:
2XgT7.jpg
The most amusing thing is, they actually were sitting there for many years, sadly I didn't catch the exact moment they were finally eaten up, but I guess it was when Japan pulled Sea-Lion and UK surrendered.

So yeah, a bit of hope arised, as Japan joined Axis and DOWed both the Onion and the Allies, and the Onion even pushed through Poland to German land... but then the front halted, and started to slowly crawl back. Even US joining did not save the situation. As soon as the Soviet Defeat was inevitable, the Allies were not salvageable any more. So, since I already got my well earned independence by selling thousands of convoys to UK, I decided to trigger a civil war, and switch sides. Than I just leaned back and watched Germans conquer the world... okay, in the meantime I actually gobbled up Iraq and Iran, as well as the remnants of the Comintern, for whatever reason Germany (and Japan) left USSR with Amur and Birobidzhan (which is particularly ironic due to it being nowadays the Autonomous Jewish Oblast in the Russian Federation) and completely ignored communist China, ignited a civil war in the US, and even threw my one and only ever built nuclear bomb on Washington DC, crippling the morale of the almost finished US and finally getting to that peace conference (in which I only got three Canadian islands lol)
2XgT8.jpg
If you look closely, you might notice, that there are two separate communist chinas (both puppets of mine), two nationalist Chinas (one being Yunnan, that ate up China and now is a Japanese puppet) and the other being a still independent transformed CC Clique, that turned into China, without absorbing it. Xibei, the most normal of these, having it's borders and being just a puppet under Japan, aaaand... a CC Clique in the Tibetan core state and ruled by no one other than the Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek himself... Also, if that is not cursed enough, both Mexico and Spain are in the Axis, yet the first one is communist, and the latter democratic, and so are their respective puppets... it actually hurts so much letting the AI do the peace conferences, God, why can't "player led peace conferences" be achievement compatible?

Last edited:
The most amusing thing is, they actually were sitting there for many years, sadly I didn't catch the exact moment they were finally eaten up, but I guess it was when Japan pulled Sea-Lion and UK surrendered.

How did they survive that long even with the maginot line? Supply must've been atrocious!

How did they survive that long even with the maginot line? Supply must've been atrocious!
I honestly have no idea, they had a little but of supply from the cities there, yet of course that doesn't help with equipment. The German AI for some reason just didn't seem to attack them all that much. Kinda felt bad for these poor souls

Here's a common one, I assume a long standing bug when D01 isn't yet created for Australia. Happens 100% of the time when appealing to Australian imperialists.

2019-09-17 (2).png

I have to say this is ahistoric! Australians lost multiple battles against the Emu's using modern weapons! They should be dominating the pacific sphere!

danish11.jpg

Right after I defeated the Axis, the USA declared war on me over Mexico. It couldn't join the Allies because the UK is fascist in this game. So Denmark made its own faction and invited the US and the Philippines to it...

Started this on the previous thread (Thank you @Beyond Disbelief for starting the new one! :)). New champ:

6238E043EB96C913CDD74821DF4CF78C8BE17789

stanley-borack-gunfighter-with-smoking-gun.jpg

Updated 1936 Heavy and Light Cruisers (Brooklyn and Wichita classes) and 1940 DDs, all with dual purpose secondaries, AA IV and Radar IV, shooting at 1936 CAS. It seems the game just lumps all the kills together and credits a single ship.

So I only have 600 hours in the game and half of them are with RT56 or Kaiserreich. But decided to start doing some achievements in the vanilla game. This one is new for me, haven't seen it before. The spanish civil war went on for so long so they just joined Axis/Comintern in 1939, so basically a month after The Molotov-Ribbentrop pact was signed, it was broken. I have no clue what will happen. Soviet has the numbers and only one front, but also the purges.

qDFZEta.jpg

So I only have 600 hours in the game and half of them are with RT56 or Kaiserreich. But decided to start doing some achievements in the vanilla game. This one is new for me, haven't seen it before. The spanish civil war went on for so long so they just joined Axis/Comintern in 1939, so basically a month after The Molotov-Ribbentrop pact was signed, it was broken. I have no clue what will happen. Soviet has the numbers and only one front, but also the purges.

qDFZEta.jpg

Ya that's definitely the weird thing when they start merging wars and allies.. the warscore mechanic gets so messed up that the smaller players takes all.. in this case, Spain would probably annex the entirety of USSR. You should post THAT screenshot as a followup! :D

I had that happen to me in my game while I was the Soviet Union. I was surprised by how long the civil war lasted, but unlike this instance Republican Spain was relegated to Barcelona and some rural farmland north of the city. So I was at war with the Axis + Nationalist Spain