• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
update:

Work on VIP:R files halted since July. :( IIRC the work on the event files is completed. Modding re-started in December but I've worked almost exclusively with MEIOU's EU3 files. In the meantime my limited spare time was almost completely spent chasing down ships of the South American navies for my naval mod.

It seems that I should do some handsoff games and then simply upload the revised hotfix...

update:

Work on VIP:R files halted since July. :( IIRC the work on the event files is completed. Modding re-started in December but I've worked almost exclusively with MEIOU's EU3 files. In the meantime my limited spare time was almost completely spent chasing down ships of the South American navies for my naval mod.

It seems that I should do some handsoff games and then simply upload the revised hotfix...
Thanks!

version 3 of my non-official Hotfix for VIP:R 0.4 is now ready for download

Another re-work of events and config files. Many more bugs and typos fixed. I've fully included the Portuguese language mod (made by Sen. Vergueiro) and parts of the Spanish language mod (made by Malatesta/CayusBonus) while also extracting parts from Mod Franchil to replace some of the English texts used as place holders. This was very beneficial for UI texts.

I've also fully re-written the read.me and the credits. Btw, credits are now also given ingame.:)

download link in post #2 has been updated

Have fun!

• 1Like
Reactions:
re: translations

All texts in the config files which have been part of the original Victoria should now be fully translated to French, German, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. The texts added by Revolutions are translated for the major part. All the events added by VIP:R come of course only in English. To fill the gaps I've used the English text as place holders for missing translations. Since VIP:R added a lot of events you'll encounter many leftovers of English text while playing.

This might change. While doing some research for my naval mod I gave Google Translate another try. To my surprise were the results quite good. It seems that I might be able to fill the gaps and even start translating the huge amount of VIP:R events - to ALL languages mentionend above. Well, this won't happen in a matter of days. Although it can theoretically be done, I don't know if I'll have the time and the endurance (and also the willingness to shelf my other mods) to finish this endeavour.

There will be another update of my hotfix. It might be uploaded in May but I make no promises. I've decided to merge all revisions of provinces, province and area names into this mod. Therefore I've plundered my still incomplete naval mod and ripped out the improved ports and the revised naval positions. The names of several naval provinces had also been revised and fixed, too. I've also started replacing non-translated (naval) province names with the missing languages.

In the meantime I've spent easily 40 hours on updating the missing languages by using Google Translate. Although I'd planned to work on my EU3 naval mod I've changed plans and opted for a fully translated VIP:R 0.4. This is work in progress and is far from being complete.

EDIT: The randomleader file saw some small additions. Several missing contributors have finally received their due credits.

Last edited:
VIP only have few country unused tags... Is there a possibility to bypass this issue?
In the pre-clausewitz era, there were a limited number of tags. The only way to make more space would be to remove nations or formables you find less useful/interesting/whatever and recycle their tags into new nations.

• 1Like
Reactions:
VIP only have few country unused tags... Is there a possibility to bypass this issue?

VIP:R 0.4 has indeed ATM only 3 unused tags (U87, U98, U99). Although another one will become available once I move the Samoans to their righful island (and remove U43 Tonga). ;) There might be additional tags which were reserved for future updates of VIP:R but you will have to check carefully. As Mr. Capiatlist already has written you can't simply add the tags you need.

What are your plans? How many tags do you actually need for your mod?

VIP:R 0.4 has indeed ATM only 3 unused tags (U87, U98, U99). Although another one will become available once I move the Samoans to their righful island (and remove U43 Tonga). ;) There might be additional tags which were reserved for future updates of VIP:R but you will have to check carefully. As Mr. Capiatlist already has written you can't simply add the tags you need.

What are your plans? How many tags do you actually need for your mod?
Well... I just want to add some nations that are exclusive in Victoria 2. Ex: Silesia, Genoa...

Last edited:
Well... I just want to add some nations that are exclusive in Victoria 2. Ex: Silesia, Genoa...

Last weekend I've checked the VIP files more closely and now I'm able to tell you that you can also use :
U78 (planned as Amazonia)
U69 (almost fully included as Sri Lanka)
U32 (planned to be Boxers)
U13 (unused as Mexican Rebels)
VIE (intended as Anti-Boxer Alliance)

My guess would be that these tags were planned to be used for VIP:R 0.5 which sadly was never published. Traces of these tags can be found in :
VIP_AIDebtHelp.txt
VIP_SoldierPOPBalance.txt
Theoretically I'd remove them but they are best kept there so that these tags might be re-used easily. You might also want to check the VIP_UncivHelp.txt file. Depending upon your plans you might want to add your newly added countries here.

If you already know which colour their uniforms should have or which names of the RandomLeader.csv file should be used, please tell me, so that I can make the appropriate changes in the country.csv file.

New version of my non-official Hotfix for VIP:R 0.4 is now ready for download

I've integrated the map files which had been part of my unfinished naval mod. Naval bases, port provinces and positions of navies and armies have been re-worked:
- Naval bases have been reworked to their historically correct locations in 1836.
- The icons for naval bases have been tweaked to show the correct icon. Base levels have been re-named for clarity.
- Positions of ports have been adjusted to locations of naval bases or major ports. Positions of armies in small port provinces have been tweaked.
- Naval province names have been re-worked, many were simply 1-2 provinces off. Numerous naval provinces have been renamed. Finally we can battle enemy fleets near Cape Finisterre, Cape Trafalgar or in Tsushima Strait. :)
- Many islands have been re-named, too. Do you remember where Paradox had placed the Samoan Islands? (the VIP South Sea nations will be re-adjusted later)
- Positions of fleets in naval provinces also tweaked.

Based on the earlier integrated language mods I've vastly expanded the number of translated events. The lines 1-9949 of the event_text.csv file are now fully translated. About 4000 lines plus all the texts scattered over the event files are still to be translated. Google Translate was really achieving this so quickly. The quality of the translations is quite good but sometimes it's an utter failure. I've spent considerable time cross-reading the german translations so that I'm fully aware that the translations are far from being perfect. Some help from native speakers would be highly welcome.

Shortcuts have been tweaked and made visible in the interface so that you can more easily use them.

In addition to an earlier expansion of the random leader names some minor additions have been made.

The read.me and the credits have been adjusted. Btw, have you checked the ingame credits? :)

download link in post #2 has been updated

Have fun!

In my newest update I've boasted about being able to fight enemy ships at Cape Trafalgar. Sure, you can do that but that province is actually named Gulf of Cadiz. The province which I'd renamed Cape Trafalgar is located at Cape St. Vincent! Sigh. :(

I've also forgotten to add the two unit icons (made by BeBro) which I'd re-used as clippers and steamers for the merchant fleet.

I've fixed these issues. Both will be remedied in the next download...

At the moment I am revising the naval ai, so that the ai does finally use its existing naval bases. I was always irritated why the ai rarely did use its existing naval bases. Therefore I've run a couple of tests just to discover that the bases entry known from HOI2 does not work in Ricky. What does work is indeed adding the provinces of the naval bases as additional patrol areas. Sigh. I'm fully reworking these for all countries. There are numerous typos, inconsistencies and omissions. While checking the ai files I've found a bunch which couldn't be triggered at all. Some vanilla map errors have finally been fixed by renaming the naval provinces.

Therefore the further translation of the event_text.csv file has temporarily stopped. 2000 lines are still missing...

I have a question about Austria... How form the Habsburg Germany? The French declaration of war against Austria isn't triggering, since AI Austria defeated Prussia in my save game and started reforms in german lands.

Last edited:
Interesting scenario! :)

It seems that the event 162354 hasn't been triggered yet. It has an offset of 7 days and can be triggered from 1866-1900 if France is not at war. But it depends on several flags being set. The major part of the setflag commands also set a value (usually 1), but for AUS_empire it is missing. That could have caused this behavior. You can easily check the actual values of the set flags by opening your savegame .eug file with an editor (notepad++ is recommended). Search for these flags:
flg_federalcorps
flg_fuerstentag
AUS_empire

Please post their values here.

re: ai files

The revision of the naval ai is progressing slowly. Once done I'll also have to revise the military building ai because there are surprisingly many countries which are allowed to build a navy although they are landlocked countries. OTOH several countries can only build small numbers of ships which are way less than they historically had. This can be fixed but whether I can fix the huge over-production of ships in the late game remains an open question...

I'd already fixed several .ai files which couldn't be triggered at all. Now I've discovered that a bunch of ai events even try to load vanilla ai files. And there are also several ai events which try to load ai files which don't even exist... Some cases can be (quite) easily fixed but others have very cryptic names so that I don't have a clue what their intended effect could have been... :(

In addition to the problem described by PauloFragaso it seems that a bunch of flags are set with a value of 0 although later ai events expect a value higher than 0. Well, that is the type of (time-consuming) bug hunt which I heavily dislike...:(

Interesting scenario! :)

It seems that the event 162354 hasn't been triggered yet. It has an offset of 7 days and can be triggered from 1866-1900 if France is not at war. But it depends on several flags being set. The major part of the setflag commands also set a value (usually 1), but for AUS_empire it is missing. That could have caused this behavior. You can easily check the actual values of the set flags by opening your savegame .eug file with an editor (notepad++ is recommended). Search for these flags:
flg_federalcorps
flg_fuerstentag
AUS_empire

Please post their values here.
AUS_empire = 3
flg_fuerstentag = 1
flg_federalcorps = 0

Good to know that a flag set with a missing value still has a value of 1. I was a little bit worried of its repercussions. ;)

OK, AUS event 111285 has been triggered, while AUS event 111286 has not been triggered yet. Event 111286 does only happen if the provinces 786+787+804+865 are owned by Austria. Transfer of ownership from SGF is handled by SGF event 260001.

Date, offset and deathdate are identical for these 3 events :
date = { day = 3 month = july year = 1866 }
offset = 5
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1870 }

Well, the SGF can only transfer provinces which it actually owns. Ownership in 1836 is:
786 - Bavaria
787 - Hesse-Darmstadt
804 - Wurttemberg
865 - Baden
If there have been no territorial changes until the creation of the SGF then the transfer of these provinces should happen. OTOH should Prussia have annexed one of these countries... What did happen in your game?

If you're already beyond 1870 I hope for you that you've kept your earlier savegames.

Keep in mind that it is recommended (IIRC) to run VIP:R with normal / normal settings so that (all) events are actually triggered.
(although I've to admit that for bug hunting and testing for CTDs I've run VIP always at max speed)

Good to know that a flag set with a missing value still has a value of 1. I was a little bit worried of its repercussions. ;)

OK, AUS event 111285 has been triggered, while AUS event 111286 has not been triggered yet. Event 111286 does only happen if the provinces 786+787+804+865 are owned by Austria. Transfer of ownership from SGF is handled by SGF event 260001.

Date, offset and deathdate are identical for these 3 events :

Well, the SGF can only transfer provinces which it actually owns. Ownership in 1836 is:
786 - Bavaria
787 - Hesse-Darmstadt
804 - Wurttemberg
865 - Baden
If there have been no territorial changes until the creation of the SGF then the transfer of these provinces should happen. OTOH should Prussia have annexed one of these countries... What did happen in your game?

If you're already beyond 1870 I hope for you that you've kept your earlier savegames.

Keep in mind that it is recommended (IIRC) to run VIP:R with normal / normal settings so that (all) events are actually triggered.
(although I've to admit that for bug hunting and testing for CTDs I've run VIP always at max speed)

I was able to fix the territorial issue giving Austria the correct provinces that you mencioned, the federal corps event triggered, but the question of unification is a little more complicated. Austria moves forward, but France does not want to surrender, the event don't appears. Paris wasn't captured, but they don't want to surrender.

Last edited:
Yep, control of Paris is essential, but luckily time is no longer crucial: the deathdate of AUS event 111273 is 1935. So you can simply wait and see what happens.

If you want to make sure that Austria wins or insure that a losing Austria can still found Greater Germany you will have to rely on hampering the french war effort by misplacing the armies defending Paris. This works best if Austria has already approached the outskirts of Paris. You can search for "location = 657" in your savegame .eug file. Do you already know the cheat 'showid'? It'll show you the number of a province in-game. Simply pick a province that is so far away that the army can no longer intervene in Paris. Also keep an eye on the prevprov and taskprov entries of the defending army.

AUS event 111273 may be triggered immediately but if not it can only be triggered every 14 days. You should be able to achieve the austrian victory by save-scumming.