• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did you get the bulk of the British Mediterranean army out? At least Germany won't be completely without a blade to their back. It'll be a dagger instead of a sword, but it'll still hurt.

I've finished reading through your other AARs, and finally caught up, so subbed!

I'm enjoying the gameplay snippets; they're excellent. The narrative is generally good. Sometimes I find it a little trite.

I'm enjoying the tension of this campaign! The Axis seem to be quite strong at this stage. They are making quite some headway into southern France. It remains to see if they smell blood, and try to capitalise on it fully.

One thing that I'm mourning from the move to the video format is the loss of operational plans and maps. In Blitz Carnage, especially, I loved the use of diagrams and maps to get a shape of the campaign. Could you possibly post some more maps and battle plans, so we can get a good idea of what's going on a larger scale?

Reactions:
I'm thinking you should devote units to the invasion of Sardinia anyway. France is a lost cause at this point and you need to take away some of the Axis bite without risking your men. Sardinia would cost them rares, a bit of IC and leadership, and give you an extra airbase to operate from. The Italians are still a key Axis player and the more you soften them up, the less they'll be able to help against the Soviets. Stopping Germany can't happen in 1940, but slowing it down by pulling its attention to the defense of its allies can work. That or you could invest a lot of men into an invasion of Italy proper, which might put your army at even more risk, but it could delay the opening of Barbarossa too, if you do it just before Spring.

Good job holding the jerries back in Belgium. I'm worried though that evacuating the BEF will be much more dangerous with a pincer closing in from the south as well as a juggernaut in the north. Any chance of ambushing the leading units driving through central France or are there no reserves to spare?

Will you allow the Axis to reconfigure their conquests in southern France to eliminate some of the supply issues?

Did you get the bulk of the British Mediterranean army out? At least Germany won't be completely without a blade to their back. It'll be a dagger instead of a sword, but it'll still hurt.

Yes, I did. All those troops around Sardina is former "Southern BEF". I lost three divisions. It's bad but not a catastophy.

I've finished reading through your other AARs, and finally caught up, so subbed!

I'm enjoying the gameplay snippets; they're excellent. The narrative is generally good. Sometimes I find it a little trite.

I'm enjoying the tension of this campaign! The Axis seem to be quite strong at this stage. They are making quite some headway into southern France. It remains to see if they smell blood, and try to capitalise on it fully.

One thing that I'm mourning from the move to the video format is the loss of operational plans and maps. In Blitz Carnage, especially, I loved the use of diagrams and maps to get a shape of the campaign. Could you possibly post some more maps and battle plans, so we can get a good idea of what's going on a larger scale?

Thanks a lot for a detailed debreif. Much appreciated. Narrative is a challenge as I want them to give a fuller feeling but yet keeping them short to not slow the all over story. I want the narrative parts but struggle to find the optimal format. So I agree with you there. Well - honestly - as Allies in this early phase of the war there is not much of a plan except responding in a flexible manner to the Axis manouvers. But advice taken. I shall try to add a little more planning.

I'm thinking you should devote units to the invasion of Sardinia anyway. France is a lost cause at this point and you need to take away some of the Axis bite without risking your men. Sardinia would cost them rares, a bit of IC and leadership, and give you an extra airbase to operate from. The Italians are still a key Axis player and the more you soften them up, the less they'll be able to help against the Soviets. Stopping Germany can't happen in 1940, but slowing it down by pulling its attention to the defense of its allies can work. That or you could invest a lot of men into an invasion of Italy proper, which might put your army at even more risk, but it could delay the opening of Barbarossa too, if you do it just before Spring.

Yeah... I guess that is more or less how I was thinking before this session ended. But worries over a rapid Fall of France and even an Axis sandwich of "Northern BEF" pulled at my attention. Well... you'll see how it turned out in next chapter ;)

Good job holding the jerries back in Belgium. I'm worried though that evacuating the BEF will be much more dangerous with a pincer closing in from the south as well as a juggernaut in the north. Any chance of ambushing the leading units driving through central France or are there no reserves to spare?

Will you allow the Axis to reconfigure their conquests in southern France to eliminate some of the supply issues?

Exactly! This worried me very much at this stage. The loss of the French Southern forces left the French belly all naked. But the answer to your last question is no - and this might aid the Allies at this stage. The "reseves" at this stage is the UK forces around Sardinia. They are the only flexible force, so my mind revolves mainly of what I can do with them. I have a few different options...

I you have more ideas how to use them I am all ears. I did a lot of thinking myself at this stage as it was between sessions. It'll be interesting to hear others thoughts.

Could you cut the Germans and Italians off from Italy? That's not the widest stretch of land and most of their troops are in a supply mess. A few motorised divisions and tanks could possibly cut them off across the Alps. Even if it was temporary it would hurt them.

If you send them to Calais, you can use the BEF to reinforce the northern front, allowing France to send more troops south.
Alternately, you could send them to Egypt or UK for defense.

Without knowing much about the relative troop strengths in the area...I'd consider a raid on Rome. Taking Sardinia would be nice, but if I were the Axis, I'd gladly trade Sardinia for a rapid victory in France. Raids on Germany probably can't land a heavy enough blow to be concerning, and they have lots of mobile forces nearby to respond. But landing in Italy within striking distance of the capital is going to force the Axis to respond or risk a major defeat. They will have to slow down their southern front, and the French and BEF can continue to slug it out in the north for a few more months.

Another option would be to locate the Italian navy and invade its port in order to force it into a losing battle at sea. If the Royal Navy can increase its freedom of movement for the rest of the war, it would somewhat offset the early defeat in France.

Could you cut the Germans and Italians off from Italy? That's not the widest stretch of land and most of their troops are in a supply mess. A few motorised divisions and tanks could possibly cut them off across the Alps. Even if it was temporary it would hurt them.

Well.. yes... that was definately one option. The downside is that I got realive few units after the French got wacked. Upside is they will have a hard time heading up in France with an invasion going on in the South.... but downside is the distinkt risk of being blitzed... Well... we'll see...

If you send them to Calais, you can use the BEF to reinforce the northern front, allowing France to send more troops south.
Alternately, you could send them to Egypt or UK for defense.

Yes... and that would have the benefit of having all my transport on the same side. I am worried about having too few transports up north should they Northen BEF be thrown back.

Without knowing much about the relative troop strengths in the area...I'd consider a raid on Rome. Taking Sardinia would be nice, but if I were the Axis, I'd gladly trade Sardinia for a rapid victory in France. Raids on Germany probably can't land a heavy enough blow to be concerning, and they have lots of mobile forces nearby to respond. But landing in Italy within striking distance of the capital is going to force the Axis to respond or risk a major defeat. They will have to slow down their southern front, and the French and BEF can continue to slug it out in the north for a few more months.

Another option would be to locate the Italian navy and invade its port in order to force it into a losing battle at sea. If the Royal Navy can increase its freedom of movement for the rest of the war, it would somewhat offset the early defeat in France.

Rome... Yes... that's far away from the front, making it hard for them to distribute their forces all over the Place. And if I could lay my hands on their stockpile... that would be nice. Still... it might not aid the French... and it forces me to keep a lot of transports down in the Med, risking to have too few around UK should the Northern BEF need a fast evac.

Italian navy is in Venecia which makes it tricky to reach. I have some of my naval forces around UK to fend of the Kriegsmarine should it venture out. Definatley risky.

Well... soon new chapter... so we'll soon know.

The Noble Carnage - Chapter VII

Amphibious attacks in Italy, supply issues in Southern France and a massive panzer attack in the North. Europe is boiling with murderous activities. Can France be saved?

Eeesh... the Allies were in a much worse position than I thought. Best of luck captain, hope you can get those British divisions around Paris out before the river does fall.

Heh... yeah, starting to look pretty tight, eh? Guess it will come down to how eager the Wehrmacht is to hunt me down.... Still - it's not that far until the Red Army can join...

The Noble Carnage - Chapter VIII

The battle of France is not likely going to end well for the Allies. The questions is... how bad? And the Red Army gets to fire of their guns...

Cpt Easy
Over and out

You did a good job getting all the British out, and that was some heroic defence of northern France! Even the idiots who ran south got out safely!

You also seem to be doing a lot of damage to German industry. That's got to put them at a disadvantage for Barbarossa. With the British army mostly intact, the British air force seemingly dominant and initiative in the Mediterranean, Britain seems poised to deal some serious payback to the Germans in the months to come. Any German campaign in North Africa is certainly a dream at this point, and without Suez, Gibraltar's loss is an inconvenience, not a crippling blow, and another point the Germans have to defend against raiders.

What is the situation in North Africa anyway? And most worryingly... will the Soviets be ready in time to face the Germans?

What do you think your chances are for holding Gibraltar? Or will the goal be to simply make the Germans bleed for it? Do you think they'll make a play for Suez as well or wait for the Japanese to do that?

You did a good job getting all the British out, and that was some heroic defence of northern France! Even the idiots who ran south got out safely!

You also seem to be doing a lot of damage to German industry. That's got to put them at a disadvantage for Barbarossa. With the British army mostly intact, the British air force seemingly dominant and initiative in the Mediterranean, Britain seems poised to deal some serious payback to the Germans in the months to come. Any German campaign in North Africa is certainly a dream at this point, and without Suez, Gibraltar's loss is an inconvenience, not a crippling blow, and another point the Germans have to defend against raiders.

What is the situation in North Africa anyway? And most worryingly... will the Soviets be ready in time to face the Germans?

North Africa is mine as much as I want. I rule the Med and Italy has not placed troops there. The Red Army... are they ever ready for the Germans? ;) We'll have to see about that. Hopefully I can be a real nuisance for the Germans when the time comes.

What do you think your chances are for holding Gibraltar? Or will the goal be to simply make the Germans bleed for it? Do you think they'll make a play for Suez as well or wait for the Japanese to do that?

Gibraltar... I dunno really. I have designed a defence I think is as good as it gets with forts, extra air fields, extra ports. A lot of AT too if they pull the same stunt as in Nice when Three panzer divisions with engineers just waded through dug in troops in a fortified city... And about Suez... I really don't know. If they pull in the Japs early it will at least mean the Yanks come in somewhat early too. Future will tell.

The Noble Carnage - Chapter IX

France is gone. The Brits are launching an amphibious operation to capture Sardinia but Italy interferes. And Axis is initiating their next big operation...

Follow the action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B3gCFcqUBE

Cpt Easy
Over and out

Last edited:
The Noble Carnage - Chapter X

Germany is throwing themselves over a war-tired Spain - clearly with the goal of reaching Gibraltar. The Allies are poised to interfere, delay and to prepare the vital defense of Gibraltar.

Follow the action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tukjGwt8Znw

Cpt Easy
Over and out

Interesting decision. Why Persia?

Those German panzer divisions... can Gibraltar really be expected to hold?