• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Russians really should be trading blows. The major advantage they have is manpower, trying to deplete that is a sound strategy. If they keep waiting German will just outproduce them...

Hmm... you may not be able to reoccupy enemy territory, but if you could extend the range of your bombers and go heavily into rockets like you are doing, you could achieve the same effect. You don't have to hold territory to destroy it. If you can force Axis industrial capacity below that of the Soviet Union, you might yet stand a chance. I say overwhelm them with air power!

However, I can't see you winning long term without that advantage. I doubt the Germans have any shortage of manpower, and with superior industrial strength, they will simply be able to overwhelm the Soviets with tanks. I'm also worried the Italians and Japanese will just keep opening new fronts until the Soviets can't plug the gaps anymore.

I share your worry. SU must really pull a rabbit out of the hat now. I can drain German IC.... but SU must halt them.

I've had no problems other than the voice level seems to drop now and then.

I think the Soviets are in for trouble. The IC is really low. I also think he is building too many resistance units and not enough regular units. If the reaction to the British landings are any indication, those units will get stomped very quickly. Seems like a waste of IC to me.

Yeah, voice lvl is a drag. I have at least solved how my skype voice is recorded. It will still be a few hickups.... but then it will be permanantly stable.

The resistance units seem like a bizarre choice. Is he hoping to throw the German supply lines into chaos or something?

Well... I agree in large to both of you. I think Alex was trying too boost officer ratio while at the same time get a stab at putting the entire German front out of supply by a massive partisan uprising. But it's a strategy a little long in the making, concidering present allarming state.

The Noble Carnage - chapter XXVI

The Red Army are fighting fiercly, at the brink of utter defeat. RAF is hammering the West - and the Army is prepairing something sinister. Oh, and the V1s are finished....

Follow the action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWFPe40ZCTo

Cpt Easy
Over and out

It seems that the Allies have to avoid that situation where the Axis can gang up against the UK at sea and the Soviets on land. I simply don't see the Soviet Union holding off the Germans, Italians and Japanese all at once, and the UK cannot beat the Japanese fleet; that's the US's job! Clearly it is essential that the Soviet Union doesn't declare war first... which kind of screws France, but France never holds anyway. Perhaps a mighty blow upon Italy could knock them out the war quickly, or the UK could try to force them out of port or destroy their navy with NAV bombers/CAGs. If the Italian fleet can be destroyed, the Axis navy becomes a lot less dangerous. If the German fleet could also be degraded ahead of time, that might give the UK a chance to see off the Japanese. However, I can't see a way to keep Japan from sending its navy over. If you could maintain a foothold in the East and prompt the Japanese to send their fleet West, you could possibly slip transports and a small fleet past them towards the Japanese Home Islands. That assumes the Japanese army is stuck in Siberia or something. Even if the Japanese respond with their fleet, they have to traipse round the whole African coast again. If they are truly off-guard, you might even take Japan!

((See, ideas like that are why I'm not a general.)

Soviet pulling their defensive line back sealed it. It shortened the war A LOT. Also tank strategy doesn't work for soviet as axis IC was superior, plus not enough tanks to cover all fronts. So yeah, it was soviet that lost this.

Lots of infantry and slow retreat until US can enter could have given hope. I've never seen soviet do well with this strategy.

It might have worked against the AI, but against an experienced human player, definitely not.

It sounds as though the Soviets might have held if they hadn't suffered that one large encirclement. Still a noble effort with so little help available to them by that point in the game.

I think the Axis had a very effective unified strategy to be as aggressive as possible as early as possible. The only downside would have been an early US entry which was effectively negated by the Soviet declaration of war. Credit to the Japanese and Italian players for impressive naval victories and cooperation as well as being major thorns in the side of the Soviets. It looks like both powers tied down a significant number of Russians during critical periods.

The Allies didn't seem to make any major strategic mistakes except perhaps a flub in the defense of southern France. But that battle as well as some later naval battles do not seem to have been unwise as much as they were close but unlucky. Had they gone slightly differently, the Allied roadblock to unlimited Axis expansion would have lasted significantly longer.

Would it be possible (taking into account house rules and game mechanics) to use English army to shore up the defence of Moscow? I think that it might have been a better use of your forces than invasion in Belgium/Netherlands.

Russia fighting Germany in the west, Italy in the south and Japan in the north was in a hopeless situation...

It was an interesting and viable strategy that the Axis used. Still, why did the Soviet player declare war? That had to be the biggest mistake of this Carnage.

It seems that the Allies have to avoid that situation where the Axis can gang up against the UK at sea and the Soviets on land. I simply don't see the Soviet Union holding off the Germans, Italians and Japanese all at once, and the UK cannot beat the Japanese fleet; that's the US's job! Clearly it is essential that the Soviet Union doesn't declare war first... which kind of screws France, but France never holds anyway. Perhaps a mighty blow upon Italy could knock them out the war quickly, or the UK could try to force them out of port or destroy their navy with NAV bombers/CAGs. If the Italian fleet can be destroyed, the Axis navy becomes a lot less dangerous. If the German fleet could also be degraded ahead of time, that might give the UK a chance to see off the Japanese. However, I can't see a way to keep Japan from sending its navy over. If you could maintain a foothold in the East and prompt the Japanese to send their fleet West, you could possibly slip transports and a small fleet past them towards the Japanese Home Islands. That assumes the Japanese army is stuck in Siberia or something. Even if the Japanese respond with their fleet, they have to traipse round the whole African coast again. If they are truly off-guard, you might even take Japan!

((See, ideas like that are why I'm not a general.)

Ha ha... a lot of advices :) No - a SU all alone is a close to impossible situation.

Soviet pulling their defensive line back sealed it. It shortened the war A LOT. Also tank strategy doesn't work for soviet as axis IC was superior, plus not enough tanks to cover all fronts. So yeah, it was soviet that lost this.

Lots of infantry and slow retreat until US can enter could have given hope. I've never seen soviet do well with this strategy.

No? Well, Soviet have had a hard time in several of our recent games - regardless of strategy. Alex and Maxiboy almost pulled it off until General Winter. Almost... not good enough though.

It might have worked against the AI, but against an experienced human player, definitely not.

Seems you are right ;) Again - SU have had a hard time in a few games. I'm curious what strategy would actually have worked. I have an itch to try them out myself ;)

It sounds as though the Soviets might have held if they hadn't suffered that one large encirclement. Still a noble effort with so little help available to them by that point in the game.

I think the Axis had a very effective unified strategy to be as aggressive as possible as early as possible. The only downside would have been an early US entry which was effectively negated by the Soviet declaration of war. Credit to the Japanese and Italian players for impressive naval victories and cooperation as well as being major thorns in the side of the Soviets. It looks like both powers tied down a significant number of Russians during critical periods.

The Allies didn't seem to make any major strategic mistakes except perhaps a flub in the defense of southern France. But that battle as well as some later naval battles do not seem to have been unwise as much as they were close but unlucky. Had they gone slightly differently, the Allied roadblock to unlimited Axis expansion would have lasted significantly longer.

I agree. A noble effort! And yes, Axis pulled of their long term strategy smartly. I didn't do my best game - but in any case - I think the penalty for early JAP entry was far too low. We will up the penalty for JAP DoW on UK and Axis taking Gibraltar. Also - IJN in the Atlantic makes it impossible for UK to be that needed thorn in the site of Germany.

Which province was it that caused the surrender progess to pass 100%?
Moscow?

Actually - Leningrad, Stalingrad and Moscow were all under attack at the same time. I think it was Leningrad and Moscow who suddenly fell - and as the battles had lasted for so long the Germans entered immediately.... giving us quite the shock.

Would it be possible (taking into account house rules and game mechanics) to use English army to shore up the defence of Moscow? I think that it might have been a better use of your forces than invasion in Belgium/Netherlands.

Russia fighting Germany in the west, Italy in the south and Japan in the north was in a hopeless situation...

No. Allied troops in SU don't get supply. Jah... pretty hopeless. Battles seem to give an extremely low threat increase on US. So threat was moving extremely slow.

In any case - next game is up and running. Some chapters are already written. Until next time.... :)

I kind of feel that the Japanese strategy was one that could have been followed in RL, but the choice went to the US attack. It would seem penalizing the strategy hamstrings the Axis pretty badly. Japan is the only counter foil against Britain the Axis might have.

Actually - Leningrad, Stalingrad and Moscow were all under attack at the same time. I think it was Leningrad and Moscow who suddenly fell - and as the battles had lasted for so long the Germans entered immediately.... giving us quite the shock.

Oh wow, so it wasn't even a "damn it I retreated one province too far" kind of defeat. Did not expect they'd take Moscow :O
Must've been some serious casualties on both sides

I kind of feel that the Japanese strategy was one that could have been followed in RL, but the choice went to the US attack. It would seem penalizing the strategy hamstrings the Axis pretty badly. Japan is the only counter foil against Britain the Axis might have.

Sure. And our goal is not to repreat WW2 exactly - so some flexibility is needed.

Oh wow, so it wasn't even a "damn it I retreated one province too far" kind of defeat. Did not expect they'd take Moscow :O
Must've been some serious casualties on both sides

No... it was bloody battles to the end. Alex and Maxyboy fought with everything they had. No easy win there. A battle worthy of a tale :)

So when can we expect the next series :)

Three chapters produced and uploaded (although not public yet). I got material for at least 4 chapters more. As late spring and summer is a time when gaming sessions generally decrease in numbers I'll wait a while longer until I start posting. In next story I give away even more information so the "real" session need to be far in advance of the published story.