• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Grand Historian

Pretentious Username | Iaponia Lead Dev
83 Badges
May 13, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
Owing to a recent surge in the amount of revised NIs that people are submitting for the suggestion thread as well as prompting from some friends, I decided to make this its own thread.

We all have that one nation we like that we look at and say; 'yes, it's fun, but the NI set could use some work'. Hence this thread; submit your revised NIs below (preferably with flavor text if you're changing that, and commentary on the why is always nice too).

I'll archive entries below like in the suggestion thread:

Byzantium (Grand Historian): http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ion-compilation-thread.1108342/#post-24430137

Portugal (Paland0, Dakkadakka127, Martynios): http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ion-compilation-thread.1108342/#post-24430352

Ragusa (Sanguine Caesar, otaats): http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ion-compilation-thread.1108342/#post-24430363

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suppose I'll inaugurate this thread with the nation that needs it the most, if only because it's just the Generic NIs put in a blender with the Religious Group: Byzantium.

(Retrieved from here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...tine-idea-set-i-e-suggested-overhaul.1063233/)

Traditions: +10% Land Morale, +1 Yearly Legitimacy
(Legitimacy speaks for itself: claiming to be the inheritors of Rome was all the rave in Europe, and Byzantium’s claim carries a little more weight than most. As for Morale – the Empire never gave up. They held off numerous attacks on Constantinople by the Turks, and continued to reconquer imperial territories from the Latin princelings of southern Greece across the decades of the early and mid 1400s.)

City of the World’s Desire: +1 Yearly Prestige
Desc: Constantinople was once the center of trade in the world, and carried with it all the architectural and intellectual grandeur that such a role would demand. The Constantinople of today is a shallow memory of those days past, but not all is lost: the name alone is enough to draw prestige, and should our empire flourish once again, it doubtlessly shall too.

Grand Tour of Manuel II: +1 Diplomatic Reputation
Desc: Faced with an onslaught of the treacherous Turks, Manuel II set out on an unprecedented tour of Europe in 1399 to raise support for the Empire; his four year trip took him from familiar Italy, to France and Germany, and even distant England, Iberia and Denmark. Being the guest of honor in so many European courts reinvigorated Latin interest in the Empire, and even now we can make use of such contacts.

Unionists and Anti-Unionists: +3% Global Missionary Strength
Desc: The Council of Florence superficially mended the great schism by acknowledging Papal Primacy and a number of Latin positions on theological issues: its effects are still felt widely today, with widespread disagreement and infighting amongst the clergy over it. Regardless of what side we come to favor, we must do so decisively and ensure that there is only one creed in our churches.

Latin Volunteers: -10% Advisor Cost
Desc: Our continued contacts with and pleas to the west have been answered time over, often in the form of small contingents led by capable men. Most of these are either adventurers, independent captains, or even travelling engineers and clergymen; granting them titles and permanent employment will see their talents put to proper use.

(While Giovanni Guistiani is properly remembered as the most famous western commander in the Siege of Constantinople – even being awarded the title of Protostrator – he was far from the only one. Venetian captains Dolfin Dolfin and Gabriele Trevisano were both given command of garrisons, engineer Johannes Grant organized the very successful counter-tunneling measures, Archbishop Leonard of Chios worked with Cardinal Isidore of Kiev to lead another garrison, and Orban approached the Byzantines before turning to the Ottos. Nevermind that anywhere from a third to a fourth of the defenders at Constantinople were Latins.)

Formalize Succession Laws: -10% Stability Cost
Desc: While the title of Despot has appointed one as the heir apparent of the Empire for centuries, there still has been no formal line of succession, and the endless court intrigues over it have thrown our Empire into civil war on more than one occasion. However, for centuries past the Palaeologus have managed to rule the Empire undisputed; now more than ever in our history are we in a position to establish laws mandating a clear line of succession to ensure that we will not have to suffer the intrigue of ages prior.

Reinstitution of the Pronoia: +10% Infantry Combat Ability
Desc: As the Empire continued to lose more land and revenue, the Pronoia system that once helped form the backbone of our army fell into unsustainability. However, with our borders resurgent, we can finally reinstitute the practice of small-scale, taxable land grants. This will grant our army a pool of professional – and more importantly, reliable – self-equipped units to draw from.

(The Palaeologus made a few reforms to the pronoia system that made the Empire more ‘feudal’ [much as I detest that term], with pronoiars being hereditary and being able to hand out grants of their own. As we’re now getting into the theoretical ideas, there wouldn’t be much of a reason why a resurgent Byzantium wouldn’t try to reinstitute this system, especially between continued debt – as pronoiars paid for their own expenses and doubled as tax collectors – and the fact that the empire’s dependence on foreign mercenaries was its undoing at multiple occasions.)

Repopulation of the Countryside: +10% National Tax Modifier, -10% Culture Conversion Cost
Desc: Nonstop warfare, Turkish raids, overtaxing and migration have all contributed to the depopulation of our Empire’s heartland. With our borders secure now, however, we can begin to change that: inviting numerous Albanian and Serbian tribes to settle within our borders, while granting incentives for native Greek clans to resettle along the borders will not only help rebuild our tax base, but ensure that we can more effectively control it.

(Resettling has always been a favorite strategy of the Byzantines, and it continued into the Empire’s last days; Theodore I of Morea invited a number of Albanian tribes to settle in the peninsula to help repopulate it. Then, of course, there was the large-scale return of Greeks to Asia Minor, made possible as the Ottomans made travel and resettlement largely safe due to their conquests – similar conditions would have easily arose under a stable Byzantine government [nevermind the guilty pleasure of every BYZ player being converting Asia Minor to Greek]. Tax or Manpower would work equally well with this one, but as Restoring the Theme System gives you +25% Manpower, Tax would be more prudent in my opinion.)

Ambition: -10% Core Creation Cost
(This is really just the most fitting ambition for Byzantium, especially given all the cores they've lost since release.)

I'll happily help to inaugurate this thread, too :). I've developed this set with the help of @Martynios and especially @Dakkadakka127 . @Dakkadakka127 wrote the flavour text for the Portuguese Tercios and brought this NI up, so many thanks to you.

I want to add that there are NI sets so obviously weak and bad at nearly everything which just aren't bearable. Especially, if such NI sets belong to quite successful countries like poor Portugal. Their only redeeming quality is the part about colonisation, but everythin else is either weak or completely useless.
Traditions:
+5%
Trade efficiency
+30% Trade range
Legacy of the Navigator
+25%
National sailors modifier
+25% Colonial range
Afonsine Ordinance
+10%
Goods produced modifier
Feitorias
+10%
Global trade power
Encourage the Bandeirantes
+1
Merchant
Royal Absolutism
−15%
Construction cost
+0.10 Yearly absolutism
Land before Faith
+15
Global settler increase
Open up the Guilds
+10%
Trade efficiency
Ambition:
+20%
Global tariffs
As colonisation should be a key part of the Portuguese set, I would only add a unique bonus for Portugal to the set in the form of reduced colonial upkeep. This would help them to get their colonial empire going. At the moment, it's quite hard to get started, as the Berbers as well as other threats like the BBB come knocking and Portugal's economy is in a terrible spot in 1444.

Another important aspect for a colonial nation certainly is its navy. At the moment Portugal only receives a buff to its sailors pool which is lacking compared to other naval nations. Adding military bonuses for their navy would be ahistorical though, but giving them a buff to their naval manoeuvre value would certainly represent Henry the Navigator's heritage better.

Trade should certainly play a prominent role in a Portuguese NI set, yet having 5 of 12 modifiers dealing with this aspect is overkill. The double appearance of trade efficiency as tradition and as an own idea is boring and underpowered. The 5% trade efficiency and 30% trade range increase make the Portuguese traditions one of the worst there are. Instead bundling a few NI modifiers into one idea opens up a space for one new NI.

I would suggest to use this free NI for the Portuguese Tercios which would reduce the shock damage taken by 15%. This wouldn't make the Portuguese set the best military set or even slightly OP, but just give them a minor defensive edge in the early game, coinciding with the historica time frame.

Thus:
Traditions:
+25%
National sailors modifier
+2 naval leader manoeuvre
Legacy of the Navigator
+25%
Colonial Range
-50% Colonial upkeep
Afonsine Ordinance
+10%
Goods produced modifier
Feitorias
+10%
Global trade power
+10% Trade efficiency
Encourage the Bandeirantes
+1
Merchant
+30% Trade range
Portuguese Tercios
After seeing the success of our Spanish neighbors, we have taken it upon ourselves to emulate their military formations. Just as they have crushed all before them in Europe, we shall do so overseas. Our new empire shall grow and prosper with the Portuguese steel will, and our enemies will tremble before our pike and shot!

-15% Shock damage received
Land before Faith
+15
Global settler increase
Royal Absolutism
−15%
Construction cost
+0.10 Yearly absolutism
Ambition:
+20%
Global tariffs

Here is my suggestion for a revised set of Ragusan National Ideas (made with help from @otaats). It's mostly just tweaking their vanilla NI's by changing one or two here and there, as they are already decent, just in need of a bit of work in my opinion. Therefore to avoid being redundant I won't bother to explain the vanilla ideas I haven't changed.

28px-Traditions.png
Traditions:
+10% Trade Efficiency
+10% Global Trade Power
28px-Fort_defense.png
Walls of Ston:
+10% Fort Defense
28px-Idea_cost.png
The South Slavic Athens:
-5% Idea Cost
-10% Institution Embracement Cost
28px-Diplomatic_reputation.png
Patronage:
+1 Diplomatic Reputation
28px-Naval_force_limit_modifier.png
Ragusan Arsenal:
+20% Naval Force Limit
28px-Shipbuilding_time.png
Port Gruz:
-5% Shipbuilding Time
-5% Ship Costs
28px-Production_efficiency.png
Ragusan Manufactories:
+10% Production Efficiency
28px-Prestige.png
Palace of the Rector:

+1 Yearly Prestige
28px-Idea_bonus.png
Ambition:
+10% Morale of Navies

The following ideas are the same as in the current vanilla version of the game and thus should not require explanation: Port Gruz, Ragusan Arsenal, Ambition.

What follows is my justification for each of the new/changed ideas.

Traditions:
The vanilla traditions already represented the Republic well, but I decided to change the second modifier from Trade Power Abroad to Global Trade Power as I felt that it more accurately portrays just how vastly influential this city state was in Balkan and Mediterranean trade.

Walls of Ston:
The fortifications surrounding the city of Dubrovnik were among the strongest in Europe at the time, and remain some of the best-preserved medieval-era defensive structures on the continent. As a testament to the strength of these walls, I believe Ragusa should receive a bonus to Fort Defense.

The South Slavic Athens:
The city of Dubrovnik experienced a golden age during the Renaissance: literature both in Latin and the Croatian vernacular flourished in the city during this period, while strong cultural ties to the Italian mainland allowed for even further advancement. The city was also among the most technologically advanced in the entirety of Europe: having the first ever modern sewage system, a pharmacy, etc. Ragusan scientists such as Ruggiero Giuseppe Boscovich (Ruđer Josip Bošković) made several contributions to emerging fields such as optics. Thus, I feel discounts to Idea Cost and Institution Embracement Cost would fit their National Ideas quite nicely.

Patronage:
This was actually a vanilla Idea which I changed from granting an extra Diplomat to giving Diplomatic Reputation instead. Like the Savoyards, officials from Ragusa were often called upon by foreign powers as mediators in international treaties and diplomacy. This coupled with their vast influence on trade, allowed for Ragusa to have a wide diplomatic reach, even becoming the first state to recognise the independence of the US from Britain. Thus, I feel they should be given the same boost to Diplomatic Reputation as Savoy to reflect their similar role.

Ragusan Manufactories:
Not only was Ragusa an important centre for European trade with the East, it also produced several valuable goods, such as Dyes, Glass, Cloth, Salt, and Wine. The city was among the first in Europe to have dedicated manufactories and workshops producing Glass and Dyes, providing these resources to much of the continent. This I feel would be best-represented by giving Ragusa a boost to Production Efficiency.

Palace of the Rector:
The Rector was the Ragusan equivalent of the Venetian Doge, being elected in much the same way, and ruling from a palace located in the centre of the city. In vanilla this Idea gives a 10% boost to National Tax, but I feel that the palace was more a symbolic representation of the city's wealth and power and thus should instead grant a boost to Yearly Prestige.

Thanks for creating this thread! It'll be interesting to see what people come up with :)

Last edited:
New Kongolese Ideas (For Nations with the Kongolese Idea Group)

The Kongolese idea group is used for many nations, but it isn't that great.
This new idea group is mostly an improvement.

Kongolese Traditions
+1 Attrition for Enemies
-10% Land Attrition

+10% Infantry Combat Ability
+1 Land Leader Shock
36px-Infantry_combat_ability.png
Land_leader_shock.png

Bonuses about attrition tend to be not that effective.
Those army quality bonuses on the other hand, make competing with other nations a bit more easy.
1)The Kongo River Basin
+10% Fort Defense
+1 Land Leader Maneuver
Land_leader_maneuver.png

Fort defense is useless to the Kongolese nations, because they are too poor to even afford forts.
Land leader maneuver is more useful, especially considering the low supply limit of the Kongolese provinces.
2)Elephant Hunts
+10% National Manpower Modifier
-10% Shock Damage Received
36px-Shock_damage_received.png

3)Aristocratic Merit:
-10% Stability Cost Modifier (Not Changed)
-0,025 Monthly Authonomy Change
36px-Stability_cost_modifier.png
36px-Autonomy.png

Stability cost modifier alone doesn't change much, but the authonomy reduction makes it a bit more valuable.
4)Initiation Rites
-10% Infantry Cost
+25% National Manpower Modifier

36px-National_manpower_modifier.png

5) Aggressive Migration

-10% Culture Conversion Cost
-15% Core Creation Cost
Diplomatic Monarch Points are the least useful ones, unless you are going for a world conquest.
Core creation cos reduction is a better bonus overall.
36px-Core-creation_cost.png

6)Subordinate Chiefs

-1 National Unrest (Not Changed)
-5 Years of Separatism
42px-National_unrest.png
36px-Years_of_separatism.png

7)The Ivory Trade
+10% Trade Efficiency
+10% Goods Produced Modifier

36px-Goods_produced_modifier.png

The kongo trade node isn't particularly good, but gaining more from production is interesting, especially considering the copper (for early game) iron (mid-late game) and ivory producing provinces in the area.
Kongolese Ambition
+1 Leader(s) Without Upkeep
+25% Manpower Recovery Speed
36px-Manpower_recovery_speed.png

Last edited:
I would be very sad to see all the useless ideas go and be replaced by more useful ones, what about us players that don't want to have really powerful ideas? I personally like the challenge of having to outdo my opponents that have an ideas advantage over me

Ruthenia is a challenging nation to form, and doesn't reward you in a lot of ways for forming it. Russia is much easier to form, and gives you much stronger synergistic perks. I understand it's for historic accuracy, but with minor changes Ruthenia could give an interesting new route for a different future of East Slavs

Red = remove
Green = add
Yellow = optional

----------------

The Mother of Russian States

This one is relatively weak. I guess the fear was that, with Tsardom government reform, the nation would be expected to become sprawling and would recover too quickly from poor legitimacy related choices, but 0.5 is low. Not to mention, not every nation forming Ruthenia gets the Tsardom government reform, particularly in the case that if you're not a Russian Principality/Veche Republic. Reward the player for whatever reform they took regardless

+0.5 Yearly legitimacy -> +1 Yearly legitimacy
+0.5 Yearly prestige -> +1 Horde unity
+0.3 Republican tradition

----------------

Zaporozhian Cossacks -> Charge of the Free Men
"The land of the Rus has seen a long history of war, our identity was forged in the flames of conflict against manipulative tyrants and savages seeking to relinquish us of our freedom. From the Druzhina, to the Cossacks, no one can deny our people's martial tradition."

15% cav ability is more fitting for nations that have an actual history of soldiers whos strategy revolved around pristine horsemanship, like the Altaic or Bedouin cultures. The Cossacks themselves were known for being great horsemen but mainly for their willingness to fight as well as being frontiersmen against the tatars that were present in their borders at the time. Making their units stronger in shock phase as a whole instead of just the cavalry makes the nation more unique IMO
+15% Cavalry combat ability -> 10% (or maybe 15%) Shock damage
+0.5 Army tradition

----------------

Reuniting Rus'
+5% Administrative Efficiency
OR +1 Colonist
OR +10 Maximum absolutism
I understand that siberia probably isn't something that people in the area would consider colonizing if they were to depose the Muscovite princes, but the loss of Siberian Frontier makes colonizing the east that much more time consuming, it should be easier considering that the Cossacks at the time were used to harsh living conditions already.

−5 Years of separatism