• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I_Killed-Kenny said:
sorry Birger Jarl, but I have a what if Flag... the iberian one ;) If spain or aragon or Portugal controls all of Iberia one should be habble to use the flag ;) I mean... this toguether with som cool events of cource!

we could use the one in Kaigon's site :D

But then where is the end to all the what-if flags? If Sweden controls England, should they not have that represented in their flag? Or if Venice controls France? And so on...

Hive said:
But then where is the end to all the what-if flags? If Sweden controls England, should they not have that represented in their flag? Or if Venice controls France? And so on...

Such what-if flags can be for small mods and/or they year 2007 :p

But What-If flags that can be hidden in existing vanilla events b_options (like Sigismund), that thought I like :D

After the historical options are cleared of course ;)

Other What-Ifs that could be funny would be a 'Monarchist Republic Tricolore', a tricolore with a fleur-du-lis for the weakest french revolution event.
Also for France - maybe some alternate french flags for french minors becoming france? (Navarra, Flanders, Brittany, Orleans etc)

(Since I can't make flags I have to contend myself with tossing out ideas;))

I'll have to repeat the serious wish for an alternate china flag though.

Hive said:

Think of the download size with all those what-if graphics :)

Nikolai II said:
But Meiji restoration was mid 19th century, right?

What crest/flag was used in game period?

Imperial/shogunate stuff or?
The way I understand it---and I may very well be wrong---Japan did not really have a flag before the Meiji Restoration. They wouldn't have needed one, being so isolationist that they did not typically come into diplomatic contact with other powers. I assume Paradox just used the post-Meiji flag because there was no better alternative. The Rising Sun motif had been used by important Japanese clans in the past.

Citizen Psmith said:
In 1801, yes. Officially, this was just taking the opportunity of a necessary change to the royal style (to reflect the Act of Union with Ireland) to drop an anachronistic claim, but it's generally thought that there were diplomatic reasons as well to help relations with the Napoleonic regime (not that it made much eventual difference...).
Yes, I have always heard it was to appease the French that George III dropped "King of France" from his list of titles. His advisors actually wanted him to adopt "Emperor of the British Dominions" in its place, but he refused....

Lachlan said:
The way I understand it---and I may very well be wrong---Japan did not really have a flag before the Meiji Restoration. They wouldn't have needed one, being so isolationist that they did not typically come into diplomatic contact with other powers. I assume Paradox just used the post-Meiji flag because there was no better alternative. The Rising Sun motif had been used by important Japanese clans in the past.

I'd like either the Shogun's crest

Tokugawa
001-m01a.gif

Or perhaps the emperors flag (might be too new though)
jp-r-emp.gif

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/j/jp-r-emp.gif

But I agree that the red sun is rather ingrained by now..

Hey, I had an idea for your GUFSM... maybe you guys could have evolving shield styles as the game progresses?

Like for example, have BJ's medieval shields in the beginning, and then when it gets to the baroque era, change to the current style shields, and then as it gets to the Age of Nationalism, then change to the big HoI-style flags?

What do you think?

Johan said:
I'd love to see a GUFSM version with shields with the same pictures on them as the flags :)

I'd even put in a few U-tags in the next beta-patch then :)

I'm sorry if it's not possible but couldn't you include a command to make a country change ghraphics.

labalag said:
I'm sorry if it's not possible but couldn't you include a command to make a country change ghraphics.
Uh like we have now? ;)
I think a flag-same-as-shield GUFSM shouldn't be too tough, I think there are only a few states that have a different shield than a flag.

Lachlan said:
The flag wasn't associated with a specific house, though, was it? I have read (admittedly in one of the most inaccurate school textbooks I have ever had the misfortune of being assigned) that the Hinomaru ("Rising Sun") flag was suggested at the time of the Meiji Restoration by the head of the Satsuma family, to reflect the mythical descent of the Japanese from the sun goddess.

Eep! If they translate Hi no maru like that, it WAS an inaccurate textbook :p To my knowledge, Hi no mary means litterally 'sundisk'

Eldin said:
Eep! If they translate Hi no maru like that, it WAS an inaccurate textbook :p To my knowledge, Hi no mary means litterally 'sundisk'
Oh, believe me, it was inaccurate---it says that Breton is a dialect of French, that England conquered Scotland, that the flag of Scotland is only used by nationalists, and at least one other thing I have forgotten. And those are just from the chapters on Britain and France, which were the two countries in the book that I knew the most about, so for all I know the other chapters are just as inaccurate.

Nikolai II said:
Other What-Ifs that could be funny would be a 'Monarchist Republic Tricolore', a tricolore with a fleur-du-lis for the weakest french revolution event.
Also for France - maybe some alternate french flags for french minors becoming france? (Navarra, Flanders, Brittany, Orleans etc)

In fact the White Colour in the Tricolour originally meant the Monarchy :p
French CoA changed lots of time and for sure added the arms of Navarra since Henri IV :p

From Charles VII to Henri III, From Louis XIV to Louis XVI and From Louis XVIII to Louis XIX:

France_Moderne.gif

Henri IV and Louis XIII:

France_Navarre.gif

Napoleon

Bonaparte_Imperial.gif

The Republic had no official CoA

MKJ, I can think of some countries which CoA and flag were different as Spain, France, England, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark...

Txini said:
MKJ, I can think of some countries which CoA and flag were different as Spain, France, England, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark...

Actually France have the "same" flag and coat of arms in GUFSM.

Some more that need to be changed:

Aragon,
Austria,
Burgundy,
Byzantium,
Croatia,
Friesland,
Georgia,
Granada,
Haiti,
Hannover,
Hellas,
Hungary,
Ireland,
Kalmar Union,
Kurland, Luxemburg,
Mexico,
Navarre,
Nippon,
Novgorod,
Papal States,
Ragusa,
Schleswig-Holstein,
Schwyz,
Scotland,
Serbia,
Tuscany,
USA,
Venice,
Wurzburg,

Navarra:
Charles_II_Navarre.gif

Navarra since Juan of Aragon:
Aragon_Navarre.gif

Navarra since Francis of Foix:
Navarre_Foix.gif

Navarra since Jean d'Albret:
Henri_II_Navarre.gif

Navarra of Antoine de Bourbon:
Antoine_Navarre.gif

Navarra of Henri de Bourbon before becoming King of France:
Henri_III_Navarre.gif

Navarra since Henri de Bourbon:
France_Navarre.gif

Aragon:
Aragon_Sicile.gif

Aragon of Juan II:
Aragon_Navarre.gif

After Juan II the other shield is recovered.

Spain of their Catholic Majesties:
Aragon_Castille.gif

From 1492:
Ferdinand_II_Aragon.gif

From Carlos I to Felipe II's inheritance of Portugal, recovered after Portugal's Independence:
Charles_Quint.gif

From Felipe II's inheritance of Portugal to Portuguese Independence:
Philippe_II_Espagne.gif

Bourbons:
Philippe_V_Espagne.gif

or Felipe V and Fernando VI:
Philippe_V_Espagne_G.gif

and since Carlos III:
Charles_III_Espagne.gif

Portugal:
Portugal_Moyen.gif

Portugal since 1458: