The next Europa Universalis IV expansion: Mare Nostrum!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pretty sure they had to rush the announcement due to Johans epic fail.
I think they can pretend for something like oh hey guys that was a perfect name for the next expansion so I will consider it or even say something like oh I just kidding or sort.

By the way, when did he expose his secret? I am pretty sure that I never see this.."Mare nostrum" anywhere in Paradox site before.

Leaking the name ruined everything. Probably would buy it if that didn't happen. Be more careful next time cause staging release of info is very important for reasons.

Knowing the name of a DLC is going to stop you from buying it?

It could be called 'dlc pack 5' for example and it would still be just as good / bad.

It is only a name...

Reactions:
So there's actually no new naval combat mechanics ? Is it still a dumb stack war ending in an instant wipe for the loser ?

I hope not!

If sailors are used like manpower is, you would only lose sailors rather than boats.

EDIT: I meant I hope mechanics have changed and for example, using sailors as manpower would reduce the problem of instant wipe

Last edited:
Reactions:
So there's actually no new naval combat mechanics ? Is it still a dumb stack war ending in an instant wipe for the loser ?
Whether there are naval combat changes or not, I would not expect them to be in the DLC. Unless they are in the patch they would then have two combat systems to maintain.

Reactions:
Among the many changes coming in Mare Nostrum is the idea of "sailors". Similar to the manpower statistic you are already familiar with, sailors will be required if you want to build or repair your ships.
Wow.

I hope not!

If sailors are used like manpower is, you would only lose sailors rather than boats.

You realize there's is quite a room for nuance between losing ALL ships and losing NO ships ?

Currently the naval game consist in assembling all your ships in a Great Armada and facing against the opposing Great Armada. Loser either disengage and is stuck at port for the rest of the war or lose all his ships.

There's no strategy, no depth, no realism, no gameplay involved.

For now i have seen nothing in the DD or this announcement that will make naval warfare more interesting, but here's hoping.

Reactions:
I wonder if the addition of sailors will make galleys even less useful.

Right now the best use for galleys was to spam them in large quantities, and fast. But now as there is "naval manpower" it might be best to go for a quality over quantity approach.

Reactions:
Pretty sure they had to rush the announcement due to Johans epic fail.
Not really an epic fail, nor did it have much impact what-so-ever and only lead to a great number of guesses as to what it included. Try to remember, that these announcements have been prior to release many times before where Johan didn´t slip the title early on, so no rush there, only means that the expansion is being released in short time :)
I think they can pretend for something like oh hey guys that was a perfect name for the next expansion so I will consider it or even say something like oh I just kidding or sort.

By the way, when did he expose his secret? I am pretty sure that I never see this.."Mare nostrum" anywhere in Paradox site before.
He did seem to slip it during a session he stated when answering a question about an exploit, "yeah, we´ll fix that in Mare Nostrum" followed by short silence from the others... It wasn´t officially written, but it was slipped and been confirmed now :)

Reactions:
Condottieri mechanics are pretty cool. Everything else seems kind of meh though?

I like the idea of being able to offer friendly countries troops. Like when you want an ally to win a war but don't want to get too involved yourself.

I'm really surprised the sailors idea never happened sooner though. Before, it'd be very possible to have a huge fleet as say Ragusa as long as you had the money. Doesn't make sense in reality.

Reactions:
I feel like the base EU4 is struggling to juggle all these expansions, I don't thInk it was ever designed to have all these features interacting with each other like this.

However I am looking forward to more in depth naval play, I always found playing as an island nation kinda boring although now there's even more things for me to run short of, going to have to impress Americans to keep my navy going.

Reactions:
Condottieri mechanics are pretty cool. Everything else seems kind of meh though?

I love the idea of naval missions. And of trade leagues, too.

Nice trade leagues means the hansa will show up again.
As for naval combat I hope that two hostile navies with missions in the same region will fight series of small battles. I don't see regular movement of navies removed though, which is sad sicne the whole "armies" on the sea makes about as little sense as something possibly can.

As for condoterri, I guess it's fine, if it does nto result in even more blobbing (The HRE is blobbing like crazy as is).

Huzzah! For a game set in the great period of naval and sea-trade expansion, this is a an excellent addition.

I presume that the fellow in the picture is an Ottoman or Barbary sailor of some sort? Given how the Safavids had no navy and the Mughals had no great one.

That would be (Barbarossa) Hayrettin Pasha, the Barbary sailor later who become Ottoman Admiral.

Reactions:
Don't get me wrong, I love EUIV, but this DLC thing is trully getting out of hand. You guys just launched The Cossacks!
It´s been like that for a long time now, they even released less DLC last year than scheduled, believe it was 4 but only released 3. And having these "smaller" DLC coming out every 4 month on average is a good thing to me personally, though a bit pricey... But then just make a smaller pause from the game and grab them on a discount ;-) then bugs will be ironed out aswell :)

Reactions: