• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello True believers! ;)

Believe it or not, I am still around and looking forward to starting a mod for HOI3/Semper Fi. It would have happened sooner but from the reports Ive been seeing in the HOI3 forums suggest that it seems like there was still a lot of work to do before HOI3 had some serious bugs fixed. And as many of you know, I prefer to patch infrequently but substantially- I dont have time to be bringing new updates for a mod out after every patch/update from Paradox.

My apologies for those who still play HOI2/ARMA etc who are still eager for the Turtledove mod for these platforms. Ive not played ARMA for a while now but maybe Ill come back to it-life is busy at th mo-which is part of the reason the mod has kind of fallen behind-on top of the dissapointment I felt at HOI3 appearing to be sub par.

Got to go to work now-may post more later.

Welcome back, HMS!

I'll be starting my own SF modding soon--please let me know if I can help you!

Still playing myself...wish I had more time for all of these.

Welcome back, HMS!

I'll be starting my own SF modding soon--please let me know if I can help you!

Cheers dude. Im sure I will be PM-ing you with 'help, how do I-' type queries at some point in the future! ;)

On a more general note to those who still follow the mod. I did start an ARMA version of the mod- I had a shiny new load screen and everything plus various gameplay tweeks/additions etc. When I heard about HOI3 I stopped work on it. In my excitement I think I forgot that Paradox games are horrible on first release and should have remembered that I probably had a good year before I would be playing HOI3... doh.

Then I guess I lost heart a bit. Apologies to all the fans of the mod. I guess it seems like I abandoned the mod. In some ways, I guess I did. But I hope you all see that wasnt the intent-the aforementioned reasons coupled with real life stuff got in the way.

On a side note, I actually bought HOI3 yesterday, havent installed it yet-still waiting for Semper FI to hopefully sort the game out. I hear that the provice layout for the N. American continent doesnt follow the state borders-which if true is going to make modding CSA, Quebec, possibly California more difficult. Meh. Any thoughts/issues/advice on potential issues for a HOI3 style Turtledove mod- do let me know. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

I have HOI3 have not installed it. Was planning on doing so but life keeps taking these weird twists, like me ending up in Germany...

I hear that the provice layout for the N. American continent doesnt follow the state borders-which if true is going to make modding CSA, Quebec, possibly California more difficult. Meh. Any thoughts/issues/advice on potential issues for a HOI3 style Turtledove mod- do let me know. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

I'm pretty sure that that is correct, provinces don't exactly follow the state lines.

However, provinces in HOI3 are alot smaller and more numerous there than they were in HOI2, so you'll have more room for fudging. You'll also have more of an ability to convey the epic scale of the conflict. Just for refrence, for example, the distance between a province roughly in northern Kentucky and the province of Sandusky (yes, its an actual province) is 5 provinces in a direct line. The rough area of the state of Ohio is something like 20 provinces.

So, yeah, its much bigger, which should help.

With the theater AI system and the ability to mod it, you should also have less of a "computer sends most of its army to Africa" problem that caused the creation of African puppet states.

Map wise, the HOI3 map is more easily modded than the HOI2 map, and in fact several mods have been released of it.

Problem wise, well, its bigger. You have more things to mod. Full judgment on this is going to have to wait till semper fi comes out, however, and we see how many of the issues in 1.4 it solves and what bugs/wonkyness it contains.

A few issues that are still around, so far as I know:
1) Threat can still quickly get out of control for axis nations if they don't know what their doing, resulting in a rush to the allies by all nations everywhere in the world. This can be manageable if the player knows enough to use spies to raise allied nations threat. The dday mod also deals with some of the core mechanical issues, so you might want to look at it.
2) Naval combat is in many ways still very wonky. Supposedly improved in SF, guess we'll see.

Overall, assuming SF is the improvement it looks to be, an HOI3 Turtledove mod should actually be genuinely superior in every way.

Hi,

I'm just wondering if this mod is still available as I have downloaded it but the download did not include a readme. any idea what i should be doing?

Get the JSGME utility and drop the files into the mod folder.

Incidentally, I'd like to load this up again. Has anyone managed to get Japan to function, and not collapse in China?

Get the JSGME utility and drop the files into the mod folder.

Part of his problem, btw, might be that the download links are no longer good and the only copies of the mod currently floating around are of a zip file of the installed mod, which makes someone who hasn't installed it previously a bit confused as to what to do. :)

Might want to upload it again.

Okay, I followed thw instructions using JSGME but when I run the game, the game just runs as the vanilla game but with the turtledove skins. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Hmm, hard to say. Check the folders in the HT mod master folder. There should be AI, Db, config, scenarios etc etc, all with relevant files within these folders.

If they are there as they should be then I dont really have an explanation as to why you are only getting skins.

Good to know you're back Enterprise! I've got a slight bit of experience modding HOI3 so I might be able to help, and as always still interested in Turtledove's timeline so if you need any help 'researching' anything just let me know!

Good to know you're back Enterprise! I've got a slight bit of experience modding HOI3 so I might be able to help, and as always still interested in Turtledove's timeline so if you need any help 'researching' anything just let me know!

Cheers, tho Ive never really been far away, just hovering around waiting for HOI3/SF to be patched to a decent level and also waiting for vicky2 to come out.

But thanks for the offer to help, Im sure I'll be needing some assistance.

Well as much fun as HOI3 SF is, I don't know if it would work well with a Settling Accounts mod. You've probably heard (if you haven't experienced it yourself) that HOI3 is less of a World War 2 simulator and more of an open ended war game. So trying to emulate the specific events in Settling Accounts would be pretty difficult. But that's just my two cents.

Well as much fun as HOI3 SF is, I don't know if it would work well with a Settling Accounts mod. You've probably heard (if you haven't experienced it yourself) that HOI3 is less of a World War 2 simulator and more of an open ended war game. So trying to emulate the specific events in Settling Accounts would be pretty difficult. But that's just my two cents.

But you know, taking Turtledove's set-up and going where events take you afterwards could be a lot of fun. I know I'm having a blast with EU3, and it's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to giving SF a serious go.

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time posting here. Let me start by thanking Chaos128 for finally offering me the opportunity to download this mod! The Turtledove series, while a little redundant at times, was an amazing read. Hell, this mod and Confederate Armageddon were the reasons I purchased hoi2 in October!

I always figured that in the case of an Entente victory, there should be an event splitting the defeated U.S. into more manageable pieces. Canada taking Montana and Maine for instance, and perhaps Britain or France moving to puppet a few states?

Leaving such a large country as the U.S. intact, even I.C.-gimped, would be asking for trouble.

I also see the CSA occupying Washington D.C. post-victory.

Van

But really, unless you wanted to, this is no different than HOI2 was. Sure, some events are a little less hard coded (of course, if players *did* anything unexpected, those hard coded events would often be silly at best and wonky at worst) sure, but, really, it's got the rough amount of historicity as HOI2 did, nudges towards it which the player could easily, if they wished, derail.

Since our knowledge of the war in TL-181 is necessarily a lot more vague (we know nothing of the European theater but the vaguest strokes, outside of the Kentucky-Ohio area, Virginia, and Texas, we know almost nothing, we only know the broadest strokes of the naval war, etc) its both harder to stay "on course" and a lot more excusable to go off it.

Honestly, the charm of the TL-181 WW2 set up is the meta-strategical situation. The USA, which is generally boring to play in the normal game, becomes a genuine challenge in this mod, for one thing, and for that alone the mod is worth it.